Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Inwood Hill Park

Old 08-25-20, 04:57 PM
LarryS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Inwood Hill Park

Does anyone have any experience riding in Inwood Hill Park. In addition to the word Hill in the name I read that its pretty hilly.
The park sounds fantastic, but I was curious about people's experience with it as far as hills are concerned.

Thanks
Old 08-25-20, 07:45 PM
dendawg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I have ridden the path up to the HEnry Hudson Bridge. Hilly is an understatement, :-)
Old 08-26-20, 05:33 AM
LarryS

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dendawg
I have ridden the path up to the HEnry Hudson Bridge. Hilly is an understatement, :-)
Thanks for the "Good" news:
I've seen the Henry Hudson Bridge from Metro-North so I know how high it is, which is why I always used the Broadway Bridge to go to the West Side Greenway.
I was wondering if you could ride the park itself without having to deal with too many steep hills. My frame of reference would be the North County Trail where you have some lengthy but moderate grades (1.5%).
Thanks
Old 08-26-20, 08:45 PM
dendawg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by LarryS
Thanks for the "Good" news:
I've seen the Henry Hudson Bridge from Metro-North so I know how high it is, which is why I always used the Broadway Bridge to go to the West Side Greenway.
I was wondering if you could ride the park itself without having to deal with too many steep hills. My frame of reference would be the North County Trail where you have some lengthy but moderate grades (1.5%).
Thanks
https://www.alltrails.com/explore/tr...-view-full-map
For that loop it shows 282' of elevation gain, but doesn't give the grade of the hills
Old 08-27-20, 07:40 AM
LarryS

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dendawg
https://www.alltrails.com/explore/tr...-view-full-map
For that loop it shows 282' of elevation gain, but doesn't give the grade of the hills
I created an Alltrails account to download sample rides as a gpx file.
The following is just a tiny sample of rides:
2.4 Miles 8.0 % - 8.2%
1.4 Miles 7.4 % - 9.6%

I probably won't attempt it unless I'm there to ride High Bridge which is not an all day ride.
I've done some walks in Rockerfeller State Park that had an average grade of 6% which I don't think I would enjoy riding even if it was allowable.
BTW: www.alltrails.com does seem to be a great resource for trail curiosity and for getting riding or walking ideas.

Thanks Again
Larry
Old 08-27-20, 07:19 PM
arbee

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
In addition to hills, indeed, because of the hills, you'll find old-growth forest in Inwood Hill Park.

But.

Bicycle riding isn't allowed on most of Inwood Hill Park's paths. One exception: on the west side of the Henry Hudson Parkway, between the parkway and the river, the path that leads to the Henry Hudson Bridge is one on which bicycle riding is permitted. For what good it'll do you. The Henry Hudson Bridge pedpath (west side / lower level) is randomly closed because of construction. Another exception that's not officially legit but unless folks riding bikes behave really badly, Parks Dept personnel turn a blind eye: because of the sketchy availability of the pedpath on the Henry Hudson Bridge, the path in Inwood Hill Park that leads under the bridge's south anchorage and gets you out of the park on the park's east side / northeast corner dumps you onto the East Coast Greenway (!) and connects to the 225th St Bridge.

If you know where to look, you'll find Shorakkopoch Rock which isn't NYC's newest hottest garage band. The rock *may* have been the site of the Hugest Real Estate Deal In The Universe. Any commemorative bronze plaque that begins with "According to legend ..." should be regarded with skepticism, but ... according to legend, this is where Manhattan was bought. Or sold. Depending on one's point of view.
Old 08-28-20, 06:31 AM
LarryS

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks dendawg and arbee you provided a lot of useful information, albeit not what I was hoping for. I have a lot of good opportunities where I live when I'm in a masochistic mood.
I'll probably stick to the OCA and an occasional hour or so drive to Ulster County for the Wallkill and the O & W trails when I need something more rustic.

Speaking of legends I remember hearing a long time ago that the Native Americans who "sold" the land did not necessarily own it. Personally, I own both the Brooklyn Bridge and the Bear Mountain bridges.

Thanks Again
Larry
Old 08-30-20, 03:49 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
Right next door is Highbridge Park. There’s an official mt. bike trail located in this park.

https://www.nycgovparks.org/pagefile...-trail-map.pdf
Old 08-30-20, 06:05 PM
LarryS

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Right next door is Highbridge Park. There’s an official mt. bike trail located in this park.

https://www.nycgovparks.org/pagefile...-trail-map.pdf
I've been in Highbridge Park twice primarily because of my interest in the Old Croton Aqueduct Trail, which includes the Highbridge bridge. The second time I went over the bridge, but instead of checking out the park I decided to go to Yankee Stadium.

The first time I went, I rode the northern part of the East Side Greenway. When I got to the Polo Grounds Houses I asked a cop how to get to the bridge, when he said go to 15x Street and walk up 5 flights of stairs, I said next time. I went back and entered the park from 10th ave. and was treated to a series of up and down hills. When a saw a staircase "just" in time I aborted that attempt.

Thanks for the map reference.
If I make it back the "less difficult" and "more difficult" trails seem like they might be doable with a gravel bike.
Old 09-02-20, 08:27 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
I usually take Edgecomb Avenue up from 155th St, and when you see a playground, you enter the park there and there is a trail directly to the bridge, no stairs involved. Edgecomb is the opposite side from the Polo Grounds houses. I will then weave my way up to University Ave in The Bronx, which parallels the aqueduct and then go by Lehman College and the reservoir. Then I enter VC Park, and usually come out by Broadway/242nd St as I can never find my way along the aqueduct, but that's OK because that is already 25 miles for me and I need to get home too.

RideWithGPS Route Here
From approximately 125th and the W. Side Greenway. On the route, the turn south along University will take you past The Joker's staircase from the movie on Shakespeare Ave right after you turn off Jerome at the very bottom of that jog.The Joker and The Joker

Last edited by zacster; 09-02-20 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09-05-20, 05:39 AM
LarryS

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
RideWithGPS Route Here
From approximately 125th and the W. Side Greenway. On the route, the turn south along University will take you past The Joker's staircase from the movie on Shakespeare Ave right after you turn off Jerome at the very bottom of that jog.The Joker and The Joker
Thanks for the GPX file!
When I go back I will most likely be coming from Tibbets Park or the Marble Hill train station. The last time I went, I took Broadway to W187th street and meandered to the park. On that trip I don't remember any stairs or at least any stairs that "sneaked" up on me. After going to Yankee Stadium I took Jerome to the Mosholu path.
Looking at your route, University looks like a good choice either for one or both ways. It looks pretty flat with the possible exception where you did the south and then north loop. It sounds and looks like that loop was necessary to avoid the staircase.
Thanks Again!
Old 09-05-20, 03:35 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
Originally Posted by LarryS
Thanks for the GPX file!
When I go back I will most likely be coming from Tibbets Park or the Marble Hill train station. The last time I went, I took Broadway to W187th street and meandered to the park. On that trip I don't remember any stairs or at least any stairs that "sneaked" up on me. After going to Yankee Stadium I took Jerome to the Mosholu path.
Looking at your route, University looks like a good choice either for one or both ways. It looks pretty flat with the possible exception where you did the south and then north loop. It sounds and looks like that loop was necessary to avoid the staircase.
Thanks Again!
No, the staircase is just from the movie. You don't need to use the staircase for anything. I only included it as a point of interest. You can go straight north from the bridge on University. It is a little up and down but nothing major. Jerome has to be the last street I would ride on since it is under the el. I usually take University that parallels it or Grand Concourse with the bike lane. No matter what street I'm on I'm usually the only one. The Bronx isn't big into cycling, which is a shame as it has some good routes.
Old 09-05-20, 05:13 PM
LarryS

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
No, the staircase is just from the movie. You don't need to use the staircase for anything. I only included it as a point of interest. You can go straight north from the bridge on University. It is a little up and down but nothing major. Jerome has to be the last street I would ride on since it is under the el. I usually take University that parallels it or Grand Concourse with the bike lane. No matter what street I'm on I'm usually the only one. The Bronx isn't big into cycling, which is a shame as it has some good routes.
When I first responded I was wondering if the loop was a personal preference or a "traffic pattern" situation, but I changed that to what I posted. After posting I looked at the route again using a satellite view, which showed there was no staircase and that crossing the street was not a problem.
I agree that Jerome was a questionable choice but I gave it a try since I was already at Yankee Stadium. I was prepared to bail if it was a problem. It was a hot day, so the El probably made it cooler, plus it seemed pretty flat.
I usually get lost in the Bronx but it is an interesting place to explore. Other than Yankee Stadium or being on the Major Deegan, I don't think I was ever in the Bronx until they closed up the last "MAJOR" detour on the SCT which made VCP and the Bronx much more accessible and got me interested in the Bronx Greenway.