Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which 2021 Endurance Road Bike? Trek, Cannondale, Giant

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Which 2021 Endurance Road Bike? Trek, Cannondale, Giant

Old 09-09-20, 11:12 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 69 Posts
Get whichever bike you like the most. You won't notice any differences in the bikes once you own one because you won't be riding the others. The bike you buy will work fine.
Likes For jackb:
Old 09-09-20, 11:52 AM
SeattleRider57

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Hello fellow mid-40's rider! I have a 2019 Domane SL5 and even though it is a nice bike by all accounts, I felt it was a bit 'slow' feeling. The reality is, the stock wheels and tires aren't the best, so i recently upgraded those and now feel like I'm pretty happy with the bike. I'm not racing either, but I also have a 2005 Allez Elite with lots of new parts, and it's about 2lbs lighter, and you could REALLY tell the difference before the wheel/tire swap.Back in 2019, I looked at all those bikes too, and narrowed it down to Canyon, Trek, and Giant. I've heard of quality control issues with Canyon that scared me off at the time, and settled on the IsoSpeed feature on the Trek. It's a very comfy ride, even with the 25" tires I'm running now(instead of stock 32s). Good luck!
Likes For SeattleRider57:
Old 09-09-20, 12:23 PM
mattscq

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by vascof1
Thank you BlackCloud. Appreciate your thoughts. Especially on the hydro disc brakes.
I will also add that unless you already have a bunch of rim brake wheels and are already well invested in rim world, I would go with discs. If you end up upgrading parts etc. over time, you'll probably not want to be locked into something you don't want to be locked into. I think pros for rim brakes are less expensive, easier maintenance, slightly easier wheel changes, are slightly lighter and more aerodynamic, but you lose out on better braking performance, less wear on the rim (replacing a rotor costs way less than replacing a rim), better modulation and so forth.

It's a shame Canyon isn't in Canada yet but glad to hear they are getting there (another pro for me to move back to Canada). Their selection in the US tends to be rather limited compared to their European offerings and the inventory is always very spotty. That said, I love my Canyon Ultimate and it is, spec-for-spec, a great deal, even if the wait was excruciating (it was a few weeks of just refreshing for my size frame to show up).
Likes For mattscq:
Old 09-09-20, 03:25 PM
Rubyd

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Why not considering Roubaix? Just curious.
Likes For Rubyd:
Old 09-09-20, 07:43 PM
travelerman

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
Pinarello Prince.
Likes For travelerman:
Old 09-10-20, 04:59 PM
vascof1

Bikes: Canyon Endurace AL 7

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by travelerman
Pinarello Prince.

both the Prince and Roubaix (to a lesser extent) is out of my price range. I think I can get more value out of a Giant or Canyon.
Old 09-10-20, 06:24 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
I recently ordered the Domane and unfortunately, wont be in until late Dec, early Jan, but I really liked the feel of it. One of the staff had the same bike and size, so I was lucky being able to test ride it for about 20 mins. I had a Synapse in 2013 and I hated that bike with a passion and luckily, I was able to unload it pretty quickly. I liked the Giant, but the Trek fit me much better. So you really need to find the bike that fits you that you will enjoy.

Brian

Old 09-13-20, 05:22 PM
jlmg

Bikes: Giant Contend AR1, Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thanks. How are the tires and wheel combo? I hear they’re a tad heavy but not sure if that’s just those being picky about them
The only thing I can compare them to is the wheels and tires from my Specialized Sirrus. They are 28 vs 32 for the Giant. The Giant's feel a lot more confortable and being tubeless they require less air pressure. If they are heavy or not? well I think I am not at the level of really tell the difference. What I can tell you is they are confortable and they make the bike go fast.
Old 10-29-20, 12:36 PM
dhender02

Bikes: Felt Z85 & Trek 7.3FX

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I'm in the market for n+1 too. Looking to upgrade from my Felt Z85, which I absolutely luv, but I want full carbon, disc brakes, and something a little snazzy. I've narrowed my search down to the Canyon Endurace, Cervelo Caledonia 5, and Bianchi Infinito. Actually, I rode the Bianchi about two years ago and decided that was the one. Fast forward two years, now that I'm ready to pull the trigger I'm actually leaning away from the Bianchi. The issue is I haven't rode the Cervelo, because LBS has pre-sold the next couple of shipments of Cervelo's basically so it may be a looong time before I can unless I get in the "pre-sold" line, and of course, I can't ride the Canyon.

In any case, perhaps I can both benefit from the feedback you're getting too.
Old 10-29-20, 09:04 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
supply chain is really screwed up this year. I ended up going with a project 1 Domane and picked it up about 10 days later. They pushed the original order for the SL7 back to April due to a shortage in tires. For my P1 order, I went with some 35 tires they had in Stock and got some different 32s online and just gave them to the shop to put on when the bike came in so not to delay the shipment.

Old 10-29-20, 10:29 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
great choices

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. You might consider the Specialized Roubaix as it is considered the bike that started the "endurance" category - its what I ride and love it.

Regarding carbon vs aluminum I'll just point out a few things. I happen to think bike fit and geometry matter more than the material used in the frame. Having said that, I do ride a carbon frame and think it does have a few advantages: 1) the designer can "tune" the ride characteristics with carbon as its stiffness and compliance can be tweaked based on how it is assembled and the types of weaves that are used 2) carbon is more expensive as it is essentially hand made. this is an advantage as since the price is higher the components usually are of higher quality to justify the price 3) carbon tends to be very light and strong

For the same price, you will generally get better components with aluminum though.
All the brands you listed are reputable so this shouldn't be an issue, but one can certainly find poorly made carbon frames. Just like most things in life, the design matters just as much if not more than the materials.

unless you want a warranty and great LBS service you might consider buying used though. You will get more for your money and likely be able to try before you buy unlike today's COVID environment with your LBS.

Last edited by Symox; 10-29-20 at 10:37 PM.
Likes For Symox:
Old 11-01-20, 10:28 AM
vascof1

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thank you for all of the comments and guidance.

An update from me. I’m ready to pull the trigger on a new bike but holding on for Canyon’s announcement up in Canada. It wouldn’t be fun to buy the bike only to have them announce a few weeks later.
Old 11-03-20, 09:55 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts

An update from me. I’m ready to pull the trigger on a new bike but holding on for Canyon’s announcement up in Canada. It wouldn’t be fun to buy the bike only to have them announce a few weeks later.
Whats stopping you from getting a bike from the US? Do you think they will be cheaper once announced here? Its still a mail in bike.
If you like something now, buy it, and use mail forward service to get it here.
Old 11-03-20, 10:41 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
Perhaps look at a bike approx $150 under your budget and get a proper independent bike fit, ideally before you acquire your new bike so you can purchase something close to your position and riding style.
Old 07-28-21, 06:54 AM
d2theyip

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Sorry for bumping old thread, which bike did you end up getting?
Old 07-29-21, 08:15 AM
vascof1

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Would you believe I've been making do with an old steel bike for now but am anxiously awaiting the availability of the Canyon Ultimate or Endurace CF 8. Both are currently out of stock until the Fall.
Likes For vascof1:
Old 07-29-21, 08:24 AM
d2theyip

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Would you believe I've been making do with an old steel bike for now but am anxiously awaiting the availability of the Canyon Ultimate or Endurace CF 8. Both are currently out of stock until the Fall.
Got it. I thought I would never get a reply from you, and I even searched for you on instagram, haha. Good luck on your search.
Likes For d2theyip:
Old 07-29-21, 09:10 AM
saddlesniffer

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
I just bought a 2021 Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0 last month. All I can say is that it rides like a Cadillac. Excellent ride once I dialed it in to fit me.
Likes For saddlesniffer:
Old 07-29-21, 01:37 PM
vascof1

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesniffer
I just bought a 2021 Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0 last month. All I can say is that it rides like a Cadillac. Excellent ride once I dialed it in to fit me.
Congrats that’s great to know.

Did you consider the Ultimate as well? The reason I ask is I’m really quite split amongst the two. I’ll probably get what comes in stock first.
Old 07-29-21, 02:03 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Think twice about ordering a Canyon. The 13% import duty for one. No mention if there will be brokerage charges since it is a courier company.

https://www.canyon.com/en-ca/customer-service/faq/
  • Are there additional costs after ordering?

• All prices on our website are net prices. The following additional charges apply: CAD 99 shipping for bikes, CAD 49 for accessories, CAD 29 for the Bike Guard – our custom reusable transport box – as well as an optional CAD 130 fee for delivery and assembly by Velofix. UPS will charge an additional 13% import duty for bikes and between 0 and 18% for other gear. In addition, UPS will charge sales tax depending on your location (GST/PST or HST).
The Ultimate which is $3249 Cdn ends up being almost $4200 with taxes, import duties and delivery. Plus you have to build it your self (not difficult). If you purchased a bike from a brick and mortar shop they would build it and service it for at least the first year. Maybe it would be still worth it to you but I don't see the value in this. For Canadians Canyons are not a great deal. There is a reason you don't see many Canyons in Canada.
Old 07-30-21, 07:10 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 117 Posts
I'm in the market soon. The Synapse looks interesting for sure and often pops on top of the list. The Domane is probably a bit heavy and a bit mushy for my tastes but the Roubaix, Scott, and Canyon are interesting as well. I was not considering the Canyon but will look at them now. The main issue is the inability to test one but I'll read as many reviews as I can find.
Old 07-30-21, 09:42 AM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,713 Times in 2,911 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne
I'm in the market soon. The Synapse looks interesting for sure and often pops on top of the list. The Domane is probably a bit heavy and a bit mushy for my tastes but the Roubaix, Scott, and Canyon are interesting as well. I was not considering the Canyon but will look at them now. The main issue is the inability to test one but I'll read as many reviews as I can find.
My main riding buddy has a current Synapse he uses for century rides and daily training. He says it’s a lot more comfortable than his Cervelo race bike, which now resides on his turbo trainer! It’s a nice classic looking frame for those who have an aesthetic dislike of dropped seat stays.
Old 07-30-21, 12:21 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 117 Posts
Yes, I have heard really good things about it. It is definitely on top of the list right now. At that EVO Hi-Mod level though, it may have a proprietary stem. Lots to research.
Old 07-30-21, 01:54 PM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,713 Times in 2,911 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne
Yes, I have heard really good things about it. It is definitely on top of the list right now. At that EVO Hi-Mod level though, it may have a proprietary stem. Lots to research.
My friend has the Ultegra mechanical build, so standard frame. I doubt the Hi-Mod is really worth the extra cost unless cost is irrelevant.
Old 07-30-21, 05:44 PM
mizer2167

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a chance to try the Trek Domane and Specialized Roubaix recently. Initial impressions of the Roubaix Sport left me feeling the flex in front end would take getting used to. The shop said there were medium springs in the front end and I think they might've been too light for my weight (107kg) though.

The Domane was very stable; I didn't notice the Isoflex at all, it flex more isolated from the road but more smooth, albeit a bit numb. My impression was it was a heavy bike though. Unfortunately, the earliest I could get my hands on one in my size is summer next year.

I tried a Tarmac as well and was much more pleased with how it felt, but of the three the geometry on the Domane was the most livable.

I'm considering a Canyon Endurace, since I can get a 105 group for about the same price as Tiagra in the others and it might be a better idea than upgrading my old bike, plus it's available a few weeks from now. I'm hoping it might be a blend of the Domane's geometry with the liveliness of the Tarmac.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.