Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

I think I have pulled a Benotto 5000 out of the skip!

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

I think I have pulled a Benotto 5000 out of the skip!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-20, 07:07 PM
uncleivan 

Bikes: '92 MX Leader, 84 Colnago Mexico, 85 Recherche, 86 Panasonic ATB Pro, 88 Roberts, 80 moser... ect

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 67 Posts
Great pictures!
Old 10-10-20, 02:01 PM
Nunofiets

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That's a very cool bike man. Congrats
Old 10-28-20, 11:09 PM
DString
Lucky Newbie

Bikes: Benotto

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
So, I have listed on international eBay as recommended by some. But I have listed it all together (as not recommended - but didn't want to see it split up myself). Someone will get a really nice and almost complete Bike to restore - or all the Campy sets they need and still have a great frame to flip.
Thanks for all the advice and comments.
Old 10-29-20, 09:29 AM
nesteel 

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 114 Posts
Nice find, but it's going to be a tough sell. $2100 U.S. buys ALOT of bike here in the states, ready to ride and needing nothing.
Sadly, I believe you've been the victim of over valuing.
Old 10-29-20, 03:21 PM
DString
Lucky Newbie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks nesteel. I agree that $2100 would certainly buy a lot of bike but the starting bid is at under $1250 USD, which I think (based on some European advice and comparisons) would see it as a very good value personal ride or potentially profitable and rewarding project to complete and sell on.

If the price were to be bid up to the $2100 (which is the 'Just gotta have it - Buy it Now' price then that would mean at least 2 people were keen and thus it will find a market value - and if not then that's ok - it looks cool leaning against my living room wall for the time being.

​​​​​​
Old 10-29-20, 10:23 PM
MarkinOz

Bikes: Wilier Cento10Ndr, Giant Anthem 2, 1985 Gefsco, 1979 Gios Torino Super Record, 1983 Peugeot PFN10, Terry Dolan built Reynolds 753 Cougar for Malcolm Elliott

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by DString
Thanks nesteel. I agree that $2100 would certainly buy a lot of bike but the starting bid is at under $1250 USD, which I think (based on some European advice and comparisons) would see it as a very good value personal ride or potentially profitable and rewarding project to complete and sell on.

If the price were to be bid up to the $2100 (which is the 'Just gotta have it - Buy it Now' price then that would mean at least 2 people were keen and thus it will find a market value - and if not then that's ok - it looks cool leaning against my living room wall for the time being.

​​​​​​
Whoa, stunning skip find!! Just had a look on Ebay. It seems Australia is the dumping ground of some pretty cool vintage steel and components. I just saved a Campagnolo 50th Anniversary Groupset from heading to a tip in Sydney a couple of weeks ago. All the groupset is there apart from the brake lever hoods. Unfortunately no blue presentation box but I'm intending to use this groupset as once intended. Need to get on and log a few more posts so i can upload some pictures of the frame as i'm at a loss as to who the builder is. Definitely one for the Frame builder's brains trust!
Old 10-29-20, 10:48 PM
DString
Lucky Newbie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well done MarkinOz

I'm not a mad keen road bike enthusiast but I do collect, restore and repurpose historic things (I live in a Heritage listed Church so I always have a project or ten on the go) and seeing items that are obviously good quality or well designed or weren't made to be disposable go to the tip is plain sad. I also try to keep as much of the history of the items in tact - however if it can be repurposed for a new use and live on in another way then that is only a good thing in my book.

Incredible find - 50th anniversary set - really, wow. I guess you have seen the NOS set on eBay for almost $10,000AUD - and some people think my little find is too expensive 🤪. Great if you want to restore and great if you want to sell - check mainland European prices - they seem to be where the big demand is from what I have been told (Germany in particular).

Hopefully next time I go skip diving I will find something big enough for me to use - then I can restore it for me and not care about the value.
Old 10-29-20, 11:37 PM
DString
Lucky Newbie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hey MarkinOz - you will like this read - https://www.redvelo.co.uk/cycling/ca...sary-groupset/

Enjoy.
David
Old 10-30-20, 12:04 AM
MarkinOz

Bikes: Wilier Cento10Ndr, Giant Anthem 2, 1985 Gefsco, 1979 Gios Torino Super Record, 1983 Peugeot PFN10, Terry Dolan built Reynolds 753 Cougar for Malcolm Elliott

Its great isn't it! That was one of the first articles i read when researching the 50th Anniversary.

Love to hear that you restore and repurpose, there is way too much wastage. That said, many items (including modern-day bikes) are not but to last and restoration has no meaning to them. This is my first restoration project and i cannot wait to see what awaits when finished.
Old 10-30-20, 12:31 AM
MarkinOz

I'm almost at the required 10 posts so i'll drop some photo's soon....