Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Cannondale Killer V rebuild

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-20, 08:01 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts

Hey mountain bikers- I used to rid3 nothing but dirt for years, but fell victim to road riding. I have a few mountain bikes that I still ride (a Trek and a Cannindale) but I also have an old Killer V that I think would be fun to strip and build into a new monster.

i could remove the old HeadShok and press in cups/bearings and add an appropriate fork, and convert to a disc brake, or, there are other options besides the headset cups, right?

Rear end, I’m confined to V-brakes (or similar) as there’s no disc boss or appropriate frame strengthening for a disc brake mount. No big deal- I brake from the front mostly, anyway.

Drivetrain- update to 1x11? I’m totally clueless and lost on whether or not it would work. New cranks, bb, etc.. are old shells too wide, too narrow, etc to go with a 1x? This was obviously a triple crank by the era from which it comes. I think it could be a fun project, especially on a modest budget, but I could use some specific component suggestions. I can do all of the wrenching, but I’m being lazy (smart?) and asking for direct info to avoid focusing on bad ideas that I come up with in ignorance.

If it works out, I’ll submit pics during the process. Thanks for saving me from myself, and probably saving a killer ride from collecting dust in the garage rafters for all of eternity.
Old 10-17-20, 08:34 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Skinny 26" tires and limited travel?
Old 10-17-20, 09:00 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I remember solutions existed for the headset, but you'll have to find out if any of them are still available.
https://www.cannondaleanswers.com/de...ountain-bikes/

You will probably need to find a used fork if you want to stick with your front wheel, because new 26" rim brake forks are pretty much gone.

The likely sticking point at the rear is the freehub, if it's a 7 speed, which is not as wide and can't take 11 tooth top cogs.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 10-17-20 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-18-20, 04:24 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

I’d be all for changing out the front wheel to go with disc brakes, and better travel.

Yes, skinny 26” wheels. Worked well for many years, til trends changed preferences, and people got faster on descents. Fatter, taller wheels work great, but this will be a 26” wheeled bike.
Old 10-18-20, 04:31 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Originally Posted by Leebo
Skinny 26" tires and limited travel?

Are there any that have unlimited travel? Infinite travel seems like it would make one ride last forever. Cool.
Old 10-19-20, 10:41 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
Are there any that have unlimited travel? Infinite travel seems like it would make one ride last forever. Cool.
Not missing those 83 mm travel forks. Lol.
Likes For Leebo:
Old 10-19-20, 11:04 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Huge suspension travel isn’t always necessary, or even useful. (But it *is* cool and fun to ride!) A nimble climbing bike doesn’t need tons of sofa-like cushion to be fast and fun. Likewise, learning to pick a line can smooth out a chunky section of trail. Getting your butt off the saddle and floating through rocky sections is helpful, too. I guess there’s a niche for everyone, which is why electric motorcycles are gaining popularity. No one wants to earn their miles any more, maybe? Either way, I’m planning on building this old bike into a semi-retro new-tech fun machine.