Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Heavy Bikes are better !

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Heavy Bikes are better !

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-20, 11:42 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
The peer pressure to ride the same type of feather weight bike as the rest of the crowd is overwhelming. Even when training, where one should be devoting their hours to building up their muscles.

It's only a matter of time until some brave racer thinks outside the box, loads his/her bike down with weights for training, and then goes on to crush the competition at the races.

The following year the "monkey see, monkey do" mentality will spin the other way and everyone will be loading down their training bikes for that competitive edge. Noticing the trend, manufactures will quickly begin marketing specialized heavy "muscle building" training bikes. Bike Forums will have a sub forum devoted to 'em, where riders share their reverse weight weenie secrets and 100 kg will be the baseline for training bike bragging rights.
Haha! Yeah, I can't wait!
At the same time, I reckon they'd be riding singlespeed or fixies. It will be glorious. There will be people protesting lightweight bikes with banners saying "LEAD SHOTS IN ALL FRAMES!"
Old 10-29-20, 11:53 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
For those who are continuing to enjoy this "unique" perspective, Cube has some threads in the Road Racing section and is planning to compete very soon, I think.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 10-29-20, 12:09 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
I think we were talking about pros back there.

In pro training, bike handling skills is incredibly important and it's best if they train with the same lightweight bike they will use in races.

But for those where advanced bike handling skills is not critically important (simply training for strength, not for racing) and higher speeds would be unsafe, then a heavier bike would be better for training.

Sorry, but that's horse crap. I think it's a matter of preference based on one's riding habits, and neither is objectively better for training. Also, that "higher speeds would be unsafe" is one hell of a qualifier.

I've gotta say, if you're training solely for strength, there's a lot better ways to do that than cycling. I think you're making my point--there's so many "if you're doing this in a place like" components to your assertion that all you're really proving, if anything, is that heavier bikes are better for certain things for certain riders in certain places.

I don't think it's going to come as any shock to you that I would be perfectly miserable on your bike, it doesn't suit the way I like to ride in any way. And that's not a knock on your bike, it's just not for me. You'd probably hate riding my bikes. I'll bet we also wear different shoe sizes.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-29-20, 12:25 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

The peer pressure to ride the same type of feather weight bike as the rest of the crowd is overwhelming. Even when training, where one should be devoting their hours to building up their muscles.

It's only a matter of time until some brave racer thinks outside the box, loads his/her bike down with weights for training, and then goes on to crush the competition at the races.

The following year the "monkey see, monkey do" mentality will spin the other way and everyone will be loading down their training bikes for that competitive edge. Noticing the trend, manufactures will quickly begin marketing specialized heavy "muscle building" training bikes. Bike Forums will have a sub forum devoted to 'em, where riders share their reverse weight weenie secrets and 100 kg will be the baseline for training bike bragging rights.
Seriously, though, I think the reason this won't happen even if racers rediscover power is that the handling of a heavy bike is so different, especially on turns. I do expect that someone is going to rediscover the big gear at some point and we'll get the kind of this year it's this, next year it's that kind of flip-flopping.

I still stick to my theory that the shift from the big gearguy to the spinner had more to do with which PEDs were prevalent than any inherent superiority of either approach.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-29-20, 12:27 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by CargoDane
Haha! Yeah, I can't wait!
At the same time, I reckon they'd be riding singlespeed or fixies. It will be glorious. There will be people protesting lightweight bikes with banners saying "LEAD SHOTS IN ALL FRAMES!"

I just think they should have a UCI weight class system--a "heavyweight" division where the minimum bike weight is 60 pounds might be a lot of fun.
Old 10-29-20, 12:33 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I just think they should have a UCI weight class system--a "heavyweight" division where the minimum bike weight is 60 pounds might be a lot of fun.
Not so much fun to ride, though. I am almost serious, the lighter the bike, the faster you can go for longer. And I ride a cargo bike. I know, I know, I have mentioned that several times before, but if adding weights to the bike, I'd much sooner like to see cargo bike races (they're pretty good fun to see as they load and unload various stuff such as tyres, beer kegs etc., lifting their bike and cargo over various objects on the route and so on). And I don't even watch or follow cargobike races.
Old 10-29-20, 12:40 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
For those who are continuing to enjoy this "unique" perspective, Cube has some threads in the Road Racing section and is planning to compete very soon, I think.
Whoa. Support car is sweet. I had one when I raced for my shop
Old 10-29-20, 01:11 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Seriously, though, I think the reason this won't happen even if racers rediscover power is that the handling of a heavy bike is so different, especially on turns. I do expect that someone is going to rediscover the big gear at some point and we'll get the kind of this year it's this, next year it's that kind of flip-flopping.

I still stick to my theory that the shift from the big gearguy to the spinner had more to do with which PEDs were prevalent than any inherent superiority of either approach.
You underestimate the ability of the manufactures to engineer through these handling issues you speak of. Simply hanging weight on the bike will be so yesterday. “Smart Weight” (trademark) will be placed in areas that actually improve handling. New technology like “Enhanced Active Weighting” will actually move weight around as needed to help prepare and set up the bike for quicker maneuvering, aiding on road safety as one builds more muscle.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 10-29-20, 01:39 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

You underestimate the ability of the manufactures to engineer through these handling issues you speak of. Simply hanging weight on the bike will be so yesterday. “Smart Weight” (trademark) will be placed in areas that actually improve handling. New technology like “Enhanced Active Weighting” will actually move weight around as needed to help prepare and set up the bike for quicker maneuvering, aiding on road safety as one builds more muscle.
Which reminds me: "Unsprung weight" is a thing. And it's not a good thing. Not on cars or motorcycles, nor on bicycles. Unfortunately, it would be pretty damn uncomfortable either riding around on a full-sprung bike or carrying all your "stuff" in a backpack.
Yet another strike against "more weight = better" crowd.

I'm reminded about whenI first got my Bullitt. Downhill, it felt like a train. I have to say it is a nice bike, and I liked that feeling. My omnium feels more like a normal bike downhill, but uphill it is not a ship's anchor.

Last edited by CargoDane; 10-29-20 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-29-20, 01:51 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Which reminds me: "Unsprung weight" is a thing. And it's not a good thing. Not on cars or motorcycles, nor on bicycles. Unfortunately, it would be pretty damn uncomfortable either riding around on a full-sprung bike or carrying all your "stuff" in a backpack.
You're failing to look at the big picture... Comfort is a small price to pay when you're greatly increasing your strength and eliminating dangerous out of the saddle rear wheel bounce.
Old 10-29-20, 01:59 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

You're failing to look at the big picture... Comfort is a small price to pay when you're greatly increasing your strength and eliminating dangerous out of the saddle rear wheel bounce.
Haha! Sorry, I will amend my ways promptly. I'll get rid of the cargo platform, load up the frame with lead shot and instead carry all my stuff in a backpack. Oh, and remove the saddle or shove it as far down as possible - trials/bmx vert style so I can become really, really strong. I mean, what could be better than standing up in 60km/h headwinds? It really will get you to your destination quicker. Psht, stupid time trials setups. They don't know what they're doing.

Again, it reminds me of something, let's say you're pushing 20 km/h in a headwind, that means that in 60 km/h headwinds, it's like pushing your bike - in no wind - to 80 km/h. Standing up! Man, I wish more pros did that. It is aspirational like nothing else. I can't believe I've learned nothing riding a bike year round for decades. I feel so stupid.
Old 10-29-20, 02:29 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I think they should fill the frames with mercury, leaving enough room inside for the liquid to slosh around on the turns. Not sure what the effect would be, but I'll bet it makes you stronger!
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-29-20, 03:47 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11954 Post(s)
Liked 6,611 Times in 3,469 Posts
Are you kidding me? You’re going to invite people to follow somebody around to harass them?

I wouldn’t advise it folks, or you will hear from me.

CargoDane . . . don’t even think about it.
Old 10-29-20, 04:22 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
I think they should fill the frames with mercury, leaving enough room inside for the liquid to slosh around on the turns. Not sure what the effect would be, but I'll bet it makes you stronger!
Or dead.
Old 10-29-20, 04:29 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by BillyD
Are you kidding me? You’re going to invite people to follow somebody around to harass them?

I wasn't intending to, but thanks.
Old 10-29-20, 04:32 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by Wileyone
Or dead.
What doesn't kill you makes you str... Oh!
Old 10-29-20, 06:37 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Haha! Sorry, I will amend my ways promptly. I'll get rid of the cargo platform, load up the frame with lead shot and instead carry all my stuff in a backpack. Oh, and remove the saddle or shove it as far down as possible - trials/bmx vert style so I can become really, really strong. I mean, what could be better than standing up in 60km/h headwinds? It really will get you to your destination quicker. Psht, stupid time trials setups. They don't know what they're doing.

Again, it reminds me of something, let's say you're pushing 20 km/h in a headwind, that means that in 60 km/h headwinds, it's like pushing your bike - in no wind - to 80 km/h. Standing up! Man, I wish more pros did that. It is aspirational like nothing else.
Now you're beginning to understand the many advantages of true bicycle weight training.

I can't believe I've learned nothing riding a bike year round for decades. I feel so stupid.
Don't be so hard on yourself. You've recently made the wise decision to join BF and have been actively reading and posting. The "heavy bikes are better" experts here will quickly have you "up to speed".
Old 10-29-20, 06:44 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

He, he, perfect
Old 10-30-20, 05:09 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by BillyD

Is it ok to respond to this by saying cubewheels is one of my favorite bf members? Even when we disagree about something, he's completely civil, and he has a totally different approach to riding than I do that totally works for him. Polite discussion of those differences where we're not trying to "convert" the other guy are the kind of discussions I enjoy most on bf. I don't learn half as much just talking to people who agree with me.

I'm also extremely amused by people trying to convince him that he's "doing it wrong" like they know anything about the context of his choices. I find he has a lot of ingenious solutions to problems most of us bf members will never face.

TL/DR: There's really good reasons to "follow" cubewheels that have nothing to do with harassment.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-30-20, 05:13 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
What a stupid thread...
Likes For Wileyone:
Old 10-30-20, 06:09 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
TL/DR: There's really good reasons to "follow" cubewheels that have nothing to do with harassment.
I agree. He's always pleasant and I expect he's having a good bit of fun poking at BF with his "alternative ideas." It wouldn't surprise me to learn that in real life he's a Cat 1, lives in SoCal and rides a nice Cervelo or S works....
Old 10-30-20, 06:09 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by cubewheels
To push 20 kph in a 60 kph headwind, you'll be in smaller gear than actually pushing your bike at 80 kph with or without wind. The latter requires more power since the rider is pushing at bigger gears while trying to overcome 80 kph relative wind
LOL, the force acting against you is the same. Obviously, to roll at 80 kph would take a very tall gear, but you'd be fighting the same headwind (forces). It's physics.

Maybe also look up what gearing does. it might be helpful.

So nothing unusual there. I've come across commuters pushing 10 kph in a 60 kph headwind. It doesn't mean they can actually sprint at 70 kph.
Haha, sure, you have. And if they can push 10 kph into a 60 kph headwind, they could do 70 kph in no wind with a large enough chainring. Somehow that is very dubious.

Last edited by CargoDane; 10-30-20 at 06:29 AM.
Old 10-30-20, 06:35 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

I agree. He's always pleasant and I expect he's having a good bit of fun poking at BF with his "alternative ideas." It wouldn't surprise me to learn that in real life he's a Cat 1, lives in SoCal and rides a nice Cervelo or S works....
He's not, though. He has posted a video of himself, and it doesn't look like SoCal to me.
He truly believes what he says, despite it also being very entertaining.
Old 10-30-20, 06:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I don't agree with the "poking fun" part of that, I think he's utterly sincere, and while I'm not going to defend his wind physics, I also think a lot of the stuff he comes up with are ingenious ways of coping with the demands of riding in the Philippines, and with a very limited budget.
Old 10-30-20, 06:55 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

LOL, the force acting against you is the same. Obviously, to roll at 80 kph would take a very tall gear, but you'd be fighting the same headwind (forces). It's physics.

Maybe also look up what gearing does. it might be helpful.

Haha, sure, you have. And if they can push 10 kph into a 60 kph headwind, they could do 70 kph in no wind with a large enough chainring. Somehow that is very dubious.

I don't know if I've ever ridden into a headwind that strong, but my experience with headwinds generally is you push hard between the gusts and/or you adjust your direction so it's not fully in your face. There is a point where I find the strength of crosswinds make it impossible to safely operate the bike, but I don't know what that is in KPH.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.