Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Colnago C60 Disc trainer axle??

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-20, 02:20 PM
daschmitz0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a Colnago C60 Disc which uses a hexlock 12mm thru-axle. I been searching (unsuccessfully) for any information on an axle adaptor so I can put the bike on an indoor trainer.

Does any one know of a thru axle adapter for the C60 for use on an indoor trainer?

Thanks,

-Dave
Old 10-23-20, 09:42 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
https://robertaxleproject.com/axle-finder-2/

If they don't have your specific model listed in their finder, try the chat (or go through the measuring process outlined).
Old 10-23-20, 10:07 AM
daschmitz0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks,

Yeah. I've already been talking with them. They don't have one that will work.

The big issue is that this is a Hexlock axle, there are no threads. It's basically a 12mm road version of the 15mm Manitou mtn bike axle. It's great for for getting wheels on/off quickly but apparently not so great for putting on an indoor trainer which is very surprising.

Anyone else have a C60 disc out there that have run into this?
Old 10-23-20, 10:15 AM
WhyFi

Ah, it looks similar to the RAT axles that were on my Cervelo. I had to replace the captive bit on the ~dropouts with a threaded replacements, which Robert Axle provided. Looks like they'd have to so something similar, here (though there may not be enough of them out there for them to bother?).

Do you already have a trainer? If not, this would be a good excuse to get a direct drive instead of a wheel-on trainer.
Old 10-23-20, 10:25 AM
daschmitz0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks fro the replies, WhyFi.

I don't have the trainer yet but that is a great recommendation. I guess with the direct drive this issue goes away, right?

Any recommendations for a direct drive?

My goal was to get an 'inexpensive' smart trainer setup going. I was considering the Saris M2 or the Wahoo Kickr Snap because they both can supposedly simulate 12%+ grades. I typically join the gym for the winter but needless to say, this year, is a little problematic with pesky viruses floating around, mask requirements and limited occupancy requirements.

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply.
Old 10-23-20, 11:34 AM
WhyFi

I've never owned a direct drive trainer, but yeah, they essentially replace the rear wheel, so I don't know why you wouldn't just use your existing TA.

I haven't shopped a trainer in earnest in several years, so I'm not aware of what the current market looks like. I do know that Kicker came out with a DD trainer a year or two ago that brought the entry level price of DD trainers down quite significantly; not sure how many other manufacturers have followed suit. Regardless, though, I'd probably check with DC Rainmaker - he's always updating trainer comparisons and reviews and should have some good info.
Old 10-23-20, 11:41 AM
daschmitz0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, yeah, DC Rainmaker is the best!! Have a good weekend.