Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shimano gear from China?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Shimano gear from China?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-20, 11:00 AM
Snowflake6
Sprockets away!

Bikes: 2021 Prior Prime 105 Disc, 2015 Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc, 1996 Brodie Quantum, 1984 Norco Monterey (SRAM automatix two-speed), 198x Cramerotti Campagnolo Chorus (restored)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Shimano gear from China?

Has anyone ordered any Shimano gear from China? I keep seeing groupsets, pedals (which I currently need), etc. on eBay at roughly half what they seem to be asking in North America (specifically, Canada). Just wondering if anyone has had any success buying from there before I pull the trigger on anything.
Old 10-25-20, 11:19 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
It's too bad the UK/EU companies can no longer ship Shimano products to Canada. We're getting hosed!
Likes For WorldIRC:
Old 10-25-20, 11:21 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by WorldIRC
It's too bad the UK/EU companies can no longer ship Shimano products to Canada. We're getting hosed!
have you checked Merlin? they still ship to the US, so it's worth a try.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 10-25-20, 11:28 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
have you checked Merlin? they still ship to the US, so it's worth a try.
Yep. I tried ordering a cassette and got the not shipping to Canada error. Not happening on all Shimano items, just some.
Likes For WorldIRC:
Old 10-25-20, 12:48 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
Merlin no longer have free shipping to US, the golden age was 2014-2016 when the exchange rate was so good, you could gotten a full R8000 groupset for less than $600

Last edited by Chi_Z; 10-25-20 at 12:51 PM.
Likes For Chi_Z:
Old 10-25-20, 01:10 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Chi_Z
Merlin no longer have free shipping to US, the golden age was 2014-2016 when the exchange rate was so good, you could gotten a full R8000 groupset for less than $600
shipping would still be free on an Ultegra groupset.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 10-25-20, 08:39 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
United States:Free shipping is available depending on goods ordered and order value. Shipping costs will be advised at the basket/checkout.

Shipping on wheels and bikes varies depending on value.

Currency: Select US Dollars ($) to be charged in US Dollars – Prices are VAT free to United States.

My last order from Merlin in July had shipping included. 105 hydraulic STI and brakes.
Old 10-25-20, 08:45 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
United States:Free shipping is available depending on goods ordered and order value. Shipping costs will be advised at the basket/checkout.

Shipping on wheels and bikes varies depending on value.

Currency: Select US Dollars ($) to be charged in US Dollars – Prices are VAT free to United States.

My last order from Merlin in July had shipping included. 105 hydraulic STI and brakes.
I think there's a $300 minimum for free shipping.

BTW, they no longer ship Sidi to the US.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 10-25-20, 08:45 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowflake6
Has anyone ordered any Shimano gear from China? I keep seeing groupsets, pedals (which I currently need), etc. on eBay at roughly half what they seem to be asking in North America (specifically, Canada). Just wondering if anyone has had any success buying from there before I pull the trigger on anything.
I've bought Shimano drivetrain components shipped from China.
Everything has worked as expected.
mtb shifters, mtb disc calipers, chains, and cassettes.

What i bought may be wildly different from what you want, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy from a large volume ebay seller. Use PayPal and if its fake, dispute the charge once delivered.
Making a fake STI isn't exactly simple- so many small components.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-25-20, 11:31 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
on aliexpress i have seen reviews on those $70 XT 8100 pedals as fake saying the pedal wears out super fast, but they look so real with actual retail box
Old 10-26-20, 01:44 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowflake6
I'm in Europe, but I have bought Shimano gear from china without issues. Everything has been ok so far.

I suppose if something is wrong then warranties may be a problem. It's up to you to decide if it's worth the risk.
Old 10-26-20, 07:38 AM
mattscq

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
I've bought cleats from eBay shippers from China. They're like $9 a set vs. $30 and they take forever to get here but they look legit and are more durable than the off brand generics anyway. I'm not sure if they're counterfeit but I figured that cleats aren't quite as much of a concern. I'd be much more worried about pretty much any other component failing during a ride.

I am curious how they get the prices so low though (if it's all above board).
Old 10-26-20, 08:12 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I wouldn't hesitate to buy from a large volume ebay seller. Use PayPal and if its fake, dispute the charge once delivered.
I've purchased some Shimano SM-RT81 rotors from China, because they were out of stock at every US retailer I could find. Shipping was extremely slow, but they got here in perfect condition.
Old 10-26-20, 01:18 PM
Snowflake6
Sprockets away!

Bikes: 2021 Prior Prime 105 Disc, 2015 Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc, 1996 Brodie Quantum, 1984 Norco Monterey (SRAM automatix two-speed), 198x Cramerotti Campagnolo Chorus (restored)

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
on aliexpress i have seen reviews on those $70 XT 8100 pedals as fake saying the pedal wears out super fast, but they look so real with actual retail box
This is what I'm worried about. I want a set of SPD-SL's, 105 level will be fine for me. PD-5800 or PD-7000's for half price is attractive. I was concerned whether people are finding that these are all cheap knock-offs or something. Seems like a lot of effort to go to just to sell a set of pedals for $70. Are they really that cheap to make? Is Shimano just raping us at the cash register? Wait, don't bother answering that last question, we already know the answer...
Likes For Snowflake6:
Old 10-26-20, 01:39 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I'm always skeptical of surprisingly low price items from China. Yes, there are plenty of good, generic options, but there are also plenty of knock-offs of unknown quality that I am not willing to take a risk on.
Old 10-26-20, 02:19 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by mattscq
I've bought cleats from eBay shippers from China. They're like $9 a set vs. $30 and they take forever to get here but they look legit and are more durable than the off brand generics anyway. I'm not sure if they're counterfeit but I figured that cleats aren't quite as much of a concern. I'd be much more worried about pretty much any other component failing during a ride.

I am curious how they get the prices so low though (if it's all above board).
I bought those cheap cleats advertised as X compat and they broke the bodies on
a pair of X1's. That ended up an expensive mistake.
Old 10-26-20, 03:38 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by mattscq
I bought some that were definitely counterfeit, as they were yellow but had zero degrees of float. Pretty crappy and completely useless for me.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 10-26-20, 04:34 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I bought some that were definitely counterfeit, as they were yellow but had zero degrees of float. Pretty crappy and completely useless for me.
I’ve purchased many sets of SPD-SL cleats that were perfect, off of AliExpress.