Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What would you replace on my bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What would you replace on my bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-13, 06:57 PM
jkuper

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
that's a really high stem aka really small frame
I went to the max allowed 40mm spacers to try and get it closer to her hybrid. I can always cut the fork later.
Old 05-28-13, 07:16 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I meant to say the frame size is small if you're having to use that many spacers.
Old 05-28-13, 07:25 PM
starjag

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ILZA
Not much reply in hot r not thread... So I post it here...
Wat should I change on my bike??

One size bigger bike?
Old 05-28-13, 08:42 PM
ILZA

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by starjag
One size bigger bike?
Thanks for your comments....I chose one size smaller coz I am not flexible at all
Old 05-28-13, 08:44 PM
ILZA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bianchi10
sending you Private message with pictures

Thanks again bianchi! I have bought a 100mm stem and changed it out for beta reach. Now waiting for the black saddle to arrive.
Will TRY (never good with my hands) to make adjustments to the bars and shifters. Once done up, will post a pic
Old 05-28-13, 08:46 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I prefer a smaller frame. I feel I have better control. I'll post a picture on how to help make sure your shifters are both equal
Old 05-28-13, 08:50 PM
ILZA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I prefer a smaller frame. I feel I have better control. I'll post a picture on how to help make sure your shifters are both equal

Saw ur bike...its a beauty...wats the size? how tall r u?
Old 05-28-13, 09:01 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thank you! Its a 54. I'm 5'9.5"

Here is a what I saw my bike shop do in order to make sure both of my levers were of equal height. Take a straight edge like a ruler and hold it flat along the bottom of your bar end. then measure the distance between the flat edge and the bottom of the lever. Repeat to other side.

Old 05-28-13, 09:04 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
nice rims
Old 05-28-13, 09:06 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you sir! I love them! Worth every penny! NEVER Ever....EVAR thought I would spend that much on wheels, but I got sucked into it. By far the best purchase I have ever made for my bike.
Old 05-28-13, 09:46 PM
ILZA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here is a what I saw my bike shop do in order to make sure both of my levers were of equal height. Take a straight edge like a ruler and hold it flat along the bottom of your bar end. then measure the distance between the flat edge and the bottom of the lever. Repeat to other side.

Thank you...you the man!
Old 05-29-13, 08:15 AM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
What bartape?

I don't think I'll go back to lizard skin tape anymore, it keeps getting pushed and separated so I have to undo it and rewrap it. Think next time I do the bars, I'm going to cover them in rubber cement first, heard that makes things more grippy and should be fairly easy to remove.

Old 05-29-13, 09:29 AM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fixing microtex glossy black. I love the feel. Feels grippy. Its fairly thin though so if you are someone that likes thick spongy tape, this will take some time to get used to it. But it doesn't move at all like you are experiencing. Super easy to unwrap and rewrap if you need to make adjustments.
Old 05-29-13, 09:47 AM
pcb09

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here goes...first time posting a pic of my bike online. bring on the criticism...

2012 Madone 5.2

I know the cables on the front end need to be shortened up, but havent gotten around to it yet. Also the steerer tube will probably never be cut because it hurts resale value. Bike fits pretty well as is, have over 5500 miles on it in the last 12 months, so pretty happy with it. What do you all think?
Old 05-29-13, 10:09 AM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would change the saddle angle to level and cut the steerer tube.
Old 05-29-13, 10:27 AM
jkuper

Bikes: Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tried it on the Scattante - doesn't work. The bars dont have a flat area long enough to keep the flat edge stable.
Old 05-29-13, 11:42 AM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Fixing microtex glossy black. I love the feel. Feels grippy. Its fairly thin though so if you are someone that likes thick spongy tape, this will take some time to get used to it. But it doesn't move at all like you are experiencing. Super easy to unwrap and rewrap if you need to make adjustments.
Nice, might try that out next.

The lizard skins don't play well with wet hands, I started wearing gloves because my hands slid all over it. The gloves are super grippy on it though, which is why it keeps getting pushed and separated.

Old 05-29-13, 12:59 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thank you sir! I love them! Worth every penny! NEVER Ever....EVAR thought I would spend that much on wheels, but I got sucked into it. By far the best purchase I have ever made for my bike.
words of a true roadie sith. the force is strong with this one
Old 05-29-13, 01:05 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
What bartape?

I don't think I'll go back to lizard skin tape anymore, it keeps getting pushed and separated so I have to undo it and rewrap it. Think next time I do the bars, I'm going to cover them in rubber cement first, heard that makes things more grippy and should be fairly easy to remove.
Rubber cement? I've been wrapping my bars for 40 years most of those bar tapes came without any sticky stuff on the tape, and I've never had to put rubber cement...nor heard of anyone ever having to that on a bar. If your tape is coming undone like that then you're putting the tape on wrong. And there are brands of tape on the market today that do have a sticky stuff on it to make it easier...mostly easier for those who either never done it before or rarely done it and had issues when they did tape it.

I'm not sure about this next comment, but if you have carbon bars maybe rubber cement could harm the CF over time? I do know this, you have to be careful of what chemicals you expose CF to or you could end up replacing a bar, I just don't know if rubber cement contains anything that can damage CF.
Old 05-29-13, 01:53 PM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I never thought about damaging the carbon fiber with the rubber cement. I don't care so much about my current bars but the next time I see the 3T Team Ergonovas on chainlove, they will be mine! The suggestion was to put the rubber cement on, let it dry, and then wrap the bars, giving the bars a bit more friction for the tape to hold onto.

My problem is on the top of the bars about one hand length before the hoods, right where the bar curves on the top. Sometimes I get lazy and put my hands there and usually put too much pressure on the front when doing so. The tape pushes forward and I end up with a gap, this is only the second time it's done it, first time was on the left, now it's on the right. It's not a big deal, takes a minute to fix, just frustrating as all hell.

Old 05-29-13, 02:21 PM
dobrado

Bikes: Trek 2.1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like this thread (and I have "the itch"):

Trek 2.1
-stock except for bar tape, saddle, and bottle cages

Old 05-29-13, 02:27 PM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by dobrado
I like this thread (and I have "the itch"):

Trek 2.1
-stock except for bar tape, saddle, and bottle cages

To make it hot it would first need to be staged correctly. Next, the triple would have to go followed by the red bar tape and the two different color bottle cages. Black cages would look best. The seat bag would have to go and the saddle would need to be level.
Old 05-29-13, 02:49 PM
dobrado

Bikes: Trek 2.1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LowCel
To make it hot it would first need to be staged correctly. Next, the triple would have to go followed by the red bar tape and the two different color bottle cages. Black cages would look best. The seat bag would have to go and the saddle would need to be level.
I'm working on getting a garage door, but I agree about the positioning of the crank arms. I get tired of stuffing spare tube + co2 cartridges + multitool in my jersey pockets for normal commuting / riding around, which explains the seat bag (though i'm looking into better options).

Waddya think about the wheels? I'm also of the opinion that I should just get a new bike...maybe a plastic one, and save this alu one for training.
Old 05-29-13, 02:52 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
I never thought about damaging the carbon fiber with the rubber cement. I don't care so much about my current bars but the next time I see the 3T Team Ergonovas on chainlove, they will be mine! The suggestion was to put the rubber cement on, let it dry, and then wrap the bars, giving the bars a bit more friction for the tape to hold onto.

My problem is on the top of the bars about one hand length before the hoods, right where the bar curves on the top. Sometimes I get lazy and put my hands there and usually put too much pressure on the front when doing so. The tape pushes forward and I end up with a gap, this is only the second time it's done it, first time was on the left, now it's on the right. It's not a big deal, takes a minute to fix, just frustrating as all hell.

Ok, look at some of these videos and see if by chance you're doing something wrong because it shouldn't come undone soon after doing it. https://www.youtube.com/results?searc...be.YzOu9HXVSxk

Like I said about the glue, I'm not sure if the glue will damage the CF or not, I don't know if someone here knows about this or not. Once you get a set of CF bars contact the manufacture about that. I do know the any cleaning products designed to take the clue off will damage CF.
Old 05-29-13, 05:27 PM
sosojeffcc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just picked this up not too long ago off CC for a bike while traveling for work. Selle italia slr and longer stem(to be slammed) to come. Sorry, being on the road means no garage door for pics, just a hotel room hah

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.