Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Where are you riding this weekend 06/29&30 ?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-13, 07:56 AM
Genaro

Bikes: Motobecane Immortal Force

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

I'm not sure yet. More than likely down to Mt. Baldy road and up to the village or bust very early on Saturday. May need to put my 12-30 casette on again!
Old 06-27-13, 08:19 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an IRC ride scheduled for Saturday - taking a group of beginner mountain bikers up Trabuco Creek to the bottom of the Holy Jim trailhead... suppose to be over 100 degrees! Thank goodness there is some shade cover but I don't like heat so going to be a miserable ride for me. Sunday if I ride, most likely will start early (6:30a) and head down to the beach... something easy. I would love to do the GMR ride but not if its going to be Africa hot!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 06-27-13, 09:06 AM
Lesper4

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale CAAD9 5, 1995 Cannondale CAD F300 hardtail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Going to hit up Lytle Creek Early Sunday. I have a baby shower to go to and a hike the following day. Genaro you don't need a different cassette you just need to ride more!
Old 06-27-13, 09:11 AM
ka0use

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
colorado railroad museum in golden. gonna score propaganda and souvenirs for an uncle who was an engineer for csx. take pics, too.
if i'm lucky they'll have steam up on an engine and i can ride the cushions. will put the bike on, too!
WOOOOOOOO WOOOOOOWOOOOO (TRAIN WHISTLE)

i heard a rumor of rain. that will sweeten the ride.

will post pics. stand by.

ok- it's done, i'm beat. the pics are in foo, title 'rodney's ride to r.r. museum in golden'.

Last edited by ka0use; 06-29-13 at 03:30 PM. Reason: send pics to foo
Old 06-27-13, 10:04 AM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
In my neck of the woods, 111 on Saturday, 113 on Sunday. If I ride, it will be along the coast, probably around Ventura.
Old 06-27-13, 10:14 AM
Lesper4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds Awesome I will definitely look forward to the pictures. By the way we did the Grand Canyon train trip which was rather quite short as is the California Surfliner. Do you know of any scenic, longer, with stops train trips?

Originally Posted by ka0use
colorado railroad museum in golden. gonna score propaganda and souvenirs for an uncle who was an engineer for csx. take pics, too.
if i'm lucky they'll have steam up on an engine and i can ride the cushions. will put the bike on, too!
WOOOOOOOO WOOOOOOWOOOOO (TRAIN WHISTLE)

i heard a rumor of rain. that will sweeten the ride.

will post pics. stand by.
Old 06-27-13, 10:15 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Sunday! Sunday!! SUNDAAAAAYYY!!!
Palomar with some loons I met on the Internet. Forecasted high is 90, so bring plenty water and endurolytes.
Old 06-27-13, 11:54 AM
ka0use

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
Palomar with some loons I met on the Internet. Forecasted high is 90, so bring plenty water and endurolytes.

been to the observatory! awful pretty there. a mile up, just like home.
Old 06-27-13, 12:00 PM
ka0use

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lesper4
Sounds Awesome I will definitely look forward to the pictures. By the way we did the Grand Canyon train trip which was rather quite short as is the California Surfliner. Do you know of any scenic, longer, with stops train trips?
cumbres-toltec rr (featured in an indiana jones film. circus train at the start), and durango-silverton rr.
one real short one close to denver is georgetown-silver plume. ~8 miles or so each way. nice ride through the trees. about 15 minutes each way. usetawuz a nice rr souvenir shop in gt, right off i-70.

am i gonna have to get you some crrm propaganda, too? railfan?
Old 06-27-13, 02:35 PM
Lesper4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't say railfan but I like to ride the trains. I was going to schedule a romantic trip with my wife but the only ones I saw were too much (Chicago to San Francisco and the one up in Canada in the national park I think that does a loop?). There is also the one in the gorge in Montana? but it is very short.
Old 06-28-13, 02:41 PM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
SART this morning down to HB and back (to Imperial & La Palma). Kinda toasty, wish we still had a marine layer that made it all the way to north OC.
Old 06-28-13, 04:21 PM
m2tiguy

Bikes: Lynskey, Helix

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
looks like I'll stay local and ride the hills of PV Saturday - 3-4 repeats of the switchbacks, etc. - too damn hot to ride baldy twice in 5 days !!
Old 06-28-13, 05:02 PM
Condorita
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
Axe murderers, all of them! Stay safe out there!!
Old 06-28-13, 09:11 PM
ka0use

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lesper4
I wouldn't say railfan but I like to ride the trains. I was going to schedule a romantic trip with my wife but the only ones I saw were too much (Chicago to San Francisco and the one up in Canada in the national park I think that does a loop?). There is also the one in the gorge in Montana? but it is very short.
was an electrician apprentice once, wiring passenger and utility (kitchen/dining, recreation, the jail {true! a one cell jail in the car with the massage tables**) cars. we built the rocky mountain railtours train. runs from bc to kamloops or banff, forget which. a laugh- no-one measured the height of the tunnels and most of the cars were an inch or so too high. woops. had to shorten them, snort. wasn't me, boss. i just stuffed 'em fulla wires.

for you former/current older smokers we also (mostly) built the marlboro party train. that one had the prison car. this was '95. my mom toured it. like to died. called it an orgy train. couldn't fault her perception. a 2 story dance hall/saloon car, jacuzzis (3), movie theater, 2 massage parlors, woops, rooms, 2 dining cars, a buncha sleepers, several day cars, doctor, po-leece, forget what all else. the rooms were soundproofed and had panic buttons. all cars were 2 story and the thing weighed more than the rails could handle. a couple had elevators, but no w/c access. dining cars had dumbwaiters 'cause the kitchens were upstairs. food was free, cash bars. there were ~16 cars not counting engine, 2 power cars.
the idea was to win a free ride on it. was gonna go all over the country. had to sign a paper that stated you were a smoker. mercy, a travellin' buncha loose-moraled drunk smokers raising cain 24/7 throughout the lower 48. wanna sign up to win?
well, marlboro (rj reynolds) finally quit because the mods and overruns were horrendous. problems- the freshwater tanks had to be rebuilt because they were sheet steel and put a lot of rust in the water. the cooks had a cow. went to ss. had to put in ss wastewater tanks- amtrak did away with dumping on the rails. a whole buncha wiring was done before amtrak got a look at it. this is interesting- amtrak considers a train to be the ground equivalent of an aircraft- it moves and vibrates. they required very expensive aircraft wire and clamps evawhur to minimize vibration. we had been wiring it like a building. the coast guard and navy may have similar requirements.

also built the florida fun train. ran/runs from orlando to lauderdale, i think.

Last edited by ka0use; 06-28-13 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-28-13, 10:25 PM
SKV11000
++++++

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glendora HS to Baldy Village with Wife for a spot of breakfast.
Old 06-29-13, 12:29 PM
Lesper4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For a not so early morning ride it sure is hot! https://app.strava.com/activities/63607282 I went through 4 bottles of water quite easily. This will be my first weekend in 9 weeks where I haven't ridden at least 92 miles and 7400 ft (I think). Going to do a hike up to Baden-Powell with the wife from Dawson's Saddle, hopefully it is cooler over/up there.
Old 06-29-13, 02:54 PM
SKV11000
++++++

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GMR was toasty. we got up to the HS at 6:45 and it was 81°.

There were 3-4 motorcycles and as many cars all way up to the village and much less on the way down. Not a lot of people riding either.

https://app.strava.com/activities/63644908

PCH tomorrow. LBC to Back Bay.
Old 06-29-13, 06:21 PM
m2tiguy

Bikes: Lynskey, Helix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^^^^^ - had fog and cool temps @ the beach - sun on PV during the climbs ( a 4peate of the switchbacks) - back down ,, to the fog for a cool ride home
Old 06-30-13, 04:47 PM
jmX

Bikes: Roubaix / Shiv

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Ended up doing SART both days, 25mi yesterday afternoon and 50mi today at noon. Doesn't seem like we got any of the heat wave in orange county, but it sure was windy out there today.