Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ever hear of "slow biking"??

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ever hear of "slow biking"??

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-13, 10:48 AM
cynergy

Bikes: Trek FX 7.2, Trek 520, Trek Allant+ 8S

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rootman
Well, finally I am AHEAD of the curve on something. I've been doing this for years.
Me too!
Old 09-03-13, 01:38 PM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cynergy
Me too!
I have to admit that it DOES get discouraging when I get passed by the little old ladies on trikes
Old 09-03-13, 03:53 PM
Condorita
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PlanoFuji
The stop and smell the rose or enjoy the moment, which are really what the slow bicycle movement is about have absolutely nothing to do with actual speed. To use your example, if someone 'pushes' themselves to get to Palos Verdes Peninsula, then they are not really paying attention to and enjoying the surroundings on the way. The SBM is all about enjoying the ride and not worrying about the destination, speed, or any of that. And as with anything else, it needs to be approached in moderation. If part of what someone enjoys is 'pushing themselves' then by all means do it. For them the SBM would be about once in awhile just riding for the sheer joy of riding, with no goals of any kind in mind.

The slow part is emphasized so much because it seems that so many cyclists approach cycling as if they are training for the TDF. Their riding is all about getting faster, beating the prior times, etc... Those cyclists are the very ones who benefit most from just occasionally tabling all that and just riding for the fun of it.
So, I'm a trendsetter. Yay me.