Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

The best and lightest urban/commuter/hybrid bike under $1000 - $1500

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

The best and lightest urban/commuter/hybrid bike under $1000 - $1500

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-14, 06:41 PM
e0richt

Bikes: Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by memebag
How can it damage a frame?

I've got a kickstand on my Giant and I love it. At stops on group rides I've seen people struggling to find someplace to lean their road bikes. I just leave mine wherever I want.
well, it depends on the kickstand but... assuming you have a road bike then you will probably need to use the chainstay type of kickstand and if you have an aluminum bike frame or carbon then if you overtighten the kickstand (which can happen way to easily)you can compromise its integrity and cause a failure...
Old 01-02-14, 07:35 PM
justaguest

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you know if there are any significant differences between Sirrus Comp 2013 and Sirrus Comp 2011? I found a good deal for used bike (2011), but not sure if I should get it.
Old 01-02-14, 07:45 PM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by e0richt
well, it depends on the kickstand but... assuming you have a road bike then you will probably need to use the chainstay type of kickstand and if you have an aluminum bike frame or carbon then if you overtighten the kickstand (which can happen way to easily)you can compromise its integrity and cause a failure...
Huh. I've just got the kickstand that comes with the Giant Escape City. I hope it can't damage the frame.
Old 01-03-14, 10:31 AM
e0richt

Bikes: Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by memebag
Huh. I've just got the kickstand that comes with the Giant Escape City. I hope it can't damage the frame.
in your case, you are fine... you have a kickstand that is near the crank... its made for it and you won't have a problem...
Im talking about a high end road bike which normally wouldn't have the room for a kickstand in the same position and you would
have to use a chainstay type of kickstand (the bar that goes to the rear wheel)...
Old 01-03-14, 12:18 PM
edsall78

Bikes: Lotus Legend (1982), Lotus Excelle Mixte (1984), Lotus Classique (1984)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't imagine spending $1000-1500 on what is essentially a commuting/utility bike.

I don't know how much the Allant currently weighs--but, again, I doubt that any of the bikes weigh significantly less..+/-5 pounds tops.

Having said that--if it's worth it to you for the 5 lbs.--I'd also look into getting a used Cannondale Touring frame (80's-90's). Those might be 'light'-er enough?? + have the ability to take fenders, racks, etc.

Bike + Complete Overhaul at a bike shop--you can probably do this for under $500. Sell the Allant at that point.
Old 01-04-14, 08:20 PM
justaguest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized Source 11 is close to what I'm looking for. But it had a totally ridiculous price and I think it was still relatively heavy...

Last edited by justaguest; 01-04-14 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-05-14, 12:25 AM
jsdavis

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
The Trek Allant is quite different than the other bikes you've listed in your first post which are more aggressive riding position. Is that something you are ok with? If you are serious about spending as much as $1500 on just the bike, I would gravitate towards something with internal gears if you need a multi-speed bike.

Maybe something like this Jamis Commuter4 , or less expensive Commuter 3 with 7 speed Nexus hub
Old 01-05-14, 12:33 AM
jsdavis

Originally Posted by justaguest
Specialized Source 11 is close to what I'm looking for. But it had a totally ridiculous price and I think it was still relatively heavy...
The Source 11 came out in 2013 or 2012 and at the time, the Alfine 11 hub alone is around $600 and the front generator hub is around $300-400; so that is part of it.
Old 01-05-14, 01:46 AM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Hi all, thanks for advice. Couple of questions:

1. Isn't it better to buy a well-known brand usually to be safe? Or are less well-known just as good and use the same parts? I am talking about Motabene and mentioned above Surly, Colnago, Pinarello and Nashbar.
2. Does anyone have an idea how weights and overall quality compare across Sirrus Comp / Cannondale Quick / Giant Escape City / Nashbar FB1 and Surly Cross-check?

Thank you very much!
Huh? Colnago and Pinarello are riden in the tour de france. How much more of a well known brand do you want?
Old 01-05-14, 12:04 PM
loimpact

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 3; 2014 Cannondale Quick 4; 2014 Cannondale Crash 4 hi-mod

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
Huh? Colnago and Pinarello are riden in the tour de france. How much more of a well known brand do you want?
rms.....I think he's just meaning more "common". I know here in So Cal (certainly a mecca for bike shops) I have yet to see a Colnago or Pinarello in a store just yet. Although I'll be the first one to tell anyone that the Colnagos are some of THE MOST BEAUTIFUL bikes I've seen!!

Still, I think he's inquiring more about Diamondback, Cannondale, Trek, etc. Certainly plenty of shops for those around. Funny story, there's a local shop w/ 2 locations here and they're about 5 miles apart. The one shop carries Cannondale & Felt and the other Cannondale & Giant because the first store can't carry Giant due to being too close to another Giant distributor.

BEAUTIFUL.........

Old 01-05-14, 01:17 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Fair enough. Any of the brands mentioned would be good. I have a Motobecane and I love it. Great value for what it costs but if your buying from Bikesdirect than you have to do some minor assembly and you may have to adjust deraileur out of the box so if you are not comfortable with that you will need to take to an LBS to set it up which will end up negating most of the money saved buying from BD. As a bike commuter, I will say its not worth worrying about weight. If you add fenders racks panniers etc your bike will be heavy. Personally, i prefer a nice steel frame for commuting because its more comfortable on crappy roads
Old 01-05-14, 02:57 PM
jsdavis

Weight, to some extent, does matter if it involves carrying the bike up and down stairs when an apartment or subway train is involved. But add racks, panniers, etc maybe not so much. My 25 pound bike is now a 40 pound bike with racks and panniers; 3-4 pounds for rack and pannier bag and about 10 pounds of cargo (lock, lunch, tools, extra batteries, etc).
Old 01-07-14, 09:01 PM
Condorita
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What do you think would be the best the best and lightest urban/commuter/hybrid bike under $1000 - $1500?

I currently use Trek Allant and like everything about it except for weight.

So, I want a more expensive, lighter bike that would still allow for upright position.

My research led me to

* Specialized Sirrus Comp,
* Cannondale Quick SL
* Trek FX 7.5/7.6
* Motobecane Cafe Century PRO (Black) - this one is a mystery to me. I am concerned about not a widely well-known name, but theser seem to be very light for its price. How is the quality?

Currently, I kind of gravitate to Specialized Sirrus Comp.

The issue I am having is that I would still prefer to use a back rack with foldable basket + fenders + kickstand (I have all these things on Allant and it is VERY comfortable to put a backpack or groceries in a basket, so I’d rather have them on new bike as well). So, the issue is that I’m worried whether I will actually get any significant benefit ion terms of weight if I put all these things on, let’s say, Sirrus Comp.

Also, I don’t know if it really makes any sense? Maybe there are commuter/urban/hybrid bikes that already have all these things installed but with priority being put on weight?
Let’s say, a Trek Allant “version" that is 2-3 times more expensive and uses lighter materials for everything? Is there such a bike?
I took a look at Specialized Globe series (Work, Daily and Roll). They are more expensive then Trek Allant, but they don't really look much lighter. Also, it is unclear what is the difference between Work, Daily and Roll..

And if I proceed with Sirrus Comp what would be your advice for back rack, fenders, portable basket and kickstand if I wanted not increase weight too much?

Thank you very much!
60+ year old overweight out-of-shape woman says "Stop being a weight wienie."