Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

3M tape to mount tubular on aluminium rim

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-23, 03:27 AM
escuta

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 16 Posts

Hi, Here in Brazil it's hard to get some items, including tape for mounting tubular tyres. I wish to use tape rather than glue. My rims are 1980s Campagnolo Lambda Strada and from my measurements I need tape that is 18mm or at a pinch,19mm wide.

3M double sided tape is manufactured locally and there seems to be 3 types of double sided tape that are 19mm in width and readilyavailable. All are Vhb (very high bond) varieties.

There's the 4905, which has red backing, 0.5mm of thickness, Vhb and clear. A second "model" code of HB004670665 is given for the 4905. Can be used with PVC, aluminium and glass.

There's also the 4910 which comes with either red or green backing. The red is 1mm thick, clear and can be used on various materials. Is also Vhb and transparent. The green seems to have the same specs.

There's also the very thick (1.5mm) 19mm wide CV-150 Vhb tape. It's grey in colour.

Are any of these tapes suitable? My guess would be to use the 0.5mm 4905 tape.

Thanks
Old 09-05-23, 04:55 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Probably not suited for the job, however there really is only one way to find out and that is by trying it. Could be risky if the tape lets go of the tire or rim when cornering. I saw that happen in a race once. The guy improperly glued the tire and it rolled off the rim. He went down and almost took out a few others.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 09-05-23, 06:16 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Yeah, I can second TiHabanero's point. No fun when the tire rolls off the rim, sticks in the brake, and you go over the handlebars. Spitting out parts of 13 teeth, and having the doc scrape the dirt out of your chin bone before sewing you up is a drag.

That said, you can ride without glue or tape for 99% of riding. But DON'T! (see above). 3M products are generally very well engineered, but I'd worry that in extreme heat, or exposure to water and mud, the adhesive might melt or fail, introducing not an adhesive force but a lubricant. And as an engineer I can think of may ways that the tape may be an awesome product, but for some use cases it might be poor.

If good tapes are not available, and you can't get Vittorio Mastik, I did read once that 3M Weatherstripping adhesive worked well. So if you have access to 3M products... May be available at auto repair stores.

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 09-05-23 at 06:27 AM.
Likes For WizardOfBoz:
Old 09-05-23, 07:55 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Probably not suited for the job, however there really is only one way to find out and that is by trying it. Could be risky if the tape lets go of the tire or rim when cornering. I saw that happen in a race once. The guy improperly glued the tire and it rolled off the rim. He went down and almost took out a few others.
Same technique used to apply leather wrap to bars results in leather slip once the adhesive dries. Dont want this fail for tubs.
Old 09-05-23, 08:37 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
3M FasTac auto trim adhesive has been used for sew up mounting for many decades. It is fairly thin and dries quickly and is a pain to center a tire on the rim because of this quick dry time. because of the very thin nature of the glue I suggest building up a couple/three layers on an new rim or a tire with an un coated base tape.

I knew someone who was using carpet tape, the tape that goes between the carpet and the floor. I never heard of his rolling a tire so I guess it worked for him.

But having rolled two tires long ago (still have the scar patches on my knee's side) I would be very careful about trying alternative methods. I strongly suggest experimenting before actually riding. Andy
Old 09-05-23, 10:23 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
3M FasTac auto trim adhesive has been used for sew up mounting for many decades.
IIRC they replaced the solvent based FasTac with a water based product (that is probably not as good, but safer for the professionals who use it all day).
Old 09-05-23, 12:05 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,582 Times in 1,432 Posts
I don't worry as much as many here about tires rolling due to a poor gluing job. (please read "glue" as meaning glue or tape herein) Tire width matters, but generally the 7atm pressure does a great job at constricting tires against the rim, so a strong glue doesn't matter so much. IMO --- 50yrs on tubulars --- the most important reason for glue is to prevent creep.

OTOH I've experienced multiple issues with overly strong glue. Flat tires can ce overly difficult to remove, especially in the cold or rain, when they are most likely. Also, the base tapes are only attached with rubber cement, so overly strong glue risks the tire coming off from its base tape, leaving you with the base still firmly glued to the rim.

I'm not familiar with the products you mention, but suspect that they're overly strong.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-05-23, 01:10 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
IIRC they replaced the solvent based FasTac with a water based product (that is probably not as good, but safer for the professionals who use it all day).
The Fast-Tack MSDS shows that its now water-based with an acrylic adhesive.

The 3M Weatherstripping adhesive is still the good stuff: MEK and MIK and ethylbenzene and toluene! 3M™ Black Super Weatherstrip Adhesive
Old 09-05-23, 02:34 PM
escuta

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 16 Posts
Thanks for all the comments everyone. I think I'll give up on tape especially since there's no tape specifically made for tubulars here that makes economic sense to buy (all $$$$). My tyres are Vittoria Rally. I'll get Vittoria Mastik One as it seems well regarded.
All the best,
Likes For escuta: