Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

fixing a drilled frame

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

fixing a drilled frame

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-23, 07:58 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by CrowSeph
It's a Legnano, but honestly does not seems a high tier. Even the model is not recognizable.
But the owner want to fix it. As now I need to find the local prices and then let him do his choice.
You probably know this, but one thing to look for would be a decal or sticker that says "Columbus" and "Doppia Spessore". If no sticker, I would suspect a unexceptional carbon steel.

Old 12-07-23, 09:46 AM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
You probably know this, but one thing to look for would be a decal or sticker that says "Columbus" and "Doppia Spessore". If no sticker, I would suspect a unexceptional carbon steel.

this one, but is not columbus.

speaking of the wich, i have another bike branded toMasini (yes one M). In the past someone told me that frame use columbus tubes but the logo is missing. is possible to recognize the tubing?
Old 12-07-23, 09:56 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
you are right, that's first spot on the cringe list alright. eesh.
Old 12-07-23, 10:38 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
this one, but is not columbus.
speaking of the wich, i have another bike branded toMasini (yes one M). In the past someone told me that frame use columbus tubes but the logo is missing. is possible to recognize the tubing?
If you can recognize the model number and year (from the serial number), you sometimes can find the spec in old advertisements and catalogs.
There is a technical way to identify alloy composition but its not common outside of steel mills and scrap yards. It's called X-ray Fluorescence. The analyzer costs about $10,000. View is probably not worth the climb.

Regarding the OP, Falck made some good tubes and Legnano used them in some high-end bikes (e.g. Campagnolo Gran Sport) so perhaps another way to assess the frame quality is by inference. Is the crank alloy? What brand? If the crank is a machine-lightened version of the campy Nuovo Record, and the handlebars and stem are Cinellli alloy, and the seat post is campy alloy and the seat is a brooks professional.. This may indicate a high end bike with frame to match. If the crank, stem, and handlebars are all steel then one might infer a more plebian model.
Likes For WizardOfBoz:
Old 12-07-23, 12:14 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
What's the purpose of the repair?
To prevent frame failure or future cracking?
To prevent corrosion?
Improve looks?

If you want to keep the water bottle cages, your idea on rivnuts is really the best option.

If the any of the holes is a little off, you can slightly larger hole to properly center it and install a slightly oversized rivnut
(last resort)

Welding just seems unnecessary
(especially if aluminum)
Old 12-07-23, 01:01 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
i have another bike branded toMasini (yes one M). In the past someone told me that frame use columbus tubes but the logo is missing. is possible to recognize the tubing?
Sometimes you can find manufacturer markings on the tubes. Columbus and Reynolds used to stamp their tubes, but these marks are sometimes lost when the tubes are trimmed for the frame. Places to look are chainstays near the bottom bracket, the base of the seat tube, the tops of the fork blades. Steer tubes are also often marked near the crown end. Ribs inside the steer tube may also indicate tube type: Five helical ribs are Columbus, five straight ribs Ishiwata, and six helical ribs Tange or Vitus. N.B. Columbus changed from stamping to graphite discharge marking in the mid 80s; pain will completely obscure this type of mark.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 12-07-23, 02:31 PM
CrowSeph

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Sometimes you can find manufacturer markings on the tubes. Columbus and Reynolds used to stamp their tubes, but these marks are sometimes lost when the tubes are trimmed for the frame. Places to look are chainstays near the bottom bracket, the base of the seat tube, the tops of the fork blades. Steer tubes are also often marked near the crown end. Ribs inside the steer tube may also indicate tube type: Five helical ribs are Columbus, five straight ribs Ishiwata, and six helical ribs Tange or Vitus. N.B. Columbus changed from stamping to graphite discharge marking in the mid 80s; pain will completely obscure this type of mark.
in the next day i'll cheeck the other frame. thanks for the tips
Old 12-07-23, 02:32 PM
CrowSeph

Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
What's the purpose of the repair?
To prevent frame failure or future cracking?
To prevent corrosion?
Improve looks?

If you want to keep the water bottle cages, your idea on rivnuts is really the best option.

If the any of the holes is a little off, you can slightly larger hole to properly center it and install a slightly oversized rivnut
(last resort)

Welding just seems unnecessary
(especially if aluminum)
the new owner requested a full restore.
still i'am undecided what to do