Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Is there an angry/dangerous driver in your area? Data base

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-15, 10:12 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts

Close Call Database For Cycling

I had never heard of this until a club member posted about an incident in our area. Thought it might be helpful to others.
Old 07-27-15, 11:04 AM
Cyclosaurus

Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I joined...if I get a gopro to catch the license plates I'll be able to add about a half-dozen reports on every commute.
Old 07-27-15, 11:12 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,522 Times in 2,862 Posts
Interesting.
Thanks for the link!
Old 07-27-15, 11:55 AM
climberguy

Bikes: better than I deserve

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't mean to make light of this--it looks like a worthwhile effort. But it almost seems in my area that a much smaller list would be the courteous and considerate drivers.

Last edited by climberguy; 07-27-15 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-27-15, 12:14 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Just signed up.

Minor inconvenience/risk I can deal with. Real problems need to be tracked somehow, and this looks like a good start.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 07-27-15, 12:30 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Close Call Database For Cycling

I had never heard of this until a club member posted about an incident in our area. Thought it might be helpful to others.
While the intent of the database founder and some its contributors may be positive, a database gathering anonymous derogatory reports on strangers seems ripe for abuse by drama queens, hysterics and people with clouded judgement about all their alleged motorist "enemies".

The claim that "If that same driver does harm a cyclist at a later date, the information in the Incident Reports will help ensure that justice is served" is at best wishful thinking.

I think if a cyclist witnesses negative behavior meriting a report to the database, it should instead be reported to the appropriate legal authorities. If the database cannot filter out behavior not serious enough for such a report, it will be seen as nothing more than a place helpful for cranks and crybabies to vent. Just like Letters to the Editor or comments to Internet news articles and blogs.
Old 07-27-15, 02:57 PM
bruce19

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike

I think if a cyclist witnesses negative behavior meriting a report to the database, it should instead be reported to the appropriate legal authorities.
And, in the case that brought this to my attention, that's exactly what happened. The guy who posted this is one of the founders of our Cycling club. He led a B ride for our club this Saturday that I was a part of. He's actually a good friend too. Apparently, the CT State Police knew the driver and let him know he was in the wrong.
Old 07-27-15, 03:37 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
The claim that "If that same driver does harm a cyclist at a later date, the information in the Incident Reports will help ensure that justice is served" is at best wishful thinking.
I share the pessimistic view that the database won't change much, but I disagree about this comment. If a motorist is charged with a crime in an incident with a cyclist, and previous incidents can be brought as evidence of intent (e.g., by depositions from witnesses of those former events, located through the database), that can influence the outcome. The defendant will have a harder time portraying an incident as an innocent mistake if he/she has a history.
Old 07-27-15, 06:28 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
we had a guy that was harassing cyclists in this area. A concerted effort to find him paid off, and the cops went for a "come to Jesus" meeting. A sqad of cop cars outside the house of someone like this will convince them to take up a different hobby.
Old 07-27-15, 06:32 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
I live on Long Island where 50% of the female drives drive SUVs and the majority have a cell phone in their hand.

"Sorry, I didn't see you" doesn't cut it anymore.
Old 07-27-15, 06:36 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not a very credible source for positive or negative comments. Inevitably there will be relatively few people making comments about a greater number of "offenders". It doesn't take long for a visitor to A&S to realize there are those for whom every ride is a trip through a war zone and all is fair when attacking the enemy.
Old 07-27-15, 06:51 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I wish auto insurance companies would underwrite sites like the one in the OP. It would be an effective way to weed out problematic policy holders; just raise the rates on the rats and watch them run off to another, less profitable, company that will get to pay for their inevitable crashes.

Sure, it's not going to happen. That's why I said it was a wish.
Old 07-27-15, 07:15 PM
nobodyhere
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Our state police have a number that you can call to report aggressive drivers. I would imagine that bicyclists (technically "motorists", also)could and do report also. Please see the info below:

"Since the program was started, the SP has received more than 230,000 reports of aggressive drivers.

Some examples of aggressive driving behaviors are moving violations that put other motorists at risk, such as improper lane changes, following too closely, weaving, passing on the shoulder, and speeding.

When observing an aggressive driver that is putting other motorists at risk, the aggressive driver should be avoided by getting out of the way, not making eye contact or giving any indication of disapproval of their driving behavior. Contact the SP as soon as is safely possible and be prepared to provide the following information: vehicle description, license plate number, location and direction of travel, driver description, and the aggressive driving behavior being demonstrated.

The information provided is entered into an aggressive driver database. After three complaints are received against a vehicle, the registered owner is sent a warning letter advising them of the complaints and encouraging them to take the necessary steps to correct the aggressive driving behavior. If additional complaints are received against the vehicle, a uniformed SP member makes personal contact with the registered owner of the vehicle and takes appropriate enforcement action."

Seems to work well, none of the problems mentioned above, as far as I know.

Last edited by nobodyhere; 07-27-15 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-27-15, 07:22 PM
bruce19

Originally Posted by unterhausen
we had a guy that was harassing cyclists in this area. A concerted effort to find him paid off, and the cops went for a "come to Jesus" meeting. A sqad of cop cars outside the house of someone like this will convince them to take up a different hobby.
There is a rumor that the driver in question was known to the State Police because he has a "record." What this means I don't know. But, the police told my friend that he would not be bothering anyone in the future. I don't know all the details so I won't speculate.

I think one of the benefits of the list is just forewarning cyclists about hostile drivers. It is just this kind of situation that causes me to carry when I'm alone or it's just me and my gf.
Old 07-27-15, 07:26 PM
bruce19

Originally Posted by oldnslow2
I live on Long Island where 50% of the female drives drive SUVs and the majority have a cell phone in their hand.

"Sorry, I didn't see you" doesn't cut it anymore.
I grew up in Hackensack and married a woman from LI. I have a lot of experience there. Actually, my gf and I just spent a weekend at a friend's house on Shelter Island, Other than out near the fork, which I could never afford, you couldn't get me to live on LI. Way too crowded and filled with too many "I am the world" types. I don't know how you do it.
Old 07-27-15, 08:18 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I don't know how you do it.
Ride early in the morning, ride back roads, ride with both ears listening, both eyes constantly scanning and not be afraid to take the lane when there's not room for both.
Old 07-27-15, 08:41 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by oldnslow2
I expect the database to filled with anonymous reports with similar scary rhetoric about female drivers, SUVs and/or texting. Or perhaps some other stereotypical boogeymen.
Old 07-28-15, 06:13 AM
no sweat
Hardening the F up

Bikes: 02 Litespeed Siena, 29# hard tail Tank

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can we also build a database of cyclists with unreasonable expectations and bad attitudes and get *them* a visit from the SP? I will *never* forget being held up on a rural two laner in VT a decade ago by 40 or 50 cyclists riding en masse, taking the entire lane and a little of the opposing lane too for good mneasure. Neighborly? Not. I beeped (politely as possible, road runner style short tap-tap) and was given the finger. Less extreme variations happen too often and -- in my view - contribute to the problem that we have to live with.
Old 07-28-15, 08:15 AM
bikepro

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
While the intent of the database founder and some its contributors may be positive, a database gathering anonymous derogatory reports on strangers seems ripe for abuse by drama queens, hysterics and people with clouded judgement about all their alleged motorist "enemies".

I think if a cyclist witnesses negative behavior meriting a report to the database, it should instead be reported to the appropriate legal authorities. If the database cannot filter out behavior not serious enough for such a report, it will be seen as nothing more than a place helpful for cranks and crybabies to vent. Just like Letters to the Editor or comments to Internet news articles and blogs.
I agree. Prior reports are unsubstantiated and whould have no bearing on a later incident. If serious enough, it's better to report to police.
Old 07-28-15, 09:29 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by no sweat
Can we also build a database of cyclists with unreasonable expectations and bad attitudes and get *them* a visit from the SP? I will *never* forget being held up on a rural two laner in VT a decade ago by 40 or 50 cyclists riding en masse, taking the entire lane and a little of the opposing lane too for good mneasure. Neighborly? Not. I beeped (politely as possible, road runner style short tap-tap) and was given the finger. Less extreme variations happen too often and -- in my view - contribute to the problem that we have to live with.
Same thing with Harley riders. FWIW.
Old 07-28-15, 10:20 AM
habilis

Bikes: 90's Bianchi Premio, Raleigh-framed fixed gear, Trek 3500, Centurion hybrid, Dunelt 3-spd, Trek 800

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2167 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My approach is to ASSUME NOTHING and take full responsibility for my own safety. This means, among other things,

1. No riding at dusk or at night (I don't have lights, and reflectors don't cut it when your life is at stake).

2. Wear the most conspicuously colored shirt possible. I try to wear the day-glo orange or green shirts worn by road crews. If those are in the laundry, I at least wear white. Anything less visible and you are at great risk.

3. I ride defensively and observe traffic laws (stop signs, traffic lights, keep to the right, don't ride against traffic, don't weave in and out of parked vehicles, use hand signals, etc.).

4. I use a rear-view mirror. If you find them hard to get used to, so is a wheelchair.

5. When I ride with others, we don't ride two abreast, three abreast, etc, as if we owned the road.

6. I understand that in an argument with a 2- or 3-ton vehicle, I will inevitably lose.

7. I ALWAYS wear a helmet, for when the unavoidable happens.

I think there are fewer mean-spirited drivers than there are people tired of dealing with careless cyclists who don't realize how inconspicuous they are to a motorist.

Last edited by habilis; 07-28-15 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-28-15, 12:07 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not exactly sure just what this project is but it more resembles yet another time waster with profiling overtones than anything else.

To be actually useful information gathered has to be easily available to the biking public. I just tried to see what was reported. No joy. Unless I wanted to join "Strava" or register with the site I couldn't even see reports.

As a safety promoting project it is a Fail on many levels.
Old 07-28-15, 12:25 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by HawkOwl
Not exactly sure just what this project is but it more resembles yet another time waster with profiling overtones than anything else.

To be actually useful information gathered has to be easily available to the biking public. I just tried to see what was reported. No joy. Unless I wanted to join "Strava" or register with the site I couldn't even see reports.

As a safety promoting project it is a Fail on many levels.
Perhaps it is a success for promoting Strava as a "safety" tool, rather than an OCD toy.
Old 07-28-15, 09:12 PM
DBrown9383

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride about 5mi. a day now in our neighborhood and there's one lady that drives a minivan at twice the speed limit every time she leaves her house or arrives. This is a small neighborhood and there's a house with 3 small children that she passes on her so important errands that she must drive 50mph. Not sure what to do about it except get on the grass when I see her coming. I'm not going to call the cops but she WILL hit someone. Forgot to mention, I get a dirty look from her every time as if she owns the road and bicycles should be banned.
Old 07-28-15, 09:25 PM
nobodyhere
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DBrown9383
I ride about 5mi. a day now in our neighborhood and there's one lady that drives a minivan at twice the speed limit every time she leaves her house or arrives. This is a small neighborhood and there's a house with 3 small children that she passes on her so important errands that she must drive 50mph. Not sure what to do about it except get on the grass when I see her coming. I'm not going to call the cops but she WILL hit someone. Forgot to mention, I get a dirty look from her every time as if she owns the road and bicycles should be banned.
If those kid(s) are killed or imjured, you will not be able to live with yourself. Talk to the cops.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.