Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

When I bought my bike, I didn't look at the overall cost in $$

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-16, 04:09 AM
SlinkyWizard

Bikes: 2016 Trek DS 8.5, Giant Fastroad Comax 1 2018

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts

I bought a relatively decent hybrid bike a month ago, for exercise purposes, to ride with the missus, and to try living as car free as possible. I did some research, went to the LBS, picked the bike I liked, looked at the price tag, it seemed reasonable, paid for it, and off I went thinking this was all I needed.

Within a week, I had gone back to the bike store to buy a front and rear light, a bike rack, a bike lock, a pump, and a bike computer. 2 weeks in, I had added padded bike short ( cheap ones ) merino wool socks, a side mirror and a bag to put on the bike rack.

Thinking I was done, I stumbled upon information on bike maintenance, ( bike maintenance?? what on earth is bike maintenance ? when I was a kid, there was never any maintenance done on our bikes, they seemed to last forever. ) and was surprised at how often people, say, clean and lube their bike chain, and give their bike a once over. So I went back to the bike store and bought some dry lube, cleaned and lubed my chain. I am also thinking about getting a stand so I can clean my bike at home.

Upon further digging, I now realize that I'll need to replace my chain every now and then, cassettes and chain ring less frequently, of course tires, and possibly a new saddle if I still have sore sit bones after another month. There must be many other bike components that also need to be replaced eventually, that I don't know about. Also the cost of getting professionals to do necessary work done to my bike if I haven't figured out how to do it myself. When the price tag of the bike says $xxx, I naively only looked at the price tag.

While this might sound like me complaining, it is not, if I could go back in time, and know I would be spending a lot more money aside from the actual cost of the bike, I would gladly do it again. It's been an interesting experience so far. When I bought the bike, I was at the top of the rabbit hole, how far I have stumbled down the hole since? I don't know yet. But I am still tumbling, for sure.

Last edited by SlinkyWizard; 01-08-16 at 05:02 AM.
Old 01-08-16, 05:25 AM
TriDanny47

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Easy to do - like getting into any sport or hobby, there are startup costs you know ... Then a whole a lot you soon discover ... Then maintenance and ongoing costs. There are needs ... Then wants/desires.

If $ is a concern or just a principal, most bike maintenance and even a lot of repair is doable with a little education (online videos, books, etc) and the investment in some specialty tools.
Old 01-08-16, 05:47 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
At least your bike is a whole lot better than having a boat. With a boat you're putting good money into a hole in the water, with a bike you're putting good money into a healthy lifestyle.

Enjoy and prepare for n+1!
Old 01-08-16, 05:58 AM
SlinkyWizard

Bikes: 2016 Trek DS 8.5, Giant Fastroad Comax 1 2018

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
I'm loving it so far, averaging around 30km a day, and having only driven a car a couple of times in the last month, the money saved on petrol will one day pay for the bike and then some..

I have also bookmarked a ton a how to bike vids and will soon hopefully understand how to clean and fix the basics.

Whats is n +1 ? I hope it is not something similar with headphones because I have been down that path before, but luckily, I knew when to stop.

A quick question, do better bike components last longer? or is it more about a "smoother" ride? I was thinking that perhaps I could have gotten a better bike, but now looking at components I will have to eventually replace, I think I am happy with what I got.

Last edited by SlinkyWizard; 01-08-16 at 06:03 AM.
Old 01-08-16, 06:25 AM
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
N is the number of bikes you have. N + 1 is the number of bikes you need.

Your components will likely last much longer than you expect. Unless you just like to "invest" in accessories, you're probably about where you need to be.

ETA: If by better components, you mean more expensive, make sure they are going to do something for you. There is practically no limit to how much you can spend to save an amount of weight only important to a professional racer. Try to make sure any upgrades actually do something for you.
Old 01-08-16, 06:29 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
At least your bike is a whole lot better than having a boat. With a boat you're putting good money into a hole in the water, with a bike you're putting good money into a healthy lifestyle.

A friend's wife put it in a similar way: better than getting a fancy Corvette pocketbook wise.
Old 01-08-16, 07:03 AM
GerryinHouston

Bikes: Novarra Randonee 2016, Trek Verve 2 2015

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You should try sailing!...

Anyway, been there, done that! I bought all of the items you are talking about and done all this (actually, as you will find out, there are some more 'must haves'...).

If I could go back, the only thing I would have done differently, is I'd have bought a better specced bike (or two... )
Old 01-08-16, 07:15 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
be glad if you ever have to change your chain or cassette cuz that means you're enjoying yourself! it's a right of passage to look forward to! :-)
Old 01-08-16, 07:17 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts

Also stay away from motorcycles.
Old 01-08-16, 07:35 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by SlinkyWizard
I bought a relatively decent hybrid bike a month ago, for exercise purposes, to ride with the missus, and to try living as car free as possible. I did some research, went to the LBS, picked the bike I liked, looked at the price tag, it seemed reasonable, paid for it, and off I went thinking this was all I needed.

Within a week, I had gone back to the bike store to buy a front and rear light, a bike rack, a bike lock, a pump, and a bike computer. 2 weeks in, I had added padded bike short ( cheap ones ) merino wool socks, a side mirror and a bag to put on the bike rack.

Thinking I was done, I stumbled upon information on bike maintenance, ( bike maintenance?? what on earth is bike maintenance ? when I was a kid, there was never any maintenance done on our bikes, they seemed to last forever. ) and was surprised at how often people, say, clean and lube their bike chain, and give their bike a once over. So I went back to the bike store and bought some dry lube, cleaned and lubed my chain. I am also thinking about getting a stand so I can clean my bike at home.

Upon further digging, I now realize that I'll need to replace my chain every now and then, cassettes and chain ring less frequently, of course tires, and possibly a new saddle if I still have sore sit bones after another month. There must be many other bike components that also need to be replaced eventually, that I don't know about. Also the cost of getting professionals to do necessary work done to my bike if I haven't figured out how to do it myself. When the price tag of the bike says $xxx, I naively only looked at the price tag.

While this might sound like me complaining, it is not, if I could go back in time, and know I would be spending a lot more money aside from the actual cost of the bike, I would gladly do it again. It's been an interesting experience so far. When I bought the bike, I was at the top of the rabbit hole, how far I have stumbled down the hole since? I don't know yet. But I am still tumbling, for sure.
Not really. Once you have what you need, it is just a matter of routine maintenance. Do things like wheels, brake pads, bottom brackets, cables, and shifters wear out? Sure, but I wouldn't worry about it until something actually gives you trouble. A lot depends on how much you ride a bike, and in what conditions. The bike that is ridden in rainy, snowy, or dirty conditions will require a lot more maintenance than the bike ridden in mostly fair weather.

As far as other stuff goes, tools last a really long time, ditto for grease, lube, degreaser, etc... You might find yourself buying kit or accessories from time to time, but that may be as much a want as a need. Like a new jersey or pair of shorts to add to the rotation. Or fall gloves. Or special cycling socks when regular socks will cushion your feet almost as well.

Last edited by MRT2; 01-08-16 at 07:44 AM.
Old 01-08-16, 08:11 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

I bought a relatively decent hybrid bike a month ago…

Upon further digging…there must be many other bike components that also need to be replaced eventually, that I don't know about. Also the cost of getting professionals to do necessary work done to my bike if I haven't figured out how to do it myself. When the price tag of the bike says $xxx, I naively only looked at the price tag.

When I bought the bike, I was at the top of the rabbit hole, how far I have stumbled down the hole since? I don't know yet. But I am still tumbling, for sure.

Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
A friend's wife put it in a similar way: better than getting a fancy Corvette pocketbook wise.
I recently posted from the bottom of the rabbit hole to this thread on Fifty-Plus, "Buying expensive bikes and parts...,” including this definition of a really nice bike I read on Bike Forums:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
It seems that the topic of buying expensive bikes has become the newest popcorn thread of 2015.

”Are expensive bikes necessary? (Moral conundrum.)

My new $7,000 bike and the futility of justifying the price to the average person.

I once read this definition on BF of a really nice bike, "Lighter than a f@rt, and more expensive than a divorce."
Old 01-08-16, 08:22 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
If you want an eye opener. Calculate how much money you save riding your bike.

Simply not paying for car parking 9 hours/day, 5-days/week/ 52 weeks/year....I save $2350, every year based on what the city charges for garage or meter parking. I could buy myself a whole new road bike every year, and still come out ahead just on parking alone....never mind the cost of gas, and car maintenance expenses.

Every hobby has some upfront costs. But odds are if you commit to it and ride every work day, you'll still come out ahead financially inside of a year.
Old 01-08-16, 08:22 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
A quick question, do better bike components last longer? or is it more about a "smoother" ride?
Not in my experience. Once you step up to entry level bike store quality components stuff lasts a really long time. Fancier junk can actually sometimes be less robust than the less expensive stuff!

And "smoother" (if and when it actually exists) may be extremely difficult to detect... especially in a blind test.

A few years ago, in a study by researchers from CalTech and Stanford, they found that if a person is told that he or she is tasting two different wines—and that one costs $5 and the other $45 when they are, in fact, the same wine—the part of the brain that experiences pleasure will become more active when the drinker thinks he or she is enjoying the more expensive vintage. Thus, the person will believe the more expensive wine is better quality due to it being more expensive.
Higher Price, Better Product? | Living Rich Cheaply
Old 01-08-16, 08:45 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
You've got your bike, some riding clothes, accessories, you can stop buying stuff if you want to. Don't get a cassette tool chain whip and cone wrenches until you replace the cassette, etc. A stand isn't necessary to clean the bike. I'm not saying that it isn't good to have the extra stuff you want, but it's beyond the cost of entry, beyond the "overall cost" of owning and using a bike.
Old 01-08-16, 09:06 AM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I've had a lot of boats and motorcycles. Believe me bicycling, is a lot cheaper.
Old 01-08-16, 09:15 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Seńor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
I am going throught he exact same thing. The sticker on the car window said $12000, but every three months I have to pay for 'oil changes', and I am expected to 'wash' the car more frequently than that.
Old 01-08-16, 09:33 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
You should carry a patch kit and a spare tube. One should learn how to fix a flat tire. Also a lock.
Old 01-08-16, 09:37 AM
Stratocaster

Bikes: 2015 CAAD 10; 2016 Felt Z85

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I hear ya. I started "serious" riding last June.
I'm still looking for stuff to buy. It's more of a "wish list" rather than "must haves". Even so, I'm enjoying all of it. Cycling really has it's hooks in me.
Old 01-08-16, 09:52 AM
B8888S

Bikes: '13 Roubaix Elite Apex, '13 Stumpjumper FSR Elite, '14 Demo 8 II, & '13 Stumpjumper Comp HT

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
be glad if you ever have to change your chain or cassette cuz that means you're enjoying yourself! it's a right of passage to look forward to! :-)
Truth! I hang a lot of my old worn out bike items on the walls in my garage. I keep them as souvenirs from all of the great times I have had on a bike.

With any hobby their are associated costs. We all know this and have been down that road with my other hobbies. My wife is just happy that this time it is a hobby that keeps me active and healthy. She did not feel this way when $$$$$ was going into classic cars, motorcycles, firearms, guitars or some of the other expensive hobbies I have been involved in. She never gives me a hard time when a box of cycling stuff is sitting on the porch after work. Just so I keep riding on a regular basis.

If you think you are in deep. Try outfitting a family of 4. We all mountain bike year round and take trips every summer to a couple of bike parks for some epic family downhill days! I am not complaining and love getting outside and enjoying life.
Old 01-08-16, 10:02 AM
Ed_P

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I experienced exactly the same when I got into cycling, sadly it doesn't get any cheaper, I am afraid! Try to see it as a positive investment and something that will bring you days and hours of joy long into the future.

-Ed
Old 01-08-16, 10:41 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by B8888S
Try outfitting a family of 4
Old 01-08-16, 10:58 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
Getting into bicycling has a high front end cost, and as the OP found out, it goes way beyond the bike itself.

OTOH - most people do all that one time purchasing within the first ninety days or so. Once that period is over and they have the basic needs the cost to keep riding are very low.

Of course one might continue spending for upgrades or all sorts of other stuff, but that's a choice, not a need. Actual maintenance costs are very low unless one goes crazy with ultra high end replacement parts.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-08-16, 11:03 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I( bike maintenance?? what on earth is bike maintenance ? when I was a kid, there was never any maintenance done on our bikes, they seemed to last forever. )
Sure but as a kid I'd ride 2 or 3 miles a couple times a week. If I rode that little now, maintenance would still be pretty rare. (And the parents did it when we weren't paying attention back then.)
Old 01-08-16, 11:04 AM
Hermes1

Bikes: Montague Para Trooper High line

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TriDanny47
Easy to do - like getting into any sport or hobby, there are startup costs you know ... Then a whole a lot you soon discover ... Then maintenance and ongoing costs. There are needs ... Then wants/desires.

If $ is a concern or just a principal, most bike maintenance and even a lot of repair is doable with a little education (online videos, books, etc) and the investment in some specialty tools.
Pretty much and to the point.

Having owned boats I can laugh and agree with this.

Originally Posted by bruce19
Also stay away from motorcycles.
Yes, so true where everything in motorcycles is expensive, the industry see's you coming. Might as well bend over and grab your ankles.
Old 01-08-16, 11:46 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
My dad was into boats. Got me into it. I kept my boats very small so $$ output wasn't huge but still real. The boat dictated where I could live, what I drove, etc, etc. My dad stayed into boats. Eventually bought the boat to fulfill a dream, sailing the Atlantic. That boat and the modifications and prep to cross an ocean would easily cover n+1 bikes for a bunch of us for a lifetime. And at 34' was about as small as you would want to go to sail an ocean with a crew of four. (I got to hang onto my money and join him for that sail. An experience of a lifetime.)

I no longer sail. Just bikes. One small car (that costs roughly twice what I have spent in bikes). No family. (A conscious decision I made decades ago, not for the $$ but to not bring a child into this world; a huge money saver none the less.)

Ben

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.