Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What do you call this brake component?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-23, 09:12 PM
PirateJack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

Hi There,

I've got an ole Cannondale T700 circa 1990-something.

I love it but the brakes are unique and I think are due for an overhaul. I'm actually not sure what you call these things, but there's an aluminum disk that sits in the cable set about where a yoke would be<see attached>. I've researched a bit but am not finding much to clue me in.

Can someone tell me what you call these things?

Jack
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
BikeBrake.pdf (100.7 KB, 181 views)
Old 06-04-23, 09:14 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
Originally Posted by PirateJack
Hi There,

I've got an ole Cannondale T700 circa 1990-something.

I love it but the brakes are unique and I think are due for an overhaul. I'm actually not sure what you call these things, but there's an aluminum disk that sits in the cable set about where a yoke would be<see attached>. I've researched a bit but am not finding much to clue me in.

Can someone tell me what you call these things?

Jack
It's a Travel Agent (or similar). Allows you to run long-pull V-brakes with short pull brake levers.

https://www.parktool.com/en-us/blog/...and-adjustment
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 06-04-23, 09:26 PM
PirateJack

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks a million, glad I joined this forum, that's my first question and you're prompt response is exactly what I needed!
Old 06-04-23, 10:15 PM
PirateJack

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
OK, so I assume the brake set is called a V-Brake. There's a spring wire that retracts away from the rim.

Does it make sense to replace just those springs or should the whole set just be replaced together?
Old 06-04-23, 10:28 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 249 Posts
It's a clown device. LOL.
Like L shaped crank arms that were supposed to improve power. LOL.
Likes For GamblerGORD53:
Old 06-04-23, 10:38 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
OK, so I assume the brake set is called a V-Brake. There's a spring wire that retracts away from the rim.

Does it make sense to replace just those springs or should the whole set just be replaced together?
It is technically a Linear Pull brake. V-Brake is the registered trademark of the Shimano Corporation so if Shimano brakes then yes if not Linear Pull.

If your springs are worn out and the brakes are not functional then yes replace the brakes, if you want to keep the Travel Agents I would probably look at the Deore T610s which are easily available and not super expensive but decent quality and then replace the pads/shoes with the Kool Stop Tectonics and improve your braking quite a bit. If you don't want to use the travel agents but want a similar linear pull brake the TRP CX8.4 are a great option and again would replace the pads with Kool Stop but in this case the S-group road size so probably a Dura or Dura2 in that triple compound or double compound since it is a smaller pad. If you really love the bike and have the money Paul Components MotoLItes for linear pull brakes are the best (though I swapped from the Kool Stop integrated shoes and pads to replaceable ones because a stiff shoe will provide better braking then the one piece stuff) and their MiniMoto is great for a short pull linear pull brake again same sort of pad and shoe swapping.

If everything works fine just clean it up lubricate it correctly as needed and get yourself some Kool Stop shoes with replaceable pads as I have been saying a lot in the past thread. That and some new cables and housing of high quality so uncoated polished stainless steel and a good compresisonless housing and you will improve your braking significantly without a lot of money spent.

Unfortunately GamblerGORD53 is incorrect it is not a clown device it is as discussed a device to allow you to run short pull levers with long pull brakes. It may not be pretty but it does the job and if they could find a product that does it better I am game to see it. There are not a ton of levers that are long pull road brake levers and the one or two I have seen are not ones I would want to use and the short pull linear pull brakes are slightly newer and not bad but they are not standard linear pull brakes.
The L shape crank arms however were pretty silly though.

Last edited by veganbikes; 06-04-23 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-04-23, 11:08 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,582 Times in 1,432 Posts
Brake return springs rarely need replacing, other than due to rust.

If the brake action is poor, th e likely cause is friction either at the pivots or the cable.

Don't spend money yet. Take little apart, clean, then reassemble with lube. If anything needs replacing, it's likely the cable.

BTW if this is old, the shoes are likely dried out and will produce less braking friction and more rim wear.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 06-04-23, 11:41 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Is this the bike?
https://www.bikepedia.com/Quickbike/...%20&model=T700
Old 06-05-23, 05:17 AM
PirateJack

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Yup, that's it.

You even got the color,...
Old 06-05-23, 07:31 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
OK, so I assume the brake set is called a V-Brake.
Originally Posted by veganbikes
It is technically a Linear Pull brake. V-Brake is the registered trademark of the Shimano Corporation so if Shimano brakes then yes if not Linear Pull.
Don't worry, even if not Shimano every one else will still call them "V Brakes" and know what you're talking about and Shimano lawyers aren't coming after you.

Typically there are 3 holes where the spring can be located and major spring tension can be adjusted by which hole is used. Adjusting screws used for fine adjustment. But as said first clean and lube pivots and address any cable issues
Likes For dedhed:
Old 06-05-23, 08:56 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts

If the spring isn’t returning the brake calipers to the open position, it is likely due to friction in the housing which is usually caused by corrosion of the inner cable. Start with replacing the cable and housing. If the spring is still too weak, you can physically bend the the spring outward a little. The spring is the long wire piece that runs up the brake arm on both sides. When you are done, use the screws at the bottom of the arm to balance the spring action on each arm.

All that said, the brake is set up a little funky. The Travel Agent should be outside of that rack bracket on the left side of the bike. Being inside that bracket may keep the brake from working properly. The cable routing is normally on the left of the seat post rather than the right like yours. You might also check the orientation of the spherical orbit washers on the pads. Your arms look very close together which may mean that the pervious owner put the narrow orbit washer (green arrow below) on the inside (towards the wheel) of the brake caliper. If you put the wide washer on the inside, the arms will be pushed out a bit and the Travel Agent will be easier to mount on the outside of that bracket.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-11-23, 07:18 AM
PirateJack

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
So, I've decided to take this approach;

..."just clean it up lubricate it correctly as needed and get yourself some Kool Stop shoes with replaceable pads as I have been saying a lot in the past thread. That and some new cables and housing of high quality so ...uncoated polished stainless steel and a good compresisonless housing..."

I'm looking at my setup and at the Kool Stop products. Are Linear Pull or V Type pads all the same size? Also, my pad appears to be one piece with the threaded post built into the pad. Is the post built into the pad or is that supposed to be removable or is it one piece?
Old 06-11-23, 07:34 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
I install these all the time when v-brakes are used to replace cantis but we keep the stock canti pull levers on the bar.
Attached Images
Likes For soyabean:
Old 06-11-23, 09:58 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
It's a clown device. LOL.
Actually it's not. It's a means of changing the cable-pull ratio. There is no comparison to L-shaped crank arms.
I had direct-pull brakes on my road bike which also had drop bars with Shimano STI shifters. The bike came from the factory with Travel Agents installed to make the short-travel levers compatible with the long-travel brakes.
When I changed from drop bars to trekking bars, I used the TA to avoid having the cable to the front brake sticking out to the side.

It's a bit of a weird cable arrangement, but it works. The Travel Agent is not changing the cable pull ratio here; it's acting as a simple pulley.

Here's the top view FWIW.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 06-11-23, 11:03 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

So, I've decided to take this approach;

..."just clean it up lubricate it correctly as needed and get yourself some Kool Stop shoes with replaceable pads as I have been saying a lot in the past thread. That and some new cables and housing of high quality so ...uncoated polished stainless steel and a good compresisonless housing..."

I'm looking at my setup and at the Kool Stop products. Are Linear Pull or V Type pads all the same size? Also, my pad appears to be one piece with the threaded post built into the pad. Is the post built into the pad or is that supposed to be removable or is it one piece?
You should look at the pictures that soyabean and sweeks posted with regard to the orientation of the Travel Agent. Yours is installed at an angle that it shouldn’t be. It should come into the noodle receiver at close to a 90° angle like in the picture below. No noodle or Travel Agent should come into the brake at an angle like yours does.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-11-23, 01:02 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
No noodle or Travel Agent should come into the brake at an angle like yours does.
That's a frayed brake cable waiting to happen!
Old 06-11-23, 01:53 PM
PirateJack

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Advice taken

You should look at the pictures that soyabean and sweeks posted with regard to the orientation of the Travel Agent. Yours is installed at an angle that it shouldn’t be. It should come into the noodle receiver at close to a 90° angle like in the picture below. No noodle or Travel Agent should come into the brake at an angle like yours does.
I took off the front hardware, have it soaking in solvent. The rear Travel Agent fits better on the left of the post, just like you said. I think I was worried about it getting hung up on that frame bracket, but it's good. It's also easier to tune. Got out for a real nice ride with just the rear brake today. I've got cables and Kool Stops on order and will get those installed after Amazon brings them. Thanks again!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TravelAgent.pdf (214.7 KB, 9 views)
Old 06-11-23, 02:04 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
good choice on the Koolstop pads! and Do Not apply thick grease to the posts.. make sure the Spring and adjuster are free to move related to the brake arms.... i put the v-brake arms onto the posts dry, or maybe some silicone spray... the brass insert in the arm and the steel post are dissimilar metal bushings... Any grease applied will eventually collect dirt, and the grease hardens, making the brakes stick closed when operated.
that old spool piece can be replaced by a much lighter teflon lined part called a "brake noodle".
this one is 90 deg. and used for front V-brakes... and a 135 deg. is used for Rear V-brakes.
https://www.jensonusa.com/Jagwire-90-Degree-Noodle

Last edited by maddog34; 06-11-23 at 02:13 PM.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 06-11-23, 03:32 PM
cyccommute 

I took off the front hardware, have it soaking in solvent. The rear Travel Agent fits better on the left of the post, just like you said. I think I was worried about it getting hung up on that frame bracket, but it's good. It's also easier to tune. Got out for a real nice ride with just the rear brake today. I've got cables and Kool Stops on order and will get those installed after Amazon brings them. Thanks again!
Good. Now make the bike happy by getting rid of the electrical tape. Vintage Cannondale sells the cable guides you need.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-13-23, 03:45 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 385 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34

that old spool piece can be replaced by a much lighter teflon lined part called a "brake noodle".
this one is 90 deg. and used for front V-brakes... and a 135 deg. is used for Rear V-brakes.
https://www.jensonusa.com/Jagwire-90-Degree-Noodle
The “spool piece” (Travel Agent) is necessary for the short pull road levers to work with the linear pull brake. Do not replace it with a regular brake noodle unless using long pull levers.
Old 06-13-23, 01:22 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy314
The “spool piece” (Travel Agent) is necessary for the short pull road levers to work with the linear pull brake. Do not replace it with a regular brake noodle unless using long pull levers.
ahh, so the bike should have canti brakes and the spools are "conversion" patch jobs.... i'd convert back to cantis, if possible.
Old 06-13-23, 09:59 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
This looks like whoever swapped the original cantilevers for v-brakes routed the rear brake cable through the existing cable stop on the frame. Probably because that's how it looked before, so they thought it would look like that afterward.

Which is all wrong, because v-brakes are sidepull cantilever brakes, where traditional cantilever brakes are centerpulls.

You want, indeed, you need that housing to loop of to the left side of the bike and hit the Travel Agent as close to vertical as you can get it. You're looking for a 90 degree angle between the end of the housing and the cable anchor bolt. (You usually can't get that, even with just a noodle, but that's the goal.)

--Shannon

PS: I wonder if whoever did the swap tried to re-use the existing housing loop, which would have been too short with the new brakes?
Old 06-14-23, 04:47 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 385 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
ahh, so the bike should have canti brakes and the spools are "conversion" patch jobs.... i'd convert back to cantis, if possible.
Usually that is the case, but some new bikes, including Cannondale, have been spec’d this way for some reason. Either way they do work well for the purpose.
Old 06-14-23, 07:41 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by ShannonM
This looks like whoever swapped the original cantilevers for v-brakes routed the rear brake cable through the existing cable stop on the frame. Probably because that's how it looked before, so they thought it would look like that afterward.
The green bracket (blue arrow below) is a rack mount. It wasn’t used as an anchor point for a cantilever brake cable. Cannondale has used anchors on the seatpost clamp for cantilever brakes for many years like the one on the white bike below (red arrow). It’s not usual to run the cable housing on the right side of the seatpost even when using cantilevers, however. The routing of the cable and the funky set up may be the result of losing the cable guides on the frame.

Old 06-14-23, 08:22 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
The green bracket (blue arrow below) is a rack mount. It wasn’t used as an anchor point for a cantilever brake cable. Cannondale has used anchors on the seatpost clamp for cantilever brakes for many years like the one on the white bike below (red arrow). It’s not usual to run the cable housing on the right side of the seatpost even when using cantilevers, however. The routing of the cable and the funky set up may be the result of losing the cable guides on the frame.

It's drilled for a barrel adjuster cable stop on my t700: (catalogs show the same)

Hmm it appears my rack struts are on the wrong side

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 06-14-23 at 02:13 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.