Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Recommendations on commuting without showering options

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-12, 06:02 PM
BRed

Bikes: 1981 Schwinn Traveler, Raleigh Super Course,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everyone,
I just got a new job in Scottsdale, AZ and I'm looking to start commuting but my work doesn't offer showers and there doesn't appear to be a gym within a mile or 2 of my office. The commute is approximately 25 miles each direction, and since its AZ I figure I will need to clean off before work. Does anyone have any tips about what works aside from showering that I can use to clean off before work? I thought about baby wiping off my face and pits so I don't look or smell bad and wetting my hair so I can comb it. But before I start I thought I'd ask what works and what doesn't.
Thanks
Old 04-11-12, 06:19 PM
seely
The Rabbi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think you're on the right track. I've also used witch hazel in combination with a cloth or paper towel to wipe down. It's cooling, smells less strongly than alcohol and doesn't dry your skin as much. It actually is supposed to condition your skin.

I keep a microfiber washcloth or two handy as well. They hold a ton of moisture and are easy to rinse out and reuse. A washcloth can almost replace a towel. Keep an extra stick of deodorant at work, and some hair product.
Old 04-11-12, 06:33 PM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Baby wipes, a clean towel, and fresh clothes (down to the socks). Just find a bathroom and get out of your riding clothes. Use the wipes for armpits etc. Use the towel for a general rub down and get into your work clothes. Minty fresh all day. Oh yes, a bag so you can store your riding clothes somewhere convient.
Old 04-11-12, 06:46 PM
cjewett65

Bikes: Too many to list here

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If your going to bring a full change of clothes which is probably the best idea, bring a small towel or washcloth and dampen it with cool water and wipe your sweat off and your pits and other areas you typically sweat a lot. Get to work 5 mins earlier then normal to cool off and stop sweating from the ride before you change into fresh clothes otherwise they will just get sweaty if your body temp isnt cooled down.
Old 04-11-12, 06:56 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry dude, that sucks. Came to this thread cause I'm trying to manage sweat in conditions MUCH cooler than yours. Good luck.
Old 04-11-12, 07:05 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First off, try to keep a change of shirts somewhere on the job along with a wash rag and towel. If you can't manage that, then you're going to have to carry an extra shirt with you everyday. Get to work 15 minutes early everday. Wash up and change shirts. Make certain that you have deodorant with you. You'll need a comb, too.

Don't do anything out of the ordinary, like hang your shirt up to dry somewhere or something. Don't do anything that can be interpreted as unusual. This is a new job and you want to appear as normal as possible...
Old 04-11-12, 08:00 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Give yourself plenty of cool-down time after arriving.

Hopefully you will have somewhere available to hang up your riding clothes to dry. Question: In the dry heat of AZ, how damp will those clothes be?
Old 04-11-12, 08:15 PM
Pippin

Bikes: Cannondale Six13, Noble F4, Ridley Supercross, GT Xizang, GT Edge CX. Fat Tire cruiser bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shower in the morning. Wear clean cycling clothes. Pack your work clothes. I keep shoes at work. Action Wipes are great for cleaning off road grim and sweat and don't make you smell like a baby wipe.
Old 04-11-12, 08:20 PM
hubcap
One Man Fast Brick

Bikes: Specialized Langster, Bianchi San Jose, early 90s GT Karakoram, Yuba Mundo, Mercier Nano (mini velo), Nashbar Steel Commuter, KHS Tandemania Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely shower before you leave for work. It gets off a lot of that bacteria that has accumulated overnight which is the cause of the offensive body odor.

But really - did you try a search for "shower"? This has been covered so many times before and there is a ton of good advice.
Old 04-11-12, 08:25 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hubcap

But really - did you try a search for "shower"? This has been covered so many times before and there is a ton of good advice.
So essentially you're saying people shouldn't start threads on previously covered topics. OK.
Old 04-11-12, 08:28 PM
hubcap
One Man Fast Brick

Bikes: Specialized Langster, Bianchi San Jose, early 90s GT Karakoram, Yuba Mundo, Mercier Nano (mini velo), Nashbar Steel Commuter, KHS Tandemania Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daredevil
So essentially you're saying people shouldn't start threads on previously covered topics. OK.
That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm just pointing out that the OP will get much more info from a search on that particular topic than from posting a single inquiry.
Old 04-12-12, 08:32 AM
MK313

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agree with what has been posted. The best thing you can do is to start clean, take a shower right before leaving or last thing the night before. If you can start clean, all you re doing is getting wet, not smelly on the commute. Then its just an issue of cooling down/ drying off at work. I bring the change of clothes (I wear my work pants if it's cool, but you won't have to deal with cool in AZ) & then wash in the sink at work. I had some Old Spice Sports towels that I seud to use, but they stopped making them-they were amazing). I also use a product caled rocket shower. It works like witch hazel (its probably made from that come to think of it). Anyways, after I wash off, then I spray that on my face right away & by the time i've changed clothes & am ready to work, it has usually stopped most of the sweating & I feel good.
Old 04-12-12, 08:38 AM
agray2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good Luck
Old 04-12-12, 08:41 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by BRed
But before I start I thought I'd ask what works and what doesn't.
25 mile each way commute is difficult to do on a daily basis if that's what you have in mind. Depending on how fast you normally ride, prevailing winds and traffic, that could take 2 hours each way, not counting cool-down and cleanup time. Heat during the ride home can be brutal.

I did the no-shower method for a 7 mile commute, but when it went up to 17 miles I had a shower available to me; I think there is a big difference between the two and I don't know that the baby-wipe method would really be feasible for my longer commute.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Last edited by Doohickie; 04-12-12 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-12-12, 11:56 AM
ckaspar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would do a "cool down" mile or so just to let the body cool down a bit as you cruise to work and maybe you can relieve some of the moisture on the biking clothes so they aren't as damp when you get to the office. Also you won't be standing in the bathroom cooling down or looking like a creeper. lol
Old 04-12-12, 12:47 PM
bud16415

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
In Phoenix his cloths will be as dry as toast when he gets to work as will he be. They will both be covered in salt though. If I was doing a 25 mile ride out there I would plan on 4 bottles of water on the bike both ways in the summer.

Last time I was out there it was February 2011 and the noon temp was 102 we played golf and I put down 9 bottles of water in 18 holes and never was the least bit damp and never went to the bathroom all day. Felt very healthy and nothing like 102 on the east coast. On the other hand without the H2O I would have been sick all afternoon. Staying hydrated out there is something you really have to work at. I would suggest the cool down couple miles and then an outdoor cool down in the dry heat 10 or 15 minutes in shade before hitting the air con. Spruce up as mentioned above and he should be fine. Just get the salt off the skin it’s hard to believe you can sweat out that much water and never get damp but that’s Phoenix AZ.
Old 04-12-12, 01:15 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bud16415
In Phoenix his cloths will be as dry as toast when he gets to work as will he be. They will both be covered in salt though. If I was doing a 25 mile ride out there I would plan on 4 bottles of water on the bike both ways in the summer.

Last time I was out there it was February 2011 and the noon temp was 102 we played golf and I put down 9 bottles of water in 18 holes and never was the least bit damp and never went to the bathroom all day. Felt very healthy and nothing like 102 on the east coast. On the other hand without the H2O I would have been sick all afternoon. Staying hydrated out there is something you really have to work at. I would suggest the cool down couple miles and then an outdoor cool down in the dry heat 10 or 15 minutes in shade before hitting the air con. Spruce up as mentioned above and he should be fine. Just get the salt off the skin it’s hard to believe you can sweat out that much water and never get damp but that’s Phoenix AZ.
I used to commute in both Yuma and Phoenix with no showers...listen to this guy. ^^^
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 04-12-12, 01:21 PM
TaintedRide

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First off whats up man Im down in Chandler. I have some experience with the AZ heat and here is what I used to do when I had a 11 mile commute one way. I would just take a nice easy ride in the morning and the last mile really try and tone it down. Just because it is a dry heat here does not mean you won't get wet. I sweat a lot and the dry heat does help but still its heat!

When i get to work i go straight to the bathroom and run my hands under cold water, that seems to shut off my sweating mechanisms. Then I wipe down with some non scented baby wipes, throw on some deodorant and splash cool water on my face and I'm good to go. I also would bring a clean pair of socks and underwear because those can get pretty wet too. Just get prepared the night before so you are not forgetting anything extra to bring.

Now I have a 37mile commute one way and ride my scooter but some of the same cleaning up tricks work well in the summer.

Good luck man!! I miss my bike commuting
Old 04-12-12, 06:45 PM
BRed

Bikes: 1981 Schwinn Traveler, Raleigh Super Course,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all of the advice. I will start getting things in order and hopefully I'll be able to get going on this within a week or two. I currently am riding my motorcycle, but I was looking for an excuse to start doing a decent amount of riding again. The mileage shouldn't bother me too much, as I have a friend that can give me a ride home in the evening if I stick around till she is off (about an hour after me).

As for the not searching for "shower," not sure why it didn't occur to me; But oh well, right.
Old 04-12-12, 06:58 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

As for the not searching for "shower," not sure why it didn't occur to me; But oh well, right.
Don't concern yourself with that "you should search" comment. It happens all the time.

Having the option of a ride home is really nice. Good luck.
Old 04-12-12, 07:13 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't feel bad. If you had searched (provided the search function was working, which it hasn't been lately) and bumped an older thread, we would get complaints of "Zombie thread resurrection!"

Starting a new thread gives other newer members a chance to give input as well. Don't ever be intimidated about starting a new thread on an old subject.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 04-12-12, 07:22 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CbadRider
Don't feel bad. If you had searched (provided the search function was working, which it hasn't been lately) and bumped an older thread, we would get complaints of "Zombie thread resurrection!"

Starting a new thread gives other newer members a chance to give input as well. Don't ever be intimidated about starting a new thread on an old subject.
+1 while some of us old timers might grouse at the same old questions sometimes, most of us tend to understand that the search functionality of the site is limited...even when it is working.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 04-12-12, 08:17 PM
SweetNightmare

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trolls will always complain, no matter what you do. If we all just used the search function, we'd never talk to each other, and that's the entire point of a forum!
Old 04-13-12, 04:27 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Cooling down on the bike is far more efficient than standing around.
You will have to figure out how far you need to cruise to cooldown but you should be pedalling at a really gentle pace, basically rolling along. Save a waterbottle for the cooldown and splash it over your head, shirt and shorts. You need time on cruise to evaporate and cool you.
You can get twin bottle holders that bolt to the seat rails.
Keep an extra set of clothing at work for the time you forget stuff.
Old 04-13-12, 07:08 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SweetNightmare
Trolls will always complain, no matter what you do. If we all just used the search function, we'd never talk to each other, and that's the entire point of a forum!
what gives you the impression that I want to talk to you? Next you're going to want to take warm showers and sing kumbaya.

Checking the FAQ (which this joint unfortunately doesn't have) first has been a custom in online forums for as long as I can remember. The point of doing so isn't to stifle discussion, it's to help someone find the information they are looking for much faster than starting a thread, waiting for replies and having to sort through all the different responses and try to figure out which are the applicable and/or factual. It also enables a common point of reference if then the person decides to start a thread on the subject.

But considering the crippled search and lack of a FAQ we have here...yeah, it's pretty much just us grouchy old trolls that give you crap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.