Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

The best and lightest urban/commuter/hybrid bike under $1000 - $1500

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-13, 03:28 PM
justaguest

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What do you think would be the best the best and lightest urban/commuter/hybrid bike under $1000 - $1500?

I currently use Trek Allant and like everything about it except for weight.

So, I want a more expensive, lighter bike that would still allow for upright position.

My research led me to

* Specialized Sirrus Comp,
* Cannondale Quick SL
* Trek FX 7.5/7.6
* Motobecane Cafe Century PRO (Black) - this one is a mystery to me. I am concerned about not a widely well-known name, but theser seem to be very light for its price. How is the quality?

Currently, I kind of gravitate to Specialized Sirrus Comp.

The issue I am having is that I would still prefer to use a back rack with foldable basket + fenders + kickstand (I have all these things on Allant and it is VERY comfortable to put a backpack or groceries in a basket, so I’d rather have them on new bike as well). So, the issue is that I’m worried whether I will actually get any significant benefit ion terms of weight if I put all these things on, let’s say, Sirrus Comp.

Also, I don’t know if it really makes any sense? Maybe there are commuter/urban/hybrid bikes that already have all these things installed but with priority being put on weight?
Let’s say, a Trek Allant “version" that is 2-3 times more expensive and uses lighter materials for everything? Is there such a bike?
I took a look at Specialized Globe series (Work, Daily and Roll). They are more expensive then Trek Allant, but they don't really look much lighter. Also, it is unclear what is the difference between Work, Daily and Roll..

And if I proceed with Sirrus Comp what would be your advice for back rack, fenders, portable basket and kickstand if I wanted not increase weight too much?

Thank you very much!

Last edited by justaguest; 12-30-13 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-30-13, 03:55 PM
loimpact

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 3; 2014 Cannondale Quick 4; 2014 Cannondale Crash 4 hi-mod

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If you're open to a lesser spec bike, I think the Giant Escape City might be one you'd want to check out....

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...y/14810/66194/

That aside, I think the Quick Carbons will be out of your price range, but the SL's would certainly be nice & even the SL1 would still be within your range.

Sirrus Comp is a great bike. I rode the Sirrus lineup but to be honest I was probably most impressed with the Sport (the cheapest one of the bunch) as you could have lied to me & told me it had higher end components & I would have believed you. It just did everything really well. As I moved up the lineup, it was just about what I expected. The Sport impressed me for what it was.

FWIW, I just bought a Quick 4 and love it. I'd probably have to skip over the SL line & go to a Quick Carbon to like the lineup any more than I do my 4 but as you will probably hear throughout this thread.......RIDE THEM ALL so you can find a fit that suits YOU!!

FIT > ALL ELSE!!
Old 12-30-13, 04:03 PM
justaguest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for recommendation. Giant Escape seems nice. It's strange though that it's almost at the same price level as Trek Allant. Do you think it will be much lighter?
What would be the approximate weight in pounds/kilos? Are there similar bikes that would cost about $1000-$1500 but would be even lighter/faster while still having all the accessories?

Thank you very much!
Old 12-30-13, 06:12 PM
loimpact

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 3; 2014 Cannondale Quick 4; 2014 Cannondale Crash 4 hi-mod

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't know if anyone does a pre-packaged accessory type bike like the Giant Escape City but I would think it will be significantly lighter than the Allant. (Most mfgrs don't like to give a weight anymore due to the various frame sizes, etc. It keeps them out of trouble when the small frame version weights a pound or two less than the XL version & somebody calls them out about it).

The Escape City is aluminum frame and aluminum fork. If you wanted to go lighter than that, then any carbon frame bike will have to take you there.

My Quick 4, for example, is aluminum frame and carbon forks. It's quite light to me (especially coming from a Walmart mountain bike) but I know that some folks will settle for nothing less than a carbon frame.

If it gets serious enough for you, you might even consider taking a bathroom scale with you to a bike shop & start checking actual #'s to give you hard data. (you might get looked at weird, but who cares.....it's your money)
Old 12-30-13, 07:30 PM
cbr9927

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For 1000-1500 you can get one heck of a hybrid, I would not spend that much on a bike to commute with since with rack and fenders it would ruin the looks of such a nice bike. That Quick SL 1 is really sharp as is the FX 7.6.
Old 12-30-13, 07:43 PM
deerfly

Bikes: 2012 Marin Rock Springs, 2012 Trek 8.3 DS, 2013 Cannondale Quick SL2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife has a Quick 4, I have the quick sl2. My SL2 is easily a couple pounds lighter than the 4 even though my bike is a large while my wife's is a small. I too like the Quick Carbon's but the "cheap"one is a grand more than my SL2, a little too expensive for my blood.

Before buying my Cannondale, I had tried an FX7.5 and a Sirrus Comp. The FX just didn’t feel right to me. There was nothing particularly bad about it but it just didn’t have that “wow” factor. The Sirrus, though it had the better components than the other two, was a little too stretched out for me and my old/badneck.

Last edited by deerfly; 12-30-13 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-30-13, 07:51 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I just don't think that weight is all that significant with a commuter. The quality of the frame and the parts matter. But if you're talking about putting on a rack, baskets, kickstand, and fenders, I'm not sure if it makes sense to spend some serious coin on a "lightweight" commuter. Get something good quality with parts that are don't need a lot of maintenance and which are designed to take a beating.
Old 12-30-13, 07:59 PM
justaguest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deerfly
My wife has a Quick 4, I have the quick sl2. My SL2 is easily a couple pounds lighter than the 4 even though my bike is a large while my wife's is a small. I too like the Quick Carbon's but the "cheap"one is a grand more than my SL2, a little too expensive for my blood.

Before buying my Cannondale, I had tried an FX7.5 and a Sirrus Comp. The FX just didn’t feel right to me. There was nothing particularly bad about it but it just didn’t have that “wow” factor. The Sirrus, though it had the better components than the other two, was a little too stretched out for me and my old/badneck.
What was the issue with neck? Do you mean that Quick is more upright when compared to Sirrus Comp? What felt lighter Quick or Comp?
Thanks a lot!
Old 12-30-13, 08:03 PM
justaguest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, how big do you think the difference is between Quick 5 and 4, 4 and SL 3, SL 3 and SL 2, SL 3 and SL 1? Thanks a lot!
Old 12-30-13, 08:11 PM
deerfly

Bikes: 2012 Marin Rock Springs, 2012 Trek 8.3 DS, 2013 Cannondale Quick SL2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a herniated disk in my neck and can't bend it back, and hold it in that position, for very long. Which is why I never got a drop bar road bike, which is what I starting looking at before I decided it wasn't going to work and switched to a flat bar. The Quick was a little more upright, not like a comfort bike, but just enough to keep me happy. The Quick felt lighter and a little more nimble than the Comp. The comp had a more "road bike" feel to it, but, I would have been happy either way had me neck been cooperative.
Old 12-30-13, 08:37 PM
Duane Behrens

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac (carbon), Specialized Roubaix (carbon, wifey), Raleigh Super Course (my favorite), and 2 Centurion project bikes.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Carbon bikes don't accept things like racks and baskets easily (i.e. you can't drill them for mounting brackets). If I were in your shoes, I'd be taking a serious look at the lightweight, well-built steelies from Surly. Still love my Surly Cross-Check. Good luck.
Old 12-31-13, 04:58 AM
dr1445

Bikes: jamis 2002 komodo, univega aplina uno, miele toscana 300, 1972 puch brigadier, Marin Sausalito

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
the nashbar fb1, under $500 and one reviewer put it at 23 pounds. lots of $'s left over to play with upgrades.
https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product..._#ReviewHeader
Old 12-31-13, 06:45 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
OP,
Not clear to me what you think you're going to gain (on an urban/commuter/shopper) by going 'lighter'. Do you think it will somehow be "faster"? The only good reason I can think of would be if you need to hoik the bike up/down stairs (e.g. into an apartment); or, like me, you just like 'light bikes'.

In any event, at just outside your budget there is now an obvious choice: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...e/14808/66196/

Fenders? Yep. Rack mounts? Yep. Kickstand? I wouldn't (on a carbon frame, or any bike for that matter), but that's just me.
Old 12-31-13, 08:43 AM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I've got a Giant Escape City. It's a great urban/commuter hybrid, but it isn't light. Especially not with my panniers, trunk bag, U-lock, etc. hanging off of it. One could spend a lot of money shaving 5 to 10 lbs off of the total weight, but what would be the purpose? It isn't a racing bike. The effort required to move those 5 or 10 lbs through an urban environment is negligible compared to the total weight of the bike, stuff I'm hauling and my body.

What is your goal?
Old 01-01-14, 03:32 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
We have loads of Colnago and Pinarello hybrids here at reasonable prices. They come under $1500 and allow for racks etc.
https://www.riogrande.co.jp/pinarello...14/treviso.php
Old 01-01-14, 10:04 AM
loimpact

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Those are both nice looking bikes. (I really love the look of the Conalgos! Those are simply gorgeous!) VERY interesting the contrasting frame styles. Pinarello are very curvy on almost every tube while the Conalgos are much more traditional. Would love to test both!

However, neither bike series give details except that both of the brand's hybrids are definitely aluminum frame. (fine, too, but plenty of those available in every brand of bike more readily available.) Actually, the Pinarellos might but I can't read Japanese!

I wish the Conalgo gave more details on the components. I could fill a house with a collection of just those Conalgo paint schemes alone! LOL Purrrrty!
Old 01-01-14, 05:29 PM
justaguest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all, thanks for advice. Couple of questions:

1. Isn't it better to buy a well-known brand usually to be safe? Or are less well-known just as good and use the same parts? I am talking about Motabene and mentioned above Surly, Colnago, Pinarello and Nashbar.
2. Does anyone have an idea how weights and overall quality compare across Sirrus Comp / Cannondale Quick / Giant Escape City / Nashbar FB1 and Surly Cross-check?

Thank you very much!
Old 01-01-14, 05:31 PM
justaguest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
OP,
Not clear to me what you think you're going to gain (on an urban/commuter/shopper) by going 'lighter'. Do you think it will somehow be "faster"? The only good reason I can think of would be if you need to hoik the bike up/down stairs (e.g. into an apartment); or, like me, you just like 'light bikes'.

In any event, at just outside your budget there is now an obvious choice: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...e/14808/66196/

Fenders? Yep. Rack mounts? Yep. Kickstand? I wouldn't (on a carbon frame, or any bike for that matter), but that's just me.
In fact, I am starting to doubt that the weight is all that important myself as well. Although I do ride my bike uphill and I do carry to it to the third floor each time.

BTW, what's wrong with a kickstand? It is certainly not the heaviest element, I suppose. Esp. compared to rack and basket, for example.

Last edited by justaguest; 01-01-14 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-01-14, 05:33 PM
justaguest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by memebag
I've got a Giant Escape City. It's a great urban/commuter hybrid, but it isn't light. Especially not with my panniers, trunk bag, U-lock, etc. hanging off of it. One could spend a lot of money shaving 5 to 10 lbs off of the total weight, but what would be the purpose? It isn't a racing bike. The effort required to move those 5 or 10 lbs through an urban environment is negligible compared to the total weight of the bike, stuff I'm hauling and my body.
What is your goal?
In fact, I am starting to doubt that the weight is all that important myself as well. Although I do ride my bike uphill and I do carry to it to the third floor each time.

However, I would love to use lighter basket, fenders and rack as well.
Old 01-01-14, 06:34 PM
cbr9927

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went from a Specialized Crosstrail at 31 pds and after I tried something else at 24 pds quickly refunded the Crosstrail. I know each person has different fitness levels and to me losing 7 pds on a bike is going from a Anchor to something I can move up a hill.
Old 01-01-14, 06:40 PM
justaguest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am also curious of what you think about Meida Carpe and Merida Speeder hybrids. Thanks a lot!
Old 01-02-14, 12:44 AM
justaguest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, really curious about Scott Sub Evo 10
https://www.scott-sports.com/global/e...-sub-evo-10-m/
Old 01-02-14, 03:51 PM
e0richt

Bikes: Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by justaguest
BTW, what's wrong with a kickstand? It is certainly not the heaviest element, I suppose. Esp. compared to rack and basket, for example.
some people feel that a kickstand is useless as it add weight, it can damage a frame (if you are not very careful) and it really doesn't do what its supposed to do (keep the bike upright)...
Old 01-02-14, 04:20 PM
treadtread

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ride as many as you can, depending on what your local bike shops stock. If you're still confused, then compare parts etc. When I test rode bikes, the Cannondale Quick was a clear no-no - I felt too cramped. The Trek dealer was far too patronizing, so I didn't buy a Trek - I didn't look forward to visiting his shop if I needed repairs. And between the Giant Escape and the Specialized Sirrus - a half hour test ride on each tilted the balance clearly towards the Sirrus, so I got a Sirrus I don't know if this has been suggested before, but add a Specialized Sirrus Elite to your list of bikes to be tested.
Old 01-02-14, 04:59 PM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by e0richt
some people feel that a kickstand is useless as it add weight, it can damage a frame (if you are not very careful) and it really doesn't do what its supposed to do (keep the bike upright)...
How can it damage a frame?

I've got a kickstand on my Giant and I love it. At stops on group rides I've seen people struggling to find someplace to lean their road bikes. I just leave mine wherever I want.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.