Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Aussie Thread- Part 4

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The Aussie Thread- Part 4

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-06, 04:59 PM
was_bmxer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank god everyone is talking about taking the piss again. That political stuff makes me shy away everytime. Can we go back to beer for a bit, can't ride you know.

Anyone else upset that TUBORG is now made under license here in Aust now? It really makes you up the ante when shopping for imported beer now. Have to drive to redfern to a liquor warehouse to hunt down something to impress the jonses.
Old 04-06-06, 05:22 PM
Wilchemy

Bikes: Wilier, Alchemy, Merida MTB,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey ed073, yo be getting the bling bling ready so you can kick it wid your homies at the Snoop Dogg show tonite?
Old 04-06-06, 05:34 PM
Thylacine
Industry Maven

Bikes: Thylacines...only Thylacines.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
US State Department - "Oh, the Indos have invaded Australia? What have we got there? Just one satelite tracking station? Meh, it will be cheaper to rent off the Indos anyway. What else? You mean that's it?? No oil?!? F*ck 'em!"

I know Patty, I've seen those SUVs. Could you see that happeneing here? I mean, I've seen Pro Hart paint a HiLux, but....

Imagine a Hummer with little Johnny's face on it, with kangaroos, soldiers saluting the flag. For the rest of your life people you meet on the street would point and laugh at you. Such different realities.
Old 04-06-06, 05:40 PM
mrkott3r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by was_bmxer
Can we go back to beer for a bit, can't ride you know.

mmm beer. big uni night lined up tonight
What type of imported beer do you buy bmxer.
Old 04-06-06, 08:11 PM
Brian

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Thylacine
US State Department - "Oh, the Indos have invaded Australia? What have we got there? Just one satelite tracking station? Meh, it will be cheaper to rent off the Indos anyway. What else? You mean that's it?? No oil?!? Fark 'em!"
Kinda like W going after Iraq post 9/11? He could have sent more troops to Afghanistan, but hey, there's no oil there!
Old 04-06-06, 08:16 PM
was_bmxer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrkott3r
mmm beer. big uni night lined up tonight
What type of imported beer do you buy bmxer.
sites been weird again, or is it just me?

I don't buy much beer to be honest. After kids b-days, christening's, x-mas. I usually have around 40-50 beers in the garage fridge. I drink maybe one a week, so it never runs out.

I fell for tuborg's in Coratia, they were about $1au a bottle.
Old 04-06-06, 09:30 PM
Thylacine
Industry Maven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, I gave up getting in. Upgrading to multiple servers or some such, but seems to be working now.

Royale just told me I got 275 unique hits on the website yesterday. Apparently some Frenchies discovered the Arete Ti. How cool is that! Thylacine....big in France.
Old 04-06-06, 09:53 PM
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by was_bmxer
sites been weird again, or is it just me?.
still kernackered for me: I can only get in half the time, and I've gotta keep logging in when I open a new page
Old 04-06-06, 09:59 PM
climbo

Bikes: a few

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it's still ****ed !!
Old 04-06-06, 10:09 PM
531Aussie

funny....I occasionally read of donating forum members complaining about all the non-paying members, saying stuff like, "what do they expect? They're all freeloaders!" What happens if all the non-paying members leave? There's no forum!! Is that what they want?
Old 04-06-06, 10:14 PM
Brian

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 531Aussie
funny....I occasionally read of donating forum members complaining about all the non-paying members, saying stuff like, "what do they expect? They're all freeloaders!" What happens if all the non-paying members leave? There's no forum!! Is that what they want?
Yeah, but the non-paying members have to see the ads. And if they click on any of them, they're making an indirect donation. I think members attract ad revenue, even the freeloaders. Which explains the pending overhaul of my site...
Old 04-06-06, 10:16 PM
531Aussie

what's the apparent objection to more advertising?

Is it a philosophy?
Old 04-06-06, 10:20 PM
Brian

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
No objection. What did I miss?
Old 04-06-06, 10:50 PM
531Aussie

Originally Posted by Expatriate
No objection. What did I miss?
ages ago, I read of Joe Gardner saying stuff like: "if the server bill continues to increase, I might actually have to accomodate advertisements" ...as if it were a last resort. I've read similar comments over the last couple of years by Joe and other moderators, such as, "if we don't have more donating members, we might have to get more ads".

Get more ads, I say!!

Cycling News has heaps of ads, but I barely notice them until this topic comes up
Old 04-06-06, 10:51 PM
Wilchemy

Bikes: Wilier, Alchemy, Merida MTB,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The ads don't really bother me. And sometimes it's interesting to see what trigger words have been picked up from a thread that provide the theme to the ads.
Old 04-06-06, 11:35 PM
mrkott3r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got passed by one of those electric pedal assist scooter for deros today. How embarrasing
My only excuse is that Ive still recovering from the flu and its a mighty good westerly out there today (i was riding against it).
Lucky I passed it again, right guys?
Old 04-06-06, 11:38 PM
mrkott3r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling News has heaps of ads, but I barely notice them until this topic comes up
As long as its google ad sense I couldnt give a stuff. I would even bang it a few times a day to help Gardiner out. But if its big arse banner ads like on cycling news I would get a pissy and get adblock working for me.
Old 04-07-06, 12:53 AM
ast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thylacine
Can you imagine scooting down beach road on a bike with the aussie flag on it or the motto of the SAS enblazened accross the top tube? Imagine how many people would laugh at you.

Hey that's not such a bad idea............

Wide a$$ Carbon monocoque frame, aussie flag paint job motif.........
Old 04-07-06, 01:00 AM
Thylacine
Industry Maven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling news causes me to spasm involuntarily. I have to close one eye, and quickly press the link to the latest tech news article.

Speaking of which, new XTR, and dare I say it, a pretty cool Trek from Sea Otter on there at the moment.

Geez, did I just say 'pretty cool Trek'? Heh.
Old 04-07-06, 01:15 AM
crank'n
to young to be a senior

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got passed by one of those electric pedal assist scooter for deros today. How embarrasing
My only excuse is that Ive still recovering from the flu and its a mighty good westerly out there today (i was riding against it).
Lucky I passed it again, right guys?
If you say so. do you normly see the scooter on your travels or a one off.
Old 04-07-06, 01:20 AM
crank'n
to young to be a senior

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the way im thinking is, what if the advertising is enough to fully fund the forum, no paying members needed?I can hear the groans from the allready paid members from here
Old 04-07-06, 01:34 AM
mrkott3r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crank'n
If you say so. do you normly see the scooter on your travels or a one off.
one off, it basically just buzzed me as I finished climbing this so called "hill" Still pretty stuffed when it comes to cycling due to flu
Old 04-07-06, 02:11 AM
berny
sundy hopeful

Bikes: Connondale MTB, Malvern Star (historic) Orbea, GT (newest)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
one off, it basically just buzzed me as I finished climbing this so called "hill" Still pretty stuffed when it comes to cycling due to flu
I feel your pain Kotter. I've had it a week ana 1/2 and I'm struggling. I'll sail tomorra but no bike racing sundy. Actually I just read an article which strongly recomends ppl refrain from exercising during bouts of the flu. Aparently; "The culprit is SBE (subacute bacterial endocarditis), a nasty condition where infection originating elsewhere in the body attacks the cells lining the inside of the heart and if untreated can prove fatal within six weeks.
Exercising whilst infection is present drives the infection into the heart and accelerates the eroding of the lining and the destruction of the valves. Even if you survive the attack the damage can be permanent, leading to a greater likelihood of SBE the next time you’re infected. Not good." (extract from WVCC 'Tempo')
Old 04-07-06, 06:33 PM
531Aussie

true, but I think it's the other one; the viral one: myocarditis, coz the flu is a virus. I think this one is sometimes worse coz it's harder to treat. One of the more common casues of endocarditis is oral infections, especially for people with heart defects, even minor, such as murmurs

Last edited by 531Aussie; 04-07-06 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-08-06, 04:24 AM
Odin
Thor's dad

Bikes: 2006 Trek 5200, Avanti Corsa Pro, Giant Yukon, Ricardo Cro-Mo, 1992 Mongoose pro-comp, 1980 DiamondBack senior pro, 1980 Quicksilver... half a dozen other BMX bikes in various stages of completion.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
EVCC Club Championships today!
They're done fer age groups and of course lots of the A graders are in my age group. They don't get a big turnout cos people don't want to pay fer an arsekicking.
So I roll up at the line with 5 others, one is the club 'gun' (great), look around... 4 A graders, 1 B grade and me.
I told em of my plan to clip in and bolt, so's I could at least lead fer a couple of corners

It was a real learning experience riding with them... they kept such a smooth, tight bunch and just kept rolling through without any signals etc, just a bit of chit-chat. I was hanging onto the back and after their pulls, they all slotted back in just in front of me letting me sit on a bit easier.
The pace was bloody fast fer me, but I managed to hang on fer half an hour... 'till an attack came into the headwind. They pulled 50 metres in one lap
The B grader blew up and sat out a couple of laps before taking pity on me grinding away into the wind on my own, and gave me a wheel to sit on and recover a bit. (I was cramping really badly in the left calf)
We picked the pace up together and it wasn't long before we caught up to one of the A graders that'd blown up.
The 2 off the front lapped the three of us. I managed to stay with the A and B 'till the end... B grader actually gave me a pat on the back just before the line and backed orf letting me take 4th. Top bloke.

It hurt like hell, but schitt it was worth it.
I'd love to ride with those blokes again....

Also spoke to the handicapper and he said stay in D fer next week, then off to C grade. Yayy!!
A few D graders saw me sitting on with the A graders (we actually lapped the blokes I usually race with...twice) and now they want me straight in B

Last edited by Odin; 04-08-06 at 05:22 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.