Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chain Falling Off...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Chain Falling Off...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-23, 03:08 PM
ArgoMan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 24 Posts
Chain Falling Off...

Hi all. Went for a ride with my son this morning. We hit a hill (more like an exaggerated grade) and his chain came off the large chainring (2x10, Tiagra). It's a new set up and the groupo was installed by my LBS. We re-attached the chain and then it happened again on the next ascent! What are some of the common issues that may be causing this? Thank you!
Old 12-21-23, 03:39 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6252 Post(s)
Liked 4,853 Times in 3,345 Posts
Trying to shift was my thought too. Especially if he is waiting till his cadence is already too low. And also the possibility that shifts aren't getting completed before pedaling is stopped for what ever reason, be it stopping pedaling and coasting briefly for clearance to traffic ahead or stopping just because pedaling became too hard because going to the next easier gear was too late a decision.
Old 12-21-23, 03:40 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5023 Post(s)
Liked 8,213 Times in 3,883 Posts
Also look for damaged/twisted teeth on the chainring, as well as damaged/twisted chain links.
Old 12-21-23, 04:14 PM
ArgoMan

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 24 Posts
Thanks, to be honest he was riding an old school bike with the the old 80's Suntour-type shift levers that didn't click when you switched gears. The new Tiagra setup is totally new to him. He also has some real difficulty thinking simple things through. So maybe he's just not shifting correctly, if that's somehow possible. I really don't know what "cross chained" means. The chain itself is brand spanking new.
Old 12-21-23, 04:31 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4756 Post(s)
Liked 1,537 Times in 1,006 Posts
Is the chain falling off to the outside or inside of the big chainring?
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 12-21-23, 04:48 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5023 Post(s)
Liked 8,213 Times in 3,883 Posts
Originally Posted by ArgoMan
I really don't know what "cross chained" means.
Cross-chained is...
1. Being in the small cog at the rear and the small chainring in the front.
2. Being in the large cog at the rear and the large chainring in the front.

It is generally good practice to avoid both of these conditions. Although bike chains have some tolerance for lateral flexibility, it's pretty limited, and everything works best in a straighter line between chainring and cog. These scenarios put the chain at the most extreme angles, and it can cause issues. Because chains, chainrings, and cogs are designed for shifting from lateral pressure by a derailleur, big-big or small-small can cause an unwanted shift just from the lateral pressure caused by the angled chain line. It might also be at the limits of the rear derailleur's capacity, which is also not recommended.
Old 12-21-23, 10:35 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 5,730 Times in 2,953 Posts
If the chain is being thrown off the outside of the big ring, your derailleur needs to be adjusted. This is a DIY. Watch this: https://www.parktool.com/en-us/blog/...eur-adjustment

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-21-23, 10:49 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 4474 Post(s)
Liked 1,613 Times in 1,060 Posts
You should ride it to see if you can duplicate the problem, then take it back to the shop that assembled it.
Old 12-21-23, 11:34 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4835 Post(s)
Liked 3,966 Times in 2,577 Posts
Tell us all you can about the shifts where the chain falls off. What gear were you starting in? Where did the chain go? Off the outside or between the chainrings? The more we know, the better we can help. (Maybe you need to take the bike out and see if you can duplicate the events.) Any bike shop will love the same information. What happens on the road cannot always be duplicated on a stand.
Old 12-30-23, 03:06 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 618 Posts
I would think he was shifting to the smaller front chainring to go up the hill, and it overshifted onto the frame bottom bracket. Correct ?
It may just need a simple adjustment of the 'L' screw to prevent the front derailleur from moving inboard quite as much.
Originally Posted by ArgoMan
We hit a hill (more like an exaggerated grade) and his chain came off the large chainring (2x10, Tiagra).

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 01-02-24, 01:12 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 442 Posts
Where? Between the small chainring and the frame or between the bigger chainring and the crank arm?

If it's dropping between the frame and the small chainring when you change gear from the big to the small ring to climb a hill, it's most likely your low limit screw that isn't properly adjusted (your chain gets thrown too far inward). Bring it back to your LBS that installed it; they will adjust it free of charge.

Last edited by eduskator; 01-02-24 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-02-24, 09:36 PM
Rolling15
Ontheroad

Bikes: Felt Z2

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I had the same problem on a new bike that was assembled by my LBS. Changing gears under tension would sometimes cause the chain to come off. After trying various adjustments to no avail, the head mechanic took a look and removed a link from the chain. It seems that when they assembled the bike, they allowed for too many links between the chain ring and the rear cluster. It worked like a charm. I've never had the chain fall off since.
Old 01-04-24, 09:07 AM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolling15
I had the same problem on a new bike that was assembled by my LBS. Changing gears under tension would sometimes cause the chain to come off. After trying various adjustments to no avail, the head mechanic took a look and removed a link from the chain. It seems that when they assembled the bike, they allowed for too many links between the chain ring and the rear cluster. It worked like a charm. I've never had the chain fall off since.
I am having the same issue with my Bianchi 1885.
Chain doesn't fall off during a ride. When rolling in reverse to store or such as this. I believe it may be too loose a chain.