Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Gary Fisher vs. Trek

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Gary Fisher vs. Trek

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-10, 08:41 PM
rmills944

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gary Fisher vs. Trek

I'm just wondering and I know this really doesn't matter, but here goes. I noticed when going through the catalogs that the Tarpon comes in a few schemes and one is the Trek one which I bought. This only is badged as a Trek with the Gary Fisher Signature.

https://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en/bikes...dtails/tarpon/

The other is the Gary Fisher paint scheme:
https://fisherbikes.com/bike/model/tarpon

I just thought it was odd to have 2 versions of the same thing selling with just paint differences... I'm guessing maybe a marketing thing?
Old 10-29-10, 08:44 PM
rmills944

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IT looks like it has to do with this: https://www.bicycling.com/mountainbik...bs-gary-fisher but I still think it's really strange just to paint it different
Old 10-30-10, 12:39 AM
Southpaws

Bikes: 2004 Fisher HKEK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, Trek "absorbed" Gary Fisher and killed off most of the 26" hardtails, sadly. You got one of the four they still make.

Looks like the same bike with a different paint job and a couple of minor changes. The "Trek" Gary Fisher bike you bought is (I believe) the 2011 year model, though it's hard to tell since Trek doesn't list the "current year models". The "Gary Fisher" bike is from 2010.

Either way it's still a Fisher bike. Enjoy your ride.
Old 10-30-10, 06:24 AM
BurnNotice
WNCrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek took over GF so there is the nexus. I liked GF bikes before they were absorbed. They had a nice relaxed geometry for trail riding. Like anything in the bike market..........it is fluid and changes so readily. Someday maybe GF will be back on their own.
Old 10-30-10, 09:56 AM
skiahh

Bikes: 08 Stumpjumper FSR Expert, 02 Litespeed Tuscany, 04 Specialized S-Works Epic

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GF through 2010... Trek from 2011 and beyond.
Old 10-30-10, 10:24 AM
Southpaws

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BurnNotice
Trek took over GF so there is the nexus. I liked GF bikes before they were absorbed. They had a nice relaxed geometry for trail riding. Like anything in the bike market..........it is fluid and changes so readily. Someday maybe GF will be back on their own.
The geometry hasn't changed on Fisher bikes: It's still "G2" geometry which is a Fisher thing that all Fisher fans know and love. I have no doubt that the manufacturing process hasn't changed a bit, only the way they are marketed and sold.

The "Gary Fisher Signature" bikes will probably never again be only GF. Making them "Trek" bikes with GF's name on them has allowed every Trek dealer to suddenly carry GF 29" and other bikes, and that's more sales for LSB's and Trek itself.
Old 10-31-10, 08:01 PM
mtb_man_14
Road, XC and Cross

Bikes: Motobecane Outcast 29er, Motobecane Fantom Comp, Motobecane Fantom CX and Fuji 2.0 acr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
im gonna look like an idioit for asking this but here goes... I thought gray fisher and trek were tied in for a long time. Every time I saw a fisher it had bontrager parts on it which is trek. Im not seeing how trek "absorbed" gf.
Old 10-31-10, 11:23 PM
Southpaws

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_man_14
im gonna look like an idioit for asking this but here goes... I thought gray fisher and trek were tied in for a long time. Every time I saw a fisher it had bontrager parts on it which is trek. Im not seeing how trek "absorbed" gf.
Trek has owned GF since 1993, but GF was still run as a separate company that could use Trek resources.

Gary Fisher as a company no longer exists for bikes beyond 2010. The 2011 GF bikes are all now labeled and sold as Trek bikes, but with Gary's signature on them.

But if you look closely, the 2010 and 2011 models are almost identical on frame and parts spec, which is a good thing. They're still GF bikes at heart.
Old 11-01-10, 04:14 PM
mtb_man_14
Road, XC and Cross

Bikes: Motobecane Outcast 29er, Motobecane Fantom Comp, Motobecane Fantom CX and Fuji 2.0 acr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh. I get it now.
Old 11-07-10, 04:06 PM
rufus

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Southpaws
But if you look closely, the 2010 and 2011 models are almost identical on frame and parts spec, which is a good thing. They're still GF bikes at heart.
for now.
Old 11-07-10, 06:36 PM
Svr

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Southpaws
Trek has owned GF since 1993, but GF was still run as a separate brand that was completely controlled by Trek resources.
Fixed that for you. Trek always had 100% control. Dealers that sold the Gary Fisher brand paid for their inventory with checks made out to the Trek Bicycle Corporation.

Trek and Gary Fisher are no different than Chevy trucks and GMC trucks.

Last edited by Svr; 11-07-10 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-07-10, 08:36 PM
Southpaws

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Svr
Fixed that for you. Trek always had 100% control. Dealers that sold the Gary Fisher brand paid for their inventory with checks made out to the Trek Bicycle Corporation.

Trek and Gary Fisher are no different than Chevy trucks and GMC trucks.
Potato/Potahto. I'm only concerned that actual GF-innovated bikes won't exist two years from now.