Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Frequenting a forum - like 50+ forum - over an extended time - do you? Why or not?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Frequenting a forum - like 50+ forum - over an extended time - do you? Why or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-11, 06:44 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Well, hope to be a "long timer" but ya just never know what will happen in life. We live on very little money, don't own a car, etc. If my old "doorstop" of a computer bites the dust, I can't afford a new one so I'll just "poof" out of cyberspace! I really like the 50+ crew, lol, many of you seem so serious and dedicated to training, distance riding, etc., which my wife and I aren't really interested in, we just ride, transportation and just for FUN! The 50+ group seems to have more FUN, than most of the other topic area's, jmho, ymmv.

Old 03-06-11, 09:59 PM
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I found the BF from another forum and grew weary of the other forum from the bad language and innuendos. Things are more mature here, and I like the lack of adolescent 18 year old bantering. As for “mean spirited, inflammatory…bad ass” gosh, I just don’t see that either. I remember thinking how civilized everyone was here.
Old 03-07-11, 12:43 AM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
(Big Paulie...where are you man?).
He sent me an email on "talk Like a pirate day". He's alive and kicking, and I miss him too!

I think there's 3 elements to a forum, particularly this one.

We come here to talk about bicycles. The mechanics of riding and the bike itself.

We come here to share our bicycling experience and to motivate ourselves and others to fully experience the sport, no matter how we define it. I don't think this forum is competitive, but others are.

We get to know each other, and it's really funny at times. Politics and off topic stuff comes up a lot. Silliness can take over.

There tends to be some conflict between the three areas. Since we all have reasons to be here, a forum can go from irritating to satisfying to boring depending on what's going on.

I know for myself, when I'm learning something, I read every post. But after my 50th read on bike fitting, I tend to fade out a bit. I think the worse boards for this are the violin boards... they are constantly bombarded with people who think they have a real stradivarius and have to explain again and again and again why they don't.

Last edited by solveg; 03-07-11 at 12:51 AM.
Old 03-07-11, 05:09 AM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I joined about 5.5 years ago when I first got back into biking. I was quite active for the first 3-4 years, but a lot less lately. For one thing, I don't cycle as much as I used to. Why not? I dunno; time has a way of making things fade I guess.

I used to thoroughly enjoy both the information I was learning (and I didn't know squat when I started), AND the (what I thought was a lot of) good humor that seemed to abound back in those days. If you can remember the Diegos, you know what I'm referring to...

These days, I don't post much, I don't know a lot of the new "regulars," and most of the topics have come up so many times I can almost predict the answers. But I still do visit the forum frequently, and scan quickly for threads that might interest me. When I find them, I sometimes even come out of lurk mode and make a comment.

Like this one, for instance.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 03-14-11, 07:18 AM
JerriAnn44

Bikes: ROVER TRIKE BIKE

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I check this forum almost every day. It is fun to read what empty nesters are doing in their spare time. And I like all
the advice about what gadgets to use while riding your bike. Plus what bikes you all bought through out the years.
And love to ride about your travels.
Old 03-14-11, 07:58 AM
az_cyclist

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I visit the forum several days a week (less often if I am traveling for business). I like BF, and SoCal, and the Bicycling forums. The 50+ forum here is fun, and civil. I have been fortunate to ride with one other member here, and hope to meet/ride with others in the future.
Old 03-14-11, 08:25 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Well, lately the threads have been INTERESTING. So, I have been checking in..
Old 03-14-11, 08:31 AM
Baftap
Riding my bike

Bikes: Giant TCR C2 / Giant Defy / Bianchi "beater"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Floyd
Another hit and miss sometimes poster... I like to read what is on here but do not often feel a 'need' to post something. I am not outgoing but do enjoy the crowd when I am around one...and this is a great crowd. I pay no attention to the not so nice stuff and enjoy the comraaderie...............peace
Pretty much my sentiments too. I guess I'm a "hanger-on" because checking this forum has become part of my daily routine, like checking email, and I skim it quickly a couple of times a day. If there's a post with a title that catches my attention, I'll stop in and look. BF is the only forum where I do this regularly and my routine is to scan 50+, Road, Long Distance, the Northeast & NorCal regional threads, and (usually) Foo.

Bare Feet - you have the right attitude, we should all smile more!
Old 03-14-11, 10:38 AM
NoRacer
Isaias

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I chime in when there's something I'm interested in from the BFN 50+ forum in my Google Reader RSS subscription, but usually I hang out in the:

...thread.

Also, I like the 50+ jersey and wind vest!

Last edited by NoRacer; 03-14-11 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-14-11, 11:49 AM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I tend to go be an all-or-nothing sort of guy. We'll see how long I stay BF addicted. BF has really helped me up the cycling learning curve, and the 50+ forum (and in particular our racing thread) hits the sweet spot for me. The commuter forum became repetitive quickly, and the road forum is too time consuming. There is good stuff there, but way too much chaff to sift through. I'm enjoying sharing experiences with the people here.
Old 03-14-11, 12:38 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found BF when we returned to cycling and bought our bikes; that was 4 years ago this week. Barely 50 at the time, I quickly found the 50+ forum and that's pretty much where I stayed. I occasionally go to some of the other forums, but this one is my BF home. This is where I learned: My first bike (the hybrid) was too big for me, the importance of a good bike fit, one is never too old to start riding a bike, Sidi shoes are DA BOMB (thanks Stapfam - you warned me not to look!), how to learn to ride clipless, hills take practice.... and so much more. I met some of the wonderful folks in Glenwood Springs CO --- an event I couldn't have imagined a few years earlier. I got the 50+ jersey and vest.

One day about a year ago, I came very close to posting a sarcastic reply to an irksome statement and decided it was time to take a little break. I peeked now and then to see what's up, and eventually came back. I don't post as often but I enjoy reading most of the threads. I continue to be inspired and entertained by this group of cyclists of all skills and ages.
Old 03-14-11, 01:51 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I pop in and read the 50+ forum everytime I signed into BF but I don't always post. This is a good group with lots of knowledgeable people and I don't usually have anything meaningful to add. I hang also in Clydes, and both that and this is my safe haven... where I come to just hang and be friendly. Sometimes I hang and just lurk sometimes I add. I realize I should be more like that in the forum I am more active (P & R) as keeping one's mouth shut usually keeps one out of trouble...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 03-14-11, 01:56 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by missjean
[FONT=Arial] As for “mean spirited, inflammatory…bad ass” gosh, I just don’t see that either. I remember thinking how civilized everyone was when I first stumbled upon this forum a few years back.
To anyone who ever thinks this forum is mean spirited or nasty come visit P & R or A & S... puts thing in prespective for you... only group on the entire Board nicer than this one is Clydes and Athenas but its close.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 03-14-11, 03:19 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Like Dnvr I've been here since 2001. I check in here every day. Sometimes several times a day.
Lots of good people here. Some stay some leave.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 03-14-11, 06:34 PM
HiYoSilver
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't know how to categorize participation. It's checking at least once a month and sometimes, daily.

Why?
-- OT posts are not made fun of
-- group has more real life expenience
-- look to hear tidbits on known names

The strangest thing I have noticed is that I am not as interested in forums since new bike, but still like checking in here from time to time. Not as prolific in postings as I more and more only post when I have something to say.
Old 03-15-11, 09:52 AM
xizangstan

Location: Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama

Bikes: Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the 50+ because you old goats talk about a number of interesting subjects - to the chagrin of some members here.

For technical advice, there are the other discussion threads, like mechanics, touring, commuting and general.

But I'm most comfortable with fellow old geezers (and geezer-ettes). I'm 64.

Old 03-15-11, 10:02 AM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In and out because of more interests than hours.
Old 03-15-11, 10:47 AM
tom cotter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a hanger. As one can see from my length of membership vs number of posts, I don't post often. Still, I find a few of the threads on BF generally informative. 50+ is one of those threads, as is the LD Forum and touring forum.

My take is that people come and go according to interest. A new found interest in bicycling leads them here. Their interest fades or they get their questions answered and off they go.

In one case i wanted to hook up and ride with a guy from my area, but he never responded to my PMs. I also noted his absence from the forum. I searched the threads for some of his past posts and found that he had heart problems. he never posted again, so i can only assume the worst.

Sometimes when long time posters leave, for whatever reason, it's like losing a friend. You didn't know them, couldn't tell them from Adam on the street, but they lightened up the place. There are a few of those types of characters here on 50+.

Last edited by tom cotter; 03-15-11 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-23-11, 06:18 PM
Kazzy

Bikes: Trek Navigator 200

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My interest in participating on BF waxes and wanes, but my interest in cycling seems to be a permanent change for the better for me. I was glad last year when I got old enough to hang out in the >50 forum but then there was a lot of family stuff going on in my life that kept me off the net so much. Fortunately, things seem to be settling down again. I also sometimes check in on the Clydes/Athenas forum here but I get tired of focusing on the weight loss battle constantly so I don't post there much.

btw, I'm married to an engineer/ham and he has been encouraging me to get my ham license and I've just started studying for that. I want to be ready for field day this year.
Old 03-23-11, 06:49 PM
oldster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kazzy
My interest in participating on BF waxes and wanes, but my interest in cycling seems to be a permanent change for the better for me. I was glad last year when I got old enough to hang out in the >50 forum but then there was a lot of family stuff going on in my life that kept me off the net so much. Fortunately, things seem to be settling down again. I also sometimes check in on the Clydes/Athenas forum here but I get tired of focusing on the weight loss battle constantly so I don't post there much.

btw, I'm married to an engineer/ham and he has been encouraging me to get my ham license and I've just started studying for that. I want to be ready for field day this year.
Field day is one of the true great activities..., and since you don't have to pass the CW test any more go for it,Always good to hear YL's on the air..then you can work on bicycle mobile...(on my to try list)
Bud (licensed going on 43 years.. and a W0.)
Old 03-23-11, 06:54 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Late to the party - came to BF in 2006 a few months before I discovered recumbents but long after I started cycling as an adult (Ha!) in 1973. Can't remember when I started hanging out here - probably right away as I was 50+ Qualified. I've embraced cycling anew in the last few years and this is a good place to share that.
Interesting bunch here with common cycling and life experiences.
One criticism: Not enough danged swearing.
Old 03-23-11, 07:35 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Not enough danged swearing.
WhAT YOU &^*%*&*&&^&%^$%#%$#% MEAN, YOU %^&^%&^%^$#%#^ )(**&^%!
Old 03-24-11, 01:08 AM
Ranger Dan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My interest in the forum(s) tends to wax and wane, although my interest in bicycling has remained relatively strong over the years. I tend to leave for a few weeks to months after seeing too many negative or authoritarian comments. I think I tend to come back because I dont have anyone to discuss biking with here locally (I only met 3 cyclists on the road last year, and one of them was no more than 10 or 11 years old). Either that, or I'm just a slow learner.
Old 03-24-11, 01:58 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Since I have found this forum, it is one of many that I usually come by most every day. It is interesting, and as one said good entertainment. Years ago someone said TV was a vast wasteland, but now I find it a cesspool.
Old 03-24-11, 04:29 PM
zoste
VoodooChile

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very VERY sporadic in lurking and posting

Originally Posted by '47
...There were fewer posters then and perhaps a little closer sense of community...
Although this is definitely more civil than most forums, I never got a sense that I was part of a community in 50+...like I never became one of the cool kids...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.