Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Warranties honored by other than the selling LBS?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-11, 03:47 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Kinda have a tricky one here- If I were to buy a certain make/model from one LBS, can I reasonably expect that another LBS that also sells that brand to honor any warranty work?

Found a bike perusing the various manufacturing brands websites- focusing primarily on the brands that are represented locally to me. Actually found the model (not year, but not much changed between '10 & '11). It's way too small (it's a 51 and I need a 55-57, depending).

The thing is, Sun and Ski is the local Masi dealer. I inquired if they would be getting any '11s in the model I'm interested in. I was (mis?)informed that they have no control over model selection- some corporate buying rep buys what the chain thinks it can move, and that's it. The particular model I'm interested in is not currently on there website, which I take to mean that they won't be stocking it.

The next closest Masi dealer is roughly 115 miles away. That's a little too far to be returning for any follow up adjustments, tune-ups, or repair work...
Old 04-02-11, 04:09 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Follow up adjustments, tune-ups, of repair work.

Unless it's something that Masi is willing to pay the dealer to do, you should expect to pay a dealer who made nothing off the sale of the bike.
Old 04-02-11, 04:18 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Okay, lemme rephrase my question- Could or would LBS 'A' that is an authorized retailer for a given brand (Masi in my case) perform any work that falls under the language of "warranty repair", if the bike wasn't originally purchased from LBS 'A'?

Last edited by no1mad; 04-02-11 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-02-11, 05:01 PM
009jim

Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Firstly lets make a distinction between the "dealer" and the "manufacturer". Now if your warranty claim related to a fault by the "manufacturer", then your claim is from the manufacturer and you should commonly be able to take it to any dealer and the dealer will file the claim with the manufacturer. However, if the warranty claim was for faulty assembly which was done by the dealer, then the manufacturer is not at fault so you would need to take it to the dealer you bought it from.

Let me just add further that IMHO warranties are not worth a penny, except if its a really serious fault. I always buy my bikes, cars etc. on the basis that the warranty does not exist. The reason being that having made probably 2-3 warranty claims in my life, and none of them has been particularly satisfying.
Old 04-02-11, 06:08 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
For shins and grins, let's just say it's a major problem- like frame failure within the first year. Any shop that sells that brand should be willing to assist in the repair/replacement from the manufacturer, correct?
Old 04-02-11, 06:55 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
For shins and grins, let's just say it's a major problem- like frame failure within the first year. Any shop that sells that brand should be willing to assist in the repair/replacement from the manufacturer, correct?
It's never that clear. If it's a clear manufacturing defect the answer is probably "yes" but that hardly ever happens.

If there's crash damage involved, a dealer might not want to get into a protracted involvement. It can eat up a lot of time and there's usually no money in it for the dealer. If the customer isn't satisfied, you're the person they argue with even though you have no authority to authorize anything for them. If they leave mad, they're mad at you.
Old 04-03-11, 10:00 AM
skiahh

Bikes: 08 Stumpjumper FSR Expert, 02 Litespeed Tuscany, 04 Specialized S-Works Epic

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
Yes, but....

There's many threads on other forums about supporting your LBS. And sadly, there are many shop employees that post on those threads that are petty and childish, saying they won't support a bike they didn't sell or will drag it out or in some other way take it out on the buyer for not buying from. Sad and poor business model to turn down work and/or alienate customers.

Especially since the rule of thumb is pretty accurate: Make someone happy and they'll tell a few friends. Make them mad and they'll tell thousands (maybe millions in the internet age!!).

Last edited by skiahh; 04-03-11 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-03-11, 10:08 AM
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar

Bikes: 10' SuperiorLite SL Club | 06' Giant FCR3 | 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bike Shops don't carry warranties, they only perform the work. Therefore it is entirely up to the Manufacturer who possesses the warranty to dictate where it can be fixed.
Old 04-03-11, 05:50 PM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In my experience if it is indeed warrantee work any authorized dealer should take care of the problem once it has been approved by the manufacturer. Example, Specialized warrantees their tires for 90 days. I had a cut in a new tire one week after purchase. Small local shop that sold me the tire wasn’t going to replace it. Took it to a bigger shop that was a Specialized dealer and they replaced it and then dealt with Specialized. I had a Scandium Frame from Lapierre that developed a stress crack where the seat tube meets the top tube. Had to send the frame to Lapierre in Seattle, dealer shipped it for me and received the replacement frame, CF because they no longer make a scandium frame. Giant also has a great frame warrantee and seems to willing to work with the dealers. Tune ups and adjustments aren’t typically considered warrantee work.