Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Encounters

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-23, 11:31 AM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
Just like the runners did not appreciate being told to get out of the way I would assume the OP did not appreciate all the scorn and judgment in this thread that seems to be a rant about issues faced while riding.

Back on topic I was recently buzzed by a minivan on my ride. It happens so often that I am now starting to believe that is is mostly a matter of poorly skilled drivers without the understanding of the physical size of their vehicles more than malice for cyclists.
Old 06-15-23, 11:35 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10444 Post(s)
Liked 11,924 Times in 6,105 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Ah yes! I know that one. It runs into Woodside Dr.
Yep. The main cycling artery from the Northern Peninsula to the amazing cycling roads farther South. (but it's Woodside Rd., not Dr.)

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-15-23, 11:36 AM
kap 7

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Hardrock XC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I ran into 3 wild turkey today on a mup.... Yelling get out of the way probably wouldn't help much I just took it slow and let them clear out of the way. As far as humans did you really expect a nice response to that!?
People here seem to be a lot more considerate of others on the path and apologize if they happen to be in the way if I have to go around them or alert I'm coming.

Last edited by kap 7; 06-15-23 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-15-23, 11:42 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
After I announce ‘on your left’ or ‘passing left’ and the peds move, I always follow-up with ‘thank you’. A little positive reinforcement never hurts, unless there are too many peds. I usually avoids MUPs because of the inherent danger of people, dogs and small children.

I get thanked for the announcement a lot, and will thank the pedestrian in return.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-15-23, 04:04 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Bells suck in a situation like that. A simple "excuse me" would have sufficed.
Speak for yourself...A loud bell has always worked for me for all types of situations...In OPs situation he didn't even need to say anything, he could of just passed them on the side without spewing out offensive crap out of his mouth.
Old 06-15-23, 06:36 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
I think the OP's intent was for us to share our encounters too. So here is mine.

I encountered a couple walking side by side on our narrow path and I called out "bike". The gentleman looked over his shoulder, gave me a wave and they moved over to the right so I could pass on the left. One day I hope to be able to try "get out of the way", but today it didn't seem like the thing to do.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 06-15-23, 07:27 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Speak for yourself...A loud bell has always worked for me for all types of situations...In OPs situation he didn't even need to say anything, he could of just passed them on the side without spewing out offensive crap out of his mouth.

I'm speaking for myself, and I have often seen people stare blankly and do nothing when they hear the bell. OP could have just said "excuse me" and it would have been fine. I do it all the time.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-15-23, 07:33 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Well, I had an encounter today at the end of my after-work 25 mile round trip MUP ride with an inconsiderate family who within seconds actually got two of their kids to do their first bike ride without training wheels. Not only did I have to slow down, I had to stop and laugh because it was such a fun scene to see.
Won't somebody think of the Strava!!!
Old 06-15-23, 07:36 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Old 06-15-23, 08:42 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 323 Posts
In OPs situation he didn't even need to say anything, he could of just passed them on the side without spewing out offensive crap out of his mouth.
Wow, you make me sound like a real ogre. Did you read the part about them blocking the path? Anyway. I'm moving on to another encounter yesterday.

I love to see kids on my rides, the younger the better. A long time ago my Grandpa taught me not to distract them. They may be concentrating on steering and that's important to let them do. But sometimes they are just so cute. There is a place where a convenient path cuts diagonally through a street grid which is popular. It's a good shortcut to the local library and gets a lot of use. I was riding South, on a slight uphill when I came upon a very young girl riding north (downhill) following a woman on one of those long tail bikes. The girl was on one of those pedal-less bikes and seemed to be doing fine going down the hill. I did say "nice bike" as I passed and we all went on our way.

An hour or so later after eating my lunch at a local park I started for home. These days that park is very busy what with a swimming pool and various camp activities. There were a couple school busses blocking my sight line as I exited the parking lot so I pushed a bit forward into the lane to see around them. Here comes that same woman going uphill now with the girl seated on the back and her bike strapped on too. I said "look who's working now" and got a nice smile. Warmed my heart.
Old 06-16-23, 03:31 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
Wow, you make me sound like a real ogre. Did you read the part about them blocking the path? Anyway. I'm moving on to another encounter yesterday.
Telling pedestrians to " get out of the way" is a very inappropriate way of announcing yourself.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 06-16-23, 03:33 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Wow, you make me sound like a real ogre. Did you read the part about them blocking the path?
Yes, and we read how you turned it into an argument by acting like a jerk instead of just saying "excuse me". 90% of people are going to tell you where to stick it if you command them to
"get out of my way.". Obviously, you haven't read your own thread.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-16-23, 11:14 AM
cellery

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 12 Posts
"get out of my way".

Un-freaking-believable.
Likes For cellery:
Old 06-16-23, 11:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by cellery
"get out of my way".

Un-freaking-believable.

He's a very important cyclist.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-16-23, 12:15 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3515 Post(s)
Liked 2,929 Times in 1,777 Posts
I think "Get the hell out of my way" just rolls off the tongue easier.

And cyclists can't understand the general public's perception of us as jerks.
Likes For smd4:
Old 06-16-23, 12:19 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1807 Post(s)
Liked 1,448 Times in 995 Posts
I stopped any type of audible notification (voice or bell) for those in the path of travel as so many folks seem to wear earbuds these days and are tuned out from their immediate surroundings. The MUP I ride on has a wide, flat dirt area along the side of the asphalt for most of its length so I just veer onto that to get past.
Old 06-16-23, 01:32 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 323 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
The MUP I ride on has a wide, flat dirt area along the side of the asphalt for most of its length so I just veer onto that to get past.
The MUPs around here are surrounded by dirt which is covered with weeds at this time of year. Those weeds conceal the sun baked ruts made by various vehicles during the rains. Veering off into that area is an immediate dump off the bike into the hardened clay (adobe) ridges painful and ugly.
Old 06-16-23, 02:37 PM
wolfchild
Banned

The MUPs around here are surrounded by dirt which is covered with weeds at this time of year. Those weeds conceal the sun baked ruts made by various vehicles during the rains. Veering off into that area is an immediate dump off the bike into the hardened clay (adobe) ridges painful and ugly.
Well then, slow down and use a more appropriate language when announcing yourself or just get a loud bell. In all my years of cycling I never had any pedestrians deliberately block my way or prevent me from passing them after I announced myself that I was passing them. Some people actually thank me for using my bell.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 06-16-23, 05:44 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,296 Times in 1,283 Posts
I try my best to avoid MUP’s . I have succeeded for the last few years and cycling is much nicer. I do have a bell and use it when passing others , occasionally I get a “thank you”. Now , if I could find a route without goatheads , life would be MUCH better!
Old 06-16-23, 08:58 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Yeah, people on MUPs can really be annoying and get in the way. You can't even drive your spaceship there without walkers getting int he way. Then, if you beam some up in an effort to make room, they say you're rude.

Likes For phughes:
Old 06-17-23, 04:14 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18428 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Some walkers are nice. I met these folks in one of the tunnels of the abandoned stretch of the PA Turnpike that has been turned into an MUP.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-17-23, 04:20 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
Are you an old time Herb Caen fan? That famed SF columnist made a career out of slamming us suburban hicks compared to the city sophisticates. As far as snooty, it’s hard for me to tell, I’ve lived here (mostly) my whole life so I just think it’s normal. Thanks for asking though.
Herb Caen was great!
Old 06-17-23, 09:50 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 4,846 Times in 2,235 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
Herb Caen was great!
Actually, @Joe Bikerider, lots of humorists/satirists appeal to me. Matt Groening is a current favorite - takes on just about anything lacking reason and sound ethics.

Maybe you had a Cartman moment:

.....and this thread needs more images.

Last edited by Wildwood; 06-17-23 at 10:07 AM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 06-17-23, 10:21 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2590 Post(s)
Liked 5,657 Times in 2,927 Posts
Originally Posted by Black wallnut
Just like the runners did not appreciate being told to get out of the way I would assume the OP did not appreciate all the scorn and judgment in this thread that seems to be a rant about issues faced while riding.

Back on topic I was recently buzzed by a minivan on my ride. It happens so often that I am now starting to believe that is is mostly a matter of poorly skilled drivers without the understanding of the physical size of their vehicles more than malice for cyclists.
I take it then, your approach to someone that might be giving other bike riders a bad name, as well as acting inappropriately, is to just ignore and act like he was just fine in his use of words?

From the OP’s response above, he appears to learned what is cool and what is not, so the comments were not wasted.

Hats off to anyone who can ride a bike in one of the windiest towns in WA. You must be an animal.

Old 06-17-23, 12:03 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 761 Posts
I agree with what you've said, but maybe I haven't found a loud enough bell, but they haven't worked for me on the limited MUPs that I ride on (I am usually on the road). The reason? The MUPs I generally ride on are along side busy streets and highways and the traffic noise drowns out the bell. Plus peds who are listening to their ear buds**(see note). I do what's safe when I'm riding on a SHARED PATH. I keep my speed to a safe level. I pass safely by slowing down to what I think is approximately the speed of a jogger, sometimes even just walking speed if necessary. I do speak out "passing" when I think I'm in range of a loud voice, but not yelling, and wait to see if and how the ped will react, if they react. Sometimes they don't because they can't hear me because they're listening to an interesting podcast, or the same traffic noise drowns out my own voice unless I shout as loudly as I can. I'd rather proceed slowly than be yelling (even politely) at pedestrians. If they don't hear me and give way, I just slow way down and pass very carefully. I say thank you if they move. I speed up after the pass if it's clear ahead.

** lest anyone take the opportunity to disparage "plugged ears" etc. Pedestrians have every right to listen to whatever they want when they're walking. The issue isn't their hearing, the issue is a cyclist who wants to go faster than is warranted on a SHARED PATH. They're essentially sidewalks, and if you don't like it, get off onto the street where adults on bicycles belong.

Last edited by Camilo; 06-17-23 at 12:08 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.