Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Transporting an e-tandem in a Sienna van

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-23, 04:41 PM
wjjones
Slowpoke

Bikes: Shinola Detroit Arrow; Burley Rumba tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Does anyone transport their e-tandem in a minivan?

For now we have a Toyota Sienna van and our Burley Rumba fits with the front wheel removed. However, it's an awkward operation because I have to load it alone (my stoker is blind). We're thinking about either converting the Rumba or buying a factory tandem.

I think our Rumba already weighs around 40lbs. How awkward will a heavier e-tandem be to load into my van? I have read that front hub conversions make it more involved to remove the front wheel and I don't think I can get a tandem in without removing the front wheel. Also, my back is not the best, and at 71, my stronger years are behind me.

Any words of wisdom?
Old 07-07-23, 02:18 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
I think it depends on what size motor you might add in the front wheel. If you add one of those big 750W types, then I think removing and replacing it each time would be awkward for one person.

We have the Cytronex C1 on our CoMotion Macchiato. The Macchiato is very light ~26lb to begin with and the C1 only weighs a total of about 8lb. The battery and electronics are in a "bottle" which fits into a cage and takes a moment to fit and to remove. The front wheel is held in by nuts, so a wrench is required. To remove it, release the brake, disconnect one electrical cable, loosen the retaining nuts and drop the wheel. It takes about two minutes! You would then be in the same situation as you are now when putting the Burley into the van. When you get to your destination, put wheel back in, tighten the nuts, re-connect the cable, adjust the brake (don't forget this!) , put the battery back in its cage and off you go. A backup battery and cage are also available. Depending on overall weight, terrain and judicious use of the assist, we get about 36 miles on one battery, so with the backup, double that.
We carry our Macchiato in our older model BMW 535i GT and lie the tandem on its side. It just fits with my wife's seat far forward and she scrunched up for shorter journeys.
We also have a Circe Helios, with a Shimano STEPS mid-motor, which is much heavier then the Macchiato. It takes two of us, when we are in the UK, to lift it into a small rental van, where it will fit diagonally with the front. wheel removed.
The Macchiato with the Cytronex requires much less effort!
Disclaimer: I have no relationship with Cytronex other than having purchased three of their systems; for a tandem and two half-bikes.
Likes For Artmo:
Old 07-20-23, 12:52 PM
wjjones
Slowpoke

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks, Artmo. But...220 views, and only one response! I assumed there were a few people who transported their e-tandems in minivans, but it looks like I'm in uncharted territory. I'll have to see how easy it is to remove the front wheel, or maybe find a rear hub-powered system. Either way, it's going to be an awkward task getting a long and heavy bike into the vehicle.
Old 07-20-23, 04:42 PM
Alcanbrad

Bikes: '14 CoMo Carrera, '11 CoMo Primera co-pilot, '98 Santana Visa, a Plethora of road bikes, A commuter/Gravel beast (and 1 MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 38 Posts
I must have missed the original post. We transport our Santana eTandem (1998 Visa with front wheel motor from Grin) in our 2006 Honda Odyssey. Fortunately, I can get the bike in with the front wheel on by removing one of the vans second row bucket seats. I fashioned a simple ramp from a scrap piece of wood that clips onto the rear hatch clasp that helps with loading and unloading. It's not pretty, but it works and we don't have to deal with removing and re-installing the front wheel.

Will your bike fit if you removed a rear seat?.

Last edited by Alcanbrad; 07-20-23 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-21-23, 07:18 AM
DCwom

Bikes: Burley Tandem

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Disclaimer we don't have an eTandem (yet). We transport with a Grand Caravan and always have to remove our front wheel due to height not length, we could probably fit the length if we rolled it between the front seats. As Alcanbrad mentioned I've seen people use ramps, I messed with that idea, but have found that I just roll the back to the bumper and the stoker does a quick lift of rear tire as I push it onto the bumper and I roll it in (we have a rack so its an easy grab). I'm not sure about how well your vision impaired stoker could handle that. It you go the front eWheel route the rear should not weigh much, mid-drive would weigh more and of course rear wheel would be the most. Removable batteries would be important to reduce weight, I've been seeing bikes with non-removable batteries recently so be aware.
Old 07-21-23, 11:40 AM
wjjones
Slowpoke

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Alcanbrad
I must have missed the original post. We transport our Santana eTandem (1998 Visa with front wheel motor from Grin) in our 2006 Honda Odyssey. Fortunately, I can get the bike in with the front wheel on by removing one of the vans second row bucket seats. I fashioned a simple ramp from a scrap piece of wood that clips onto the rear hatch clasp that helps with loading and unloading. It's not pretty, but it works and we don't have to deal with removing and re-installing the front wheel.

Will your bike fit if you removed a rear seat?.
I can fit our Rumba with the front wheel removed by backing the rear wheel in between the second row seats. The rear seat is not the problem; the handlebars are too high. My main concern is the awkward process of removing and reinstalling the front wheel with a heavier e-tandem. A ramp might work if we got a new e-tandem that wasn't quite as tall. Also, I suppose I could get more clearance if I lowered the bars or stem somehow, but that would affect the ergonomics for me.

Originally Posted by DCwom
Disclaimer we don't have an eTandem (yet). We transport with a Grand Caravan and always have to remove our front wheel due to height not length, we could probably fit the length if we rolled it between the front seats. As Alcanbrad mentioned I've seen people use ramps, I messed with that idea, but have found that I just roll the back to the bumper and the stoker does a quick lift of rear tire as I push it onto the bumper and I roll it in (we have a rack so its an easy grab). I'm not sure about how well your vision impaired stoker could handle that. It you go the front eWheel route the rear should not weigh much, mid-drive would weigh more and of course rear wheel would be the most. Removable batteries would be important to reduce weight, I've been seeing bikes with non-removable batteries recently so be aware.
Thanks, I also remove the front wheel because of height, not length. Because of this discussion, yesterday I asked my wife to help by loading the rear end of the bike while I removed the front wheel. She was surprised by how heavy and awkward it was. Also, being totally blind she has a difficult time finding a good handhold and then orienting the bike so that it does not tip to either side. I mentioned the additional 30-40 pounds with an e-tandem and the idea of owning one is not as appealing as it once was (she is the one who wants an e-tandem). A ramp may be the best idea if I can figure a way to get clearance with the handlebars.