Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Linus Bikes, a review

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Linus Bikes, a review

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-23, 11:52 AM
corvalliscycles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Linus Bikes, a review

I wanted a single-speed, coaster brake town bike and I came across the Linus Roadster Classic which looked perfect, so I ordered one.

When I got the bike, I noticed that the frame has hundreds of 2-3mm circles that looked like dirt from storage. I tried to wipe them off, but they didn't come off, so it looked like it was a painting process imperfection. It wasn't that big a deal for me, but it was very disappointing for a new bike. I got black paint so they were less noticeable than had they been on a lighter colored bike.

Next, I noticed that the tires were not as advertised, the reflective stripe tires as on their website, but it showed up with plain black generic tires. This was a big selling point for me, so I wrote to the company to make them aware of these issues. I told them I didn't mind the paint imperfections because with locking up my bike so much, the paint would be worn away here and there after a while anyway. But I did say that I would like them to make good on the tires they advertised on the website. They did make good and sent me two new Schwalbe tires with the reflective stripes, which I thought was good business.

After riding for a couple of weeks, the coaster brake sheared off because, according to my friend who works at a bike shop, it was installed incorrectly. This stress when it popped off caused a spoke to break, which I paid to have replaced. When my friend trued up the wheel and replaced the spoke, he told me with certainty that they hub was not a Shimano, as was advertised on the Linus website, but a generic low quality hub. These were the third and the fourth issues, and it didn't sit right with me on the purchase of a new bike. I wrote saying that I wanted a wheel with the advertised hub. They responded by saying that substitutions were a part of their process because of Covid supply issues (the bike was purchases in September of 2023). It was a very diplomatically written email, but in essence it said, tough luck, we will not be doing anything else for you.

I like the bike, but I may have to buy a more robust rear wheel at my own cost because I have now had two broken spokes which I had to pay to replace. Overall, the experience with Linus was disappointing. The business and customer service side of things leaves a lot to be desired. In many ways, the company is employing the classic bad business practice of bait and switch, and it's false advertising. They have put on their website that specifications are subject to change. This is a catch-all expression that, in essence, allows them to change anything on the bike to something of lower cost to apparently save them money and shortchange the customer.

Caveat emptor.

Edit: I have decided to cut my losses and not deal with Linus anymore about any issues with the bike. But I have since broken three spokes on the rear wheel with completely normal riding down the sidewalk and on pavement. Once again, buyer beware!

Edit: I have now broken seven spokes on the rear wheel. I'm a tall guy, but my bike mechanic friend are appalled at the shoddy parts on the back wheel.

Last edited by corvalliscycles; 10-29-23 at 10:20 PM. Reason: update
Old 10-22-23, 08:15 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
Originally Posted by corvalliscycles
I got black paint so they were less noticeable than had they been on a lighter colored bike.
Imperfections in paint or bodywork are most visible on black finishes. Get white net time ... seriously.
Old 10-22-23, 08:22 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
Thanks for this review.

A few points .... most online bike shopping sites probably have a disclaimer somewhere saying that components may vary due to supply. I know I have seen it. However, it is implied that the replacements will be of the same quality as the listed components, and will work properly with the other components.

It would be a very expensive court battle to try to determine whether the hub they sent was as good as the hub they advertised .... and in court, money usually wins.

As for the coaster brake ... I cannot comment, but as for the spokes .... after my experience with mail-order bikes, I expect the wheels to need tensioning and truing. After the coaster-brake incident, your bike shop should have completely fixed the wheel .... spokes usually break because they are too loose, and if you got a wheel back from a bike shop after getting a spoke replaced and you had issues, I would say that is on the bike shop.

All in all, though ... Thanks for the warning. Too many issues for me to feel comfortable ever recommending a Linus.
Old 10-22-23, 02:21 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Sounds more like a Lucy bike, and you (unfortunately) get to be Charlie Brown.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 10-22-23, 02:31 PM
Lamont Cobb

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 36 Posts
That's really a bummer.
Old 10-24-23, 09:39 AM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I was very interested in their bikes as well. Given the price and the fact that there are no caliper or disc brakes, nor derailleurs/gears, you would think they could make a reliable, very basic bike. Guess not. Thanks for posting and making others aware!
Old 10-25-23, 12:55 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 323 Posts
I have a Linus bike that I like a lot. It's a dark blue color with non of the defects reported by the OP. It's got Shimano 8 speed IGH and rim brakes , dual pivot. I guess I've had it almost 5 years now. Long enough to replace the chain which I just did yesterday. SRAM single speed chain. Nice fenders too. I picked it up from the local Sports Basement outlet after ordering it online.
Old 10-25-23, 02:13 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 174 Posts
They have a pretty website and an eye for urbanish bike design, but everything you describe is unacceptable at those price points.

IDK if you've gone too long but I'd want a refund/exchange.

Good luck!

p.s. Rear coaster brake only seems like a dare to nature in soggy western Oregon.

Last edited by Rick_D; 10-25-23 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-25-23, 03:02 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I didn't know this brand was still going. I feel like their heyday was nearly a decade ago
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-29-23, 10:17 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick_D
They have a pretty website and an eye for urbanish bike design, but everything you describe is unacceptable at those price points.

IDK if you've gone too long but I'd want a refund/exchange.

Good luck!

p.s. Rear coaster brake only seems like a dare to nature in soggy western Oregon.
^ That’s my take as well.
1020 frame with only a coaster brake? Sounds like a 150$ - 200$ bike.

I would watch for the cranks loosening up next.
Old 10-30-23, 12:40 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4371 Post(s)
Liked 4,010 Times in 2,677 Posts
It is one thing to have to swap parts it is another to put even lower grade parts and sell it for the same price. It is a shame you cannot find a good quality coaster brake single speed that is just a sort of full custom bespoke thing. It seems like everything is kind of junk or maybe a better frame with cheap-o parts.

However if I were building one this would be the go to Bad Ass Coaster Brake Wheel ? MON? but it would probably cost the same as one Linus and be worth 2-3 Linuseses

In terms of COVID, the industry won't full recover till probably 2024 or 2025 if not later. It is not like the endemic sort of ended enough to go back to semi-normal and now everything bounces back immediately. It will take time. It has certainly gotten better but won't quite be there for a bit.
Old 10-31-23, 07:19 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1282 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
the first bike i purchased in the 21st century was a tiny little red linus for my first daughter. it worked fine, second daughter now using it 10 years later. sounds like their products haven't aged super well.