Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Will I notice any difference

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-09, 06:41 AM
Bosock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All,

For reasons I do not want to take the time and explain here, I am purchasing a new 2010 stumpy Elite and providing my 2007 to someone else. I am excited about the new bike and how the suspension setup is similiar to my 07. I loved my 07...still do. However, in reviewing the specs i noticed that they seemed to have downgraded the crank. My 07 elite uses a Deore XT...has worked well and disapointed it is still not offered on them. The 2010 elite comes with a shimino 542 and the expert now comes with a 572. I can not find much info on these cranks. Anyone familiar with them, if so, will i notice any difference between the Deore XT that i liked so much and the shimino 542. If there is, should i have them replace the 542 with a deore xt? However, I would like to maintain the ride I had on my 07...great bike. Any insight here will be greatly appreciated. I am helping someone out here and do not want to pick parts off my 07 to place on the 2010 and possible degrade there experience with there new/little older bike. Everything else seems to be the same as the 07 such as Talas front shocks and triad rear shock (love them as well), avid brakes, xt rear derailor, and SLX front derailer and shifters. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. I am stoked as the 2010's look nice, testing and riding it tomorrow, only thing is it is currently only made in red and I would prefer the brushed alum....o'well do not prefer it enough to wait another month. Good bikeing all...
Old 09-04-09, 02:03 AM
Bosock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So no one is familiar with the shimano 542 crankset?
Old 09-04-09, 02:23 AM
Metzinger
Primate

Bikes: Concorde Columbus SL, Rocky Mountain Edge, Sparta stadfiets

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bosock
For reasons I do not want to take the time and explain here...
Nice opening line. Best of luck with the responses.
Old 09-04-09, 02:57 AM
Bosock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses ddac...i think. I am asking about crank information and I receive a critique on my writing? Anyway, took this question to local bike club and all i got was why get the new bike, stay with the 07, if it has parts you want. This is a done deal and did not need thread to go in that direction. Tried to stay away from that and your right i probably over explained. I wish i could give you back the 6 seconds of your life you wasted on my post, but that is beyond my ability. Then again it seems like you are getting even as you have wasted a similiar amount of my time reading your post and you have provided absolutely no information on the crankset i have asked about. I will try to make my post more clear and concise, however, for me, could you please try to provide some valued feedback on the topic at hand. From your post above you clearly understood what information I was trying to recieve, yet, you post no useful information pertaining to that subject. Again, thanks I think.
Old 09-04-09, 05:28 AM
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Geez, is it so hard to answer the guy's question?

I have no idea which cranks the M542 are, since they don't seem to be on Shimano's site, but it looks like they're going to be either LX or Deore quality...probably an OEM crank that doesn't actually fit into a series. That'll be a step or two down from your XT. It'll most likely weigh a little bit more. Good luck noticing a difference though. I have a bike with XTR Hollowtech II cranks and a bike with cheap Bontrager cranks and they feel pretty much the same. I'm assuming they're probably both 22-32-42 and 175mm crankarms. You can swap them if they're not (may or may not have to swap out the BB's too), but at most, we're probably talking about 5mm crankarm length difference and maybe two teeth in the big ring.
Old 09-04-09, 06:51 AM
Bosock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Zephyr11, I appreciate the info. I will ride with it and if I notice a difference, which you are probably right I won't, will look at changing them at that time. Just wanting to ensure I am going to maintain same quality of ride and the crank probably isnt the biggest player there. Thank you again, just experiencing a little buyers remorse and appreciate the help keeping the head straight.
Old 09-04-09, 08:04 AM
daisylovesbikes
MTB Nut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In all honesty i can't see you noticing any difference between the two, i doubt very much that you will be able to feel a difference when riding.

What you may feel is the bike being slightly different overall, but give it a couple of rides and you'll get used to it i am sure!
Old 09-04-09, 08:33 AM
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad

Bikes: Blur LT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ddac
You have a stable of bikes worth over $10k and you're worried about cranks? I say ride them till they break, then change them. Hopefully if you're strong enough, you can break them in a few months. Take advantage of that warranty.
Heeeehehehehe....you said stable.....hehehehehe....
Old 09-04-09, 04:44 PM
Bosock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well took the new stumpy to the mountains...great bike...crank, what crank, last thing on my mind was the crank. Gonna keep the 542 crank on until it blows. Now the brakes have not worn in, however, the only down side of the ride is that the Avid Juicey 7s I am used to seem to have a bit better stopping power than the elixars that the 2010 comes with. Anyone have any feedback on comparisons between the Elixars and the Juicey series. I am hoping after they break in they will have similiar stopping power. Anyway, crank definitely is not an issue at this point, the new stumpy is a great ride....actually rides very similiar to the 07. Just seems a bit tighter in turns. For those that have responded, again, appreciate your input and help.
Old 09-04-09, 06:45 PM
born2bahick
Official Website Waterboy

Bikes: a lot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They will, your juicey's are way better now, than when they were new, you just don't remember.
Old 09-05-09, 06:40 AM
daisylovesbikes
MTB Nut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Elixirs are meant to be more powerful, they have a bigger pad and contact area, i reckon once they bed in fully they will improve. Mine have never let me down...
Old 09-05-09, 08:58 AM
Freefallman
Addicted to Dirt

Bikes: Stumpjumper Comp 09, Nishiki Prestige (1990)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That crank is comparable the SLX crank. Come on folks was that so hard.
Old 09-05-09, 10:39 AM
skiahh

Bikes: 08 Stumpjumper FSR Expert, 02 Litespeed Tuscany, 04 Specialized S-Works Epic

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There will be no appreciable difference in your ride. Specialized is big enough now that they can get "custom" SLX and XT versions made for them.

If you are able to tell the difference, simply replace them. From your post and signature, I gather you are fortunate enough to be able to afford to get a new set of XT cranks should you have the need.

With that in mind, ride the OEM ones and if they do not meet your needs, take them off, put them in your "parts locker" for an emergency and put the XT cranks on and enjoy.

Personally, I doubt you will be able to tell the difference. And, in fact, the way Shimano works, I would guess the cranks in question are identical or even slightly better than your old XT cranks... trickle down theory.
Old 09-05-09, 01:42 PM
Bosock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for input Skiahh and Freefallman. I have taken it out twice now and have no beef with the crank at all. Brakes are breaking in and she is braking fine. Love the bike, and likely future son in law loves the 07. Specialized may get heat in these forums, but i like there stuff...great bike if anyone is thinking of getting one...only two rides and I already love it. Again, new suspension system is very similiar to the 07 or pre-08 models when you line them up side by side. Again, I appreciate all the info everyone and sorry if i rambled in the first couple posts.
Old 09-05-09, 01:56 PM
kenhill3
use your best eye

Bikes: '75 Bertin, '93 Parkpre Team 925, '04 Kona King Kikapu, '05 Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bosock
Thanks for input Skiahh and Freefallman. I have taken it out twice now and have no beef with the crank at all. Brakes are breaking in and she is braking fine. Love the bike, and likely future son in law loves the 07. Specialized may get heat in these forums, but i like there stuff...great bike if anyone is thinking of getting one...only two rides and I already love it. Again, new suspension system is very similiar to the 07 or pre-08 models when you line them up side by side. Again, I appreciate all the info everyone and sorry if i rambled in the first couple posts.
As is said traditionally in these forums, Specialized Sucks.
Old 09-05-09, 05:31 PM
ed 

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Actually, what's said traditionally is Ken Sucks...it's just usually done via PM.