Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is your bike good enough to have a patent on it? What’s your patent#?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Is your bike good enough to have a patent on it? What’s your patent#?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-09, 01:49 AM
kuf
Mrs. umd

Bikes: Specialized Dolce Vita & Transition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The OP reminds me of a kook that sits in their room all by themselves ranting on the internet about their pet peeve, and alienates their freinds and family and ends up leading a sad lonely existence. They are so blinded to reality by their emotions, they won't listen to other's arguments. They end up completely losing touch with reality and sending anonymous packages out...
Old 09-20-09, 02:02 AM
DenisMenchov
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well that article certainly brought up a good way to get around the patent...buy the bike in Europe.

But still, specialized bought this patent. They weren't the cause for the innovation...and it wasn't their own design...and it wasn't something they engineered. They are just a big company with a lot of money that wanted to buy the patent, so as to create a road block for other manufacturers to use it. You don't think that's monopoly? That article is a perfect example of how monopoly works...look at what they did to Scott who tried to use the design and sell it in the U.S.
Old 09-20-09, 02:06 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm not going to continue to argue with you because I don't want to b confused for an idiot.
Old 09-20-09, 02:09 AM
DenisMenchov
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kuf
The OP reminds me of a kook that sits in their room all by themselves ranting on the internet about their pet peeve, and alienates their freinds and family and ends up leading a sad lonely existence. They are so blinded to reality by their emotions, they won't listen to other's arguments. They end up completely losing touch with reality and sending anonymous packages out...
You are seriously comparing me to the Unabomber....that's insane Mam.

Google patent and monopoly...you will find plenty of examples of how patents create monopolies.
Old 09-20-09, 02:15 AM
kuf
Mrs. umd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DenisMenchov

Google patent and monopoly...you will find plenty of examples of how patents create monopolies.
If the rant fits...

Seriously, get over it. You are ridiculously obsessed with patents and don't understand the reality of R&D.
Old 09-20-09, 02:25 AM
DenisMenchov
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So you are both a profiler and a expert on R&D as well apparently. If you don't believe patents create monopoly pricing, that's fine. To each their own. That's why we have Christians and Atheists...we can each have our own opinion and beliefs and not be unjustly slandered for it...
Old 09-20-09, 02:27 AM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 390 Posts
Originally Posted by kuf
If the rant fits...

Seriously, get over it. You are ridiculously obsessed with patents and don't understand the reality of life.
fify.
Old 09-20-09, 02:28 AM
kuf
Mrs. umd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So you are both a profiler and a expert on R&D as well apparently. If you don't believe patents create monopoly pricing, that's fine. To each their own. That's why we have Christians and Atheists...we can each have our own opinion and beliefs and not be unjustly slandered for it...
your idea that bike designs should be open source is absolutely ridiculous, totally ignoring the R&D that companies put in to make the design in the first place. This is not a matter of faith. If you remove incentive to innovate, you will stagnate.
Old 09-20-09, 02:37 AM
DenisMenchov
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Faith is what you believe. I believe bike designs shouldn't have patents. If you believe that to be ridiculous, you are entitled to your opinion. I appreciate your contribution to this thread. I am not the only person that does not like the idea of patents in general.
Old 09-20-09, 02:47 AM
Skones MickLoud
This steel horse I ride

Bikes: 1980something Schwinn Tempo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe bike designs shouldn't have patents.
Then don't buy a new bike. Patents expire. Buy it after it does.
Old 09-20-09, 03:08 AM
kuf
Mrs. umd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Faith is what you believe. I believe bike designs shouldn't have patents. If you believe that to be ridiculous, you are entitled to your opinion. I appreciate your contribution to this thread. I am not the only person that does not like the idea of patents in general.
Next time, take your faith to P&R.
Old 09-20-09, 03:20 AM
rollin
Sua Ku

Bikes: Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well that article certainly brought up a good way to get around the patent...buy the bike in Europe.

But still, specialized bought this patent. They weren't the cause for the innovation...and it wasn't their own design...and it wasn't something they engineered. They are just a big company with a lot of money that wanted to buy the patent, so as to create a road block for other manufacturers to use it. You don't think that's monopoly? That article is a perfect example of how monopoly works...look at what they did to Scott who tried to use the design and sell it in the U.S.
Yes Specialized bought the patent. They must have paid the inventor of the idea.

Being paid is an incentive for other inventors to invent.
Old 09-20-09, 04:14 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Not for nothing but 'cycling intellectual property' does strike me as a profound oxymoron.
Old 09-20-09, 04:16 AM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
even open source software has donation links.

for your open source idea to work to its fullest potential, you have to get rid of money.
Old 09-20-09, 04:26 AM
DenisMenchov
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Braden1550
Although I agree with the "open market" aspect to your post; is it worth the effort being p!ssed off about it? Find a bike that suits your needs and aesthetic preferences, then ride it like you stole it.
Probably not. I am passed being pssed and just starting to accept it for what it is. Doesn't mean I have to like it...but you are not going to like everything in life...kinda like having Bush as president...you just learn to live with it.

And I really do like this bike. I start to forget the whole patent debacle more and more after each ride. I'll probably try some fine grit sandpaper to at least remove the patent numbers on the frame.
Old 09-20-09, 08:31 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
China doesn't recognize patents or copyrights. Have you considered moving there?

But still, specialized bought this patent.
So the designer got paid. If there were no copyright laws, Specialized (and every other company) would have just taken it and the little guy would still be SOL and crying about how big companies control everything.
Old 09-20-09, 08:36 AM
SendMoreChris
Ego is my PED

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pure genius! I could apply that theory to pretty much ANYTHING I want to believe! I just googled "Ant Farm" and "Democracy" and found out things I'd never thought possible! Next I'll try "Space Travel" and "Hedgehogs" and see what I can learn from that.

...kinda like having Bush as president...
I just combo-googled "President Bush" and "2009"... and who would have thought.. He's still president! I think you've just disproved the existence of objective right and wrong!
Old 09-20-09, 09:06 AM
lambo_vt
member. heh.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SendMoreChris
Pure genius! I could apply that theory to pretty much ANYTHING I want to believe! I just googled "Ant Farm" and "Democracy" and found out things I'd never thought possible! Next I'll try "Space Travel" and "Hedgehogs" and see what I can learn from that.

I just combo-googled "President Bush" and "2009"... and who would have thought.. He's still president! I think you've just disproved the existence of objective right and wrong!
I love it when people do this Google thing...
Old 09-20-09, 09:10 AM
skiahh

Bikes: 08 Stumpjumper FSR Expert, 02 Litespeed Tuscany, 04 Specialized S-Works Epic

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah? Patents are SUPPOSED to create a temporary monopoly to allow the inventor to profit from his/her labors. That could be from selling the design or being the only one to be able to sell the item so as to establish a market "beachhead". After 17 (or 20) years, the patent expires and others can jump in, but theoretically, by then the inventor has established himself and improved on his original invention.

If you're pissed about patents and won't use them or products protected by them, I recommend you sign off your computer (most of your hardware and software is covered by at least one patent), turn in your cell phone or PDA (also HW/SW patent protected) and move to a (self made) cabin in the woods, stop taking any medicines etc etc.

Take a look around you and look at how many things are covered by patents.

You could move to Cuba or China - two of the few communist countries remaining where the (theoretical) philosophy is everyone pitches in everything they own, people always do the right thing, and everyone shares in the fruits of everyone else's labor....
Old 09-20-09, 09:14 AM
freddie
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bunch of communism in this thread
Old 09-20-09, 09:35 AM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Interesting. That looks like a photoshop job though. That is way too noticeable as well. Why do some companies feel it is necessary to put the patent no. on the frame?

Yes, I forgot... we see what we want when it serves our needs but when it doesn't it's a photoshop job nowadays... and everything thing you read on the internet or hear on the news is true and based on facts...

1. It's not a photoshop job; why would I waste my time? You asked, I provided.
2. Look again... It's under the rear chainstay.
3. Because to enforce a patent in court (or a trademark, salesmark, copyright, etc..) you have to take measures that demonstrate due diligence was taken to protect your intellectual property rights.

As others have noted, intellectual property (IP) rights and the like are what drive investment in innovation and invention. You may not appreciate this at this particular time in your life, but that's the reason that those legal protections have been put in place. Your grasp of Open Source strategies is also lacking in that decisions to make software and the like "Open Source" is usually done for a business reason and represents a cost of doing business in one area to drive revenue generation, market penetration or some other type of promotion for a longer-term, greater benefit.

Intellectual curiosity is a good thing, but pursing it from an ill-founded set of premises with an argumentative tone and cynical attitude ain't gonna get you too far in your quest for facts that either prove or disprove something that you want to understand.
Old 09-20-09, 11:03 AM
AtomicCactus

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Tarmac Elite, 2001 CCM Heat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My garbage can has a patent number on it. Seriously.

Old 09-20-09, 11:23 AM
dcbikeguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
China doesn't recognize patents or copyrights.
Well, they do if they want to import the goods to the U.S. - that's what the 337 cases down at the ITC are all about - and they're pretty busy these days.

Originally Posted by urbanknight
Have you considered moving there?
That would take him unbearably far from umd. Unacceptable.
Old 09-20-09, 01:01 PM
donrhummy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The problem is not Specialized, it's the patent system. Don't blame Specialized as they're doing what the current marketplace calls for - they're just trying to do well as a business. If the patent system is properly fixed, none of this would occur and we'd have a lot more innovation.
Old 09-20-09, 01:20 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by AtomicCactus
My garbage can has a patent number on it. Seriously.

[IMG]
That is a design patent, essentially useless and far from a utility patent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.