Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

newbe..what the big deal with the bikes with 29s

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

newbe..what the big deal with the bikes with 29s

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-09, 07:50 PM
johnnytheboy

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
i'm just asking.
i've ridden them and i feel like i'm on a horse.
if i did alot of fire roads and non-technical stuff i'd definitely buy one.
Old 10-10-09, 07:51 PM
skiahh

Bikes: 08 Stumpjumper FSR Expert, 02 Litespeed Tuscany, 04 Specialized S-Works Epic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Bike CG has raise because axles are higher and top of tires is higher as well...and supporting frame has to go with it.
I just bought and decided on a 26er. I personally think for the amateur, it doesn't matter much which bike you get as long as the bike fits. 26 wheels are stronger natively and lighter...another consideration. I personally like the look of the smaller wheels as well and I ride a big frame and a roadbike guy used to 700c wheels...small wheels spin up faster etc. I may own a 29er at some point...not dissing them...but there is no better...just a bit different. I like lighter and agile for a mountain bike.
Recent tests have shown that unless you're at the stratospheric level of, say a Lance, the acceleration difference is negligible. Having believed that myth for a while, I was very pleasantly surprised to find that I accelerate as fast on my 9er as I do on my 6er.

Originally Posted by Campag4life
Further a 29er is a longer frame and many times heavier with equivalent frame materials
Incorrect. Slightly heavier, yes. MANY TIMES?? No. When you make statements like this, you lose credibility.

Originally Posted by NormanF
Its basically an MTB with fat 700C tires.
Well, I guess at the most generic level, that's a true statement. But in reality, it's not just a frame with bigger tires slapped on. The good ones are designed and optimized to take advantage of the larger wheels. So your statement is basically inaccurate.

Originally Posted by thehappyrobot
i'm just asking.
i've ridden them and i feel like i'm on a horse.
if i did alot of fire roads and non-technical stuff i'd definitely buy one.
Then you'd be missing out. You just haven't ridden the right one for you. When I was looking, I rode a lot of bikes before I found the one that worked for me. And admittedly, many felt big, heavy and slow to me. But on the one I bought, I'm riding everything I do on my 26er FS with out any issues and even a bit faster (not sure I'll chock that up to the 9er yet; it might be the excitement of a new bike or the face that it's a HT. Time will tell.) I'm trying to think of terrain I've ridden that I couldn't do on the 9er. I've ridden in New England, Florida, TX, WA, CO, UT (inc. Moab) and there's really not anyplace I can think of I couldn't ride the 9er. That doesn't mean there aren't places I'll ultimately prefer a FS bike... but whether it's a 9er or 6er is still up in the air.

Last edited by skiahh; 10-10-09 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-11-09, 05:57 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by skiahh
Recent tests have shown that unless you're at the stratospheric level of, say a Lance, the acceleration difference is negligible. Having believed that myth for a while, I was very pleasantly surprised to find that I accelerate as fast on my 9er as I do on my 6er.

Incorrect. Slightly heavier, yes. MANY TIMES?? No. When you make statements like this, you lose credibility.

Well, I guess at the most generic level, that's a true statement. But in reality, it's not just a frame with bigger tires slapped on. The good ones are designed and optimized to take advantage of the larger wheels. So your statement is basically inaccurate.

Then you'd be missing out. You just haven't ridden the right one for you. When I was looking, I rode a lot of bikes before I found the one that worked for me. And admittedly, many felt big, heavy and slow to me. But on the one I bought, I'm riding everything I do on my 26er FS with out any issues and even a bit faster (not sure I'll chock that up to the 9er yet; it might be the excitement of a new bike or the face that it's a HT. Time will tell.) I'm trying to think of terrain I've ridden that I couldn't do on the 9er. I've ridden in New England, Florida, TX, WA, CO, UT (inc. Moab) and there's really not anyplace I can think of I couldn't ride the 9er. That doesn't mean there aren't places I'll ultimately prefer a FS bike... but whether it's a 9er or 6er is still up in the air.
First off, you can't accelerate as fast on a 29er. Unless you spend $2K for the wheelset which ultimately won't be as strong as a $1K set of 26 wheels, 9er wheels have more mass and interia for spool up. Plus the frames are heavier on a 9er unless it is a real high end frame and then you aren't comparing apples to apples.
Second, the term many times meant...often times. This means that in general for the same size rider frame to frame, 9er frames are heavier...fact.
Third...point of discussion was CG. 9er frames are taller. Fact. With same BB height as a 6er, a 9er has a higher CG and in general more tippy at lower speeds in particular when the angular momentum of the taller and heavier wheels isn't in effect.

Do 29ers have a following? Of course. Does it matter on an amateur level? Not much. Ride what you like but there is no refuting physics. Most heavier bikes will be slower than a lighter bike with the same tire width when climbing which is in part what you do on a mountain bike.
Old 10-11-09, 07:07 AM
scrublover
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?

Bikes: hardtail, squishy, fixed roadie, fixed crosser

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweet! I get to trot this thread out again. Try them both, ride whichever bike you prefer. Have one (or more!) of each. I tried the 29er thing and disliked it for me.

https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=491856

The BB height, and center of gravity of 26 vs. 29 can be the same, or they can not be. Some of each can be higher and lower. You can have a bike built with a higher or lower of both in either wheel size. There are way too many factors to make bald statements about such things.

Open statement to those on both sides of the fence:
Both wheel sizes have things they do better than others, and that all depends on what and how you ride, and what your preferences are. To state that either size is better overall for every rider is just asinine, and makes said statement maker look, well, dumb.

Now, if I had endless money to toss at the experiment: Burly hardtail with about a 68* head angle, 22.5" TT dropped super low for clearance, 15" ST. lNice stiff wheels with a 12mm travel thru-axle fork, Hammerschmidt up front, to not have to worry about front mech clearance, in order to get the rear stays as short as possible. Running my normal 6-7 cogs in back, short cage rear. Gravity dropper post. some of the new crop of DH capable 29er tires. That's not too far from what I experimented with though, and seeing how much I disliked it, I'm not going to shell out any more dough to try it out.

Last edited by scrublover; 10-11-09 at 07:12 AM.
Old 10-11-09, 09:02 AM
Svr

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scrublover
I think we're on the same page, Scrub. I've demoed a 29er and found the very same things you did. For every "advantage" the 29" wheels had, there was a very real and tangible disadvantage. You just cant cheat physics. I also agree that there's no way in hell I'm going to alter my riding style to suit the bike.
Old 10-11-09, 10:12 AM
johnnytheboy

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Svr
I think we're on the same page, Scrub. I've demoed a 29er and found the very same things you did. For every "advantage" the 29" wheels had, there was a very real and tangible disadvantage. You just cant cheat physics. I also agree that there's no way in hell I'm going to alter my riding style to suit the bike.
"a solution to a problem that never existed."

thats what 29ers seem like to me.
Old 10-11-09, 10:22 AM
skiahh

Bikes: 08 Stumpjumper FSR Expert, 02 Litespeed Tuscany, 04 Specialized S-Works Epic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Svr
Hmmm.... whether you will admit this or not, you've done this with every bike you've ever ridden.

Now granted, you pick a new bike on your changing riding style and ability, but you absolutely alter your riding style to suit the bike.

Not sure what makes you think you'd have to drastically alter your riding style on a 9er?

Have you actually tried one that seems to suit you, on trails you're familiar with? Or are you just going on rumor and supposition?

Much like cars, airplanes, computers, 8 speed, 9 speed, 10 speed etc etc.

Innovation isn't necessarily a solution to a problem that exists... and quite often opens vast new capabilities and possibilities if you get your head out of the sand.

Last edited by skiahh; 10-11-09 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-11-09, 10:33 AM
kenhill3
use your best eye

Bikes: '75 Bertin, '93 Parkpre Team 925, '04 Kona King Kikapu, '05 Bianchi Vigorelli

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Innovation isn't necessarily a solution to a problem that exists... and quite often opens vast new capabilities and possibilities if you get your head out of the sand.
Exactly. Discoveries have often been made when trying to solve unrelated problem.

Although, they say necessity is the Mother Of Invention.

Old 10-11-09, 11:48 AM
Svr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmm.... whether you will admit this or not, you've done this with every bike you've ever ridden.

Now granted, you pick a new bike on your changing riding style and ability, but you absolutely alter your riding style to suit the bike.

Not sure what makes you think you'd have to drastically alter your riding style on a 9er?

Have you actually tried one that seems to suit you, on trails you're familiar with? Or are you just going on rumor and supposition?
The demo was on an eight mile loop I've ridden regularly on my 26" wheeled bike for the past ten years or so. I've been riding MTBs for the past 20 years, and BMX bikes for eight years before that, so I'm very sure I know what I like. Increasing rotational inertia and unsprung weight isn't the way. The designers of the fastest off-road two wheeled vehicles on earth discovered this some time ago:

I can only hope ten years from now the typical MTB will have 25" wheels and a minimum of 10" of highly adjustable travel front and rear.
Old 10-11-09, 12:44 PM
skiahh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Svr
The demo was on an eight mile loop I've ridden regularly on my 26" wheeled bike for the past ten years or so. I've been riding MTBs for the past 20 years, and BMX bikes for eight years before that, so I'm very sure I know what I like. Increasing rotational inertia and unsprung weight isn't the way. The designers of the fastest off-road two wheeled vehicles on earth discovered this some time ago:

I can only hope ten years from now the typical MTB will have 25" wheels and a minimum of 10" of highly adjustable travel front and rear.
OK, so your expertise on 29ers is based on one 8 mile demo loop and your bias towards "normal" bikes and dirt bikes? Great. Thanks... I'll give your posts on 29ers every bit of consideration they deserve.
Old 10-11-09, 01:06 PM
DeweyJuice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
10 inches of travel... interesting. I guess that's a DH desire? I don't see how huge travel would help my mountain riding with the speeds I achieve on a mountain bike. I would guess a motorcycle would have more travel because it has more weight, travels at faster rates and therefore encounters larger obstacles?
Old 10-11-09, 01:06 PM
Svr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, so your expertise on 29ers is based on one 8 mile demo loop and your bias towards "normal" bikes and dirt bikes? Great. Thanks... I'll give your posts on 29ers every bit of consideration they deserve.
Fantastic! I'm not trying to convince you of anything. 29ers aren't for me. Period.

Do you use the same tactic with the lesbians you meet? Example: "You just haven't met the right man yet?"
Old 10-11-09, 02:39 PM
Berg417448
Troublemaker

Bikes: Yes. The more the better.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts

I'm going to guess that you are not tall. For me, 29ers provided a solution to some problems that I had with every 26 in wheeled bike I ever owned or rode. I always had a problem keeping the front wheel on the ground on a steep climb. I also had an "I'm about to endo" feel on many descents. When I switched to a 29er these ceased to be problems for me. The 29ers I ride now simply fit me better than the 26 in wheeled ones did. I can climb better and longer and I'm enjoying mountain biking more than I ever did before I rode one.

If I was under 6 feet tall, like most of my riding friends, I'm sure that I wouldn't have had these issues and I'd be riding a nice 26 inch wheeled bike today.
Old 10-11-09, 03:44 PM
craigcraigcraig
Don't really have a bike.

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 10-11-09, 04:28 PM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
29ers suck and people who buy them are nothing but lemmings
Old 10-11-09, 05:42 PM
born2bahick
Official Website Waterboy

Bikes: a lot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Damn, Skiahh doesn't even ride mountain bikes regularly that I know of nor has she frequented this forum much in the past. But I gotta say she shows more intellect than most of the posters or Posuers in this thread.

It simple science, "for every action, there is an equal and oppisite reaction"
I've said it before and I'll say it again. It's a trade off!
You have to decide for yourself what's right for you, just don't tell me what's right for me, OK?
Old 10-11-09, 05:44 PM
born2bahick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr IGH
29ers suck and people who buy them are nothing but lemmings
Awesome!
Old 10-11-09, 05:52 PM
DeweyJuice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 29er sucks. I crashed today. WTF?!?!? I thought 29ers were better over rough stuff.

:-)
Old 10-11-09, 06:02 PM
born2bahick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DeweyJuice
My 29er sucks. I crashed today. WTF?!?!? I thought 29ers were better over rough stuff.

:-)
You Sucked today but you won't tomorrow
Old 10-11-09, 07:40 PM
skiahh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by born2bahick
Damn, Skiahh doesn't even ride mountain bikes regularly that I know of nor has she frequented this forum much in the past. But I gotta say she shows more intellect than most of the posters or Posuers in this thread.

It simple science, "for every action, there is an equal and oppisite reaction"
I've said it before and I'll say it again. It's a trade off!
You have to decide for yourself what's right for you, just don't tell me what's right for me, OK?
Erm, I've been riding MTBs for ~13 years now. I don't race, don't huck, don't boast... I just enjoy riding in the woods. And I'm a he (can't tell if you're attempting a flame or just missed that...). I just don't hang out much in here.

Originally Posted by Svr
Do you use the same tactic with the lesbians you meet? Example: "You just haven't met the right man yet?"
Oh, that's a good one. Is it the best you've got?
Old 10-11-09, 08:02 PM
DeweyJuice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You Sucked today but you won't tomorrow
I hope you are right. Sucking hurts!
Old 10-11-09, 09:01 PM
born2bahick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Erm, I've been riding MTBs for ~13 years now. I don't race, don't huck, don't boast... I just enjoy riding in the woods. And I'm a he (can't tell if you're attempting a flame or just missed that...). I just don't hang out much in here.
Sorry for the confusion, A name like Skiah,,,,,, well let's just move on, You don't hang out here cause you don't mountain bike regularly right?
I Don''t race, don't huck, damn sure don't boast,. ( cause I got nothing to boast about) but you seem to show a vivid interest in the MTB sub forum lately. Welcome
Old 10-11-09, 09:44 PM
skiahh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry for the confusion, A name like Skiah,,,,,, well let's just move on, You don't hang out here cause you don't mountain bike regularly right?
I Don''t race, don't huck, damn sure don't boast,. ( cause I got nothing to boast about) but you seem to show a vivid interest in the MTB sub forum lately. Welcome
skiahh is "downeast" for skier. As someone from Maine would pronounce it. I can't even imagine what you were thinking or attempting to imply.

I don't hang out here because of the quality of the posts in general. I moved to Foo because, well, may as well call it what it is. I used to, went to Foo... and guess I just have to remind myself from time to time why I don't hang out in here.
Old 10-12-09, 05:52 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Awesome!
People that say, "Awesome!" are awesome!
Old 10-12-09, 08:20 PM
born2bahick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr IGH
People that say, "Awesome!" are awesome!
Okay Now your just sucking up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.