Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Inner Tubes

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-16, 09:04 AM
TrailDogger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Inner Tubes

I have some inner tubes still in their boxes that have been on a shelf in the basement where I keep my bikes. They have been there about 5 years or so.
Question is how long do they last. I don't want to be out riding and have them with me and go to replace an inner tube because of a flat and they have gone bad one way or another. I know car tires have a date of manufacturer. I don't see anything on the boxes for the inner tubes with a date of manufacturer. Would like to be on the safe side.
Old 05-16-16, 09:21 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I don't know but the shelf life of inner tubes is certainly longer than 5 years. I've got some boxed inner tubes in my shop that are at least 15 years old. If I needed one that size tomorrow I'd grab one without concern.
Old 05-16-16, 09:35 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I bought the girlfriend a 1968 Schwinn Collegiate. The original tubes were still in it (marked with a production date), and they held air just fine.
Old 05-16-16, 09:38 AM
shafter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ditto the above. If they were kept out of sun or excessive temperature I wouldn't worry.
Old 05-16-16, 09:39 AM
techsensei

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would only be concerned about a tube that had been exposed to prolonged UV or ozone, but even then it would be obvious if the tube was good or not. As long as the rubber is supple with no cracking, I would not hesitate to use any old tube.
Old 05-16-16, 09:46 AM
ypsetihw

Bikes: s-1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thye last time I flipped a 50s scwhinn the original tubes held air perfectly even though the tires were rotted. I replaced them anyway because new tubes and rim strips came with the new tire set, but still, the old tubes were functional after over 60 years on the bike.
Old 05-16-16, 03:46 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
As long as they were in your basement away from sun & heat they should be OK. Being left outside, OTOH, will rot them quickly. 5 years is not too old for tubes as long as they don't appear cracked.

I remember when someone called me up offering a set of "brand new" tires for my pickup. I go to check them out and they were obviously not brand new, seeing as how there were plenty of tiny rocks in the tread, but had also been stored outside for some period of time. Needless to say I passed on the offer.