Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

29er Revolution Article & Review

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-09, 02:05 PM
Murphn8r

Bikes: Trek 4900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My LBS put out this interesting article about the history and benefits of the 29er. Thought some of you might find it interesting.

https://bicyclesportshop.com/page.cfm?pageId=1522
Old 09-04-09, 03:41 PM
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad

Bikes: Blur LT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmmmm, I can't find any benefits to a29r.
Old 09-04-09, 08:48 PM
zerocool33
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought my Fisher Rig the other day and have been out on it twice. I must say the ride is sweet! I'm not going to brag it up just because I have one, but it appears to be working for me just fine. I will say it is taking a bit to adjust to single speed, but that will just take time and many rides. As far as the 29" wheels go, I would say that I did find it a bit different in the handling area when dealing with technical and slow parts of trails. I will say that I feel like I'm floating on that bike. Part of it being able to use lower tire pressures and also probably the geometry of the bike. I would definitely buy another one, and probably will look at the new carbon Fisher single speed in a couple years.
Old 09-04-09, 10:40 PM
Dion Rides

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
After getting my MotoB Ti, I've decided that my 29'er will be my "camping bike". Heck, I may take it to the trails tomorrow. But it's so hard to go from that tank to my ultra quick, fast climbing, geared 26".

Old 09-05-09, 10:55 AM
skiahh

Bikes: 08 Stumpjumper FSR Expert, 02 Litespeed Tuscany, 04 Specialized S-Works Epic

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbiker66
Have you actually ridden one??

I just bought a niner HT. Now, I'm not a rabid "you gotta go niner" type, but I have found a couple of definite advantages.

1. Before I went FS, I was able to ride about an hour on my 26HT before by lower back cried uncle. I've been 2 1/2 hours on this one with no issues whatsoever.

2. Where I had, say, 2 lines through a tricky section before, I now have 3 or 4 because of the way the wheels roll over things.

3. Baby heads and loose boulders are easier.

4. Sand? I'm fairly big guy and sand would grab my front wheel no matter how I weighted (or unweighted) it. With the big wheels, I just roll through even the deepest sand with only minimal grabs of the front wheel.

5. I don't find it to be slower accelerating than my small wheels. Then again, I'm a slow rider, so probably wouldn't notice this anyway. I do climb faster now... but that might be the HT as much or more than the big wheels.

6. Switchbacks seem easier on the niner. Is it the enthusiasm of a new bike or the stability? Since the newness is wearing off and the switchbacks are still easier, I'm going with the stability.

7. I feel more a part of the bike than on my 26er. i felt this before I read about greater BB drops, placing you lower on/in the bike and effectively lowering your CG, but it makes sense and most definately makes it feel like I'm ore a part of the bike than just sitting on top of it.

Am I ready to ditch my SJ FSR for a 29er FS bike? No, not yet. But I will be testing out some FS niners to see if that may be the way to go for me. I haven't found anything yet that would be too tight or technical for a 29er with good geometry.

Give one a try, you might surprise yourself!!
Old 09-05-09, 05:40 PM
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad

Bikes: Blur LT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skiahh
Have you actually ridden one??

Give one a try, you might surprise yourself!!
No, I just thought I would throw that out there without ever being on one..........

Yes I've spent some time on more that one and I hated the freakin' things. I can see where they would be great to ride gravel roads but I'll take my small frame 26r for fun trail riding. So I guess I should rephrase that.... for me they would be OK on gravel roads.
Old 09-05-09, 06:06 PM
DeweyJuice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not everyone will like the same bike. Good thing we have alot of choices.
Old 09-05-09, 06:57 PM
Berg417448
Troublemaker

Bikes: Yes. The more the better.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbiker66

I feel the same way about 26ers. To each his own.
Old 09-05-09, 07:05 PM
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. Before I went FS, I was able to ride about an hour on my 26HT before by lower back cried uncle. I've been 2 1/2 hours on this one with no issues whatsoever.
That's a geometry problem with your 26" hardtail. A 26" hardtail that fit you wouldn't give you that problem.

6. Switchbacks seem easier on the niner. Is it the enthusiasm of a new bike or the stability? Since the newness is wearing off and the switchbacks are still easier, I'm going with the stability.
I haven't ridden a 29er, but I'm able to take much sharper turns on my 24" than my 26". I assumed it was because I was on a more agile bike with a shorter wheelbase. However, I would assume that the longer wheelbase on the 29er is what's giving you that added stability. Interesting.
Old 09-05-09, 07:53 PM
UBUvelo
astrositupataphysicyclist

Bikes: too many now

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
someone on the trail the other day had a 29 on the front...and a 26 on the back...

i have yet to try one, but i believe what's been said about the advantages. to me, the disadvantage is the weight and, heck, SIZE! i like the response of a 26...
Old 09-05-09, 10:00 PM
Dion Rides

When I run my 29'er whip, I feel it's not as flickable on the epic trails.

Booyah! - made a point and used overly-used forum phrases!

How's that feel? That's your head exploding.

Old 09-06-09, 09:27 AM
skiahh

Bikes: 08 Stumpjumper FSR Expert, 02 Litespeed Tuscany, 04 Specialized S-Works Epic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zephyr11
That's a geometry problem with your 26" hardtail. A 26" hardtail that fit you wouldn't give you that problem.
Well, that's possible. I was still pretty new, but did research on the bike before I bought it. Also, it wasn't a cramped, not feeling right back pain, but more that the trail vibrations felt like they were going right up the seat stays into my back.

A similar geometry FS solved the problem. Maybe i could have found a better fitting HT... I'm not sure. But this 29er is very, very comfortable.
Old 09-06-09, 09:32 AM
Darth_Firebolt
Pokemon Master

Bikes: All City Cosmic Stallion, Salsa Colossal, Surly Preamble, 1985 Schwinn High Sierra x3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Well, that's possible. I was still pretty new, but did research on the bike before I bought it. Also, it wasn't a cramped, not feeling right back pain, but more that the trail vibrations felt like they were going right up the seat stays into my back.

A similar geometry FS solved the problem. Maybe i could have found a better fitting HT... I'm not sure. But this 29er is very, very comfortable.
suspension seatpost?
Old 09-06-09, 10:38 AM
mcoine

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
7. I feel more a part of the bike than on my 26er. i felt this before I read about greater BB drops, placing you lower on/in the bike and effectively lowering your CG, but it makes sense and most definately makes it feel like I'm ore a part of the bike than just sitting on top of it.
29ers do not have a lower center of gravity.
Old 09-06-09, 03:50 PM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by UBUvelo
someone on the trail the other day had a 29 on the front...and a 26 on the back...
I'm waiting for a DH-able 650b rim so I can try my 650b/26 combo experiment.

Originally Posted by Dion Rides
When I run my 29'er whip, I feel it's not as flickable on the epic trails . . . .
Must . . . resist . . . urge to . . . BAN . . .this . . . user . . . ..
Old 09-06-09, 04:43 PM
FlatSix911

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Interesting article and I learned something new ... a 29er actually uses the 700c road bike wheel adapted to fit.

https://bicyclesportshop.com/page.cfm?pageId=1522

The "standard" off road sized wheel was 26" for years. It was adopted by the pioneers of modern, California style off roading as a reasonably tough, cheap, and conveniently available choice. The 26" wheel worked out alright from a standpoint of availability, price, and toughness, but the early California pioneers of the MTB didn't have a research lab to see what would make the optimum wheel size for off road adventures. They made their choice based on convenience and product availability.

The term "29er" was born in 2001 with the release of the first mass production big wheeled mountain bikes, Gary Fisher's "Two Niner." However, the concept of the big wheeled off-road bike traces back to the 1980's and the basic technology involved dates back even further. While some may think that a 29er involves a new rim size, it actually utilizes a 700c size rim. While this wheel size had been used on road bikes for decades, it took a number of innovations to make the 700c applicable to a true mountain bike.
Old 09-06-09, 05:33 PM
skiahh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcoine
29ers do not have a lower center of gravity.
Hmmm... maybe I didn't express it right.

Originally Posted by https://bicyclesportshop.com/page.cfm?pageId=1522
In addition, the rider on a 29ers wheel bike has a lower center of gravity in relationship to the wheel’s axle. Think of it as riding “in” the bike, instead of on top of the bike.
I guess that's a better way of putting it. It actually does make sense that a 29er wouldn't have an overall lower CG and in fact, with the bigger tires, it would be logical for it to be a bit higher or, if the geometry puts the rider lower on/in the bike, the same.
Old 09-06-09, 06:11 PM
Dion Rides

Originally Posted by dminor
Must . . . resist . . . urge to . . . BAN . . .this . . . user . . . ..
*tee hee*

I'm gonna take my big wheel out in a little bit. I know it's gonna suck compared to what I've been riding these past few weeks, but oh well.

Old 09-06-09, 07:56 PM
born2bahick
Official Website Waterboy

Bikes: a lot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm gonna ride with a guy this week on his 29er, he's in way better shape, and know's the subtle nuances in the trail way better than me. But, I'm pretty confident that I can roll anything he can roll, I can Climb anything he can climb, I can go down anything he can go down, and in the end i'll be right beside him when we reach the parking lot.
Does that make a 26 better? or a 29 better?
Old 09-06-09, 08:55 PM
Dion Rides

Alright, I'm back. After not riding that thing for a month, I feel I can give a fair assessment.

Here's the deal: full rigid (full riggie?), SS, cheapest 29'er on planet earth (MB Outcast 29'er), low-tech brakes, cheapo cheapo cheapo. Oh, and my grips were doing full 360's on my bars. I hate non-locking grips on MTB's. So set aside the lack of travel, lack of gears and slipping grips for a sec.

Now, I don't know if it's the efficiency on the SS, if it's all in my head, or I just had POWAH today, but the sucker seemed easy to ride, climbing and rolling was a little better. Standing up and climbing ruled and I can outright feel the difference in lower rolling resistance. It felt like I had a nice wind blowing from behind and pushing; it just rolled better.

The downside to the 29er is you really can't turn the thing as quickly as the 26" and I did test the "29'er ability to roll over things easier" and I can't really say there is a night and day difference... maybe because my 26" has a suspension fork and my 29'er is rigid.

Eventually I'd like to replace that frame with a Karate Monkey and a nice suspension fork, still keeping it a SS.

I don't think I'd replace my 26" with a heavier 29'er, but it sure is nice to have as a back-up or a change of pace. I liken it to riding my road bike and riding my fixed gear.

Old 09-06-09, 09:22 PM
johnnytheboy

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Berg417448
I feel the same way about 26ers. To each his own.
you see no benefits of a 26" bike?
seriously?
i guess no one else did either.....that's why they were the standard for 20+ years right....???!!!
Old 09-07-09, 04:05 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Having switched to a Niner EMD9 in May, I will never go back to small wheels again.

For my style of riding, the Niner corners and turns well enough - but the big wheels have ratcheted up my ability to clear technical sections by one or two whole notches. I can now easily clear stuff that would make me dab or go endo on a 26er. The only downside is that on steep extended climbs, I could use smaller gearing (I am talking a 30km ride up from 11,000 to 17,000ft, for example) - and the big wheels are notably harder to re-start if you stall on a slope.

V.
Old 09-07-09, 04:45 AM
scrublover
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?

Bikes: hardtail, squishy, fixed roadie, fixed crosser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They aren't for everyone.

https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=491856

Some like them, some don't. I ride with a couple people who love them, and a couple others like me who've tried them and disliked them. The 29er zealot types that try to push them on others and deride 26" stuff just seem like *******s to me, and would probably be so no matter what they ride. I don't get why they get all pissy about someone else not digging their wheel size.
Old 09-07-09, 07:03 AM
ed 

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think we should all "progress" to 24's with 2.6" tires.
Old 09-07-09, 07:03 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
I am not a mountain biker, but recently helped my son do the research on a bike for him. He's 6'1" and about 220 lbs. The shop we went to said a 29er would be a good bet for him. The reading we did said that they provide some of the benefits of a full suspension 26 bike with less complexity at a lower weight because of the longer wheelbase and larger diameter wheels. The wheels also provide for better stability and traction because of higher angular momentum and footprint. The drawbacks are higher weight and slower turning compared for a front-suspension-only 26.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.