Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

My New Steel Build

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

My New Steel Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-16, 03:04 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My New Steel Build

I finally completed my new steel build out.
It has taken awhile to accumulate the parts but it is complete and tested but not fitted yet.
Kona Hon_ey Tonk Frame (New)
Shimano 6800 Complete Groupset (New)
Axis 2.0 Wheels (Craigs list purchase from a guy who took them off his new bike)
Ritchey Bars, Headset, and seat post (Spares from my garage)
Brooks saddle. (New)
Shimano 105 pedals (Spares from my garage)
Fizik wrap (spare from my garage)
Race Face stem (spare from my garage)
Bontrager Bottle Holders (Xmass gift)
Vittoria Tires (from my garage)

Ok, the pink and green does not quite go well. I had the wrap in my garage so I used it. I needed bottle cages so my son bought me those for Christmas. I was not sure about the Axis rims but for $75 it was worth a shot. I am quite surprised. The bike is very smooth and quiet. Not much road noise at all. My regular bike is equipped with Campy Athena so the shifting will take some getting used to but the 6800 is quite nice. I do not like the size of the hoods but for the $250 I paid for the entire groupset I can't complain. The Brooks saddle is the real surprise. I was going to put on a Prologo like my other bike to be safe but I always wanted to try a Brooks out. It is the most comfortable saddle that I have even sat on right out of the box. I have 2 45 mile rides in and probably 8 10 miles rides on it with no issues. I may put the same saddle on my Colnago it is so comfy (Very heavy though so I doubt it).
I have to lock in the fit because as it sits now, I feel a little more pressure than I would like on my palms. The bike is definitely not as quick as my Colnago but it is very smooth. I have not had time to go longer than 45 miles yet but I am sure that it is conditioned to do so, or at least as conditioned as any other bike that I ride
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20161231_154429.jpg (97.9 KB, 452 views)
Old 12-31-16, 03:09 PM
Wittyname
Some Guy on the Road

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot, Trek Domane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Holy spacers, Batman!

I like the green and pink, though
Old 12-31-16, 05:13 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am so envious of that green frame! The screen image doesn't do justice to the color. The shop in the city that I used to frequent has one built up. If I didn't already have a steel bike, I'd have snagged it so fast...
Old 12-31-16, 05:14 PM
zatopek

Bikes: Neilpryde Nazare, Storck Scenero G3, Colnago Extreme Power, CAAD 10, Bowman Palace R, Strong Custom Foco Steel, BMC SLR01, BMC ALR01

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 53 Posts
Nice work, even though I am not a fan of pink.
Old 12-31-16, 05:28 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Wait, you paid $250 for the 6800? How'd you manage that?

I like the green. Not a fan of the pink. Nice build nonetheless.

I have a set of Axis 2.0 wheels on my commuter with studs on them at the moment. They're quite robust.
Old 12-31-16, 06:45 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Dy-no-mite!

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 12-31-16, 07:12 PM
FeltF2Tarmac
Woman make me faster

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 Di2 2018 Tarmac Comp Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I like it, right down to the pink. Looks like a fun build.
Old 12-31-16, 07:16 PM
sumgy

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 58 Posts
Is that fork the right way around?
Looks a bit weird.
Are you a massive guy, or is it just that you haven't cut the steerer etc?
If you are very tall, I will be surprised if you can get that saddle back far enough. The rails on those Brooks are stupidly short.
Old 12-31-16, 07:34 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
I'll apologize in advance for sounding so negative... but I don't think I'm the only one who thinks the geometry looks very "off" on this one. The frame looks all out of proportion, the head tube and top tube, fork... it's just looks funny to me.

I'm not surprised you're feeling pressure on your hands. The brifters look way too high, and the distance between the saddle and bars looks too short. Those things can be adjusted for; however, the frame is the frame...

But at that price, you got a steal on the groupset. Nice work! And if it works for you as a rider, then even better!
Old 12-31-16, 07:40 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Love the green frame. I'd be looking to tilt those handlebars at least ten degrees clockwise for a better platform for my hands and to make the drops usable. The current bar tilt just looks bad but I know some people like them that way. Clearly we are looking at a cyclist far taller than most but with a fairly short inseam, and perhaps short arms. This not being his first bike I have to assume he knows what fits and how to get there, but I'll agree that the proportions are not
typical.
Old 12-31-16, 07:46 PM
sumgy

To add my 10c worth.
I agree that the bars are stet up poorly and as a result the levers are in the wrong position.
The stem seems too high and as a due to that Brooks with it's short rails you are sitting too far forward.
I would expect to hear you have sore hands (which you do) from the bars being so raised and also pushing yourself back on the saddle. I would also think you will have sore quads from sitting so far forward. Moving back and lowering your bar would potentially solve both of these issues.
Old 01-01-17, 12:36 AM
Shuffleman

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sumgy
To add my 10c worth.
I agree that the bars are stet up poorly and as a result the levers are in the wrong position.
The stem seems too high and as a due to that Brooks with it's short rails you are sitting too far forward.
I would expect to hear you have sore hands (which you do) from the bars being so raised and also pushing yourself back on the saddle. I would also think you will have sore quads from sitting so far forward. Moving back and lowering your bar would potentially solve both of these issues.
I do find myself pushing back on the saddle. I have no doubt the fit is off as that is not necessarily my forte. I am 6'02 so yes I am taller than most riders. My goal was to build it and ride it a few times before getting a fitting. The bike will not take over for my Colnago but it is still a sweet ride. I love the green frame. As for the spacers, they are here but they will be dealt with after I find time for a sitting.
Old 01-01-17, 01:06 AM
sumgy

I am the same height.
My setup is very different to your own.
Old 01-01-17, 01:07 AM
sumgy

Are you sure that fork is the right way around?
Old 01-01-17, 03:55 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Nice build up, and glad you like the steel! Those wheels, the larger tires, and the steel frame make for a smooth and quiet ride, indeed. Those B-17s are nice saddles right out of the box. The fitment will take a little time, as it always seems to with frame-up builds, but you're on the right track and I agree with your mindset. The saddle is tilted up like most of us do. The brifters are at a fine angle and align with one's 'hand angle' (my unofficial term) when it is swung forward. I tilt my brifters up a few degrees from horizontal as well, though not as much as you have here.

As for hand pressure, with that saddle height to handlebar height relationship (fairly close), going from my own experience with the numerous builds I've done with regard to how I ride (pleasure, commute, able to go fast in any case), I would try to reduce the overall reach from where you sit. Your saddle to bottom bracket setback distance looks solid (I am 6'5"), so the remaining variables are the stem length and handlebar reach. The easiest (and generally cheapest) way is to mount a shorter stem, as we are aware. The next step would be to go to a compact road handlebar setup (short 'n' shallow) where it will have mostly the same side profile as you have here, but won't extend as far forward (before turning down and back). I wonder what 20mm less of stem length would do in the hunt for the Goldilocks position..

And I say this as 1) modern bikes seem to love to have us hanging out over the front axle--where if we were to drop a plumb bob from the front-most part of our hands when holding onto the brifters, it would be ahead of the front axle--and I have found the steering motions (esp. out of the saddle) a little odd/not to my preference, so hands being on or preferably a little behind the axle feels noticeably better 2) when saddle and bar heights are close, we don't 'need' as much reach to be comfortable and having less reach can put us 'back' on the saddle, with less weight on our hands. I know I don't want to imitate an arch with both my butt and hands equally supporting my full upper body--I'd rather be more of a, say, cathedral with my butt, torso, and head being the building, and my hands and arms being the flying buttresses.

In all of this, of course, is your decision and you have a plan of action with a good bit of riding done already. Best of luck with it as a bike that fits well encourages us to ride it and to ride in general!
Old 01-01-17, 07:53 AM
Shuffleman

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sumgy
Are you sure that fork is the right way around?
Lol. It is correct. It is probably the angle of the picture. The brifters look funny in the pic. I am wondering if it's not the angle of the pic as well as I don't recall that being the case. Either way, I will lock in the fit over the next week or two.
I have to admit that I am impressed with steel. It's not going to take over my carbon ride but it is sweet in its own way. Originally this bike was to be a budget ride that I would take with me as I travel for work. I broke the budget some but it was worth it. I will ride this when I am on the road during the week and my regular bike on the weekends.
I have a bag and light but still need a cyclometer although I am flirting on going without one. It's been nice riding without one so I may stay that way
Old 01-01-17, 10:02 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
That pink and green is so 60s preppy girl's school. You'll have old women stopping you on the street!
Old 01-01-17, 10:23 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Anyone that does a steel build is alright with me, regardless.
You have found the way... Brooks saddle on a steel ride.
Others can ride their plastic and wear diaper shorts.
You would need a mint green to go with that pink tape.
Old 01-01-17, 10:37 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Very nice. I like the color combinations. I wouldn't choose pink for my bike, but it looks great with your green frame.

As far as fit, that is very personal. If your other bike fits well, take measurements of all the contact points and try to replicate as close as possible. The relationship of saddle to crank center is a key one, as well as distance from saddle to handlebar. Personally, I would opt for a riser stem of the proper length with fewer spacers rather than your setup. I do not like big stacks of spacers.
Old 01-01-17, 10:48 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
With that green.. I think orange might be complementary.. Eg. the below bar tape and cages:

Old 01-01-17, 11:23 AM
smurfy

Bikes: Classic lugged-steel road, touring, shopping, semi-recumbent, gravel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 32 Posts
The green and pink go very well on this bike.
Old 01-01-17, 11:44 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
To all questioning the fork - it is a straight blade fork. There is an optical illusion making it look bent back a bit because of the two spokes on either side of the fork. It is indeed straight - you can draw a straight line parallel to the fork blades.

I think the color scheme works well with the pink and green. Looks like a really fun bike.
Old 01-01-17, 01:23 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7650 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 1,833 Posts
Looks like you have room to move the saddle back if you need to ... or you could get a 30mm setback post. To me, the reach looks long. I'd probably lose a couple spacers and go to a 90mm 6- or 7-degree stem, angled up.

I have 6800, and I don't like the shape of the hoods either, because I (like you) have big hands--I liked the bigger, bulkier Shimano brifters which all the small- and normal-hands (shorter) people in the world dislike. Still, they work really well.

I don't like the pink tape, but who cares? A.) it is just bar tape, and B.) everyone likes something else. if ti works for you, ride the sucker.

Seeing this, I am now wanting to ride my Raleigh, which is laid up with chainring ills. So, thanks for ruining my day by posting this nice bike.

If you ever get tired of it, it looks to be about my size ...

Looks like a comfortable ride
Old 01-01-17, 07:03 PM
Shuffleman

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
That pink and green is so 60s preppy girl's school. You'll have old women stopping you on the street!
The only compliments that I have gotten have been from two female riders that saw it. You may be on to something. One said that it looked like a Lily Pulitzer bike. Now that I think of it, this may or may not have been a compliment.

I went out and looked at the way that I set up the bars and it is not a result of the picture angle. Originally, I had the stem facing up. I took it off and reversed it. I must not have been paying attention when I put the bars back on. I will correct that. As for the spacers, I will leave them until I get an actual fitting done.
My original goal was to buy an old steel frame and have it sand blasted and powder coated. I was then going to part it out with Campy and any other parts that I had laying around. I had trouble finding a frame for what I thought was reasonable and in my size. Once I saw the Kona I fell in love with the color and found a local shop that deals in them. He ordered the frame in my size and the rest is history.
I almost ordered a green Brooks saddle. I changed my mind at the last minute as I thought that it may be over the top ugly. I think that was a good call as the bike and saddle look good together.
Old 01-01-17, 09:13 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
Originally Posted by Shuffleman
The only compliments that I have gotten have been from two female riders that saw it. You may be on to something. One said that it looked like a Lily Pulitzer bike. Now that I think of it, this may or may not have been a compliment.
Next time, tell them you are a Sweet Briar college alumna.

Last edited by shelbyfv; 01-02-17 at 05:53 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.