Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Specialized Allez vs. Cannondale CAAD8

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-17, 07:16 PM
rocknpop

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys,
This is my first real post. Unfortunately, I had my bike stolen recently, and I am looking to replace what I had, a 2013 Specialized Allez (entry level), with a like-type bike.

My two options to stay as close to $800 are:
1) 2016 Cannondale CAAD8 Claris 8
2) 2017 Specialized Allez

I understand that the best recommendation is to ride both, and I rode the Cannondale. It didn't seem too different from my '13 Allez other than this:
- downshifting seemed much clunkier/noisier
- the steering seemed a bit more responsive (or jerkier depending on how you want to see it)
- when not pedaling, the Cannondale makes the typical ticking noise (the '13 Specialized didn't)

With this said, is there a material difference between these two companies and considering they have like-type components, can you guys help me decide how to choose between these? If you have an opinion on it, I would also love to hear it.
Old 06-28-17, 08:23 PM
Gunfunk

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These two bikes will be more similar than different, so really as you mention, it comes down to which one you prefer. Things like the shape of the handlebars may change so consider this and which style u prefer.

As for your questions, I understand that they both have the same drivetrain and shifters, so I would not put so much weight in your downshifting observation. If you liked the handling on the cannondale, go for it. As for the clicking noise, I am unsure why some bikes do this.

Find the specialized and ride it, if it felt better better than the cannondale, buy it, if not go back and buy the cannondale.
Old 06-29-17, 06:57 AM
rocknpop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the input. Anything brand related that I should be aware of?
Old 06-29-17, 08:04 AM
cycledogg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Cannondale without a doubt.
Old 06-29-17, 08:25 AM
rocknpop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cycledogg
Thanks for the input cycledogg. Do you mind expanding on your recommendation? Anything specific that makes you recommend Cannondale?
Old 06-29-17, 08:46 AM
cycledogg

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by rocknpop
Thanks for the input cycledogg. Do you mind expanding on your recommendation? Anything specific that makes you recommend Cannondale?
It's really a Ford vs. Chevy thing. Since I have been riding Cannondale since 1999, I'm a Cannondale guy. I like the style of Cannondale frames over most other bikes on the market. The frames are well made and they seem to have more innovated ideas when it comes to bikes. Cannondale bikes do not make a typical ticking noise. If the shifting felt clunckie, it was not the frame, it was the group used on it. Wheels, shifters, brakes, cranks, etc. all can be had on most any frame. Ride them both and see which one feels right to you.

Last edited by cycledogg; 06-29-17 at 08:51 AM.
Old 06-29-17, 09:05 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Both bikes are proven performers form reputable companies. Ride them and see which you prefer. The ticking noise is from the freehub. Some are crazy loud, like my Mavics, and some are super quiet.
Old 06-29-17, 09:40 AM
bunkiefd4

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like you've made your mind up between those two. Which are awesome bikes. I recently picked up a Giant Contend 1, I'm very very impressed with it. The frame is lite, built well and for $810 it comes with Sora components. Just take a look at the Contend 1 and see what you think.
Old 06-29-17, 09:47 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
OP, how about a used bike? I saw some nice ones on craigslist.org in my area at or below $800: Specialized Allez Elite, Scott Speedster S10, Trek Madone 5.2 WSD, Look 586, CAAD 8 w/ Dura-Ace 10spd, etc...

Last edited by ptempel; 06-29-17 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-29-17, 10:25 AM
rocknpop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ptempel
OP, how about a used bike? I saw some nice ones on craigslist.org in my area at or below $800: Specialized Allez Elite, Scott Speedster S10, Trek Madone 5.2 WSD, Look 586, CAAD 8 w/ Dura-Ace 10spd, etc...
I did look into used bikes, and would consider them, however, there are no size 60-61 road bikes in Chicago, under $900 for sale right now.
Old 06-29-17, 12:52 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Thanks for the input. Anything brand related that I should be aware of?
Both are excellent bikes. The CAAD frames have a long reputation of being the "best" or among the best of aluminum frames. But the Allez is an excellent frame too.

You should go by feel - general handling, handlebars, saddle, etc. but only if you don't plan to replace those things with your preferred ones. Saddles are something people often replace routinely, so keep that in mind. But if you like one saddle and not the other, that's important to consider

Wheel noise- clicking is the ratcheting of the freehub and is normal, and also the most common. Silent freehubs are the exception not the rule. In fact, some riders prefer a loud freehub since historically, some of the higher quality hubs were loud. I personally don't care either way and encourage you to put that at the bottom of the list for factors, below everything including aesthetics (color, wheel decals, frame shape, etc.)

If fit, handling, comfort factors are relatively equal, choose the one you like the looks of best. That's a perfectly valid factor.

You have two good choices - no bad decision is possible.
Old 06-29-17, 01:59 PM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized, it's a no-brainer.
Old 06-29-17, 02:10 PM
Succhia Ruota
in bagnomaria

Bikes: N+3 dependents

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts

Old 06-29-17, 02:48 PM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
OP, I'd keep your options open and add these two your shopping list:

Trek 1.2
Giant Defy 3

I saw them and a few others in this under $1000 bike review:

Best road bikes under $1000 - BikeRadar USA
Old 06-29-17, 07:08 PM
jordanair45
Banned.

Bikes: 16' SS Hi-Mod, 15' CAAD12

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Tuff to beat the allez package. Better components. Carbon fork. E5 frame is good.

Caad 8 is an oldie, would pick up one used with a better groupset. Comes with lesser components.

Whenever one feels more comfortable to you. Hopefully it's the allze. But with the caad I'd upgrade front and rear mech and brakes for sure
Old 06-30-17, 07:34 AM
rocknpop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jordanair45
Tuff to beat the allez package. Better components. Carbon fork. E5 frame is good.

Caad 8 is an oldie, would pick up one used with a better groupset. Comes with lesser components.

Whenever one feels more comfortable to you. Hopefully it's the allze. But with the caad I'd upgrade front and rear mech and brakes for sure
Thanks for your response. That's the type of feedback I was hoping to get. Do you mind outlining which are the lesser components on the CAAD8?
Old 06-30-17, 07:44 AM
jordanair45
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for your response. That's the type of feedback I was hoping to get. Do you mind outlining which are the lesser components on the CAAD8?
Nevermind just went back to look at both. The 2 bikes are identical. At this point it's what frame you feel most comfortable on and which is lighter. Because they come with same total package just frames are different.
Old 06-30-17, 08:03 AM
rocknpop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nevermind just went back to look at both. The 2 bikes are identical. At this point it's what frame you feel most comfortable on and which is lighter. Because they come with same total package just frames are different.
Got it. You mentioned the Cannondale having an older frame, can you expand on that?
Old 06-30-17, 10:28 AM
Bathwater

Location: In my car with my Garmin, stealing all your Strava KOMs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got it. You mentioned the Cannondale having an older frame, can you expand on that?
The CAAD8 design is several generations old (the newest iteration being the CAAD12).
Old 06-30-17, 10:42 AM
jordanair45
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

https://youtu.be/yP66s98X_-Q
Old 06-30-17, 12:34 PM
rocknpop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://youtu.be/yP66s98X_-Q
Thanks for this. Good review of the level up of what I'm considering. Sounds like Cannondale is famous for comfort and lightweight when compared to Specialized at this level. Everything else seems marginal.
Old 06-30-17, 02:41 PM
Camilo

Thanks for this. Good review of the level up of what I'm considering. Sounds like Cannondale is famous for comfort and lightweight when compared to Specialized at this level. Everything else seems marginal.
Dont forget color and general appeal to your emotions. If you really did a bike you'll ride it more, imho. Of course that applies in double spades to one that you really feel comfortable on.

You can't lose, don't overthink it at this point. Buy one and wear out its tires!
Old 06-30-17, 05:38 PM
rocknpop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, guys! I made a decision. I tried both of them again today.

Here are the defining factors:
- Cannondale felt slightly better, better defined as longer reach
- Specialized looked better (all satin vs. Cannondale black gloss with sticker-like "8" design)
- Price: Cannnondale $811 (after discounts out the door); Specialized $661 (after 20% off, out the door)
- The more defining of these factors, however, was the sales person. Without exposing the shops, all I will say is that the Specialized sales guy was a true gentleman who addressed each of my questions like a professional. The Cannondale shop guy acted in an arrogant way, borderline-car-salesman, which was a huge turnoff.

With that said, I will go get fitted to get the Specialized to ride as optimally as possible (perhaps a 120mm stem and a drop of the front bar).

Thank you guys for your input. Very valuable. Happy to be part of this community.
Old 07-06-17, 05:35 PM
Camilo

Thanks, guys! I made a decision. I tried both of them again today.

Here are the defining factors:
- Cannondale felt slightly better, better defined as longer reach
- Specialized looked better (all satin vs. Cannondale black gloss with sticker-like "8" design)
- Price: Cannnondale $811 (after discounts out the door); Specialized $661 (after 20% off, out the door)
- The more defining of these factors, however, was the sales person. Without exposing the shops, all I will say is that the Specialized sales guy was a true gentleman who addressed each of my questions like a professional. The Cannondale shop guy acted in an arrogant way, borderline-car-salesman, which was a huge turnoff.

With that said, I will go get fitted to get the Specialized to ride as optimally as possible (perhaps a 120mm stem and a drop of the front bar).

Thank you guys for your input. Very valuable. Happy to be part of this community.
Excellent choice (spoken as a sort of Cannondale guy). Your decision points were exactly the right ones. People always say "ride the bike and choose the one that feels the best". But you were smart enough to know that the Spec. could be fitted to you to feel as good as the Cannondale.

Better aesthetics, better sales staff, better price. Have fun!