Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

BB86 GXP mis-represented as BB86

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-10-17, 11:44 PM
Jay_Dubbya

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey, I'm new here, and I'm hoping to get some outside perspective on how I should approach an issue I ran into today.

I ordered a Fuji Sportif 1.0 from Performance Bike (sorry I can't post hyperlinks yet: but it's item # 31-6807 at perf bike). In the specs it says the bottom bracket is a BB86 and the crankset has 24mm spindles.

I intend to put a Stages power meter onto the bike, so I also ordered a Shimano 105 5800 crankset to replace the Oval (brand, not shape) crankset that comes with the bike. I have done all of this before they received/assembled the bike on the hope that they might give me a slight break on the crankset installation price since the bike would already be in the stand for initial assembly and in order to keep the Oval crankset unused.

As they started assembly they called to tell me the crankset wasn't compatible with the BB. This came as a surprise to me since all the data on the bike said BB86 with the crank having 24mm spindles, which should be a straight swap for a hollowtech crankset as far as I know. Before I did any of the ordering I tried to find specific data on the "Oval 300" crankset online, but I couldn't find any.

I went into the shop to figure out what the deal was and when I asked: "why wouldn't the 105 fit, the bike has a BB86 right?" They said yes, but it's a BB86 GXP with 24-22mm bearings . I wasn't knowledgeable enough at the time to push back or ask too many more intelligent questions, so I just went with with the flow and ordered the $30 BB86 to make everything work. The BB installation will also cost me an extra $10 over just the crankset installation too, so overall this mix-up will cost me $40.

Long story short, should I push back on any of the costs since all the data from Performance Bike shows the bike having a BB86 bottom bracket and not a GXP bottom bracket? Or is this just a totally innocent/understandable mixup on their part? I honestly am pretty annoyed with the situation; not because of the money, but because even now that I'm looking back, I have no idea how I could have possibly known it was a GXP bottom bracket based on the info that is out there. I haven't found one piece of data online to suggest that it has a GXP, so it seems like to me (granted, I'm a total biking newb) that this is purely Performance Bike's fault. And am I crazy to think that the bottom bracket spec is a pretty critical piece of data when buying a bike, so it should probably be represented correctly? I mean, very often it's the top-listed item on a spec sheet (including at performance bike).

Any insight/opinion?

Thanks!
Old 08-11-17, 12:42 AM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
BB86 is just the spec for the BB shell in the frame, it does not indicate what BB has been installed in it.
I do not think the Shop has done anything wrong.
Only if they had said beforehand that it had a Shimano BB would it be their fault.
Old 08-11-17, 01:02 AM
Fiery

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
It would have been nice if you'd known in advance you needed to order the BB as well, but you'd still have had to pay for it plus the installation. I agree with what Dean V said too, the BB shell spec has been correctly specified, but what BB has been installed depends on the crankset that comes with it. Unfortunately, Fuji doesn't really make it abundantly clear that their Oval Concepts cranksets use GXP standard bottom brackets, but it's also not impossible to find this information if you research a little. Bottom line: you need to be extra diligent when working with OEM parts since full specifications can be hard to find.
Old 08-11-17, 02:08 AM
Jay_Dubbya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback.

I certainly tried to execute some due diligence, but as far as I can tell there is literally no reasonably accessible data on the Oval Concepts 300 crankset. I still can't find anything without assuming the Oval 520 is the same standard as the Oval 300. I'd definitely be interested to see if anyone else could dig anything up.

I guess I can concede the BB86 vs BB86 GXP being an understandable omission (though I still think it's ridiculous... why even bother specifying it as BB86 if I can't draw any logical conclusions from it?)

But what about the fact that they say the crank spindle is 24mm? If it's a GXP, wouldn't that mean the spindle is 24/22mm, not 24mm? Or is this pretty analogous to the BB situation above in your guys's opinion?

It's not like this is the hugest deal. I'll be just fine moving on. It's just frustrating because if I had known I had a GXP, I would have gone for a Quarq PM instead of sinking all this cash into setting up for Stages.
Old 08-11-17, 02:20 AM
Jay_Dubbya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
edit: double post

Last edited by Jay_Dubbya; 08-11-17 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-11-17, 05:28 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
We really can't speculate tho would have been nice to have this detail therefore take it up with them and see if they will compensate you for lack of description. All you can do is pitch your case to them.

Where are you ordering your Stages PM from? Thruthfully, BB type as cheap as they are shouldn't be a driver of what PM you choose which is a much bigger deal. Shimano cranks are the best and beauty of the Stages PM is you can swap it to different bikes if you run Shimano cranks on all.
Old 08-11-17, 05:41 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
All of us who modify bike specifications to suit our needs and taste have run into similar issues, and more so if we build a frame from scratch. It is simply the nature of the beast. I would just chalk it up to "education'. The cost difference is negligible, and no one has done anything wrong. Don't sweat it.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 08-11-17, 11:16 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay_Dubbya
But what about the fact that they say the crank spindle is 24mm? If it's a GXP, wouldn't that mean the spindle is 24/22mm, not 24mm? Or is this pretty analogous to the BB situation above in your guys's opinion?
It's a 24mm spindle. The alternative would be a 30mm spindle. That the spindle tapers to 22 at the end doesn't alter the nomenclature used by manufacturers to distinguish whether its 24 or 30.
Old 08-12-17, 09:07 PM
fa63

Bikes: A couple

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The bottom bracket shell is BB86. Then, there is an adapter to allow using the Oval crankset. Oval cranksets use the GXP spindle design (this is not really common knowledge, but it is also not a secret; the info is out there when you look for it), which tapers from 24 mm on the drive side to 22 mm on the non-drive side. Shimano cranksets use a constant 24 mm diameter spindle. So you cannot run a Shimano crankset with the BB adapter that came stock with your bike. You need to get a new adapter to fit your Shimano crankset, as Performance Bikes has already informed you.

Here is what I use to eliminate the possibility of creaking:

BB86/92 Thread Together Angular Contact BB for 24mm (Shimano) Cranks

Last edited by fa63; 08-12-17 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-13-17, 06:02 PM
ClickClickBoom

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's Performance. Complain and they will give you the bottom bracket and labor. I've seen them take back a 10 year old bike at original purchase price.