Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Researching a Mountain Bike For Small Female

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Researching a Mountain Bike For Small Female

Old 08-30-17, 09:29 AM
rasheed
mmm babaghanouj.

Bikes: 2003 norco fluid 3.0, 2016 Intense Tracer 275C Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by twodownzero
The bigger wheels might have some minimal performance advantages, but at the expense of geometry compromises or fit, no way.
29ers have come quite a ways in terms of geometry and fit since the days Gary Fisher was trying to get the mountain bike world to jump on his 29er bandwagon back in the 90s and early 2000s.

As I mentioned in an early post to this thread, Emily Batty races on 29ers from time to time and she's shorter than you. Likewise, Tracey Moseley who's a tad over 5'4" raced a 29er while she was dominating the EWS.
Old 08-30-17, 09:41 AM
twodownzero

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Ribble Nero Corsa, Surly Karate Monkey, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Cannondale MT800, Evil Insurgent

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rasheed
29ers have come quite a ways in terms of geometry and fit since the days Gary Fisher was trying to get the mountain bike world to jump on his 29er bandwagon back in the 90s and early 2000s.

As I mentioned in an early post to this thread, Emily Batty races on 29ers from time to time and she's shorter than you. Likewise, Tracey Moseley who's a tad over 5'4" raced a 29er while she was dominating the EWS.
This mentality pervades our entire hobby. If a race conditioned super cyclist can ride a 29er, why can't I? If tour riders ride bicycles with insane drop, why can't I fit in that position?

That's like asking why John Force can pilot a funny car and I couldn't. The answer is that these people are the best on earth. It doesn't follow that what they use is the best for everyone. Ask any golfer if they'd want to use Tiger Woods's clubs or tennis player if they want to use Roger Federer's racket. If they know what they're talking about, they'll tell you no, because they are not professional players and their technique isn't well suited to professional equipment.

I don't know who Tracey Moseley is, but I bet she'd be a rocket on any bike. She rides what she's paid to ride. In whatever kind of racing she does, a longer contact patch and larger diameter might be such a benefit that it overcomes the weight difference and geometry compromises. Her technique might be so perfect that toe overlap is never a concern to her. I cannot speak for her. I can say that if I were her, I would not be riding a bicycle with 29" wheels unless I absolutely could not be competitive on anything else (this is, of course, assuming I wanted to be competitive at all).

This type of thinking exists in every sport. It is a total non-sequitor to point out what the pros use. Racing breeds technological changes that trickle down and they are good for all of us. But it doesn't follow that everything used in racing is ideal for the amateur recreational cyclist. In many cases, it isn't.

29ers still have wheels that are taller than other bicycles and that is a physical reality. Maybe the frames have been adjusted over time, but the only way a small bike is going to fit a small rider like the bigger frames fit the bigger riders is to have smaller wheels. That doesn't mean these compromises can't be overcome, but if a 29er's geometry was ideal for a 5'4" rider, by your logic, someone should invent a 31er for a 6' rider. And that isn't going to happen, for reasons explained above.
Old 08-30-17, 09:48 AM
rasheed
mmm babaghanouj.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Toe overlap, steeper seat angles, increased weight when the rider is already smaller to begin with.
Can't think of any instances where I've seen toe overlap being an issue with modern mountain bikes, 29er or otherwise.

With the current "lower, longer, slacker" we see in mountain biking, especially with the trail, all mountain and enduro categories, I don't see how steeper seat angles is a problem. Transition Bikes's 2018 line up with their "SBG" design concept is sporting seat tube angles as steep as 78°.
Old 08-30-17, 09:55 AM
rasheed
mmm babaghanouj.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's like asking why John Force can pilot a funny car and I couldn't. The answer is that these people are the best on earth. It doesn't follow that what they use is the best for everyone.
We're talking about bike geometry and fit. What do skill and athletic ability have to do with anything? We're talking body types. You said 29ers aren't a good fit for smaller riders. I gave you two examples of smaller female riders who have no issues with riding 29ers. If geometry and fit were a problem for them, they wouldn't be getting the results they do.

I don't know who Tracey Moseley is, but I bet she'd be a rocket on any bike. She rides what she's paid to ride.
While true to some extent, the ultimate deciding factor for what she's going to ride is what's going to get her wins. Moseley rides for Trek, a company that offers enduro bikes in both 650b and 29". She's going to race on whatever's going to get her the best times and results.

Last edited by rasheed; 08-30-17 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-30-17, 09:57 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Lots of short people ride 29ers. Lots of people of every height ride 27.5. No one rides 26 unless they're stuck with it. Or juniors.
Old 08-30-17, 10:45 AM
rasheed
mmm babaghanouj.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not to prolong this, but ...

Riding skill and athletic ability notwithstanding. Here are images of Tracy Moseley and Emily Batty and their 29ers.

Emily Batty (5'3") and her Trek Superfly (from 2014 ... assuming the frame is 15.5" since it's not mentioned in the article, but is the frame size she usually rides).

Source: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/emily-...world-cup.html

Tracy Moseley (5'4") and her Trek Remedy (from 2015. She rides a medium frame (17.5")):

Source: Pro bikes: Tracy Moseley and Justin Leov?s Remedy 29ers - BikeRadar
Old 08-30-17, 02:16 PM
FrozenK

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This mentality pervades our entire hobby. If a race conditioned super cyclist can ride a 29er, why can't I? If tour riders ride bicycles with insane drop, why can't I fit in that position?

That's like asking why John Force can pilot a funny car and I couldn't. The answer is that these people are the best on earth. It doesn't follow that what they use is the best for everyone. Ask any golfer if they'd want to use Tiger Woods's clubs or tennis player if they want to use Roger Federer's racket. If they know what they're talking about, they'll tell you no, because they are not professional players and their technique isn't well suited to professional equipment.

I don't know who Tracey Moseley is, but I bet she'd be a rocket on any bike. She rides what she's paid to ride. In whatever kind of racing she does, a longer contact patch and larger diameter might be such a benefit that it overcomes the weight difference and geometry compromises. Her technique might be so perfect that toe overlap is never a concern to her. I cannot speak for her. I can say that if I were her, I would not be riding a bicycle with 29" wheels unless I absolutely could not be competitive on anything else (this is, of course, assuming I wanted to be competitive at all).

This type of thinking exists in every sport. It is a total non-sequitor to point out what the pros use. Racing breeds technological changes that trickle down and they are good for all of us. But it doesn't follow that everything used in racing is ideal for the amateur recreational cyclist. In many cases, it isn't.

29ers still have wheels that are taller than other bicycles and that is a physical reality. Maybe the frames have been adjusted over time, but the only way a small bike is going to fit a small rider like the bigger frames fit the bigger riders is to have smaller wheels. That doesn't mean these compromises can't be overcome, but if a 29er's geometry was ideal for a 5'4" rider, by your logic, someone should invent a 31er for a 6' rider. And that isn't going to happen, for reasons explained above.
The reason why nobody is "inventing" a 31er is the same reason why a 5'4" rider may chose a 29r: there is more to wheel size than fit.
Old 08-30-17, 02:54 PM
twodownzero

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Ribble Nero Corsa, Surly Karate Monkey, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Cannondale MT800, Evil Insurgent

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chemtrailsnifer
That's actually really cool.
Old 09-04-17, 07:55 PM
ValerieJ

Bikes: 1984 Pink Colnago Superissimo, 2017 Orbea Oiz M-20

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you, all. I love being witness to this healthy debate on tire size. While the tech jargon is way above my my head, I have learned many things from all of your posts.

3 of which are:
1) Petites can excel on 29s
2) a woman named EMILY BATTY exists - and she is SUPER COOL !
3) ORBEA BIKES will be my next research project.

I test road a Liv bike at our local Giant shop and the only floor model they had was a small Hail 27.5. This felt like it was enough bike for me. 5'-3" seems to be a borderline height (between XS and S). The problem is that local shops don't carry the bikes and the sizes I am interested in trying and comparing. So . . . the Search continues.

I will be researching Orbea bikes . . . they look great on paper. Great components and great weight too. Thank you for the suggestion.
Old 09-05-17, 07:51 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Toe overlap, steeper seat angles, increased weight when the rider is already smaller to begin with.

Look at the geometry chart for any bicycle, mtb, road, hybrid, or otherwise with 700c wheels. The smaller sizes all make geometry changes to try to fit smaller riders on bikes with wheels that are that big. The largest sizes will generally have the same or very similar geometry scaled for size.
This is true for road bikes and most 700c-based hybrids.

This WAS true for 29er mtbs 10 years ago. Not so any more.

As has been mentioned, head angles have become slacker and top tubes longer on ALL sized frames, thus drastically increasing the center-front distance, and solving the toe overlap issue as a byproduct. I am not aware of a current 29er that gets a slacker head angle for the small size. Not saying it does not exist, but it would certainly be the exception, not the rule.

As far as seat angles on 29ers, some get steep on smaller sizes, but most don't. But this has been true of other wheel sizes as well. It is not because of the wheel size, it is for the anticipated geometry needs of smaller riders.

I said in my first post I would recommend a 29er. On further thought, either size (29er or 27.5) would be just fine (for different reasons).

Last edited by Kapusta; 09-05-17 at 10:06 AM.
Old 09-09-17, 10:09 PM
ValerieJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all your words of wisdom . . . . Guess What ? !!!!!!
I just bought my first Mountain Bike !!! Found it on Ebay (reputable seller). It's a USED Small 2017 Orbea Oiz M-20 with upgraded cassette to XT. I paid a low price out the door (I think). It weighs 25.4 lbs and I LOVE IT !!!! It's not the pretty color I wanted but . . . it has great components for the price (XT w/ XTR rear derailleur). I didn't get to test ride it, as it is located in Colorado.
Tell me I didn't do something stupid !!! What do you think ?

Last edited by ValerieJ; 09-10-17 at 12:16 PM. Reason: M-20
Old 09-09-17, 11:15 PM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Oh, wow! You don't mess around. That's high end. Should be fun to ride. What color did you end up with?
Old 09-09-17, 11:33 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
That looks like a sweet bike, you'll be happy riding it!
Old 09-09-17, 11:42 PM
ValerieJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
USED 2017 Orbea Oiz M-30 XT

This is my new bike.
It's black : ( . . . . wish it was pretty Green !! But at least the decals are pretty green ! ; )
I haven't actually seen it yet as it is being shipped. I assume it will be shipped unassembled. How much might it costs to have it re-assembled at LBS ?

It's Used and has scuffs and rub marks but that is fine with me. I'm guessing it was a demo. regardless, I am thrilled with my purchase . . . and there is a 30 day return policy too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Orbea 2017 Oiz M-20.jpg (92.7 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by ValerieJ; 09-12-17 at 03:19 AM.
Old 09-09-17, 11:51 PM
ValerieJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have pedals yet but I think Ill just start with some used flats.
SO EXCITING !!!! . . . just wanted to share with enthusiasts.
Old 09-10-17, 06:47 AM
JonathanGennick 

Originally Posted by ValerieJ
This is my new bike.
It's black : ( . . . . wish it was pretty Green !! But at least the decals are pretty green ! ; )
The gold on those fork stanchions work for me. That gold, the black, and the green decals. It's a nice look.

If you event want to add more color, you can look at pedals, grips, handlebars, even water bottle bolts. I recently bought a blue seatpost (Promax brand) for one of my commuter bikes just to add some color to it. Really though, your bike is looking good in that photo.
Old 09-10-17, 08:23 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Nice and congrats! Post pics when you get it!
You probably won't need to assemble much. You can do it yourself with the basic tools.
Not unless they took the whole bike apart! lol
Old 09-10-17, 12:21 PM
ValerieJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you event want to add more color, you can look at pedals, grips, handlebars, even water bottle bolts.
That is a great idea !!! I can start with grips and pedals. I was thinking about green cable housing too. . . Found some on line but I don't know if there is a quality gap between different cable Manufacturers. These were from China. ????

Anyway, I stand corrected about the bike . . . It is an M-20. . . . sweet ! AND FOR THE RECORD . . . IT IS A 27.5 Wheel.
Orbea 2017 SMALL size bikes don't accommodate 29ers . . . . I'm ok with that.

2CAM16: Are you laughing at my Naivete ? LOL ! What tools might I need to put bike together myself ? My word . . . you have a lot of bikes !!!

Last edited by ValerieJ; 09-10-17 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-10-17, 06:03 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts

2CAM16: Are you laughing at my Naivete ? LOL ! What tools might I need to put bike together myself ? My word . . . you have a lot of bikes !!!
Actually I was laughing at not knowing how they'd pack the bike. Just make sure you have a set of allen/hex wrenches and an adjustable wrench. That should be basically it.
And yeah, I actually thinned my herd by one last week. Unfortunately building one to add to it right now. Hahahaha! At least they all get ridden.
Old 09-10-17, 10:23 PM
ValerieJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And yeah, I actually thinned my herd by one last week. Unfortunately building one to add to it right now. Hahahaha! At least they all get ridden.
2CAM16: It must be nice !! : ) You go brotha !

Thank you all for your enthusiasm . . . it's contagious !!

I'll post more questions when the bike actually gets here. I got it for what I think was a great price. I hope it doesn't fall apart when it gets here. I'll keep you posted.
Old 09-16-17, 07:02 PM
NormanF

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I'm a short guy - 5'7" - the founder of Niner Bikes is my height. I ride a medium or 17" 29er. Fits me to a T.
Old 09-16-17, 08:11 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
It is an M-20. . . . sweet ! AND FOR THE RECORD . . . IT IS A 27.5 Wheel.
Orbea 2017 SMALL size bikes don't accommodate 29ers . . . . I'm ok with that.
Good choice!
Old 09-17-17, 06:30 PM
ValerieJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got the bike and put it together myself (a proud moment) . . . it is better than I could imagine !!! More later !
Old 09-17-17, 08:10 PM
JonathanGennick 

I got the bike and put it together myself (a proud moment) . . . it is better than I could imagine !!! More later !
So....you've gone out on the bike, haven't you?

And have left us languishing without photos

Good choice!
Old 09-18-17, 12:10 AM
ValerieJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
QUESTION:
The handlebars: is the 710mm bar what regular sized people use ? . . . Just wondering if they'll need to cut it down for me. I haven't had it fitted yet at my LBS.. Do petite females usually cut their bars a bit ??

So....you've gone out on the bike, haven't you?
No . . .haven't ridden it yet. I don't have pedals and it needs to be fitted for me. Unfortunately, I'm too green to do that myself. : (

It looks so beautiful, clean and nice . . . like NEW. Can't really stop looking at it even though it is black : ( !! Lol

Last edited by ValerieJ; 09-18-17 at 01:00 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.