Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

BikesDirect Strada CM Comp for commuting?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-17, 07:25 PM
tiredone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

UPDATE: I got the bike! Check out posts 7 and 12

Hi all,

So for awhile I've been watching the Strada CM Comp to come back in stock in my size (58 cm) ever since it sold out right as I was ready to order it. Well, now it seems like it's back in stock for pre-order. I'm wondering though, from other more experienced commuters, would this bike look like a good commuter bike?

Right now I am using my first road bike, a 2011 Giant Defy 2 as a commuter. But to be frank, I am getting tired of that bike and just want something new, preferably new frame material (steel) and disc brakes. So that's 2 things the Strada CM Comp checks off right there.

Also, would it be feasible to swap the 105 from the Stada to my newer carbon bike (2016 Roubaix SL4)? The Roubaix has Tiagra 10 spd atm, and it would be kind of ridiculous for my commuter to have a better groupset than my fair-weather machine.

If I did get this bike, I would plan on using these for rack & fenders:
SKS P50 Fenders
Topeak Rack for Disc

Think this would work well? My use case would be commuting around my university campus and a 15 mile round trip to my job.

Last edited by tiredone; 09-18-17 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-21-17, 08:46 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by tiredone
If I did get this bike, I would plan on using these for rack & fenders:
SKS P50 Fenders
Topeak Rack for Disc
I like the looks of that bike, but I wouldn't get that rack that uses a long hub skewer. It looks like there's a rear rack eyelet on the seatstay an inch or so above the drop out (pic). I'd get a 'regular' rack that uses that eyelet.

This rack looks similar https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FIE3WI?psc=1 but uses traditional mounting points.
Old 07-21-17, 09:22 PM
tiredone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
I like the looks of that bike, but I wouldn't get that rack that uses a long hub skewer. It looks like there's a rear rack eyelet on the seatstay an inch or so above the drop out (pic). I'd get a 'regular' rack that uses that eyelet.

This rack looks similar https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FIE3WI?psc=1 but uses traditional mounting points.
That's actually the rack I'm using with my Giant right now. Reason I would go for the other one is because of the disc brakes; looks like they would need the extra clearance that the disc specific version provides. I guess if I do get the bike I could try to migrate my old rack to the Strada and if it doesn't work, get the disc rack. Also, anyone with experience running tires as wide as the stock (700x40) for road use? Widest I've experienced is currently 700x28 on the Roubaix and those feel really nice & comfortable, but 40 seems... pretty wide for my exclusively road use. Read another thread on here about the Strada CM Comp (https://www.bikeforums.net/recreation...a-cm-comp.html) and one poster says those tires might have a bit high rolling resistance for road use.

Last edited by tiredone; 07-21-17 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-22-17, 08:54 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Yes, this looks very close to my 2015 Charge Plug in style and form. (My Plug is the last year for steel, Charge went to aluminum for the 2016 Plugs).

Racks can be had for cheap, so if the Topeak rack doesn't work out, get something that will.

Fenders? I have the SKS longboards and mounted the fork crown tab back behind the fork crown to lower the rear edge even more. There is some serious toe overlap at low speeds, but underway, it is a non-issue for me.

Drivetrain swap? Maybe after the warranty expires. And it's not so ridiculous to have a better drivetrain on your non-fair weather bike, no one is thinking about that but you.

Disc Brakes? Not as great an advantage over rim brakes as I imagined, but over two years, the slightly better wet-weather braking, and slightly better modulation are nice.

Oh, and big, smooth road tires make a huge difference over any sort of knobbies if you don't ride in mud, snow or gravel. (I put studded knobbies on my other commuter for snow and ice).

Price-wise the Strada CM Comp looks like a fairly good deal...especially for steel.

Add the usual caveat about Universities and their high rates of bike theft and vandalism and you have my thoughts on the Strada CM Comp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
whitewalls.jpg (100.0 KB, 260 views)
Old 07-24-17, 10:44 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
I think that looks like a great commuter; especially if you have a commute that is largely gravel/trail. If it's all paved, then you would want to replace those knobby tires.

As for swapping with tiagra 10sp, I could be wrong, but I thought that normal freehubs can accept 8-10sp cassettes, but for 11s, hubs were redesigned to make room for the extra gear. So if you wanted to make a component swap, you'd have to swap rear wheels too.
Old 07-24-17, 02:36 PM
aaronrob222

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tiredone
Also, anyone with experience running tires as wide as the stock (700x40) for road use? Widest I've experienced is currently 700x28 on the Roubaix and those feel really nice & comfortable, but 40 seems... pretty wide for my exclusively road use. (https://www.bikeforums.net/recreation...a-cm-comp.html) and one poster says those tires might have a bit high rolling resistance for road use.
I don't think the width would be as important as the knobbed tires. I went from a pretty mild traction tires (Vittoria Randos) to slick (Conti Grand Prix) and the difference was huge. It feels like I'm riding on butter. In any case, no problem riding wider tires on primarily pavement--it can be very comfortable, since you can run them with lower pressure.

[Edit] I think that bike would be gorgeous with some SKS longboard fenders on it. Hope you go for it!
Old 09-16-17, 10:30 PM
tiredone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update! So I went ahead and ordered & received my Strada CM Comp. I ordered kind of early in the pre-pay period, and BikesDirect shipped past the later part of their shipping estimate, so it was quite a painful wait! Thankfully, it did ship at all and I received it in a week by FedEx in Hawaii. Even with the $150 shipping slapped on for living here, I still come out ahead compared to LBSs here, who don't even offer 105 bikes until north of ~$1500.

The bike came well packaged, can't complain about it. Well, except for a lot of the time setting it up being spent on removing the packaging. The other significant time sink was getting the disc brakes to not rub. Oh, before I go off on that, I apparently got a free upgrade to the TRP Hy/Rds (spec on the site says it's supposed to be BB7). So that was a nice surprise. Anyway, I'm probably a below average mechanic, so it took me a couple of hours of reading & adjusting the disc brakes so they don't rub. Even now still, the front occasionally rubs for god knows why but goes away after reseating the wheel. Another issue was the rear hub was way too tight; loosened that up a bit myself and spins decently now, though it still seems to slow down its spin faster than my Spec Roubaix's wheels.

On the maiden voyage today, the characteristic steel springiness came out to dampen the rough roads we have here in Hawaii. The bad side of steel also showed when climbing the many hills we have here too; quite a bear to climb with, even with a 32 largest cog! Might have to downsize my chainrings sometime soon.

Only thing left to do is get the fenders on, which I think is typically the most irritating part of setting up a bike for commuting. Also, anyone know what the smallest chainrings I can fit on there?

Old 09-17-17, 12:10 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
It's a 110 crankset so the 34 low is already as low as it goes. Other cranksets make a plausible option but you have to go a little off-spec.

Probably the easiest: FSA is offering "adventure" cranks in 46/30, you can find the Tempo square taper version on eBay for <$100.
Mountain double cranksets have a chainline that's offset 2.5mm outward of a road bike so there's a wee bit more cross chaining once it's adjusted, but they are offered in smaller ring sizes, as low as 36-22.
You can get a MTB triple (42-32-22) or hybrid triple (48-38-28) crank and remove the outer ring. The result is near the correct chain line but it's not attractive because the outer ring is where they do all the styling.
You can get a road triple, but you'd need a different shifter and maybe a longer RD.

Cassette options.
There's a rare orphan SRAM cassette that goes 11x11-36. Your RD might make it. Not guaranteed.
You can get an XT cassette in 11x11-40. But you need a widget to space your RD far enough out to shift it. https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/roadlink

All these options may involve a change in chain length.

And that's what you get when Dan can't sleep
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-17-17, 02:28 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Adventure/gravel road bikes make excellent commuters. They can take fenders with 35c tires and their stable geometry allows one to haul heavy loads on a rear rack even on the roughest of roads.

They're reasonably priced and are much better suited to the commuting role than traditional road bikes were.
Old 09-18-17, 08:33 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
Nice lookin bike! Love the orange, it's about the same as my moto hardtail.

As for disc brakes, I also had some trouble. I found that the recommended method of loosen bolts, squeeze brake, tighten bolts, was not sufficient. I had to enlist a third hand and also nudge the caliper in the desired direction, and tighten very slowly & carefully, trying not to let the force of the bolts disturb anything.
Old 09-18-17, 10:01 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
gorgeous bike, and looks perfect for what you are doing. Looks like you already changed the tires?
Old 09-18-17, 06:55 PM
tiredone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After much finangling for a few hours yesterday, including the use of a drill and some creative adaptations to the mounting points on the Strada, I finally got the fenders on. I think I learned my lesson from my last 2 fender mounting disaster attempts on my old bike, and just didn't cut the stays short in case I ever wanna upsize from x32c tires. I just had to trim the top 2 stays on the front a little bit to prevent them from knocking into the cables that run on the downtube. Also a pic of the Hy/Rds that were supposed to be BB7s

Originally Posted by chas58
gorgeous bike, and looks perfect for what you are doing. Looks like you already changed the tires?
Yep, the x40c stock Nanos were the first thing to go. To be fair, I tried them out a little on a test ride after getting the basics set up. You can definitely feel and even hear the high amount of rolling resistance those monsters have. So I put some x32c Vittoria Zaffiros on there instead. Actually, it was quite a biotch to mount those; very tight to get on and I only had spare tubes of size 20-25c available, and the two that I attempted to use got pinched... But when I used the huge tubes that came with the Nanos, they apparently worked no problem. Now I bought 28-32c tubes from the LBS and keep those in my bags in case of flats

Originally Posted by RubeRad
Nice lookin bike! Love the orange, it's about the same as my moto hardtail.

As for disc brakes, I also had some trouble. I found that the recommended method of loosen bolts, squeeze brake, tighten bolts, was not sufficient. I had to enlist a third hand and also nudge the caliper in the desired direction, and tighten very slowly & carefully, trying not to let the force of the bolts disturb anything.
Pretty sure mine is the same color as yours too! Yeah, my main method was that squeeze & tighten, with a little bit of wiggling thrown in, and now it seems to be mostly good.

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
It's a 110 crankset so the 34 low is already as low as it goes. Other cranksets make a plausible option but you have to go a little off-spec.

Probably the easiest: FSA is offering "adventure" cranks in 46/30, you can find the Tempo square taper version on eBay for <$100.
Mountain double cranksets have a chainline that's offset 2.5mm outward of a road bike so there's a wee bit more cross chaining once it's adjusted, but they are offered in smaller ring sizes, as low as 36-22.
You can get a MTB triple (42-32-22) or hybrid triple (48-38-28) crank and remove the outer ring. The result is near the correct chain line but it's not attractive because the outer ring is where they do all the styling.
You can get a road triple, but you'd need a different shifter and maybe a longer RD.

Cassette options.
There's a rare orphan SRAM cassette that goes 11x11-36. Your RD might make it. Not guaranteed.
You can get an XT cassette in 11x11-40. But you need a widget to space your RD far enough out to shift it. https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/roadlink

All these options may involve a change in chain length.

And that's what you get when Dan can't sleep
Wow, thanks for the info overload on that. Seems like it would be more of a pain to try to swap out the crank and/or cassette, since I forgot you also need to adjust the chain length too. Figure I'll just need to get my fat sack into shape; at least that's free!

Originally Posted by NormanF
Adventure/gravel road bikes make excellent commuters. They can take fenders with 35c tires and their stable geometry allows one to haul heavy loads on a rear rack even on the roughest of roads.

They're reasonably priced and are much better suited to the commuting role than traditional road bikes were.
I agree. The Giant Defy I was using, while certainly lighter than the Strada and decent-ish at commuting, really wasn't made for that role. Using fenders with the caliper brakes really limited my tire sizes to not more than 25c, and I had to swap out the derailleur just to get good gearing.
Old 09-19-17, 09:03 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
You'll be climbing hills more easily before you know it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-19-17, 10:40 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Man that is a sweet ride. Looks pretty much like the perfect commuter setup. I love seeing bikes with plenty of bosses to mount whatever-the-heck-ya-wanna mount on it.
Old 11-17-17, 12:46 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
I like it! I am looking at this as a possible second bike well 4th bike but second for commuting/ gravel grinding adventure biking.. thanks for sharing

you know how much it weighs? any complaints or things you don't like?