Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I have an Inch of Spacers-Frame too Aggressive?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-17, 06:43 AM
Captain_Canada

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Hi, I'm on a CAAD10 that has been professionally fitted to me and have been riding it for 3 years, 2000 miles a year. The frame size is correct etc (me=6'1, frame=58). I'm in good shape but not the most flexible person. The end result is about an inch of spacers used to bring up the handlebars (stem is straight).

Everything about the bike feels good.

If I were to get a new bike, would something like the Canyon Endurace make more sense, since I think my aggressive CAAD10 has been transformed partway into an endurance type fit anyways due to my spacers?

Thanks!
Old 11-15-17, 06:45 AM
fa63

Bikes: A couple

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't think 25 mm / 1 inch of spacers is excessive, as long as the stem is not pointing upwards. That said, CAAD10 is known for its aggressive geometry and not really the ideal choice for those who need to have their handlebar on the high side.
Old 11-15-17, 06:50 AM
Captain_Canada

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fa63
I don't think 25 mm / 1 inch of spacers is excessive, as long as the stem is not pointing upwards. That said, CAAD10 is known for its aggressive geometry and not really the ideal choice for those who need to have their handlebar on the high side.
Thanks fa63, the stem is not pointed upwards. Maybe I shouldn't try to fix what isn't broke, but just wondering if it is preferred to ride an endurance type bike without spacers, or an aggressive bike with spacers.

Or maybe i'm just trying to justify a purchase
Old 11-15-17, 06:52 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22599 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
If everything feels good I would not mess with success.
Old 11-15-17, 06:56 AM
fa63

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Captain_Canada
just wondering if it is preferred to ride an endurance type bike without spacers, or an aggressive bike with spacers.
If you end up in the same position, then you shouldn't notice any difference (but the human mind is a funny thing). You might notice some differences in handling and comfort with an endurance type bike because they are designed with more stability and comfort in mind.
Old 11-15-17, 07:47 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
If you're worried about the number of spacer, why not flip the stem up and remove spacers?

There is nothing wrong with an upturned stem.
Old 11-15-17, 08:16 AM
twodownzero

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Ribble Nero Corsa, Surly Karate Monkey, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Cannondale MT800, Evil Insurgent

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
25mm of spacers is nothing.
Old 11-15-17, 08:29 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by twodownzero
25mm of spacers is nothing.
And infinity minus infinity equals pi (apple I think)....
Old 11-15-17, 08:46 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Spacers are fine. In many cases a higher bar allows for a forearm parallel to the ground with hands on hoods, elbows bent that is more aero than straighter arms on lower bars. *most* rec riders that have slammed stems are not putting out the power to hold that position in the drops, or tops. It is a copy of how the pros ride. A pro extra 150W (whatever the rec vs pro difference in power is) takes weight off their bars making a lower torso fit work better and more needed at the higher speed. A rec rider with the same position is going slower and has more weight on their hands. Ideally they should be fit higher.
Old 11-15-17, 08:53 AM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
If you're worried about the number of spacer, why not flip the stem up and remove spacers?

There is nothing wrong with an upturned stem.
Yep, or even get a stem with a higher angle.
Old 11-15-17, 08:58 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
I'll accept an inch of spacers below the stem, but not above.
Old 11-15-17, 09:03 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3146 Post(s)
Liked 1,711 Times in 1,033 Posts
I agree that the only issue may be one of the current aesthetic trend, which is particularly pronounced amongst those who don't know anything. I wouldn't worry about them or your bike fit.

I'll add that "endurance" frame design is about more than stem position and handlebar height, and is often about more relaxed geometry than comparable race frames. Therefore, be aware that if looking at an "endurance" frame, you'll probably be looking at a bike that feels and handles differently than your current bike (which I believe is quite racy).

As said upthread, if you've got a setup that rides as you like, don't mess with it...especially for something so silly as a fashion trend.
Old 11-15-17, 10:32 AM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by chaadster
I'll add that "endurance" frame design is about more than stem position and handlebar height, and is often about more relaxed geometry than comparable race frames. Therefore, be aware that if looking at an "endurance" frame, you'll probably be looking at a bike that feels and handles differently than your current bike (which I believe is quite racy).
This is mostly true. The more endurance frame geometry will not only come with a taller headtube, but also a longer wheelbase to smooth out the ride. That said, bikes like the Roubaix, Synapse or Defy can still be raced, and have been at very high levels in events like Paris-Roubaix.
Old 11-15-17, 11:34 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

This is mostly true. The more endurance frame geometry will not only come with a taller headtube, but also a longer wheelbase to smooth out the ride. That said, bikes like the Roubaix, Synapse or Defy can still be raced, and have been at very high levels in events like Paris-Roubaix.
Yes, “endurance” is not a legally regulated term, and so what it means is a matter of varying fact. The only way for the OP to know whether and how a new bike might compare to their CAAD is to look at the geometries. For example, I don’t know whether Specialized bills the Roubaix as an “endurance” bike, but the 150mm head tube on a size 56 seems short for the “endurance” category, and may not be taller than what the OP has. Checking, it looks like the CAAD 10 size 56 has a taller, 155mm head tube. So, don’t rely on category tags; look at the numbers.
Old 11-15-17, 11:56 AM
fa63

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, “endurance” is not a legally regulated term, and so what it means is a matter of varying fact. The only way for the OP to know whether and how a new bike might compare to their CAAD is to look at the geometries. For example, I don’t know whether Specialized bills the Roubaix as an “endurance” bike, but the 150mm head tube on a size 56 seems short for the “endurance” category, and may not be taller than what the OP has. Checking, it looks like the CAAD 10 size 56 has a taller, 155mm head tube. So, don’t rely on category tags; look at the numbers.
This is a good example of why it is better to look at stack and reach to compare geometry, instead of head tube length and top tube length. For instance, if you look at the stack and reach numbers, you can see that the 56cm Roubaix is significantly taller than the Cannondale (611mm vs. 560mm) and much shorter reach (381mm vs. 394mm). So the Roubaix indeed has "endurance" geometry; in fact it is one of the frames with the highest stack-to-reach ratio across the size range:

Old 11-15-17, 11:58 AM
carlos danger

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Captain_Canada
Thanks fa63, the stem is not pointed upwards. Maybe I shouldn't try to fix what isn't broke, but just wondering if it is preferred to ride an endurance type bike without spacers, or an aggressive bike with spacers.

Or maybe i'm just trying to justify a purchase
doesn't make any difference imo as long as the handlebar is in the same relative place. spacers exist for a reason, and so do stems in different lenghts, and angles, handlebar widths etc etc. its so you can make the bike fit you good.
Old 11-15-17, 12:30 PM
topflightpro

I was agreeing with you. But there is an ongoing theme in the forum that a bike is either a "race" bike or an "endurance" bike. But even bikes that we deem "endurance" bikes can be raced.
Old 11-15-17, 02:27 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by fa63
This is a good example of why it is better to look at stack and reach to compare geometry, instead of head tube length and top tube length. For instance, if you look at the stack and reach numbers, you can see that the 56cm Roubaix is significantly taller than the Cannondale (611mm vs. 560mm) and much shorter reach (381mm vs. 394mm). So the Roubaix indeed has "endurance" geometry; in fact it is one of the frames with the highest stack-to-reach ratio across the size range:

Great info, and to the point that you’ve got to look at the numbers, especially with the trend to fit bigger tires and having “air space” around the tires being enabled by disc brakes and pushing up fork lengths up.

The other thing is that Specialized doesn’t really call Roubaix an “endurance” bike, so another reminder to be careful with the category tags.
Old 11-15-17, 02:46 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

I was agreeing with you. But there is an ongoing theme in the forum that a bike is either a "race" bike or an "endurance" bike. But even bikes that we deem "endurance" bikes can be raced.
Oh, for sure; I didn’t mean to sound contrary, I only wanted to elaborate on our shared perspective.
Old 11-15-17, 03:26 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
I'll accept an inch of spacers below the stem, but not above.
I run 2cm above the stem... because when I eventually sell the bike, the buyer has a reasonable chance of actually using it, increasing my chances of actually selling it.
Old 11-15-17, 03:35 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography
I run 2cm above the stem... because when I eventually sell the bike, the buyer has a reasonable chance of actually using it, increasing my chances of actually selling it.
I figure my wife won't sell them for what they're worth anyway.
Old 11-15-17, 05:09 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
eh, i don't buy my bikes thinking of resale. All my bikes get chopped down. 5mm adjustment for throughout the season, move the stem up in spring, move the stem down by summer. I've sold a few bikes this way too, not a problem IME
Old 11-15-17, 05:14 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Some set-ups specifically warn against having too tall of a periscope.
Old 11-15-17, 06:07 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Nah.. you should want your bike to go to a good home, not a dentist.
Old 11-15-17, 06:18 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I wouldn't rush out to buy a frame to get rid of the spacers, but if I were to be buying a new frame anyway I'd probably get one that fitted my dimensions more closely. Especially if the fit has been stable for 6000 miles and you're thus confident in it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.