Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hydraulic Disc brake issue

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-19, 12:15 PM
El Davisimo

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Fuji Absolute. Wife has: Ridley Noah, Brompton

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys. I have a new Fuji with Hydraulic disc brakes. As you can see in the pic, I need to remove the front wheel to store it on my wall at home. The issue is that every time I put the wheel back on, the pads scrape against the brakes and I have to readjust my brakes, which is a pain in the butt. Anyone know why it is doing this and how I can fix it?
Old 03-21-19, 12:29 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I have used the cable operated hydraulic TRP HyRd for a few months now ..

...where you need to stuff a Keeper in between the pads , when you remove the wheel ,

so you don't have the auto pad wear compensation trying to fill in the gap , when you touch the brake lever..

they have a lockout knob.. used in set up, and also useful when you take the wheel out..

so EZAF, why not put the disc brake bike on top rack It & leave the wheels on,
and put the rim brake bike on the bottom,
where the removal of the wheel won't be an issue..

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-21-19 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-21-19, 01:39 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Use the pad spacer which was supposed to have come with your brakes. It looks something like this and goes between the pads when the wheel/rotor is off the bike.

Also, don't touch the brake lever when the wheel is off.

Or move the Fuji to the top and take the wheel off the other bike.

-Tim-
Old 03-21-19, 04:00 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
that's why QR and disk does not go well, zero problem with realigning brake on thru axle
Old 03-21-19, 05:13 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Don't hit your level. Use a spacer if you can't stop hitting the lever with it on the wall in that position. I'd bump into that lever all the time.

Old 03-21-19, 05:31 PM
El Davisimo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys. It's hard to see in the pic, but there is a spacer inside the brake. I don't know why it does it. I will probably take to a pro, since I am unable to describe it well enough. Thanks all.
Old 03-21-19, 05:51 PM
rayooo

Bikes: Superfly-9.6, Domane-4.5 Emonda-SLR 9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
I always tighten the axle on my bikes with the bike sitting on the floor and adding just a bit of weight with my hand prior to tightening. Otherwise if tightening on the stand, the axle/wheel registration seems to vary a little and I'd occasionally get an off-center condition between rotor and caliper.
Once I started tightening the axle with the bike's weight on it, then centering the caliper... it registers real close each time thereafter... at least in my case. Good luck!
Old 03-21-19, 06:07 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by rayooo
I always tighten the axle on my bikes with the bike sitting on the floor and adding just a bit of weight with my hand prior to tightening. Otherwise if tightening on the stand, the axle/wheel registration seems to vary a little and I'd occasionally get an off-center condition between rotor and caliper.
Once I started tightening the axle with the bike's weight on it, then centering the caliper... it registers real close each time thereafter... at least in my case. Good luck!
Yep, QRs are sensitive to alignment especially with discs. If you have cup and cone bearings then they are even more sensitive to alignment and QR tension. thru axles do a better job with the alignment but can still have minor issues. From that picture why not just lean the bike against the wall? It doesn't save any extra space the way its set up
Old 03-21-19, 07:16 PM
El Davisimo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Yep, QRs are sensitive to alignment especially with discs. If you have cup and cone bearings then they are even more sensitive to alignment and QR tension. thru axles do a better job with the alignment but can still have minor issues. From that picture why not just lean the bike against the wall? It doesn't save any extra space the way its set up
I'd love to, but it's an obstacle course. What you don't see is the foot of the bed is just in front. The hanging bike is easy to avoid, but if I lean the hybrid against the wall, the handlebars stick out and I have whacked my junk walking out of the bathroom in the middle of the night. This really is the best solution.
Old 03-21-19, 07:31 PM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by El Davisimo

Hey guys. I have a new Fuji with Hydraulic disc brakes. As you can see in the pic, I need to remove the front wheel to store it on my wall at home. The issue is that every time I put the wheel back on, the pads scrape against the brakes and I have to readjust my brakes, which is a pain in the butt. Anyone know why it is doing this and how I can fix it?
How exactly are you "adjusting" the brakes? Hydros are self-adjusting. If you accidentally squeeze a handle with the wheel off, then you will need to pry apart the calipers in order to get the disc back in. A tire iron (left side in this example) is ideal for prying the pads apart...takes just a few seconds.
Old 03-21-19, 07:42 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I'd love to, but it's an obstacle course. What you don't see is the foot of the bed is just in front. The hanging bike is easy to avoid, but if I lean the hybrid against the wall, the handlebars stick out and I have whacked my junk walking out of the bathroom in the middle of the night. This really is the best solution.
What do you need more, a bed or a bike? You can sleep on the couch.
Old 03-22-19, 05:59 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Can you put the commuter on top? If not, +1 to a tire lever to push the pads in a little before re-inserting the wheel.
Old 03-22-19, 07:38 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Time for a larger place.
Old 03-22-19, 08:33 AM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
I have a similar issue. I don't remove the wheel very often, though. But with my Cannondale Quick CX, which has hydraulic disk brakes, I notice that whenever I do remove the front wheel I end up with a slightly misaligned brake which becomes evident when slowly rolling the bike emits a soft whine. I am careful to not touch the brake lever while the wheel is off. It just seems to be a fact of life if you're using QR skewers rather than through axles. My solution is to realign the brakes every time I remove the wheel. It's a pretty quick process, but if I were removing the wheel after every ride there's no way that I would consider that acceptable.

The other annoyances I have with disk brakes are around the fact that the ventilation / weight saving holes in the rotors catch gently against the pads when braking, making a th-th-th-th-th sound. ...that, and the fact that whenever the rotors are just a little dirty they have a tendency to screech. Oh, and if I want to remove a fork I'm into either removing the entire brake assembly, or re-bleeding the system.

What benefit am I getting? A little better stopping power, less rim wear, better tire clearance than road-oriented calipers, reduced fade when wet. I think that's about it. The industry is going in the disk brake direction, and eventually it will become hard to find caliper style brakes, but the benefits come with costs.

In your situation, put the flat bar bike on top, or use hangers that hang the bike from the front wheel instead of from the top tube.
Old 03-22-19, 10:46 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by rayooo
This is a good tip! I've been tightening the axle while the bike is on the stand. Going forward, I'm going to start doing this. Thanks!
Old 03-22-19, 11:02 AM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
This is a good tip! I've been tightening the axle while the bike is on the stand. Going forward, I'm going to start doing this. Thanks!

Yes, QR seems to seat much more accurately when on the ground.