Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bicycle computer/mileage/GPS

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-19, 07:49 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts

I have always used a basic cheap mileage/speed/average speed type computer on the bike. I don’t do the strava stuff yet.

Should I upgrade and go with GPS and start downloading data/using strava? How cheap of a unit can I buy? Anything less than 100 bucks?

Thanks
Old 04-05-19, 08:02 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
What do you want to track and display? and do you have a smartphone already? if so, that could take care of tracking for free assuming you don't need to see those data while riding.
If while riding you just need speed, there are many cheap options inc. cheap GPS speedometers.

i have a Bryton rider 310T, but that also display HRM and cadence from external sensors. So that may be beyond what you want. i still use my phone to actually track.. the Bryton is just for me to see stuff while riding.
Old 04-05-19, 08:07 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

I phone here. I guess these things can do about anything now a days.

thats a great idea
Old 04-05-19, 08:07 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
You can run Strava on your phone even if it's not out on your bars. A phone's GPS may not be the greatest, but it's worth doing at least a few rides that way to decide if you like the concept before investing in something specialized.

Granted if you're going to do all-day rides and also need that phone for safety, a portable charger is probably a good idea.

I'm slow enough the KOM stuff is personally meaningless, but playing with the data from my longest rides has been fun. Another big motivation was the subscription live tracking beacon service for a solo century I knew would run late - that would probably only work on a phone. Though while it did work I wasn't that impressed and may look at other solutions for that function.
Old 04-05-19, 08:38 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Smart phones are accurate enough. I mean how precise do you need it to be? I find it's within a quarter-mile for 50-mile rides. That's close enough. I'm not trying to put ordanance on targets. And as far as battery life. For me, a fully charged phone is plenty. I will go on supported rides that after the stops in over four hours and the phone battery still has plenty of charge remaining. Also...Strava isn't the only (free) app. There are several. You should do so searches and see if your particular phone might not work so well with certain apps. I've heard of some Android phones (not sure of the brand/model) that Strava just doesn't work well on.

Dan
Old 04-05-19, 08:53 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
And as far as battery life. For me, a fully charged phone is plenty. I will go on supported rides that after the stops in over four hours and the phone battery still has plenty of charge remaining.

Sure, four hours usually isn't an issue if you start out charged. But there are 14+ good riding hours in a summer day, followed by a few more possible ones.

All depends on what sort of ride you have planned or might vary it into; if you're planning to be back by lunch, then no, it is probably not needed. Knowing I won't have to turn of Strava in the afternoon is like knowing I have lights in case a planned late afternoon return stretches beyond sunset.

Last edited by UniChris; 04-05-19 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-05-19, 09:30 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
Download the Strava and Relive app on your iPhone. Setup Strava so all your rides are public. Bring up Relive and connect it to Strava. On your next ride start Strava to record your GPS track. Also set your iPhone to low power mode if going for a ride over 3 hours. Put your iPhone in you pocket. Take pictures on your ride. When you get back stop Strava and upload the track. Relive will see the upload, so open Relive and create a video of your ride. It will pull in any pictures you took. All this for free.

https://www.relive.cc/
Old 04-05-19, 10:09 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Lezyne makes quality for units for less than comparable garmin, wahoo, etc units.

the super gps was $130 online and has been flawless. Fast load time, easy route designs, and the route mapping works fine when I've needed use it tonstsy on a specific course.
I use it pretty much to just track miles at the end of the day, but when the other abilities are needed, it's nice to have.

lower models are cheaper.
Old 04-06-19, 07:07 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by themp
Download the Strava and Relive app on your iPhone. Setup Strava so all your rides are public. Bring up Relive and connect it to Strava. On your next ride start Strava to record your GPS track. Also set your iPhone to low power mode if going for a ride over 3 hours. Put your iPhone in you pocket. Take pictures on your ride. When you get back stop Strava and upload the track. Relive will see the upload, so open Relive and create a video of your ride. It will pull in any pictures you took. All this for free.

https://www.relive.cc/
great stuff

i dont care care about public strava (unless I’m riding a dirt bike so I can fake those quick times). Ha ha ha
Old 04-06-19, 11:24 AM
Witterings

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Why do you want to change / possibly upgrade ... what functionality are you looking for that you don't currently have???

I looked at more advanced computers recently as I wanted to ride new areas and to download maps with turn by turn directions so I could just ride without having to keep stopping and looking at maps but I still use my cycle computer for distance, average speed etc as 90% of my rides are local so I don't need the maps most of the time and I'm not bothered about heart rate / cadence etc. and use my phone for the 10% that I want to use maps.

One of my reasons for deciding to do this, if you use your phone or say a Garmin / Wahoo unit they need to be regularly charged after approx every 15 hrs which is easy to forget but the batteries in a basic cycle computer only need replacing about once a year.

Last edited by Witterings; 04-06-19 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-06-19, 06:51 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
GPS accuracy: a modern phone runs circles around any of those bicycle products regarding capabilities. And the phone is always updated, can use cell-towers for added accuracy..... we are not looking at a need for military precision here
Phone battery life: modern phones can run 12 hours tracking in Strava and in addition take some photos on the way and sharing etc. and you can get one of those small power banks to recharge for longer rides, or to also recharge lights etc.
Maps: phones can download maps too.... and update wherever you have a cell signal

As long as you don't need to "see" the phone while riding, it will work fine. If you want to have something displayed while riding, you are better off with a bike computer. although some people use the phone for that as well. i elected to have a bike computer for my instant data needs since that protects the phone better and seems to be less hassle, smaller device on handlebar etc.
Old 04-06-19, 06:56 PM
rayooo

Bikes: Superfly-9.6, Domane-4.5 Emonda-SLR 9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
I've been using my phone (iPhone) for years... Map My Ride and more recently Strava. Both work quite well although I'm fully switched over the Strava now and like it.
'probably didn't need to but:

I just took the plunge and ordered a Elemnt Bolt... I'm hoping I don't regret it!
Old 04-06-19, 08:31 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I hope that you realize that the GPS system is due for a clock reset and older GPS may flip out in a similar fashion to the 'Y2K bug' and leave you in 1988.

Hey, that was today!

https://techcrunch.com/2019/04/06/gp...ght-get-wacky/