Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

One bike vs multiple bikes?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

One bike vs multiple bikes?

Old 06-05-19, 07:13 AM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by mlau
Do any of you guys just have/want only one bicycle?

I know that bike forums might not be the best place to ask this question.
However, I've been thinking a lot about life--what's needed for happiness--and the idea of having less things.

For most of my life, I've only had one bike.
However, on the eve of Christmas eve, I splurged on getting a Miyata 1000LT off ebay (supposed to be one of the best vintage touring bikes ever made).

The thing is, are any of you guys happier with just one bike?

Most bike nuts that I know of have around 3+: a pure roadie, commuter, maybe a mountain bike, and fixie.
On my end, I'm looking forward to my first non-folding bike in years (and properly fitting, too!).
I'm also thinking of paring away at my books, guitars (way too many), and woodworking tools.

Anyways, I've posted this on this sub-forum, since the C&V crowd seems to have the most bikes (8-10), the folder crowd has about 2-3 (mini-folder, moderate folder, full sized folders), and racers have about 2-3 bikes as well.
I am probably going to be the odd man out here but I have too many other hobbies to really invest in 3+ bikes let alone two. I used to have my carbon road bike and a carbon hardtail but soon realized that 90% of the time I was doing all road and I just don't ride enough to have so much money tied up in bikes. Again I am probably the minority here. Like I said I have other hobbies like building computers which also can be very expensive.

Nothing wrong with multiple bikes if that's what your into, I have heard some people having 7-8 bikes and all of them being pretty top end. For me even if I had the space, money, and time the fact remains that bikes depreciate at an insane rate and eventually break down
Old 06-05-19, 07:36 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Jrasero
I am probably going to be the odd man out here but I have too many other hobbies to really invest in 3+ bikes let alone two. I used to have my carbon road bike and a carbon hardtail but soon realized that 90% of the time I was doing all road and I just don't ride enough to have so much money tied up in bikes. Again I am probably the minority here. Like I said I have other hobbies like building computers which also can be very expensive.

Nothing wrong with multiple bikes if that's what your into, I have heard some people having 7-8 bikes and all of them being pretty top end. For me even if I had the space, money, and time the fact remains that bikes depreciate at an insane rate and eventually break down
I'm with you. I'm into house renovations now. I'm £55k deep in my current one with another £45k to go. I'm probably end up taking the equity out and buying another house when I change countries again. I end up keeping bike around the planet (Copenhagen, Munich, UK, Hungary, etc...) and have n+1 that way I guess

I now just use the bike for transport and don't want to waste the space/time/money with n+1 at my current residence.
Old 06-05-19, 09:36 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Cycling is a hobby passion love addiction for me so I have 3 for various uses and could easily get 2 more.

Road Bike - General riding, training, racing, group rides. Most of my recreational riding is done on this
CX Bike - Off Road, Commuter, Cyclocross. My easy rides are on this
TT Bike - Racing, training. I don't ride this very often, but I can't see myself selling it either.

I could also use a hardtail Mountain bike and a true commuter; something that I can lock up outside the store and not loose a major investment. I won't ride a crappy beater, but trying to do things car free can be risky if all your bikes are worth over 1,000. Grocery Stores, and Restaurants could care less about them, and half don't even have a place to lock them up.
Old 06-05-19, 04:33 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Some of us have dumb thoughts along the lines of: 'Now that I got this nice vintage bike with Columbus SLX, I think I should get a similar one built with Columbus SL, just to see how it compares...'

Seriously though, having built my own computer (well, assembled all of the component parts... I wasn't soldering the motherboard or anything), I found it nowhere near as satisfying as building up a bike (again, just assembling components to a frame, no soldering or welding). What is it about computer building that does it for you?

Also, if you get a top-end vintage bike, it probably won't depreciate too much in the short term, if at all.
Old 06-05-19, 06:45 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Some of us have dumb thoughts along the lines of: 'Now that I got this nice vintage bike with Columbus SLX, I think I should get a similar one built with Columbus SL, just to see how it compares...'

Seriously though, having built my own computer (well, assembled all of the component parts... I wasn't soldering the motherboard or anything), I found it nowhere near as satisfying as building up a bike (again, just assembling components to a frame, no soldering or welding). What is it about computer building that does it for you?

Also, if you get a top-end vintage bike, it probably won't depreciate too much in the short term, if at all.
For me I love tech, it used to be cellphones but to me the cellphones have become stale. It's pretty easy to build a computer quite frankly so I focus only on small form factor ones that are 20L or less in volume while trying to pump the most amount of performance into them. This becomes a huge problem of trying to balance size, performance, heat, noise, and cost. Actually a lot of planning and research goes into every build, which I would imagine building a bike would be like. I am not someone who buys anything on a whim but tend to do a ton of research and try to get the best deal possible. There is a fairly big community for SFF computing and like here we are constantly sharing advice, builds, and even trading/selling parts because again like cycling this is a very expensive hobby.

Someone once told me it's not really the destination that matters but the journey there that sometimes is the most enjoyable and for PC building it's all about the prep and anticipation. A course there is some showmanship displaying our builds kind of like people showing off their bikes, builds, and Strava pics. There is no end to what you can accomplish kind of like cycling where you are constantly reevaluating your goals.

Some guy just posted how his wife and him are going to see a marriage counselor and one of her qualms his constant biking. While my wife doesn't mind my biking since I think it motivates her to go to the gym she isn't as found with my PC building since I tend to lock myself in my "office" tinkering for hours on end. She constantly reminds me if I play with it so much I am going to break it lol
Old 06-05-19, 06:48 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
I always had just one bike. Then my ex and I were divorced. I now have 4 bikes, one less than I had last year. I could certainly get by with just one bike. However, I really love riding a bike and I really like bikes. I am about to acquire a frame/fork, for just the cost of going to get it. Then I am going to sink some dollars into it to build it up. I have a vision for what I want to do and a sort of budget for that. I also really like BikeForums and get much enjoyment and help from the posts, and members. My favorite part is all the pictures of all the incredible bikes that I get to swoon over. It's a bike, bike,bike world.
Old 06-05-19, 08:07 PM
medic75

Bikes: '19 Trek Stache 5, '17 DB Hannjo Trail, '09 Scott CR1 Pro, Schwinn Central commuter, '16 DB El Oso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
For me - 3 bikes

1. Gravel bike for commuting, fun, & everything else during late spring, summer, & early fall.
2. Cheap Schwinn BSO with fenders, disc brakes, & studded tires for winter weather commuting
3. 29+ mountain bike for dedicated trail riding.

Advantage of multiple bikes - even when one is broken, or getting a tune up, you always have something else to ride.
Old 06-05-19, 10:03 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I have three bikes. A Electra Townie 21d with Cafe bars, front basket, rear rack(Commuter), an Electra Townie 21d with Bullhorn Bars, front basket, Fenders, and rear rack(Commuter, but in the shop); and a Sixthreezero EvryJourney 7 Speed fenders, rear rack (Weekend bike). I got good deals, and it keeps me on a bicycle if one is in the shop. I used to own two scooters/motorcycles.

Last edited by alloo; 06-05-19 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-06-19, 05:31 AM
nuxx 

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac SL6, Custom Carbon Flatbar, Giant XTC Composite 29er, Trek FX 7.6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
Currently at 4 bikes

Homebrew Carbon Di2 flatbar commuter
Giant Composite hardtail MTB
Trek Madone road bike
Trek FX 7.6 hybrid

...and IT'S NOT ENOUGH... plotting a fixie build and eyeing an electric cargo bike ...happiness is in positive correlation with the numbers of bikes I own!
Old 06-06-19, 11:24 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Someone once told me it's not really the destination that matters but the journey there that sometimes is the most enjoyable and for PC building it's all about the prep and anticipation. A course there is some showmanship displaying our builds kind of like people showing off their bikes, builds, and Strava pics. There is no end to what you can accomplish kind of like cycling where you are constantly reevaluating your goals.
I know what you mean, and agree that you can draw a lot of parallels between the two activities. I guess I was just saying that I really enjoy riding the bikes that I have built, while the computer I built is just another computer to me. Now it just does computer stuff, kind of like the others (just to elaborate, though, it was probably the complete opposite of your builds. Being my first time, I just got a full size case and figured it would give me more room to work and give me the chance to add stuff later. The hardware I used wasn't anything special either. I think the most fun for me was setting up all the fans).

Originally Posted by medic75
Advantage of multiple bikes - even when one is broken, or getting a tune up, you always have something else to ride.
This is very true.
Old 06-06-19, 12:19 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Flat tire in the morning?, grab your back up bike.. and get to work on time..
Old 06-06-19, 12:43 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I could probably get by with one for transportation/commuting purposes, but it would be a hassle up here in the land of ice and snow (Wisconsin). I find it easier to have my fast but crappy single speed bike for good weather and an old MTB for winter; this means that I do not have to constantly change out the studded tires in the fall and spring. The MTB is also good for trailer hauls, which have become frequent since I dumped my car five years ago.

In real life, I got bit by the road bug and also have a crabon road bike and aluminum gravel bike.
Old 06-06-19, 10:18 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Specialized Diverge 1x gravel for commuting
Specialized Roubaix road for, well, the road
FELT F55X cyclocross that I need to get rid of SOON

I can imagine I will eventually get rid of the Diverge since I will be retiring in a couple of months, but I really love that bike.. I expect I will pick up a utility in its place.
Old 06-07-19, 06:50 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
Often, when I ride one of my bikes, I think to myself, "If I had only one bike, this would be the one," and yet it happens with most of them, even though they are pretty different. I'm glad I can afford a few. I really don't need more than one, but I like having them.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-07-19, 10:20 AM
AlmostGreenGuy
Intrepid Bicycle Commuter

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 34 Posts
  • Vintage sport touring bike: Check
  • Gravel Grinder: Check
  • Vintage mountain bike: Check
  • SS/Fixed gear: Check
  • Tandem: Check
  • Old crappy bike on trainer in the basement: Check
If I were honest with myself, I could probably live with just the sport touring and the mountain bike. I adore them both, and they're rock solid reliable. They get 90% of the ride time.

But the gravel grinder and single speed are both awesome for when I go to ride in to work in the morning, and find that I have a flat tire. The tandem makes it much easier to transport a canoe with my daughter.
Old 06-07-19, 10:32 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 2,511 Posts
Vintage road bikes are just as good as modern for almost all purposes (depending on how you feel about brifters vs downtube), but I highly recommend you try out a modern mountain bike. The technology has made radical improvements since 'vintage'. Hydraulic disk brakes, affordable air shocks instead of coil or elastomer, wider tubeless tires (so you might as well just have a rigid frame like my Krampus), excellent shifting systems with greater range (for instance 1x10 with a 11-44 cassette, a narrow-wide chainring, and a clutched derailleur), not to mention fluff features like dropper posts, remote-fork-lockout switches, etc.
Old 06-07-19, 02:27 PM
robertorolfo

Originally Posted by noglider
Often, when I ride one of my bikes, I think to myself, "If I had only one bike, this would be the one," and yet it happens with most of them, even though they are pretty different. I'm glad I can afford a few. I really don't need more than one, but I like having them.
This is so true. And for me it is generally followed a few days later by a ride on another bike where I say, 'Oh, man, I really love this bike. I can't get rid of it...'
Old 06-09-19, 01:05 AM
7up

Bikes: Aurelia*Bianchi*Cannondale*Colnago*Dahon*Giant*Haro*Lynsky*Monkey Faction*Origin8*Panasonic*Paramont*Peugeot*Ross*Schwinn*SE*Specialized*Trek

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
Have multiple bikes and a few I now realize were mistakes and a few doubles.It crosses my mind to thin out the herd from time to time and simplify my life since I’ve been wanting to try my hand at tiny house living.A few of my close friends tease me that I’ll need a tiny house for all my bikes.I have a few ideas to accomplish this storage problem.Should be interesting.
Old 06-09-19, 01:38 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Vintage road bikes are just as good as modern for almost all purposes (depending on how you feel about brifters vs downtube), but I highly recommend you try out a modern mountain bike. The technology has made radical improvements since 'vintage'. Hydraulic disk brakes, affordable air shocks instead of coil or elastomer, wider tubeless tires (so you might as well just have a rigid frame like my Krampus), excellent shifting systems with greater range (for instance 1x10 with a 11-44 cassette, a narrow-wide chainring, and a clutched derailleur), not to mention fluff features like dropper posts, remote-fork-lockout switches, etc.
I agree. The technology is great but the price point remains relatively high.
Old 06-13-19, 02:30 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
how do you store them all in NYC?
Old 06-15-19, 10:24 AM
FrontFive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm trying to reduce the number of bikes I own:
  • Surly Ice Cream Truck
  • Cube step through bike
  • Calibre dirt jump bike
  • Gazelle Tour Populaire
  • Merckx EM525
  • Brompton (in bits at present - I need to fit a new rear triangle)
  • HP Veloteknik Speed Machine
The only ones I know that I want to keep for definite are the Cube and the Brompton because they have a clear utility. The only one that I definitely want to move on is the Gazelle. I thought I wanted to move the others on but I don't need to and there is something to admire about each of them. I don't ride them very often but when I do they bring a distinct sense of joy that I would not be able to find elsewhere. They also have a unique utility. I mean I could to ride the pump track on the Surly but it wouldn't be much fun. And I could try to go on a fast ride with the HPV but it wouldn't be as good as the Merckx, or different enough to be warrant having both anyway.

I think the point of this is that my main priority for a bicycle is transportation and cargo carrying but after that they are enablers of experience, which can be quite specialist. But ultimately I just love the design, the engineering and the aesthetics of bicycles and I think that is why I own so many.
Old 06-15-19, 10:42 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 328 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Flat tire in the morning?, grab your back up bike.. and get to work on time..
+1.

Commuter
Old 06-17-19, 03:36 PM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
No. I have two bikes. The first one (20 yrs old) is now my winter/rain/grocery bike. It's the bike I'm more comfortable locking up outside. And the new one is my baby. It worked out well as the 26" studded were more affordable than 27.5's would have been. I believe buy having two bikes, each for there purpose, I ride more than I would with just one.
Old 06-18-19, 08:44 AM
Philphine

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
haven't had one bike since i was about 12. i scraped bikes together constantly 'til 5 of my best were stolen in my 20's. kinda got away from bikes then, but still had 2 or 3. much later i learned some basic welding and went back at it even worse. i got bikes i liked and others for freakbike/stretch cruiser projects.

even for commuting (and i'm not really a commuter) i have two of the same bike, just got a line on another (edit: got it), and in my head the idea calls for 4 (essentially not have to make changes for seasons, conditions, etc.)

Last edited by Philphine; 06-27-19 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-18-19, 09:17 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
how do you store them all in NYC?
Our space is larger than most. I keep one in the apartment, one in the building's bike room, and two in the basement. I'm lucky to have this much space and tolerant neighbors and wife. The bikes in the basement might violate the fire code (blocking a path of egress), but so far, so good.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.