Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Pearl Izumi v Louis Garneau v Castelli v Other?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Pearl Izumi v Louis Garneau v Castelli v Other?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-19, 08:06 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
LG fit sensor 2.
Bibs and shorts. Had to extend the straps on the bibs due to height, but that only shows how much i like the fit- I was willing to adjust them just to have bibs match the shorts I like.

The pad is thin compared to the PI and other brands ive tried(3 other brands). I like that. And there is no silicone grip which is great since I hate that silicone junk.

Everyone is different for fit and whatnot.
Old 06-10-19, 05:41 AM
OUGrad05

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by fastcarbon
The rest was: a shower after the ride using antibacterial soap and applying ASSOS after ride Skin Repair Gel (available from Amazon - expensive but use only a little dab on each affected area). That gel allowed me to ride again the next day. I had a bike fitting by an Olympic coach but I was already spot-on. The coach recommended an SQ Lab seat which I bought that matched my "sit" bones. The seat recommendation was based on a suggestion that older guys should use a "Hammock" seat like an SMP. The SQ Lab saddle was a model 612 active and has worked well. I ride 200 mi weeks with no saddle sore problems. I use Chamois butter every ride. Until a couple years ago I could use any chamois short with no lube.
Good to know, these aren't really saddle sores in the bacterial sense, it's where my skin has been rubbed raw. This is the third time it's happened, they all get better with no medication so I don't think its bacterial. I do wash the area obviously but I don't use anything special, just soap when I'm in the shower.

I have no chamois butter I will look at that. I'll also check out SQ lab.
Old 06-10-19, 08:25 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Body Glide will help.

It's available at just about any sporing goods store, running store, REI.

Old 06-10-19, 10:02 AM
ridethetown

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Specialized Diverge Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Bronson S Aluminum 27.5, 2014 Wabi Classic (Fixed)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Your prostate health is on the line if you buy the wrong pair of bibs?
Just wow...
I hope you didn’t damage your prostate too badly in that decade you referenced
I've had my problems - thanks for your concern. Doing very well now.

Yes, if you're riding 200-300 miles/week in the wrong bibs you can subject yourself to increased injury rates. I'd consider fitness and bike fit #'s 1-2 in terms of importance, then pad, then shoes, then gloves. You will also be more comfortable and perform better. Saturday I rode 65 miles in my Rapha Classic bibs then had to dust off my cheap PI long tights for an unexpected cold snap yesterday - I literally got off the bike to make sure I grabbed padded tights. There's absolutely zero comparison.

Read my post again - I did not deny the ability to find good deals shopping sales or the notion that most brands make a worthwhile product somewhere in their line. I warned against only shopping sales if you really want to find the best bibs for you. Furthermore, I prefaced the entire point by starting with "in my experience..." I hope you didn't damage your brain too hard understanding the concept of others' personal experience.

Last edited by ridethetown; 06-10-19 at 10:21 AM.