Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Richmond cycling recommendations

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-19, 08:33 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts

Hello,

I will be visiting Richmond in a few weeks, and am looking for some recommendations on where to ride. Haven't decided if I'm bringing a road bike or mountain bike, but will most likely be a road bike (probably a fixed gear with drops). We will be in Colonial Heights more specifically (southeast Richmond). Looking to do some 30-50 mile rides. Thank you,

David
Old 06-10-19, 08:45 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
Hello,

I will be visiting Richmond in a few weeks, and am looking for some recommendations on where to ride. Haven't decided if I'm bringing a road bike or mountain bike, but will most likely be a road bike (probably a fixed gear with drops). We will be in Colonial Heights more specifically (southeast Richmond). Looking to do some 30-50 mile rides. Thank you,

David
Capital Trail, you can ride from Richmond to Williamsburg 50 miles each way for a total of 100.
Old 06-10-19, 08:52 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by jadocs
Capital Trail, you can ride from Richmond to Williamsburg 50 miles each way for a total of 100.
That does look pretty cool, saw it on Strava actually. Shouldn't be too far from where we're staying. What is the riding like there? Is it long and continuous, or more like riding on a sidewalk (and crossing lots of streets??).

How about the terrain in the area, would you say it's fairly flat? Didn't see a lot of hill climb segments on Strava.

Dave
Old 06-10-19, 08:54 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Asphalt trail flanking rural two-lane Route 5 through wooded and rolling terrain, with occasional crossings of the road.

If you're staying in Colonial Heights you'll take I-295 north to Route 5, exit eastbound and the trailhead at Four Mile Creek is on your left. Park and ride.
Old 06-10-19, 09:30 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
You could do one ride to downtown Richmond & another ride to hook up onto Virginia Capital Trail. In 2015 I drove to Richmond & took bike in 2015 to see the cycling championships & stayed at Pocahontas SP campground which is near Colonial Heights. Original plan was to bike from campground to downtown but since I already had the car, some locals advised to drive downtown. The roads tend to be older & narrow but I think perhaps OK outside of rush hour esp if one picks a a less direct route.

Downtown Richmond & Monument Ave is quite scenic. Libby Hill & 23rd St cobbles might be an interesting challenge on a fixie! Capital Trail is nice & smooth & basically flat.
Old 06-11-19, 05:31 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by DropBarFan
You could do one ride to downtown Richmond & another ride to hook up onto Virginia Capital Trail. In 2015 I drove to Richmond & took bike in 2015 to see the cycling championships & stayed at Pocahontas SP campground which is near Colonial Heights. Original plan was to bike from campground to downtown but since I already had the car, some locals advised to drive downtown. The roads tend to be older & narrow but I think perhaps OK outside of rush hour esp if one picks a a less direct route.

Downtown Richmond & Monument Ave is quite scenic. Libby Hill & 23rd St cobbles might be an interesting challenge on a fixie! Capital Trail is nice & smooth & basically flat.
I will definitely have to try these ideas out. Cobbles sound very interesting, will be ready to clip out Appreciate the info all, will have to try out capital trail and downtown too.

Dave
Old 06-11-19, 06:57 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
I forgot about US Bicycle Route 1/ACA Atlantic Route. I rode from NoVA down to Richmond, nice quiet roads, a lot of locals riding up to Glen Allen (IIRC) & back. BR 1 also goes from Richmond south to the NC border. Actually BR1/ACA Atlantic was a bit more interesting than the Capital Trail--more varied terrain & wildlife etc. OTOH the Capital Trail gets very scenic near Williamsburg with great views of the James River & the final stretch along the Colonial Parkway is quite grand.