Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

is it safe to ride with more than 3cm of spacers?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-16, 08:03 AM
Beerope

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm 6 foot tall and I have got an M size frame, with a 54cm top tube. My bike fitter told me that I would need a 130mm or 140mm stem to get a proper fit. Additionally, I need to stack around 5 pieces of 10mm spacers below my stem, so as to not be riding in an overly aggressive position. Would it be unsafe to ride a carbon fork with that many spacers, that forward?
Old 12-17-16, 08:13 AM
fa63

Bikes: A couple

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The typical limit for spacers is 3-4 cm. 5 cm might be too much, but the only one that can accurately answer your question is the fork manufacturer.

That said, you might be better off selling your undersized bike and buying a larger frame.
Old 12-17-16, 08:23 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
If you really need to raise your bars that much (I am not confident in this, but it's possible), get a riser stem. I use one, I believe it is 17 degrees.

ps did you try a L or XL frame? I suspect you are a size too small.
Old 12-17-16, 08:35 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
You probably shouldn't put any more time or money into a frame that is apparently two sizes too small. Plenty of bikes available in your correct size.
Old 12-17-16, 08:43 AM
Beerope

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
You probably shouldn't put any more time or money into a frame that is apparently two sizes too small. Plenty of bikes available in your correct size.
i heard pros ride bikes 2 size smaller, which was why i got a small bike
Old 12-17-16, 08:53 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by Beerope
Sometimes, but pros also ride with 12cm bar drop. Getting too small a bike and then raising your bars for comfort is unwise IMO.
Old 12-17-16, 09:02 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

I expect you are joking, but I'll play along and state the obvious: What pros do has no relevance to any of us on Bike Forums. Anyway, a bike with a 140mm stem and 50mm of spacers is not likely to handle well. Don't know if it's ever been tried outside the DUI crowd.
Old 12-17-16, 09:28 AM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The pros also regularly ride in that "overly aggressive" position that you're trying to avoid.
Old 12-17-16, 09:38 AM
Beerope

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
would changing handle bar help my situation? I'm using Zipp SL70 Aero currently which is 70mm of reach and 70mm of drop. Would i help if i use bars with further reach?
Old 12-17-16, 10:05 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

At this point you may need to investigate Back-up Barz.

Honestly, you are better off going back to the shop with your tail between your legs and ask for a better fitting bike.
Old 12-17-16, 10:08 AM
Bikeracer123

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Roubaix Ultegra 2014 Cannondale Supersix Black inc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Is this the Wilier @Beerope ?
Old 12-17-16, 10:10 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
I hate to say it, but you made a bad move, trying to imitate people who use a bicycle very differently than you intend to.

Buying a bike like the pros do only makes sense if you plan to ride to like the pros do--which means bent all the way over, stretched all the way forward, which is exactly what you do Not want. Buying a bike "like the pros do" makes no sense ... it would be no different than buying a bike like a pro mountain biker rides, and then trying to ride on the street. By the bike built for the job you intend it to do.

You can ride with 50 mm of spacers safely---I checked it out when I bought my frame. You can add a 140 mm stem to that .... but the balance of the bike might be terrible. Likely the designers didn't intend to have that much weight that far forward, and that boat-tiller stem will affect steering response. I doubt the length of the stem will overstress the steerer tube ... the spacers should provide enough support. Not sure, mind you ....

Could it work? Define "work". If you like it, it works for you. However ...

No One will think you look 'cool." No One will think you look like a "pro." Drivers of automobiles won't look beyond seeing another annoying cyclist making their drive more difficult ... and other cyclists will either see a cyclist, or, if they have sharp eyes, will see a cyclist on a ridiculously undersized frame who wasted his money buying the wrong bike.

Not that that matters. I got a 56 cm frame and run a fat stack of spacers and a riser stem (90 mm though) because I sketched out the frame geometry, and to fit my abnormally proportioned body on that frame that is what worked best for me. (I could have bought a frame with more relaxed geometry but I wanted to get the lightest frame possible, hoping I would grow into it, so to speak, as I rode more, allowing me to remove some spacers.)

I am sure a lot of people think I look odd when i ride ... but then, I am pretty sure people think i look odd all the time. I don't care.

For me it is all about function. I built a bike perfectly suited to my needs and my body and it is supremely comfortable and rides like a dream.

Your bike might end up being the same for you, even with a hand's width of spacers and a riser stem as long as your forearm. You might ride it and love it and not care. On the other hand, it might never quite work properly, might feel sluggish turning in, might never feel quite like it fits you ...

If you haven't damaged the bike in any way, I'd return it for a 56 (at least) and forget what the pros do ... Buy the bike that works for the way You ride, not the bike that only works for some imaginary other person who will never ride it.
Old 12-17-16, 10:25 AM
Beerope

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikeracer123
Is this the Wilier @Beerope ?
yes it is
Old 12-17-16, 10:26 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fa63
The typical limit for spacers is 3-4 cm. 5 cm might be too much, but the only one that can accurately answer your question is the fork manufacturer.

That said, you might be better off selling your undersized bike and buying a larger frame.
Or do you think you might become comfortable with more drop and a shorter stem?

I'm also 6-0 and ride bikes that are nominally 54 cm, but with 110mm stems. Over the course of a year, I gradually dropped the stem on one bike, and the race bike has more drop to begin with. I seem to recall starting with a longer stem, too....
Old 12-17-16, 10:27 AM
Beerope

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I hate to say it, but you made a bad move, trying to imitate people who use a bicycle very differently than you intend to.

Buying a bike like the pros do only makes sense if you plan to ride to like the pros do--which means bent all the way over, stretched all the way forward, which is exactly what you do Not want. Buying a bike "like the pros do" makes no sense ... it would be no different than buying a bike like a pro mountain biker rides, and then trying to ride on the street. By the bike built for the job you intend it to do.

You can ride with 50 mm of spacers safely---I checked it out when I bought my frame. You can add a 140 mm stem to that .... but the balance of the bike might be terrible. Likely the designers didn't intend to have that much weight that far forward, and that boat-tiller stem will affect steering response. I doubt the length of the stem will overstress the steerer tube ... the spacers should provide enough support. Not sure, mind you ....

Could it work? Define "work". If you like it, it works for you. However ...

No One will think you look 'cool." No One will think you look like a "pro." Drivers of automobiles won't look beyond seeing another annoying cyclist making their drive more difficult ... and other cyclists will either see a cyclist, or, if they have sharp eyes, will see a cyclist on a ridiculously undersized frame who wasted his money buying the wrong bike.

Not that that matters. I got a 56 cm frame and run a fat stack of spacers and a riser stem (90 mm though) because I sketched out the frame geometry, and to fit my abnormally proportioned body on that frame that is what worked best for me. (I could have bought a frame with more relaxed geometry but I wanted to get the lightest frame possible, hoping I would grow into it, so to speak, as I rode more, allowing me to remove some spacers.)

I am sure a lot of people think I look odd when i ride ... but then, I am pretty sure people think i look odd all the time. I don't care.

For me it is all about function. I built a bike perfectly suited to my needs and my body and it is supremely comfortable and rides like a dream.

Your bike might end up being the same for you, even with a hand's width of spacers and a riser stem as long as your forearm. You might ride it and love it and not care. On the other hand, it might never quite work properly, might feel sluggish turning in, might never feel quite like it fits you ...

If you haven't damaged the bike in any way, I'd return it for a 56 (at least) and forget what the pros do ... Buy the bike that works for the way You ride, not the bike that only works for some imaginary other person who will never ride it.
thanks. unfortunately, returning it is not an option
Old 12-17-16, 11:58 AM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
would changing handle bar help my situation? I'm using Zipp SL70 Aero currently which is 70mm of reach and 70mm of drop. Would i help if i use bars with further reach?
Your only solutions are to run it like a semi pro fit, with a little bit more comfort, 1-2cm spacers and 130-140mm stem with maybe a 17 degree rise, or a new bike. The first option will have you with a good bit of drop but can be tolerable. I would not buy a bike based on what the pros run, unless I have had experience and I know I can back the fit up.
Old 12-17-16, 12:18 PM
Fiery

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
A 0 degree stem would be an OK compromise in order to minimize the amount of spacers while avoiding the flipped-up look... but your Tiagra-bashing pals might still laugh at you.
Old 12-17-16, 01:03 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
The rest of the bad news is that raising the bars also moves them backwards about 1/3 of the amount that they are raised. That means you will need an even longer stem than the already ridiculous 140 mm one you are contemplating, about 10 mm for every three 10 mm spacers. You really need to get rid of that bike before you hurt yourself.

BTW different bars won't help if you ride the tops at all. They don't change with bar design.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 12-17-16, 03:08 PM
Brian25

Bikes: Road, mountain and track bikes and tandems.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
As someone who has owned bicycle stores for over 12 ears and in the industry for over 20, I can tell you there is not one answer the industry standard for headset spacers are a) 30mm for a fork with a carbon steer, b) 40mm with an aluminum steer and c) no limit on a steel steer. On the top tube length; factors to consider; what kind of riding/ racing do you intend on doing. I do not know when you say 54 cm. It has to be measured carefully. if you have a 32mm seat tube you need to put a piece of pointed making tape exactly at 16mm (center) and the head tube as well and then using a measuring yard stick and a level on a straight across plane.
If its indeed 54 cm, for almost any use, it seems short to me. I am short (5 - 6") and road frames for myself tend to be 53/ 54 cm. If someone called me up who was six feet tall, I would suggest a 57 or58cm top tube minimum.
Old 12-17-16, 03:57 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
There's nothing wrong with it at all.

Go ride your bike and forget about what the naysayers in this thread have told you.
Old 12-17-16, 04:03 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
@Beerope gets a kudos from me. Top effort in all of your threads.
Old 12-17-16, 04:09 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
It's not only the spacers, it's the total leverage in the system. The long extension combined with that many spacers is (IMO) over the margin of forgiveness.

If you're a light rider who doesn't work the bars when climbing or sprinting, it might be OK, but you are definitely pushing the envelope.

I can't resist asking ---- WTF did you buy hat small a frame for? Apparently you need both height and length, so I just don't get how you ended up with one this size.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-17-16, 07:32 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by FBinNY
I can't resist asking ---- WTF did you buy hat small a frame for? Apparently you need both height and length, so I just don't get how you ended up with one this size.
He said because that's what the pro's do, see post #5 above.

:facepalm:
Old 12-17-16, 08:01 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

I think he was joking about the pros. Seriously, OP, whatever deal you got on the bike, you need to move on. Strip it and sell on CL, get something that fits even if it's not as fancy.
Old 12-17-16, 08:11 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
IME "is it safe?" of this type are like when a woman asks if her dress makes her look fat.

The person asking knows the answer, but is asking hoping folks will lie and make them feel better. If I don't know them I give a straight answer, even if it's bad news. Of course, if married to the person asking, I lie.

To the OP --- this frame is too small for you, and you can't stretch it like a pair of tight shoes.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.