Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Are new wheels worth the expense on a $600 hybrid?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 06-17-19, 08:33 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts

I have a 2017 Specialized Crosstrail that I use as a commuter bike.

I'm running the original stock wheels

An LBS tried to talk me into upgrading the wheels on it last summer when I had the rear bearing repaired. I didn't know enough to know if this was a valid upgrade or if they were looking at me as an easy mark.

Keeping in mind that I would never buy super high end wheels for this bike as the whole bike was only $600 new. Could lower cost new wheels be a noticeable upgrade?

And how so? Lighter? Faster? Stronger? Bake muffins on the way to work? What could new wheels do for me?

Or is this a "If they break one day...then buy new ones. Or just get a new bike at that point" sort of situation?
Old 06-17-19, 09:46 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts
Not at all.
But some of us have two sets of wheels with different tires mounted. I have one set with slicks for commuting on pavement and one set wide MTB type tire for when I want to do a bit of off-roading. Easier to swap wheels than tires for me.
Old 06-17-19, 11:38 AM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by crazyravr
Not at all.
But some of us have two sets of wheels with different tires mounted. I have one set with slicks for commuting on pavement and one set wide MTB type tire for when I want to do a bit of off-roading. Easier to swap wheels than tires for me.
Something like that I imagine I could set up cheap, getting take off wheels from a similar bike. I've thought about that for the same reasons.

But you see no value to upgrading the daily use wheels At least not a value that is warranted for a $600 bike?
Old 06-17-19, 11:52 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Who cares what the bike originally cost? Would new wheels make you happier in some way? If not, then skip it.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 06-17-19 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-17-19, 12:37 PM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Who cares what the bike originally cost? Would new wheels make you happier in some way? If not, then skip it.
Well that was the question.

Would they make me happier?

Would nicer wheels roll better? Be rounder? Give me a shoulder rub every few miles?

Or would I not notice the difference?

If I broke a wheel I'd probably replace it rather than repair it because I'm of the opinion that repairing low end parts isn't usually as cost effective after a certain point as buying a higher quality part to replace it.

The repair I did last year cost like $12 for parts and labor...so that made sense. But I wouldn't pay $150 to repair a stock wheel.

But with 2 functioning wheels, is there any point to replacement for the sake of replacement?
Old 06-17-19, 12:57 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 118 Posts
I replaced my wheels on my Crosstrail, since, well, rear wheel broke (several spokes and slightly warped wheel) essentially since I attempted to use it as a mountain bike with my son a few years ago. Bought new mountain bike wheels, not high quality, but stronger and it takes bumps better. I don't feel as much road imperfections like I did prior, theyre more muted. But new wheels are bit heavier and takes abuse alot more than my original wheels on trails like the C&O.

I too have two sets, one for trails, one with road tires on them. Got tired of constantly switching tires when needed.
Likes For travbikeman:
Old 06-17-19, 12:59 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 118 Posts
It is possible, you may just need to save the money to go to the baker to buy fresh muffins and to go to masseuse for should rubs.
Old 06-17-19, 01:05 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
Well that was the question.

Would they make me happier?

Would nicer wheels roll better? Be rounder? Give me a shoulder rub every few miles?

Or would I not notice the difference?

If I broke a wheel I'd probably replace it rather than repair it because I'm of the opinion that repairing low end parts isn't usually as cost effective after a certain point as buying a higher quality part to replace it.

The repair I did last year cost like $12 for parts and labor...so that made sense. But I wouldn't pay $150 to repair a stock wheel.

But with 2 functioning wheels, is there any point to replacement for the sake of replacement?
It all depends on what the new wheels are. Always better to run to something rather than away from something else. New wheels might be lighter, tubeless compatible, more aero, wider, or any number of things in combination. Have a clear goal before you start shopping. If you don't, you're liable to make a lateral move and end up disappointed when there truly is no improvement to feel.

I've never paid more than $350 for a complete bike (it was used), but I've never regretted building up new wheels for any project.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 06-17-19, 01:27 PM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
It all depends on what the new wheels are. Always better to run to something rather than away from something else. New wheels might be lighter, tubeless compatible, more aero, wider, or any number of things in combination. Have a clear goal before you start shopping. If you don't, you're liable to make a lateral move and end up disappointed when there truly is no improvement to feel.

I've never paid more than $350 for a complete bike (it was used), but I've never regretted building up new wheels for any project.
Now that answers the question perfectly.

I don't need to change anything about my wheels. So anything I did within the price range I'd be willing to spend would be a lateral move and therefor not worth it.
Old 06-17-19, 01:38 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Looking at it from another perspective, I think that new wheels will gain you exactly the same on a $600 hybrid as they will on a $3,000 bike. I don't know if it would be worth it, but it isn't related to the cost of the bike IMO.
Old 06-17-19, 02:27 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
If you haven't noticed a problem with stockwheels, just leave as is. Good new wheels cost $500 if you build them yourself, more if you pay for labor. No limit upwards. So it is questionable to do for a $600 bike.
Old 06-17-19, 03:02 PM
idiotekniQues

Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite - custom 1x9 setup

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I put $5-600 wheels on a $300 used hybrid bike as part of a master plan to upgrade all the parts on the hybrid and then buy a new frame and throw all the nice parts on the new nice frame. It took 3-4 years but it paid off handsomely.
Old 06-17-19, 06:34 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
I swapped wheels on my $600 Giant Roam, but it was to move to 584mm wheels (also called 27.5", or 650b). I consider this a nice upgrade from the stock 622mm wheels (also called 29", or 700c). I am running a 2.1" tire (52-584) and it's about the same overall diameter as a 35-622 or so. The stock tires were 38mm, so it's very close overall to stock. The new wheels (WTB SX19, with Novatec hubs) are pretty nice. The hubs used cartridge bearings vs. cup-and-cone, and they're super smooth. They were $139 on eBay (and Amazon, from the same seller), Continental X-King 2.2 tires included. Killer deal.
Old 06-17-19, 08:29 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 591 Posts
Quick answer: yes, if ...

you like the frame and its fit/geometry works for you, and if ...

you like the feel of a lighter, quicker-handling bike.

Replacing the stock wheels on almost any bike with something nicer/lighter will reduce overall weight, quicken the handling, and therefore, in my opinion, make the bike nicer to ride.

I currently have three bikes. None are 'high end'; all have new wheelsets (none 'high end') replacing stock boat anchors: typically dropping bare wheel weight (f/r) from around 2100 grams to 1600. Result: lighter bikes, nicer to ride. The effect is increased by also buying lighter, nicer, better tires. Bonus: slightly easier to carry upstairs.

If none of this matters to you (op), and your stock wheels are working well ... don't bother. Money wasted. If you want to lighten a bike you otherwise like, and make it feel a little more lively ... money spent on better wheels/tires is money well spent.

Simples.