Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What is up with my online fit? 6'2" on a 56cm frame?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-11, 09:38 PM
qfish

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Newb here trying to get into some fitness riding and, provided that goes well, group rides as well. I'm looking for my first true road bike and would prefer to get the most bang for my buck going used (eBay, CL, etc.). The problem I'm having with the used route at this point is fitting. Enter competitive cyclist's online fitting system.

The problem is that I'm getting what I think are some pretty wacky results. I'm a legit 6'2", and all of the LBS's I have been in have eyeballed me for at least a 58cm frame--some have even suggested 60+cm might be more appropriate. But CC's fitting system tells me I need a 56cm effective top tube length (results attached as a picture to this thread).

So what's the deal? Do I just have a short torso/arms for my height?

I took a 58cm Scott CR1 for a spin around the parking lot (whatever that is worth), and it felt good. But I don't really trust myself on the feel, since I don't really know what I'm talking about, and a 2 minute parking lot ride might feel ok on a frame that would kill me over the course of 20 miles.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Disclaimer: I fully expect I'll get suggestions to get a professional fitting from a trained physiologist. And I'm ok with that if I really need to do it. But it seems that the LBS's around here either charge $100+ for a pro-fit (not opposed if absolutely necessary) or more commonly know even less about fitting and road bikes than I do having read BF for a few weeks (I always act like I know a lot less than I do to see if these shops really know what they are talking about). Plus I'm not really one to go in and ask for a fit knowing full well I don't intend on buying there. I'll buy local if it's the only way to get a proper fit but would really prefer to get a used bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
fit.jpg (54.2 KB, 235 views)

Last edited by qfish; 07-01-11 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-01-11, 09:50 PM
DropDeadFred

Bikes: 2013 orca

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i would figure a 58-60 for that height...going by what I've researched before I bought my bike. at 5'10" im riding a 57" but they didnt make a 56 for me which would be ideal but I have long arms and legs so it fits comfortably. I've seen big guys on little bikes before...you'll have the seat jacked up and the bars way out as well I'm sure...

one thing i have noticed...if you buy used the 60cm bikes are readily available and sell for less because the market for them is not as big. Ive had to pass on some killer deals just because the bikes were too big
Old 07-01-11, 09:51 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
I started on a used bike. Rode it 1500 miles. Got in shape and determined what size I needed.

You would need a 60-61 with 175 crank arms.

Old 07-01-11, 09:57 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
I am 6 ft, ride a 60 cm, now have put 31,000 miles on it.

Old 07-01-11, 10:02 PM
qfish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, that's what I would expect too from what I've been researching. I may just bite the bullet and pay for the pro-fit so there is no doubt. I will say that I tried a 61cm CAAD8, and it felt really stretched out to me--unnaturally so in a way that the 58cm Scott CR1 I tried was not. But again, I don't really know what a proper fit would feel like.
Old 07-01-11, 10:09 PM
DropDeadFred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pro fit post purchase...your height will tell you what you need to be on then they will spend hours tweaking the smallest details to make the bike "yours"
Old 07-01-11, 10:13 PM
GaryL

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just went through a similar scenario as you with frame sizes. I'm 6'1'' and had a 60cm bike that caused me back and neck pain after "so many miles." I went to my local bike shop and the owner took one look at me "spinning," and said I'm all legs with a too short torso. While my height works for a ~ 60 cm frame, my reach to the handlebars was too far. He said he could "make it work" for me with a 56 cm frame while jacking the seat in the air something akin to a unicycle-look.

I opted for a custom frame, and have never been more comfortable for long rides on bikes. Hope this helps.
Old 07-01-11, 10:13 PM
Stratman351

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 6 '1" and have had two bikes professionally fitted - at different stores. One is a 56 and the other a 56.5,
Old 07-01-11, 10:19 PM
DropDeadFred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tons of pro riders ride bikes "too small" smaller bikes respond better because of a smaller wheel base...like tri bikes. now going too large is tougher to fit. I would think as a beginner something that is a more comfortable fit would be more correct.
Old 07-01-11, 10:20 PM
qfish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Guys. This makes me think that maybe the online fit isn't so crazy after all. I'm actually just a few streets down from all3sports, so I might just buy their pro fit for $125. If I get the bike there, they will take it off the price of the bike. If not, it'll be money well spent knowing that I have the right specs to take and get a used bike that fits me.
Old 07-01-11, 10:22 PM
x136 
phony collective progress

Bikes: https://velospace.org/user/36663

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by qfish
So what's the deal? Do I just have a short torso/arms for my height?
Probably.

You and I have about the same dimensions. 6'2", ~35.5" inseam, recommended a 56-57 cm TT, 59-62 cm ST frame. All I can say is: Good friggin' luck, and even more so if you like modern frames. The current "trend" in sizing seems to be short seat tubes and long top tubes. So if you size by top tube, you end up with a very short seat tube with eight feet of seat post and a thousand headset spacers (or lots of saddle-to-bar drop). That said, some manufacturers are using taller headtubes, so you might have better luck than I did a few years ago.

Things were different a few decades ago. There is a decent selection of 80s steel in the dimensions you need, such as the one I picked up a while back, with a 62cm seat tube and a 56.5cm top tube.
Old 07-01-11, 10:23 PM
qfish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DropDeadFred
tons of pro riders ride bikes "too small" smaller bikes respond better because of a smaller wheel base...like tri bikes. now going too large is tougher to fit. I would think as a beginner something that is a more comfortable fit would be more correct.
Yeah--I'm definitely going for comfort. I'm never going to race and have been looking at some of the "performance" based geometries with taller headtubes. The problem is lots of these local shops just take two looks at me and say I "definitely" need at least a 60cm bike. The more I ask, the more it becomes clear to me they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. (All3sports does not fall into this category--they seemed very knowledgeable, just expensive).
Old 07-01-11, 10:26 PM
Squirrelli
GONE~

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 5'9" with 34.5" inseams, I need top tube lengths in the 51-52cm + 100ishmm stem to fit properly. Finding a good frame sucks for me.
Old 07-01-11, 10:28 PM
qfish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
X136--great info. That all makes a lot of sense. Thanks to all who have responded. This place is great!
Old 07-01-11, 10:29 PM
lazerzxr

Bikes: Colnago C59 Italia Di2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm 6'2" and ride a 54. Internet bike fits are not the way to get a good fit

Edit, I also ride a 58 from a different manufacturer which gives exactly the same fit as the 54 when set up with different components
Old 07-01-11, 10:33 PM
jmio

Bikes: raleigh carbon competition, trek 6500 hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm 6'1" and ride a 56
Old 07-01-11, 10:35 PM
qfish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lazerzxr
I'm 6'2" and ride a 54. Internet bike fits are not the way to get a good fit
Yeah, I've read where it is spot on for some people, but I don't think I am ready to take that chance this time around.
Old 07-02-11, 12:32 AM
lhorn

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm 6'2" also and currently ride an older Cannondale r500 58cm. I think it's a touch small for me. In order to get my legs stretch out when at the bottom of my pedal stroke, I've got the seat jacked up pretty high. When I start to look for a new bike, I'm gonna start with the 60cm frames.
Old 07-02-11, 12:42 AM
DropDeadFred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
im not understanding why you would pay for a pro fit on a bike you dont even own yet....The bike shop will size you up...make your choice...then get fitted, and make sure you have your pedals and shoes or else its pointless and youll have to go back when you do....I'm finally ready for mine once i find the time to spend hours at the shop
Old 07-02-11, 02:13 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 313 Posts
Assuming your measurements are correct, it looks like you are mostly leg and not so much torso/arm. You can get a 56 and raise the seat (but most likely the head tube will be too short, resulting in too aggressive of a riding position) or you can get a 58-60 with a shorter stem (like 80-90mm). From my experience, the headtube and top tube lengths are the most critical factors in determining a proper fit (at least for folks with relatively longer legs than arms/torso; for folks with relatively shorter legs but longer torso/arms, the compact geometry was invented).
Old 07-02-11, 02:44 AM
coolmingli

Bikes: A2b Metro, Eneloop, Alley Way, Haul 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 5'11, 31 inseams, I ride a 57, it is a little bit big, I lower the seat post and changed the 110 stem to 100, now it rides good.
Old 07-02-11, 04:13 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Obviously you can't use these online fitters as gospel, just a starting point.

Based on your dimensions you will probably do ok on a 58.

Unfortunately I am a freak of nature who is only 6 feet tall with a 38+ inch inseam....so I need custom.

If you have money to burn you could also go custom but seriously I think you would do ok on a 58. If you find the TT feels too stretched out drop down a size or get a slightly shorter stem.

Finally, if you don't want custom you should seek out some traditional italiam steel frames (eg GIOS) they run pretty much exactly what your online calculator came up with.

PM me for details on custom options, but again probably not necessary for you.
Old 07-02-11, 04:30 AM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
This may seem obvious, but maybe you should make sure all the measurements you plugged into the fit calculator are accurate.
Old 07-02-11, 04:31 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
I am 6 2 with 35.25 inseam and ride a 59 and a 61. they both feel fine to ride. I was fitted by a non-pro.......me... and it was cheap and works.
Old 07-02-11, 06:11 AM
Bquillero

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Obviously you can't use these online fitters as gospel, just a starting point.

Based on your dimensions you will probably do ok on a 58.
^^^This. I'm 6'4" and ride a 60. I used to be on a 63 but could never make it fit just right. Never got fully comfortable on it. You should do great on a 58.

Originally Posted by DropDeadFred
pro fit post purchase...your height will tell you what you need to be on then they will spend hours tweaking the smallest details to make the bike "yours"
Also, don't gloss over what DDFred said here ^^^. A pro fit is AFTER you have your bike, to dial it in just perfect for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.