Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What do you do for work?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What do you do for work?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-10, 10:51 PM
meldog
roadie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another mailman here, with Canada Post.

My commute is 13 km on a combination of road and rail trail.

I pedal an old-school Merlin, rigid, fitted with slicks.
Old 05-10-10, 11:04 PM
aley
Goathead Magnet

Bikes: Surly LHT, Cannondale Caffeine F3

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 1 Post
I'm a mechanical engineer. I work for a biotech startup developing diagnostic equipment capable of detecting bloodborne bacterial infections at lower concentrations than can currently be found, and do it in an hour instead of a day or four. My job there is to design the actual machinery, so that the high-field NMR magnet and microcoil align properly with the preprocessing equipment and the microfluidics components and the power supplies aren't overheating the entire apparatus. It's a small company (25 or so employees), so I end up doing a lot of different things, though; this week I'm figuring out why moving our disposable manufacturing into laminar flow clean hoods is resulting in extremely low production yields, writing documentation, and trying to keep the electronic tech from cutting off his fingers in the milling machine.

My ride is 8 miles each way. I wear cycling shorts and a jersey, and change clothes when I get to work (jeans and a polo shirt are typical). We don't have shower facilities (the CEO wouldn't spring the $2600 our contractor quoted to add them to our new lab space), but with the New Mexico dryness I don't generally find it to be a big problem - I sit and cool off until the sweat is dry, then change out of my cycling clothes, wash my face, comb my hair, and I'm good to go. Or at least nobody's complained yet...
Old 05-10-10, 11:23 PM
JiveTurkey
Low car diet

Bikes: 2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Volunteer/program coordinator and Mediator for a non-profit dispute resolution center.
Old 05-10-10, 11:34 PM
jputnam

Bikes: Custom 531ST touring, Bilenky Viewpoint, Bianchi Milano, vintage Condor racer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Writer turned communications manager for sales and marketing at an insurance company. Spend most of my time either writing, editing, or collaborating on ideas for future projects.
Old 05-11-10, 10:24 AM
undisputed83

Bikes: 2011 Litespeed M-1, 1991 Raleigh Technium (Commuter)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This was kind of a fun thread. The overwhelming majority of the commuters here are really well established in some highly technical fields. I guess biking really isn't a poor man's sport.
Old 05-11-10, 10:28 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by stringbreaker
What does it say?
How about that many bike commuters are hardly the down and out crusty low dregs of society that some motorists assume we are...

We are every bit as educated and professional as the guy driving the big new car, but perhaps smarter, as we realize the good we are doing for our bodies and the earth...

Of course the above statement is making quite a few rather biased assumptions... but what the heck, it's only Tuesday.
Old 05-11-10, 10:30 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by undisputed83
This was kind of a fun thread. The overwhelming majority of the commuters here are really well established in some highly technical fields. I guess biking really isn't a poor man's sport.
Or a poor man's mode of transportation.
Old 05-11-10, 10:37 AM
undisputed83

Bikes: 2011 Litespeed M-1, 1991 Raleigh Technium (Commuter)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
How about that many bike commuters are hardly the down and out crusty low dregs of society that some motorists assume we are...

We are every bit as educated and professional as the guy driving the big new car, but perhaps smarter, as we realize the good we are doing for our bodies and the earth...

Of course the above statement is making quite a few rather biased assumptions... but what the heck, it's only Tuesday.

and all that...
Old 05-11-10, 10:38 AM
pharasz
Member from- uh... France

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi Volpe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been in IT for 30 years. I was a COBOL programmer in the 80's. Became an IT manager in the 90's, then more of an IT project manager from 98 to 08. Now I am just a Business Analyst. For the first time in 20 years I'm not managing a staff, working only 40 hours a week, but I'm still making the same salary - which is awesome.

But I've only been bicycle commuting for three years.
Old 05-11-10, 10:47 AM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I was just curious about what you thought it meant. I work in a factory and don't consider myself one of the dregs of society, or a low life.
Old 05-11-10, 11:45 AM
Elad63

Bikes: Too many to count. Changes on a frequent basis.

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ever cyclist nightmare. I am a school bus driver.
Old 05-11-10, 01:15 PM
paul2432

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a feeling that bike commuters who post in on-line forums (which all of us are) are not necessarily representative of bike commuters at-large.

Paul
Old 05-11-10, 01:16 PM
LAG-bolt

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway Hybrid (2010)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
structural designer for a consulting engineering company
Old 05-11-10, 01:16 PM
m_yates

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I disagree. It seems like bike commuters have jobs of all types. It looks to me more like bike commuters represent a wide cross section of society. On this thread I saw: machinist, mailman, librarian, computer programmer, researcher, fitness instructor, professor, business analyst, bus driver, etc.
Old 05-11-10, 01:34 PM
somerslam

Bikes: 2009 Salsa Casseroll Single, 1997 Cannondale F700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Middle School Assistant Principal...

I am truly the dregs of society.
Old 05-11-10, 01:39 PM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
I wonder if motorists realize the "idiot on the bike" they are giving a hard time to, is probably every bit a learned professional as they?
One of my favorite quotes shouted at me by a car driver while I was commuting by bike was, "get a job... maybe then you could afford a car!"

Anyway, I mostly work as a Quality Assurance Analyst... basically I test the functionality of computer applications and systems.
Old 05-11-10, 01:48 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see a lot of people on my commute riding dept store bikes - or really old bikes - in all weather, wearing worker's gloves instead of biking gloves, feet wrapped in plastic bags, without any fancy gear and I bet they don't post here because they probably don't own a computer and because they work hard 14 hours a day, 7 days a week for few bucks an hour. For them it's not sport. They ride to work because they have to, they probably can't afford subway fares and we don't hear from them much. I see them riding even when the weather is bad enough for me to bail out and take the mass transit.

Adam
Old 05-11-10, 01:51 PM
MNBikeguy

Bikes: 05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by somerslam
Middle School Assistant Principal...

I am truly the dregs of society.
My wife hs taught middle school for over 30 years. When she tells me of her workday, plus when I think of the [SARCASM] charming, thoughtful, considerate young man I was in the eighth grade [/SARCASM] my hat goes off to you. It takes a specially trained person.
I seriously think we would be better off using Middle School Assistant Principals as our middle east peace negotiators. You'd get much better results.
Old 05-11-10, 03:45 PM
Ajacobs
MightyMinnieMouse

Bikes: I have a NEXT 21 speed mtn bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a server...making a hair above minnimum wadge, my hubby does dell warrenty work. We each do have a car, not extravigant, but not an old beater. I decided to ride because I am not far away, I have a pretty straight forward route, and I want to feel good about myself. I have not been able to loose weight no matter what I did. Now I am getting a figure back and slowly loosing weight. Some people I see have to ride, some do it for fun, and some do it so we don't have to pay those high gas prices. I have encouraged everyone I know to ride to work if they can. If I had millions of dollars or just a dollar to my name I would enjoy riding, promoting good health and economics of riding.
Old 05-11-10, 04:03 PM
Saintly Loser

Bikes: Nothing special, but it works.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamDZ
I see a lot of people on my commute riding dept store bikes - or really old bikes - in all weather, wearing worker's gloves instead of biking gloves, feet wrapped in plastic bags, without any fancy gear and I bet they don't post here because they probably don't own a computer and because they work hard 14 hours a day, 7 days a week for few bucks an hour. For them it's not sport. They ride to work because they have to, they probably can't afford subway fares and we don't hear from them much. I see them riding even when the weather is bad enough for me to bail out and take the mass transit.

Adam
+1. Those guys are the real hardcore commuters. They ride any old bike they can afford, every day, all year long, in the worst kind of weather, without specialized cycling clothing, carrying their tools, getting cold and wet. And they don't post here. There are plenty of people here in New York for whom the cost of a subway commute ($4.50 for a round trip, so $22.50 per week, assuming a five-day work week, or $31.50 if you work seven days) is a lot of money. Hey, it's a lot of money for me, especially since I got laid off.

Kind of makes me feel like a wimp, leaving my bike home when it rains and taking the subway.
Old 05-11-10, 04:16 PM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Elad63
Ever cyclist nightmare. I am a school bus driver.
You are every cyclist dream bus driver because you are a cyclist. Its the rest of the bus drivers that scare the crap out of us. LOL
Old 05-11-10, 04:16 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Saintly Loser
+1. Those guys are the real hardcore commuters. They ride any old bike they can afford, every day, all year long, in the worst kind of weather, without specialized cycling clothing, carrying their tools, getting cold and wet. And they don't post here. There are plenty of people here in New York for whom the cost of a subway commute ($4.50 for a round trip, so $22.50 per week, assuming a five-day work week, or $31.50 if you work seven days) is a lot of money. Hey, it's a lot of money for me, especially since I got laid off.

Kind of makes me feel like a wimp, leaving my bike home when it rains and taking the subway.
That makes me sad and mad at the same time. There is a heliport near my work where other type of "commuters" can be spotted. Those guys pay for one way daily commute what that minimum wage cyclist makes in a month. But I don't want to hijack the thread. I just don't like when people are judged by what they can or can't afford. No one is "better" because they have higher education and/or make more money or wear a suit to work. This is not in response to any particular post, just saying, we need to be more open minded when looking at issues and making generalizations as there are things that are not apparent to us, at least at first.
Old 05-11-10, 04:18 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Bike mechanic. Lead technician.
Old 05-11-10, 05:04 PM
elkootcho

Bikes: 2011 Look 566 Rival, 2009 Fuji Roubaix pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Art Director in an advertising firm
Old 05-11-10, 08:41 PM
Commodus

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by stringbreaker
I was just curious about what you thought it meant. I work in a factory and don't consider myself one of the dregs of society, or a low life.
I work in a factory too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.