Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Does standover really matter, or...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Does standover really matter, or...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-09, 01:03 AM
robatsu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
+1 The 1981 Voyageur 11.8 I picked up recently came in three sizes, 21 inch, 23 inch, and 25 inch. So I guess back then a 23 inch bike was a "medium".
Same goes for my 1972 Fuji Finest, 21/23/25 were the offerings, and being an average male height, or what used to be average height a couple of decades ago, 5'9", that means the 23 was probably my size by the standards of the day. And it works for me.
Old 02-07-09, 06:14 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Grim
There was a time when it was common for bike manufactures would raise the bottom bracket instead of lowering the to top tube to make a bike fit. The seat post would be the correct length but the raised BB allowed them to shorten the top tube with less tire interference.

Within reason you should be fine. I would be more concerned about reach. If you have to put the seat too far forward you will get into a bad riding position for your knees and/or you will have a tendency to to sit on the nose of the seat and put the hurt on down there. I ride bikes a little short for my legs because most of my height is in my legs. I have a 35inch inseam but only 6ft tall. That makes my comfortable reach more in line with somebody about 5'10".

I'm also in the "long legs, short torso" category. 5'8"(173cm) with a 31.5" inseam(80cm). Had to shorten the stem on my first road bike, I've been getting smaller frames ever since.
Old 02-07-09, 02:42 PM
graywolf

Bikes: Bianchi hybrid. Dunelt 3-sp. Raleigh basket case. Wanting a Roadster.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wrk101
+1 The 1981 Voyageur 11.8 I picked up recently came in three sizes, 21 inch, 23 inch, and 25 inch. So I guess back then a 23 inch bike was a "medium".
I was refering to a bit farther back than the 1980's. The old pre-WWII english roadsters mostly only came in 24 inch and larger. In the 50's most of us kids got a bike at least two inches too big on the principal that we would grow into it. Pre-1965 or so was what I was thinking of.
Old 02-08-09, 03:47 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by bcoppola
...to put it another way, is it OK if the TT contacts the "boys" just a little?

It's just that, see, I'm short. Not quite East Hill(TM) short, but close. And it's really a PITA having to limit myself to 19"/49cm frames when there are nice 20"/50cm frames out there that might just be an inch or less too "big". Especially if the TT length seems OK & won't stretch my old torso out like Superman.
You need to seriously consider a 650B conversion. You can count on the standover height dropping not quite an inch. That plus the extra clearance for fenders. I would start with 700C bike not a 27". When you do a 650B you'll need long reach brakes in 99% of the cases. If you start with a 27" then you'll never get brakes long enough to fit. Good luck
Old 02-08-09, 01:36 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by A.Winthrop
Hi,
This thread is comforting as I bought my twin daughters
identical NOS '84 Casatis of 54cm c-c. They can standover
the TT flatfooted but with no clearence whatsoever. But
it seemed to me that since they didn't have quite the same
problem men have (or think we have), they should be OK
and that seems to be the case as they switch from city
bikes to the Casatis.
I'm 6'4" and can comfortably ride 60-64cm c-c but I need
the 140mm stem extension on the 60cm bike. And I have the
saddles back hard on their rails for extra saddle to
bar length on all my bikes too.
At 6'4" there aren't many bikes too big for you. When your daughters have their cycling shoes on those bikes will probably fit them nicely. BTW, how did a guy that tall get kids that small?
Old 02-08-09, 02:28 PM
jan nikolajsen 
Mostly Mischief

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 24 Posts
I'd rather compromise my nuts than resorting to the visually uninspiring sloping toptube!

Originally Posted by A.Winthrop
..and I have the
saddles back hard on their rails for extra saddle to
bar length on all my bikes too.
OT: I seem to remember reading about the relationship between fore and aft saddle position and pedal stroke efficiency. When I started wrenching 30 years ago, my bike mechanic book said something like this for ideal saddle adjustment: Hang a plumb-bob over the tip of the saddle and it should hover 2-3 cm aft of crank center. Or maybe it was in front... Any pointers?
Old 02-08-09, 02:28 PM
Saintly Loser

Bikes: Nothing special, but it works.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My method of frame fitting is to find the biggest frame I can stand over (with no or minimal clearance) and work with that, using a shorter or longer stem as needed. It's always worked for me, but comfort is my goal, not maximum efficiency. I'm no racer.

Originally Posted by nlerner
I've never felt my proportions were anything other than average (5'10", 160 lbs), but recently I had to buy a dress shirt and got fitted properly. The store employee was doubtful he could find anything for me as I have freakishly long arms and a thin neck (in terms of being fitted for an off-the-shelf dress shirt, anyway). I guess the thin neck comes from my line of work, pencil necks and all that.

Neal
You're in Brookline? There must be a Brooks Brothers in Boston. I have the same problem, except I'm taller (6'2"). They have a 15" neck, 35" sleeve size that fits me just fine. I haven't been able to find that size anywhere else. Comes in button-down and point collar versions. Blue, white, and a few other colors (sometimes), too.
Old 02-08-09, 02:37 PM
ultraman6970

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm not that sure if somebody mentioned this... The reason because stand over does not work that well (it doesnt work, period) as an effective measurement of a frame size is because different bikes have different BB heights. As higher the bb shell from the ground the higher the Top Tube also.

Extreme example only to picture what i'm talking about... you can have two different bikes and two different sizes... lets say one is a 56 and the other is a 49... if the bb of the 49cms one is 45 cms probably the Top tube will be way higher than the 56 cms one that has the usual 26 cms bb height. (I'm just comming up with stupid numbers ok********************????).. so now we have the hipster or the guy who wants to use the stand over size because all his life did it like that... he tries the 56 cms and it is a little bit small then he tries the 49 and he thinks it is the right one, but now he needs a 20cms lenght stem to be able to fit the frame and a seat tube 3x longer than usual and all because somebody told him that the stand over works a rule of gold.

Track bikes have a bb that is 1 or 2 cms higher than road bikes so the TT is 1 - 2 cms higher also. If you use the stand over rule to buy a track frame (HIPSTERS) you end up with a smaller frame than what is really needed. Usually the cheappo line of any brand has a super high BB shell for some reason I can't understand YET. Pretty deformed frames anyways.

Hope this open peoples eyes. Finest frames lines of frames on any brand have sort the the same bb height. The cheappo junk varies too much to even dare to use stand over. Now... what it can happens if the bike you have right now is super old and the bb is like 2 cms lower than the one you have been looking for in the LBS? (attention, they might use stand over also)... yes you'll end up with frame 2 cms smaller and using a longer stem that means that probably you won't feel right in the bike ever no matter what you do to fit it right, yes it is too small.

cya all...
Old 05-13-09, 04:10 PM
Ben Haynes

Bikes: Trek 4500 (main bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I prefer larger frames for my riding style and a straiter leg while riding. By normal standards having a 25 inch racing frame(20 yrs old) and 24 inch frame mountain bike Trek 4500 (1 year old, previous mountain bike 23 inch frame) at 5 foot 9 inches tall inside leg 33 inches they would be considered too tall. Bikes are for riding not standing over. Never had any accidents in all the years I have been riding and find them very comfortable to ride.Standover height is approximately 35 inches. I have ridden smaller frame bikes and find them too cramped.
Old 05-13-09, 04:13 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by Ben Haynes
I prefer larger frames for my riding style and a straiter leg while riding. By normal standards having a 25 inch racing frame(20 yrs old) and 24 inch frame mountain bike Trek 4500 (1 year old, previous mountain bike 23 inch frame) at 5 foot 9 inches tall inside leg 33 inches they would be considered too tall. Bikes are for riding not standing over. Never had any accidents in all the years I have been riding and find them very comfortable to ride.Standover height is approximately 35 inches. I have ridden smaller frame bikes and find them too cramped.
+1 most folks.
Old 05-13-09, 04:46 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by bcoppola
...to put it another way, is it OK if the TT contacts the "boys" just a little?

It's just that, see, I'm short. Not quite East Hill(TM) short, but close. And it's really a PITA having to limit myself to 19"/49cm frames when there are nice 20"/50cm frames out there that might just be an inch or less too "big". Especially if the TT length seems OK & won't stretch my old torso out like Superman.
I think it's just a matter of comfort. Standover height is not fundamental to cycling, unlike tt length and saddle height. Wearing good shorts can protect the "boys" by holding them up and out of the way. If some remaining contact is acceptable, I think the main safety issue is pressure on your pelvic bones. Some people alleviate that by tilting the bike, and I am not sure if I can do that - it's another habit I have not formed.

I'm looking for a frame where teh standover is just about equal to my inseam, so I can get the taller head tube, and raise the handlebars while still using a normal-looking stem. This way with shorts and my usual biking shoes I'll have maybe 2 cm clearance to the bones, and I don't think I'm worried about the "boys."

Road Fan
Old 05-13-09, 04:50 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Originally Posted by graywolf
Stand over height is something that they only started worrying about comparatively recently, in fact it pretty much matches when people started sueing companies because they were stupid and the company did not take that into consideration. In the old days the only thing anyone worried about was whether they could reach the pedals; and I have seen old bikes with blocks on the pedals to make that posible. If you look at some books about bicycle history you will notice that while people were shorter on average back then their bike were much bigger than today.

Personally, I like a frame that I can put one foot on the pedal and the other on the ground which makes it safe to stop at a light, If I tried to straddle it flatfooted it would be a definite "ouch!"
Well, not that recently, bike shops were telling me to have clearance when I straddled back in 1966. For it to be quantified with specific degrees of clearance, that is new.
Old 05-13-09, 04:50 PM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jan nikolajsen
I'd rather compromise my nuts than resorting to the visually uninspiring sloping toptube!

+1 Sloping Top tube makes me cringe. Something about the look that just really turns me off.
Old 05-13-09, 05:03 PM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by Longfemur
It's really hard for me to believe that you would fit over a 49cm frame but not a 50. I think that ideally, you want standover, but, it doesn't have to be an exact thing, just enough that you can straddle it with your feet on the ground. You straddle a frame with your pubic bone, not your boys.

Also, when I hear 49 cm, I immediately think of a European frame measured centre to centre. That's actually about the same or a little taller than a 50 cm frame measured centre to top.
Agree here, with the added caveat of bottom bracket height. If you are worried about standover, you aren't really getting it when you talk about size. A lower bottom bracket lowers the top tube relative to the ground. So does a laid-back seat tube. Both contribute to deternining the standover height.
Old 05-13-09, 05:11 PM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I'm 5'11" with a "junk height" of about 33". That said, I ride a 58 cm Raleigh, ww.5" (57 cm) Univega and a 61 cm Peugeot. All of them "fit" me (i.e. they're comfy, and I could ride them forever) as I have them set up (the Uni has NR bars - drops might be a bit too short), yet the lads are comfortably touching, if that makes sense, on the Raleigh and Unis, the Peugeot is rather uncomfortable to stand over, but I can *kinda* do it flat footed...

Anyway, all that is to say that it doesn't really seem to matter as long as you don't go crazy on it. For instance, even though I could probably ride 63cm, I don't know if I would, and if I go much smaller, I find I'm crouching too much.
Old 05-13-09, 06:39 PM
robatsu

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I think a lot of this standover stuff was originally initiated by the CPSC, when they started saying people had to have one inch of clearance for a properly fitted/safe bike. Once this happened, bike companies more or less had to toe the line, otherwise putting themselves at risk of being sued for selling "unsafe" products. Rivendell is one of the makers that clearly chafes at this and while they make a big deal about PBH and what their very liberal definition of one inch of clearance is, you can practically hear them muttering under their breath that standover doesn't matter and you should buy a bike like they used to be sized in the 70's.

Speaking of that, when I look back at old fuji catalogs, you see that a lot of the models were offered in 21", 23", and 25", e.g, small, medium, and large. So a 58 cm or so was considered medium then, suitable for a guy of average height like me at 5'9". And that is around the size I ride, which doesn't allow me anything approaching a flat-footed standover. But it is no big deal, at stops, the bike is tilted, usually w/one foot in the pedal.

I went through the deal in the 90's for a little while riding 21" or so bikes and I'm real glad to have come back to larger ones and ignored the CPSC.
Old 05-13-09, 11:25 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Touching the boys "just a little" is okay. Having the boys crammed into your pubic bone is not so okay. If you can straddle the bike and lift it a couple of inches before it is pressed hard against your pubic bone, the odds of you doing anything awful to your naughty bits coming off the saddle is pretty minute.

I say, go get that 50cm frame. The 650c suggestion is also a good one.
Old 05-14-09, 07:09 AM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by jan nikolajsen

OT: I seem to remember reading about the relationship between fore and aft saddle position and pedal stroke efficiency. When I started wrenching 30 years ago, my bike mechanic book said something like this for ideal saddle adjustment: Hang a plumb-bob over the tip of the saddle and it should hover 2-3 cm aft of crank center. Or maybe it was in front... Any pointers?
I would agree that if the plumb line is not behind the BB, you're likely to be too far forward, but let's look at what's really happening. You are pedaling the bike, and your butt takes on some positoin on the saddle. After being fully warmed up, that position essentially represents the leg/pedal geometry that is natural for you, KOPS or no KOPS. For rear end comfort, the saddle needs to be placed so that it best supports you on your sitbones when pedaling in that location. I see nothing in this that makes the good spot corresponds to a saddle nose that is 2-3 cm behind the BB.

Road Fan
Old 05-14-09, 11:27 AM
Rustyoldbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I prefer tall "traditional" frames, so on my favorite bikes, the top tube will brush against my jeans if I stand flat footed over the bike. Not enough pressure to be uncomfortable, but enough to be noticed. But, when riding these bikes, they fit me perfectly, and their longer headtubes make it easy to get the bars up where I like them (with the highest part of the bars level with the top of the saddle).
I've read the "theory" that in an accident, having a smaller frame with a couple of inches of "stand over" space is safer than a tall frame with zero standover space. But, in "real life", any accident that sends a rider flying off the saddle onto the top tube is gonna hurt, whether the drop from the saddle to the top tube is five inches or whether it is ten inches.
Old 05-14-09, 05:11 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 228 Posts
My spouse has relatively short legs, and can only really get on a cross bike, so she has the opposite problem. Tall frames with relaxed geometry are the way to go.
Old 05-14-09, 05:53 PM
Kommisar89
Bottecchia fan

Bikes: 1959 Bottecchia Milano-Sanremo (frame), 1966 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1971 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1973 Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1974 Bottecchia Special, 1977 Bottecchia Special (frame), 1974 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
You guys are cracking me up, now I can't get that song out of my head...'some are held for charity and some for fancy dress, but when they're held for pleasure they're the ones that I like best'. Anyway, I really don't understand that whole sloping top tube, bear riding a bicycle look so common today. With average BB height (whatever that might be) 22 inches is probably perfect for me with a 30-in inseam (not the fancy PBH measurement Rivendell talks about - that would probably be an inch or two more) but as someone pointed out many bikes came in 21, 23, and 25 inch size. I could ride a 25 with the saddle jammed all the way down but it would look kind of silly and I could ride a 21 with a really long seat post - probably longer than what was available in the C&V period. But 22-23 is perfect and leaves about 4-5 inches of seatpost showing. I can stand over a 22 inch with just a bit of clearance or a 23 inch just touches in bike shoes. My speed modulators probably don't generate enough force to cause me to slide off the saddle anyway and if I'm hitting something or otherwise in a position to be flying off the saddle and landing on the top tube I seriously doubt that extra inch is going to help. IIRC, the only time I had any such incident, it was a crushed helmet, broken collar bone, and the dualie rear wheels of that damned tow truck coming at me that I was concerned about. The boys did just fine.
Old 05-14-09, 06:29 PM
roseskunk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if the frame is too big, just ride it when it's cold. the "boys" will be riding higher...
Old 05-14-09, 07:21 PM
JohnnyBee

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by onetwentyeight
tt length + stem length is the primary thing I care about when doing bike fittings. as long as youre careful when you hop off the saddle to not hurt yourself you should be okay.

Yep, gotta second that one. Think about it ... where does one spend
the most time on the bike - riding it, or straddling it ?

There is a margin of allowance when it comes to stand-over, but
very little once in the saddle and pedaling. You have to be comfortable.
The saddle height, TT length, and stem length are very important.

If you choose to ride a slightly taller frame, just be careful to unload
properly so you won't be singing Soprano :

JohnnyBee.
Old 05-14-09, 08:44 PM
dit

Bikes: 2 Centurian Ironman, Rossin Genisis, Greenspeed GT3, Stowaway (wife)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My old custom made sports touring frame is 52cm but it has a 55cm tt. I recently built up a 56 cm frame with a 56 cm tt. I have found the reach on the new bike to be too long but it has a 110mm stem. I am changing the stem to a 70 cm (compliments of Robbietunes)while the old bike has a 75mm stem and the reach will be almost identical to my old bike and I think all will be well with the world. Now if I can just talk wifie into a brooks saddle to match the old bike.......