Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was your Christmas commute?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-15, 09:38 AM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts

Here in NYC my 615AM 6 mile commute was gorgeous. The temperature was a comfortably warm but disconcerting 53 degrees. The roads were empty and I made it to work a full 4 minutes quicker than usual since the threat of motorists was greatly reduced. The ride home looks to be in the mid 60's and sunny. Just... plain... odd... for December in this part of the world.
Old 12-25-15, 12:20 PM
profstack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't commute on holidays. But I ride.
Old 12-25-15, 03:41 PM
Saintly Loser

Bikes: Nothing special, but it works.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Commute was OK. But for some reason I decided to ride over the Brooklyn Bridge (I'm in Brooklyn, commuting to midtown Manhattan, in New York City) rather than my usual ride over the Manhattan Bridge.

The Brooklyn Bridge is simply not usable for bicycles anymore. There are just too many people on the walkway, spilling over on to the bike path. There isn't enough room. I think it's probably inevitable that the bridge will have to be closed to bicycle traffic.
Old 12-25-15, 05:22 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
no worky today.
no ride either - festivities and dinner with friends.
maybe tomorrow.
Old 12-25-15, 06:11 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
I commuted yesterday. It snowed when I was at work so I rode home on fresh snow:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0499.jpg (103.2 KB, 101 views)
Old 12-25-15, 07:18 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I'm off work all week, so no commuting. However, I managed to squeeze in a 25-mile ride this afternoon. It has been raining all week here, and my plans for a vacation week full of riding have floated down the river. I actually could have ridden on Christmas Eve as well, but we had workmen at the house all day and I couldn't leave.
Old 12-25-15, 07:33 PM
benetga

Bikes: Trek 1.1, Nashbar Carbon105 , Specialized Rockhopper-SS, Aventon Aventure

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I see you have a eclipse pannier. I wasn't aware they made bicycle products. I had one of their tank bags on a Suzuki GS 850 back in the late 70's. Nice bag.
Old 12-25-15, 07:48 PM
heywood

Bikes: 2013 Brodie Section 8 , 2014 Easy Motion Neo City e-bike

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Loving it! next to no traffic.. Working New Years too.. just be careful of the stressed out angry drivers ENJOYING!!!!!! the holidays..
Old 12-25-15, 07:48 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by benetga
I see you have a eclipse pannier. I wasn't aware they made bicycle products. I had one of their tank bags on a Suzuki GS 850 back in the late 70's. Nice bag.
Those eclipse bags are old; eclipse made very well respected bike touring gear back in the 80s. The bike dates from the 80s as well, .

Last edited by bikemig; 12-25-15 at 11:30 PM.
Old 12-25-15, 10:21 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tarwheel
I'm off work all week, so no commuting. However, I managed to squeeze in a 25-mile ride this afternoon. It has been raining all week here, and my plans for a vacation week full of riding have floated down the river.
Same here in west Georgia. Record high temps and rain.

Traditional family stuff yesterday........my oldest son picked me up for annual Christmas dinner at GrandMa's. Early and lasted all day.

Today the threat of rain was in the clouds all morning. Early afternoon I decided "So what, it's 75 degrees!" Took road bike out for first time in new incarnation longer than a short commute. Was having problems in the past month. Made some lucky guesses in setup changes. 19 miles today without problems. Woo Hoo!!!!

Back home......listened to the Crosby, Stills and Nash album.
"Teach,........your children well......"
My oldest son bought me a 12 pack of Shiner Bock for my Christmas present.
CS&N was right.
Old 12-26-15, 10:41 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I and my BIL took a short ride. I'm slow even on a road bike given my bum ticker; he's a Socal skater dude and he goofs around doing wheelies and slides on his MTB next to me. He complains he can't ride out a manual or ride no-hands-no-feet; I can't relate but I'm glad he hangs with me. I told him he needs to teach my kid to pump a BMX bike because I don't have the first clue.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 12-26-15, 10:45 AM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
No commutes until Tuesday. Winter is about a month late but finally showed up last night. My commutes will be a little more challenging for the next couple of months or so but that's OK.
Old 12-26-15, 11:23 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
No riding to work for me this week (OFF) but it has also been rainy all week as well. I decided to run this week while traveling instead of bringing the bike and subjecting it to hundreds of miles on the back of the van in the rain. So far this week 12 miles running and I hope run some more today!

I hope to commute some next week but the rain is making me debate it more than usual.
Old 12-26-15, 11:36 AM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
No riding to work for me this week (OFF) but it has also been rainy all week as well. I decided to run this week while traveling instead of bringing the bike and subjecting it to hundreds of miles on the back of the van in the rain. So far this week 12 miles running and I hope run some more today!

I hope to commute some next week but the rain is making me debate it more than usual.
I'm hoping we are done with rain until March but it might be wishful thinking.
Old 12-26-15, 01:16 PM
GovernorSilver

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Jamis Renegade Expert

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Having to work on Christmas and thus commute...

vs. not being able to ride at all, commute or not.

I'd gladly take the former.
Old 12-26-15, 01:34 PM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts
@Saintly Loser. I feel the same way. I rode over Brooklyn Bridge laSt Monday and it was harrowing. There are just too many clueless people on the bridge and now that they are doing construction it is even less safe because of the decreased space.
@vol I rode the Greenway the other day and it was pretty clear. I try to do it at least once a week.
Old 12-26-15, 10:09 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 1,017 Posts
Very thick fog. My commute generally starts at 3:30 to 4 AM...I left at 4 AM and was only going to be in the office a couple of hours. When I left the house, it was light fog, but not too bad, nothing I was overly concern with. As I kept going, it got much thicker. There was a major intersection where I could not see the traffic lights and I did not even realize I was crossing through it until I saw a light post that sort of sticks out on the right. It was a very odd feeling. When I walked outside to leave, the sun still had not made an appearance and the fog was even thicker. I was not real happy about riding home in this crap and was way to early and honestly unsafe for my wife to come and get me. For the most part in the area's I was really concerned about, there are long sections of side walk and no worry of cars cross them, so I stuck to them just to stay safe.

While I figured traffic would light to non-existent....why take chances.

Once the Fog lifted, I took my road bike out for a 40 miler. A present to myself for having to go into the office since they shut my desk system down and I could not log in remotely....

Last edited by jaxgtr; 12-26-15 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-27-15, 07:38 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,481 Times in 1,440 Posts
My wife are off from work for a few days. She works at a Catholic school, and I work at a Catholic college.

Yesterday, we rode to a party in Astoria, Queens, about 8 miles away. It's pretty adventurous for my wife to take on 8 miles of city riding, including crossing the Queensboro Bridge. Even more adventurous was that while the weather is abnormally warm, it was colder than her usual limit. It was in the 40's, I think. But we dressed well, and we were comfy. We even got some strong gusts, and we noticed they were quite tolerable.

We had planned to ride the subway back, but then she said, let's see how we go. We can get on the subway before the bridge. But then she said, let's find the entrance to the bridge. And we rode all the way home.

NYC has more tourists this week than I have seen in my life. Getting through midtown late at night was insane. Pedestrian traffic was a greater hindrance than vehicle traffic. I should have taken video. It was amazing.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-27-15, 11:00 PM
mannie3moon

Bikes: Raleigh Cadent; Specialized Secteur

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Didn't commute as I was off for the holiday and most businesses were closed. I did ride one of the local trails, though. Beautiful 85F weather and sunny .

'Twas the night before Christmas
And all through the house
The AC was running
'Cause we live in the South!
Old 12-29-15, 08:57 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
I'm hoping we are done with rain until March but it might be wishful thinking.
apparently we are not done with it. I was prepping to ride this morning but pouring rain, wind gusts 10-20 mph, and 42F I just decided to drive. I hope I can make it to my next mileage goal by the end of the year. 34 miles to 4700 for the year!

Last edited by RidingMatthew; 12-29-15 at 09:05 AM.
Old 12-29-15, 09:24 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I somehow managed to ride about 120 miles over Christmas weekend, 25 miles on Friday, 45 on Saturday and 52 on Sunday. The rides were all squeezed between rain showers, with wet roads most of the time but no soakings. That brought my total cycling miles above 9,000 for 2015, the third year in a row that I've topped 9K -- much of that due to my commute distance increasing from about 22 to 31 miles am few years ago. About half of my mileage is from commuting.