Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Eddy Merckx Road Bike - Value

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-14, 01:06 PM
epeepe29

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eddy Merckx Road Bike - Value

This is my first post and I'm reaching out to try and get a ball park figure on what my bike is worth.
I don't have any pictures but I will try to describe is as best as I can.

The frame is in excellent condition (no crashes) and it looks like the frame posted here in ebay

https://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...2oKHOw7Jvw.jpg

It has complete Campy Super-Record set (not Record-C), front/rear hubs, bottom bracket, crank, front/rear derraillers, brakes. The stem and seat post is a Cinelli X/A I believe.

The handle bar is a 3TTT and it seems to have a smooth white leather wrapping with black pantograph type stitching when viewed head on.

The wheels are fitted for sew-ups and have a aero edge (no flat on top).

I believe it is Columbus SL (not sure if it was SLX)

I purchased the bike back in 1988 from Roy's Sheepshead Cycle shop in Brooklyn New York. I was new but was a floor model at that time.

I paid $1250 for it back then (amazingly I still have the receipt) and was told it was a good deal back then.

The bike has been sitting in a dry basement for the last 20+ years, but of course the tires are dry and the rubber brake hoods are stiff and cracked.

Does anyone have any idea what this bike might be worth if I decide to sell it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-05-14, 01:20 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Neet to post here: Classic and Vintage Bicycles: What's it Worth? Appraisals and Inquiries
Old 05-05-14, 01:46 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Drool.
Old 05-05-14, 01:54 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
Worth what someone will pay, not a penny more.
Old 05-05-14, 02:06 PM
Cache

Bikes: 1982 Torker BMX, 1990 Cannondale Black Lightning, 1996 Cannondale F400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike value depends upon a few factors, most notably your ability to market it properly. There are a billion posts in this forum about how best to photograph your bike to maximize sales. Ready to ride usually brings a few more dollars. On the plus side, Merckx with full super record is desirable. Original owner with receipt should add value, buyers will appreciate that it hasn't been monkeyed with extensively, or stripped of valuable parts and replaced with lesser. If you decide to sell through a global/internet venue, your lack of previous experience shipping high value bikes could be a detriment to maximum value, or will limit you to local buyers. Which of course leads to your location. Southern Cali, Metro NY, other bigger metro areas, bikes go for more money then ones in oshkosh, izakistan. Get some pics up for a true valuation. Also, extremely small or tall bikes can limit speed of sales locally, and may affect ultimate value as you approach the extremes of the bell curve. And finally, if two folks are looking for the exact same bike at the exact same time, a healthy competition could up your final price. Good luck.
Old 05-05-14, 02:08 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
Already taken care of
Old 05-05-14, 06:02 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Condition, condition, condition. If it's minty it could be worth fifty percent more than if it's not. Or more.
So, take some good, well lit photos and post them up.
Old 05-11-14, 01:43 PM
dshap

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are pics of the OP's bike. It's located in NYC, so probably a decent market here.

There is no rust. It's just dirt accumulated from sitting in a closet for 20 years that is easily coming off with a damp paper towel.

\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
Old 05-11-14, 01:57 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I like it very much.

It's probably worth more on eBay than CL, but people without much eBay feedback shouldn't expect top dollar. I'd like a photo of the crank as well. Some nice and desirable EM panto here. Dig the stitched leather tape as well. Maybe try and clean that with some soapy water, or some winded. Magic sponge might help. This sounds nit picky, but it helps presentation - either lose the cages or have them match.

Check the serial number and see if you can nail down the model. I'm not enough of a Merckx expert to ID that from photos.

On CL - in Philly - it's worth a good but, but pricey bikes languish here. You have to get lucky and find a well heeled buyer. I might be able to get $1000 on CL or it, but it might also sit. For a while.

On eBay, presented well, with a seller with the right feed back...maybe 1200-1300ish is my rough estimate based on what I see. It wouldn't surprise me if it went plus/minus 300 or more in either direction since it's a bit large. I'd go BIN price, not auction.

I might even try selling it here.
Old 05-12-14, 10:43 AM
dshap

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Based on the serial it's a 1984-1985 Professional. It has Columbus SL tubing.

Are those worth more/less/same than similarly equipped Corsa's?

Also, does the original, and dirty, stitched on leather bar wraps affect the value, or should I replace them with new tape?

PS: I got the bike from the OP, that's why I'm posting about it now.

Last edited by dshap; 05-12-14 at 01:17 PM.