Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I was Refused Service at McDonalds

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I was Refused Service at McDonalds

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-18, 06:52 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I suppose I should take "pride" in not listening to the music genres that other BF posters seem to like based on what they post on threads in Foo and elsewhere on BF.

Would bragging about it make me as special as someone who takes pride in his delusions about his superior taste buds and eye for attractive food display?
That was great.
Old 06-20-18, 07:44 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
This is just one reason I don't do McDonald's:

Old 06-20-18, 07:56 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
This is just one reason I don't do McDonald's:
I went and looked up the pesticide he says they use, "Monitor" and turns out it has not been used in the US since 2009, or 6 years before the video was made.

Once you get a basic fact like that wrong, it is hard to consider anything more complicated than simple fact checking as being accurate.
Old 06-20-18, 07:57 AM
NameTaken

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought it was common knowledge that you have to be in a vehicle to use a drive through. Most places have a sign up to let you know. You are basically standing in a traffic lane, albeit a slow one. Also, don't argue with minimum wage employees, They don't get paid enough to deal with your ****. McDonalds doesn't care about them so why would they care about losing your 50 cent ice cream cone. Not saying you are an entitled old man but that's how you come off in this situation, at least from the fast food employee's perspective.

Last edited by cb400bill; 06-20-18 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Please do not bypass the forum censor
Old 06-20-18, 08:09 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
I walked into a Subway once with my bike. Leaned it up against a wall behind a table. Ordered and ate my sandwich without a problem. I have not frequented McDonald's for at least 20 years.

Old 06-20-18, 08:17 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I think the OP was lucky being refused service. That probably added on some extra years to his life.
Old 06-20-18, 08:19 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Would bragging about it make me as special as someone who takes pride in his delusions about his superior taste buds and eye for attractive food display?
I didn't say thing about superior. I merely voiced my pinion that it tastes bad. I don't like the taste of chocolate. I don't think that means I have superior taste buds. I think it means I don't like the taste of chocolate. Your insecurity is unfortunate.

And I am most certainly proud of having the fortitude to resist consuming food that is scientifically engineered to hook people. You really think that smoked flavor in McNuggets dipping sauce is natural? It's not. It was engineered, quite possibly in NJ. There is a corridor that runs along the Turnpike that is home to several companies that chemically engineer food flavorings and scents that are designed to cause hyper stimulations in the human brain.
Old 06-20-18, 08:29 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by rgconner
I went and looked up the pesticide he says they use, "Monitor" and turns out it has not been used in the US since 2009, or 6 years before the video was made.

Once you get a basic fact like that wrong, it is hard to consider anything more complicated than simple fact checking as being accurate.
Well that's good to know. Though it does make you wonder what pesticide they are using on those potatoes.
Old 06-20-18, 08:33 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by OBoile
Yeah, it's amazing how much pride some people seem to take from not eating at places like McDonald's.
I don't take pride in not eating there, I just don't eat there. I'm currently in the process of losing weight, and if I'm going to take on that big of a calorie load I'll eat something that tastes better and I enjoy eating. McDonald's just isn't in my weight loss/management plan.

Same goes for junk food... I don't take pride in not eating it any more, I just quit eating it. I'm happy that I changed my diet but I don't consider myself a "food snob" because others enjoy eating junk food.
Old 06-20-18, 08:38 AM
OBoile

I don't take pride in not eating there, I just don't eat there. I'm currently in the process of losing weight, and if I'm going to take on that big of a calorie load I'll eat something that tastes better and I enjoy eating. McDonald's just isn't in my weight loss/management plan.

Same goes for junk food... I don't take pride in not eating it any more, I just quit eating it. I'm happy that I changed my diet but I don't consider myself a "food snob" because others enjoy eating junk food.
Nothing wrong with not eating there. I just find the need to come and announce that fact on a message board a bit silly. Particularly when it isn't exactly relevant to the conversation at hand.
Old 06-20-18, 09:07 AM
Milton Keynes

Nothing wrong with not eating there. I just find the need to come and announce that fact on a message board a bit silly. Particularly when it isn't exactly relevant to the conversation at hand.
It is when I expressed wonder that cyclists not being served in McD's drive-thrus is an issue, since McD's is not exactly known for selling healthy food and most cyclists tend to be at least a little health conscious.
Old 06-20-18, 09:09 AM
OBoile

It is when I expressed wonder that cyclists not being served in McD's drive-thrus is an issue, since McD's is not exactly known for selling healthy food and most cyclists tend to be at least a little health conscious.
No, it still isn't very relevant, and it still comes across as an attempt to show how great you are for not eating there.
Old 06-20-18, 09:15 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
"Most cyclists" are not well represented by the BF cycling enthusiasts who display their bike/food snobbery and/or OCD tendencies with banal and hackneyed Walmart/McDonalds bashing as well as "health consciousness" trollery.
Old 06-20-18, 10:53 AM
Milton Keynes

No, it still isn't very relevant, and it still comes across as an attempt to show how great you are for not eating there.
Well that definitely wasn't my intention.
Old 06-20-18, 11:16 AM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Where I live there aren't many 24hr food places. Sadly McD's is only one of three with the others being 7/11 and Royal Farms. Since I work a day job when I'm off I sometimes like to ride my bike late at night. During the summer months sometimes I get an itch for some ice cream or a milk shake. McD's is certainly not a place I eat at on a regular basis but it is within a short ride distance to where I live. I could ride to McD's ( and I have a small lock ) but my bike has several easy grab items on it so I'd feel uncomfortable leaving it in a place where I couldn't watch it. Wish there was a Checkers near me. Not that I like the food all that much but they do have the walk-up windows. Anyone know what the policy is at Taco Bell?

The community I live in ( Columbia, Md. ) has a vast network of paved MUP's ( check it out on Open Steet Maps ). That said it amazes me that very few businesses in the area seem to cater to anyone on a bike. I see very few ( in any ) bike racks in front of any of the local stores. At the local Wendy's I've seen a bike ridden by one of the employees chained to a tree so there you go. I could write a letter to the local Improvement Assoc. but I doubt that would do any good. ( I live in Columbia, Md. Howard Co. ). Oh how I wish Howard Co. was a more like Silver Spring in Montgomery Co. ( Md. ) Downtown Silver Spring now has bike lanes painted green with barriers and even has "public use bikes" on racks in various areas. I see people riding around in downtown Silver Spring all the time. Bikes and bike racks all over the place. It looks absolutely wonderful. Wish my county would adopt the same policies. Hell, I'd be happy if the local government would just tell all the local businesses that they have to have a bike rack in front of their stores.

Last edited by 01 CAt Man Do; 06-20-18 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-20-18, 11:20 AM
northtexasbiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a Whataburger man myself.
Old 06-20-18, 01:45 PM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 65 Posts
Just had some Mcd chicken strips, and it was pretty darn good.
Old 06-20-18, 02:10 PM
tornado60

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
I used to work at McDonalds. Although we never refused cyclist at the drive through it was discouraged. The main reason being they didn't set of the bell to let us know someone was at the drive up speaker. If I remember right it was weight activated. Non motorized traffic just wasn't heavy enough to set it off. There may also have been some concern for drivers pulling around and hitting them. But mostly; it was because we often didn't even know they were there.
Old 06-20-18, 02:52 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Maybelater
I was out riding tonight on my single speed and didn't plan on any stops so I left my lock at home. I rode by a McDonalds and thought a ice cream would be nice. I couldn't risk leaving my bike unattended so I tried to order at the drive up speaker. I was refused service because my bike is not considered a motor vehicle. I explained that I couldn't leave my bike outside without a lock. They didn't care so I spoke to their manager and got the same answer. Apparently they don't like ride up customers or grumpy old men on bikes. I suggested they don't want my business and was told they don't want my business. So much for that relaxing ride. Am I being hypersensitive or is their corporate policy a few fries short of a happy meal?
They did you a favor.
Old 06-20-18, 03:39 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz

And I am most certainly proud of having the fortitude to resist consuming food that is scientifically engineered to hook people. You really think that smoked flavor in McNuggets dipping sauce is natural? It's not. It was engineered, quite possibly in NJ. There is a corridor that runs along the Turnpike that is home to several companies that chemically engineer food flavorings and scents that are designed to cause hyper stimulations in the human brain.
Fast food is just as addictive as cocaine and heroin...A typical chicken or fish sandwich probably only contains 50% meat, the other 50% are " secret blend of proprietary ingredients" that cause people to get addicted and come for more.
Old 06-20-18, 03:39 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
@BlazingPedals
Except that there's law against descrimination in restuarants.
It's perfectly legal to 'discriminate,' as long as it isn't against a protected group. For instance, they are justified in denying service to anyone who has no money or credit. Are they discriminating by not providing a hitching post for horses, or is it just that they're willing to lose the ride-in revenue?

And again, good luck with getting the restaurants to change by discussing it here.
Old 06-20-18, 04:03 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Fast food is just as addictive as cocaine and heroin...
Here's a simple test to prove/dis-prove your assertion:
Have a Big Mac for lunch w/ fries every day for a week, then shoot-up some Mexican Brown every day for a week and see which you now have an unbearable all consuming physical and psychological craving for..

My guess would be: The Smack.

-Bandera
Old 06-20-18, 05:40 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Are they discriminating by not providing a hitching post for horses, or is it just that they're willing to lose the ride-in revenue?
Nah, they just go through the drive thru

https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2018/02/13/woman-rides-horse-through-wendys-drive-thru-says-its-been-on-her-bucket-list-for-years.html
Old 06-20-18, 07:24 PM
jfoobar

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
Have a Big Mac for lunch w/ fries every day for a week, then shoot-up some Mexican Brown every day for a week and see which you now have an unbearable all consuming physical and psychological craving for..
Yeah, this belief is mostly just another example of how bad science reporting is within the mass media. Studies have shown that high fat/high sugar foods can cause physical cravings of the same sort as some narcotics, but that doesn't mean that the cravings are nearly as strong. Spend a little time listening to stories from recovering heroin addicts and I don't think any objective person could come away thinking that Quarter Pounders and Smack are even in the same ballpark in terms of physical addiction. Still, unhealthy food addiction issues are truly nothing to scoff at either, most especially when they affect children.
Old 06-20-18, 10:05 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
I've done something similar to that experiment but with morphine injections instead of Mexican Brown. Had some cold sweats when I quit but absolutely no desire to have any more morphine once the pain was gone. Not all that strong a desire for a Big Mac either, but it sounds much more appealing than more morphine - especially after my 77 miles of riding today.

Last edited by prathmann; 06-20-18 at 10:08 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.